closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice for a 40th Birthday

Craftsman

Advice for a 40th Birthday

Hi TZ folks, looking for a wee bit of help please. My niece has asked if I can help her to find a watch for her husband’s 40th birthday. The difficulty is that she has a budget of £1,000 but knows that he likes chronographs like the Speedmaster, Carrera, El Primero and Navitimer, all well outside her budget. She’s looking for a new watch rather than second hand, so my question was; can anyone suggest alternatives to those mentioned which might fall within her budget? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Master
    Is he in to watches, as such? What does he have already? Is a recognisable brand name important?

Craftsman
    Not big into watches no, but I think he’d like to be. Not sure what he has already, I’ll try and get some info from niece. I think a recognisable name would be good, but not essential.

Don't Steinhart have a load of chronographs for under a grand?

Bulova moonwatch?

Craftsman
    Bulova did cross my mind and Steinhart do have a few nice Chronos, I’ll mention them to her.

Master
    If it’s £1000 then I’d suggest a Longine Conquest Chrono . Hamilton , Mido , Certina , Junghans all come to mind. Personal choice would be the Longine.

A used but very nice Speedmaster reduced, or a well priced Seamaster.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The OP stated must be new as it’s non WIS purchase. A £1000 2nd hand I grant you could open up possibilities.

Although they may not welcome a 500 Service bill on a 2nd hand chrono so I think I would try to find something that is less likely to be a potential liability to them if not enthusiasts ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Although they may not welcome a 500 Service bill on a 2nd hand chrono so I think I would try to find something that is less likely to be a potential liability to them if not enthusiasts ?

Totally agree, takes me back to my own 40th watch, a Tag Carrera Calibre 16 day date Chronograph.
    Tag was my grail watch for many years and loved the chronograph but made my eyes water when it went for a £400 + service especially given the value if I was to.sell.
    For the kind of money you have available I would go for a new non Chronograph less known brand, plenty available with a few mentioned in above post.
    I think Oris make some very nice watches for around the money you are talking.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote “he likes chronographs” Unquote...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Maybe a quartz chronograph like an alpina might be an option ?

Seiko?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    When she first asked me, this was my thought, but she ruled out the pre-owned option unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    If it’s £1000 then I’d suggest a Longine Conquest Chrono . Hamilton , Mido , Certina , Junghans all come to mind. Personal choice would be the Longine.
    Longines was one of my first thoughts too. Had a quick search on Certina tonight, and there’s a couple of models there that might fit the bill.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Seiko?

There’s a Seiko Astron GPS Solar on Chrono24 that’s slightly above her budget, but which looked a lovely watch to me. I think Seiko is a decent prospect actually. Might go trawl the Seiko thread.

How about a vintage/birth year chronograph? I know no second-hand stuff, but stating it as “vintage” instead might be more acceptable.

Craftsman
    At that price level,Longines.
    Personally,though,for the price I would look at Seiko quartz or preowned,as has already been mentioned.
    f it wasn't for the need of a chronograph so many other options would open up.

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Hi TZ folks, looking for a wee bit of help please. My niece has asked if I can help her to find a watch for her husband’s 40th birthday. The difficulty is that she has a budget of £1,000 but knows that he likes chronographs like the Speedmaster, Carrera, El Primero and Navitimer, all well outside her budget. She’s looking for a new watch rather than second hand, so my question was; can anyone suggest alternatives to those mentioned which might fall within her budget? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Have look at Christopher ward
    They do some great value stuff
    5 year warranty.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This comes up often on here. As a watch is a personal thing it would make sense to take the birthday boy out shopping and tell him he has a grand to spend on the watch of his choice. I know that's what I would want.

I know it goes against the new and chronograph requirement but if I had £1k to spend right now I’d be looking at the Longines Legend Diver on SC, it’s lovely.

Master
    One thing I would add and I’ve owned 5 Seiko so don’t have a downer on them. But the guy has probably seen Rolex, Omega , Breitling , Tag , Longine and may be aware of Tudor. His Seiko experience will probably be mass jewellery chain. We can go on all we want about the differing Seiko levels but it’s often buy a nice Swiss first then branch out into Seiko and German Brands.
    If I was relatively new into Watches I reckon if I had a choice it would be well known Swiss as the first choice.

If you want a well known watch brand and a chronograph for £1000 then a quartz Tag Heuer F1 may be the best option. Have a look on iconic watches. They usually have pretty good prices.
    Last edited by sandman; 21st January 2018 at 11:18.

If second hand is an option I’d put a WTB on here for a used Sinn 103 acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    There’s a Seiko Astron GPS Solar on Chrono24 that’s slightly above her budget, but which looked a lovely watch to me. I think Seiko is a decent prospect actually. Might go trawl the Seiko thread.

Definitely and for 1k, some absolute crackers can be had.

Craftsman
    For less, you could push towards a tissots, certinas, with ETA movements.. maybe the best option

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app