closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lack of Rolex sports models worldwide-new movement due possibly?

Lack of Rolex sports models worldwide-new movement due possibly?

I’m In New York at the moment and having visited 3 Rolex ADs, there is not a steel sports model to be seen. I asked one of the guys in the main Rolex AD about availability and he said he personally believes that Rolex will be fitting the newer movements which have 70hr power reserves into the sports models after this years Basle. It got me thinking that he could definitely be onto something. We all assume there are no sports Rolex in UK due to the weak pound but there are none here either. I think it could be totally plausible...(Rolex have already fitted the movement into some datejust models)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I’m In New York at the moment and having visited 3 Rolex ADs, there is not a steel sports model to be seen. I asked one of the guys in the main Rolex AD about availability and he said he personally believes that Rolex will be fitting the newer movements which have 70hr power reserves into the sports models after this years Basle. It got me thinking that he could definitely be onto something. We all assume there are no sports Rolex in UK due to the weak pound but there are none here either. I think it could be totally plausible...(Rolex have already fitted the movement into some datejust models)
    Isn't it fitted to the 43mm SD?
    It would be logical for it to eventually be fitted to the Sub et al.

Maybe, but I wouldn't place any confidence in an AD's opinion. Rolex likely wouldn't tell ADs that far in advance, and they're a notorious source of nonsense information at the best of times.

I don't doubt it'll happen at some point, though. The new movement fits inside the DateJust 41mm as well as the Sea Dweller 43mm, so sizing shouldn't be an issue, and the 313x series has been around a long time now (though it's still superb & has evolved over the years).

As usual, we'll only really know when Rolex want us to.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Isn't it fitted to the 43mm SD?
    It would be logical for it to eventually be fitted to the Sub et al.
    And the DateJust 41 126300

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will that mean larger cases?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I don’t think so. The new DateJust 41 is a bit smaller and more proportionate than the outgoing DateJust II.

For those of you that own watches with the new movement, aside for the improved (And welcome) power reserve and improvements made to the escapement system, are you experiencing better accuracy in comparison to the current 31xx series movements?

I believe a new Sub or GMT with the 70-hour calibre would be well worth waiting for...

Given that the Tudor in-house movement has 70 hours, the reserve in most Rolexes seems weak by comparison.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Given that the Tudor in-house movement has 70 hours, the reserve in most Rolexes seems weak by comparison.
    That's because the Tudor is based on the Breitling B01 movement hence the very good power-reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That's because the Tudor is based on the Breitling B01 movement hence the very good power-reserve.
    It’s a fairly good movement know but problematic when Breitling first released it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I saw a few today but the less popular models. A few OP, the new air king (much bigger than I thought) a couple of milguas.

I think he meant the standard Tudor movements (eg the MT5621 in the North Flag) not the chrono. They have a 70 power reserve. The new Rolex 3235 movement also has a 70 power reserve, and visually resembles the MT5621

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    For those of you that own watches with the new movement ...are you experiencing better accuracy in comparison to the current 31xx series movements?
    The more anti-magnetic escapement is a definite improvement, but I'm not sure we're really at a point where there's any material, real-world improvement to be had on the current +/- 2 seconds daily specification offered by the 313x and other Rolex calibres. My 3130 is scarily accurate, but perhaps others are less lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    The newer movements are undoubtedly better in specification, but of all the changes, only the ball-bearing rotor mount and the 70-hour power reserve really shout to me. Even at that, if you wear your watch as a daily, the extra 22 hours is only of benefit if you rest it over a weekend. But yes, I think a longer power reserve is where Rolex will be going, and it is a benefit.

Master
    I was in New York last week. Like OP I visited 4 ADs and none had any steel sports models available. However, I was able to get my name added to 2-3 lists. Not holding my breath though.

I’ve also been to several Rolex ADs in Germany, Italy and Dubai during the last 3 months and found the same situation everywhere. Scarcity of steel sports is definitely turning into a global phenomenon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    The more anti-magnetic escapement is a definite improvement, but I'm not sure we're really at a point where there's any material, real-world improvement to be had on the current +/- 2 seconds daily specification offered by the 313x and other Rolex calibres. My 3130 is scarily accurate, but perhaps others are less lucky.

The newer movements are undoubtedly better in specification, but of all the changes, only the ball-bearing rotor mount and the 70-hour power reserve really shout to me. Even at that, if you wear your watch as a daily, the extra 22 hours is only of benefit if you rest it over a weekend. But yes, I think a longer power reserve is where Rolex will be going, and it is a benefit.
    Any views of what this will do to prices of recent models with the old (current) movement - presumably these will take a small hit?

