closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Psa anybody looking for a non date sub ss brand new?

Psa anybody looking for a non date sub ss brand new?

Got one in AD by me
    Pm me

Dealer wants to hold warranty card for 6 months though....
    Last edited by Sweepinghand; 20th January 2018 at 13:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Got one in AD by me
    Pm me

Should be worth 5 pages.

Got one in AD by me
    Pm me

Are you in the UK ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Can someone explain to me the thing about the warranty card? Is this to stop a flipper buying it to resell?

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Can someone explain to me the thing about the warranty card? Is this to stop a flipper buying it to resell?
    Yes
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Yes, I can't think of any other reason.

Got the same news from AD upnorth aswel about new policy : they will hold the warranty card for 12 months 🙄
    Just to stop SS watches being sold to grey dealers for a premium .

Got one in AD by me
    Pm me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomolwi View Post
    Got the same news from AD upnorth aswel about new policy : they will hold the warranty card for 12 months 
    Just to stop SS watches being sold to grey dealers for a premium .
    And if the watch develops a fault within that time...?

Well dodgy practice. I wonder what the Trading Standards would make of it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

Take it to the AD who has the warranty card and they deal with the warranty claim.

They asked me about loyalty etc

She said could I introduce clients etc

I said I know of many many watch lovers
    She told me it’s a new thing from Rolex
    I advised that it’s clearly at discretion as i had bought SS Rolex sport model recently in another AD with no mention

I told her I’d have it until the warranty card thing
    Just crazy
    What diff does it make to the seller if they have another client who wants to buy the odd watch?
    Can introduce others etc
    I actually gave a heads up on here for a hill that a guy on here bought from there too with no issues

It’s a pity - plus I’m confident they had other ss sport and exotica

“We don’t put them in the window....”

Master
    Non date subs aren’t that difficult to get hold of....... I asked 2 local AD’s if they could get me one, and 2 weeks later both replied that they had one for me...

Neither AD wanted to hold onto documentation....

Up their own a-holes if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Non date subs aren’t that difficult to get hold of....... I asked 2 local AD’s if they could get me one, and 2 weeks later both replied that they had one for me...

Neither AD wanted to hold onto documentation....
    That’s because outside the WIS world they are seen as the poor mans sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

There is no suggestion that the watch is not under warranty - of course it IS!

Grand Master
    Much as I disagree with the principle of withholding warranty cards etc. I think potential buyers of these watches are well advised to just accept it if they really want the watch.......principles are sweet but the watch you want on your wrist is sweeter.

I’ve got no respect for the folks who go out to buy these watches with the sole intention of selling for a profit. If I’d set my mind to it I could’ve cashed in on the current supply/ demand situation, I have the time to do the legwork, could make the contacts, and I could find the funds to buy these watches when offered...........but it’s really not for me. Same with the Speedy Tuesday crapshoot.

Master
    Sorry Paul, I agree with a lot of what you say generally but that second para is a little naive. Just because watches are your hobby doesn’t make them sacrosanct. Most of the watches we discuss on here are grossly non-essential items and as such they are a commodity.

On the subject of warranty cards, are buyers being asked by the ADs to sign anything I wonder to consent to have some of their property retained?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Much as I disagree with the principle of withholding warranty cards etc. I think potential buyers of these watches are well advised to just accept it if they really want the watch.......principles are sweet but the watch you want on your wrist is sweeter.

I’ve got no respect for the folks who go out to buy these watches with the sole intention of selling for a profit. If I’d set my mind to it I could’ve cashed in on the current supply/ demand situation, I have the time to do the legwork, could make the contacts, and I could find the funds to buy these watches when offered...........but it’s really not for me. Same with the Speedy Tuesday crapshoot.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 20th January 2018 at 22:28.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post

On the subject of warranty cards, are buyers being asked by the ADs to sign anything I wonder to consent to have some of their property retained?
    Why, do you think a verbal contract isn’t valid?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why, do you think a verbal contract isn’t valid?
    What verbal contract are you referring to? I’ve seen a lot of input on this subject and I’ve yet to see a definitive answer. If inclined to purchase from an AD and this became an issue, I might offer in the course of the conversation that I don’t accept their right to retain what becomes my property after the sale even if I continue with the purchase. A contact - written or verbal - is an agreement, no?

What verbal contract are you referring to? I’ve seen a lot of input on this subject and I’ve yet to see a definitive answer. If inclined to purchase from an AD and this became an issue, I might offer in the course of the conversation that I don’t accept their right to retain what becomes my property after the sale even if I continue with the purchase. A contact - written or verbal - is an agreement, no?
    It is, yes. The AD has already said that they are going to keep the 'papers' so that will be part of the agreement/contract. If you don't accept their right there will be no sale.

