closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Children's old glasses.

Master
    Blog Entries

Children's old glasses.

The wife is having a sort out at home and we have several pairs of old glasses from our kids. Any suggestions of a good charity that will take them?
    Seems a shame to simply bin them.
    Cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, I'll pop in the local branch tomorrow.

Master
    Lots of places take pairs for VAO not just JGG.
    It used to be that the specs were sent to prisons to be cleaned, measured and labelled and then sent out with teams to various parts of Africa. The optoms on site would generate a prescription and then the dispensers would choose the nearest pair from their inventory.
    But owing to daft rules these days used pairs cannot be exported so this excellent process no longer takes place. The metal parts are recycled and the funds used to buy more frames and lenses to be used by the teams who go out. Progress we call it....
    Oh and they don't want the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Lots of places take pairs for VAO not just JGG.
    It used to be that the specs were sent to prisons to be cleaned, measured and labelled and then sent out with teams to various parts of Africa. The optoms on site would generate a prescription and then the dispensers would choose the nearest pair from their inventory.
    But owing to daft rules these days used pairs cannot be exported so this excellent process no longer takes place. The metal parts are recycled and the funds used to buy more frames and lenses to be used by the teams who go out. Progress we call it....
    Oh and they don't want the cases.
    What a shame....my optician has travelled to Africa in the past as part of one of these schemes. He’s shown me photos of his trips. Seemed like a really good scheme.
    I’ve always donated my old specs accordingly.