Master
    A quickset hour hand like the 3186 in the GMT, or the Omega 8500 models, would be a real improvement. It’s a pity to have great accuracy then lose it when you cross a time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by kermorvan666 View Post
    Any views of what this will do to prices of recent models with the old (current) movement - presumably these will take a small hit?
    Really hard to say, I'd be lying if I said I had a solid clue.

What I think is possible is that if Rolex were to introduce a new Sub at Basel 2018, then the 'hype fest' would undoubtedly move on to the the new model, and that just might impact desirability for, and take a little wind out of the sails, as regards second-hand prices for the 'older'/current 114060 / 116610 models. However, I think that is only true for the likes of Watchfinder, who are seeking hyper-inflated second-hand prices on those models. I think current pricing would otherwise hold at respectable levels.

In reality, the Sub remains hugely popular worldwide, still comparatively under-priced as regards RRP in the UK, and I doubt Rolex would be able to release enough supply of the 'new' Sub (we're talking theoretically here) quickly enough to counteract the fundamental shortage of supply (bearing in mind the hyped demand there will be for the new model too), so demand and price would remain keen for older versions. Plus, I expect any new model would come with at least a 5-10% price increase, which would make the older models look cheaper, but also a more attractive buy, and thereby 'drag up' or maintain their second-hand pricing too.

On the other hand, there is always the crazy rush to predict the next 'investment' Rolex. Similar to (but to a much lesser extent) the recently discontinued 40mm Sea Dweller, the current Sub is mass produced but has only been around a relatively short time since 2010 (Date) / 2012 (ND), so if Rolex were to not only release a new model, and with a new movement, and slim the 'marmite' lugs down, then no doubt many would rush to proclaim the current Subs as historical 'blips' with a measure of collectibility, which of course would help hold strong values.

Realistically, SS Sports Rolex pricing, new or used, tends to only go one way in the longer term - up. Regardless of what happens, I suspect the current Sub will continue to hold strong second-hand values.

But really, what do I know.

It is a certainty that they will introduce the new movements.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I don’t think so. The new DateJust 41 is a bit smaller and more proportionate than the outgoing DateJust II.

For those of you that own watches with the new movement, aside for the improved (And welcome) power reserve and improvements made to the escapement system, are you experiencing better accuracy in comparison to the current 31xx series movements?

I believe a new Sub or GMT with the 70-hour calibre would be well worth waiting for...
    The DJ41 is 39.5mm in diameter. It will fit in any of the precessional series.

Master
    Are you saying that the three hand Tudor movement is based on the B01 chronograph movement? That's not something I've heard before.

Master
    The craziness is that when Rolex introduce a new and better movement, the prices of the "old versions" will rocket because there won't be any more of them, in spite of there being millions in circulation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    The craziness is that when Rolex introduce a new and better movement, the prices of the "old versions" will rocket because there won't be any more of them, in spite of there being millions in circulation.
    +1, and considering the already high premiums currently asked by resellers for some of these models.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I have not held the ETA movement Black Bay and the in-house movement Black Bay side by side, but standing alone, the new one didnt give me the feeling it is any much bigger.

Wouldn’t shock me. I walked into a London AD a few weeks ago which was empty so when I walked into the Rolex section the manager and assistant manager didn’t see me and one said to the other “when the new sub comes out” and then stopped talking when they saw me. Didn’t mention it earlier because I didn’t want to be seen as one of the people bringing up discontinued rumours.

Not saying one is coming or not. Just repeating a few words I heard between staff. Don’t forget when the SD4K was discontinued ADs knew in December before Basel as they weren’t able to order them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    I have not held the ETA movement Black Bay and the in-house movement Black Bay side by side, but standing alone, the new one didnt give me the feeling it is any much bigger.

Same mid cases, but the case back bulges obviously more on the in house version.

There are not millions of a particular model of Tudor in circulation.

They were selling an estimated around 100,000 to 120,000 watches in total per annum for all models. Which hardly suggests that there will be millions of X model.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    There are not millions of a particular model of Tudor in circulation.

They were selling an estimated around 100,000 to 120,000 watches in total per annum for all models. Which hardly suggests that there will be millions of X model.
    He's referring to Rolex, not Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Cheers Hugh, I somehow misread that! lol

Although, Is still guesstimate that there are not millions of a single reference model in Rolex also. Although admittedly there will be quite a few more than the Tudor equivalent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Thanks Hugh - not sure how Tudor entered this thread lol

Thread 11 with both the new Rolex and Tudor movements

Craftsman
    Anyone know if Tudor and Rolex are made in the same factories?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Anyone know if Tudor and Rolex are made in the same factories?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    They are not. Tudor occupy two floors in the Rolex building in Acacias, but all manufacturing is done by subcontractors.