Master
    It is, yes. The AD has already said that they are going to keep the 'papers' so that will be part of the agreement/contract. If you don't accept their right there will be no sale.
    Are you certain this would be upheld? Given I’m not knowledgeable in this field I don’t have a huge amount further to offer to the conversation, however if said dealer also told you they had no obligation to provide you a warranty with the watch and you still bought it, would that nullify their responsibilities, regardless of law?

Are you certain this would be upheld? Given I’m not knowledgeable in this field I don’t have a huge amount further to offer to the conversation, however if said dealer also told you they had no obligation to provide you a warranty with the watch and you still bought it, would that nullify their responsibilities, regardless of law?
    No, that wouldn't nullify their responsibilities, but they are not withholding a warranty, just a warranty card or whatever it is.

Master
    No, that wouldn't nullify their responsibilities, but they are not withholding a warranty, just a warranty card or whatever it is.
    What happens if say your circumstances change and you need to sell the watch a couple of months after you bought it?

Craftsman
    My worry would be them losing the papers. If they guarantee full refund in that event then fine.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

What happens if say your circumstances change and you need to sell the watch a couple of months after you bought it?
    Your problem. That's what they're trying to prevent.

Master
    Is the warranty card issue only applicable to certain watches ? I just got myself a 214270 from my local AD, walked out with the whole package. It was the only sports model they had in stock having said that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This is a re-hash of a topic that has already been debated at length on here. Lots of differing opinions on the purely legal aspect. I admire your certainty though.

You seem like a trustworthy individual.

And they have no legal right to do this. I buy a watch, I expect everything to be included. I might lose my job 4 weeks after the purchase and need to sell it. The property is mine and I can demand the warranty card back from the AD as they have no legal right to withhold it. Despite verbally agreeing to their terms, I doubt they are enforceable in law.

It would be an interesting test case in court.

This is a re-hash of a topic that has already been debated at length on here. Lots of differing opinions on the purely legal aspect. I admire your certainty though.
    Yes, that’s why I posted post #2, ridiculous outrage by people here. If someone isn’t happy with conditions walk away, they’re not obligated to sell something to you. Do you disagree, what specifically am I so certain about?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    And they have no legal right to do this. I buy a watch, I expect everything to be included. I might lose my job 4 weeks after the purchase and need to sell it. The property is mine and I can demand the warranty card back from the AD as they have no legal right to withhold it. Despite verbally agreeing to their terms, I doubt they are enforceable in law.

This was my point to Mr.Kingstepper. He seemed to be certain (please correct me if I'm wrong) that they DO have a legal right, based on it being a condition of their sale; and if you go ahead with the purchase you're accepting that from a legal standpoint. I myself am less certain this is true, although have already acknowledged this is not my area of expertise. A little like Amazon changing their Ts & C's to say that they're no longer adhering to the distance selling refund guarantee (or whatever it's known as). If you go ahead and purchase an item from them does that over-rule the actual law?

As you say it would be interesting to see this tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    You seem like a trustworthy individual.
    Wow. If that was meant for me I'd love you to expand.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 21st January 2018 at 13:14. Reason: typo

Wow. If that was meant for me I'd love you to expand.
    Definitely not you; it was for one of our resident Del Boy scroungers. ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I understand why withholding cards is done and don't particularly resent it.
    Rolex monitor the greys and used dealers. If they can track "hot" models on these sites back to the originating AD then they get hellfire and fury from switzerland on the phone. Repeated episodes and it becomes a threat to AD status so I can understand why they go to some odd lengths to try and reduce it.

If you intend to keep the watch it's an inconvenience but a bit of a first world one tbh. If you intend to flip for profit then you'd have to wait 6 months and potentially the market will have cooled which may have you thinking twice next time after half a year of tied up capital that you can't do anything with. Its a deterrent.

Either the ADs will try and stem the flow or Rolex will, and you can guarantee that Rolex method will probably be more painful to collectors/flippers because they can cut supply at source. No peeing about with cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

What is everything? They can sell you a bit of a watch, watch w/o sticker or whatever you both agree to. That the warranty card is often included is neither here nor there (with many products there isn't one). A verbal contract is still a contract.

I understand the predicament Rolex has but that is an issue for Rolex, not the individual who has bought it. Remember as well Rolex has deliberatley set a policy of controlling the supply of certain watches, therefore manipulating the demand for them, which in turn has an affect on the market value of the product being sold, new/grey or 2nd hand. So this is an issue of Rolex's own making, you can hardly blame individuals who may seek other avenues to secure the watch they want.
    Last edited by zippy; 21st January 2018 at 13:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Definitely not you; it was for one of our resident Del Boy scroungers. ;)
    Ah sorry my mistake.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 21st January 2018 at 13:18.

When I got my 114060 in NL - I got everything including a 3% discount. Must be a UK thing.

Personally I would expect everything - tags, booklet, boxs, sales receipt and warranty card.

Perhaps you should offer to only pay 90% of the price and the remaining 10% on delivery of the warranty card. See how they like it

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche