closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone have any experience of Feng Shui?

Does anyone have any experience of Feng Shui?

I’m not sure what to make of this but the Mrs is from the Far East and swears by it so we’ve got some celebrity Feng Shui expert from Thailand doing an analysis of the apartment layout and also my office and I’m supposed to follow what this guy advises and make the changes. Apparently the results are material. I’m inclined to think it’s a load of b*llocks but wanted to see if anyone here had any views based on experience (not just an unexperienced opinion). I’m keeping an open mind given the way Far Eastern fortune tellers totally changed my mind about what I thought of seeing the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanb741; 19th January 2018 at 22:08.

Grand Master
    The only words i read from your paragraph are 'mr Mrs...swears by it..'.

Just live with the fact that you had no choice, the only thing you can do is learn to fake how happy you are with it in future!

If you believe in far eastern fortune tellers, why wouldn't you believe in Feng Shui?

Edt: Actually, I've assumed you mean to enquire about some sort of mystic, magic outcomes from implementing it. If you actually mean will your apartment look better afterwards, based on some places that I've seen that are set up according to Feng Shui principles, your apartment and office may look quite nice as a result.
    Last edited by sean; 19th January 2018 at 22:14.

Just let her get on with it, as long as you don’t end up knocking holes in walls so that the drain spirit can move freely between rooms you’ll be fine

Ps it’s bollocks and con artists in China make a mint out of it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ryan,
    It all works in theory until you add a young child into the mix. Hard to align your shakras and find your zen etc.. when the floor is festooned with plastic Thomas the Tank Engine toys!

I was looking for a word to describe this. The only polite one I could think of was codswallop. Thank you.

My wife is from the Philippines and has a passing belief / interest in this sort of thing. All about energy flow through the house, mirrors facing windows and god knows what else. I've managed to keep it all to a minimum really with a few token bits and pieces to keep her happy. In truth I believe it to be bunkum and I remember seeing a program on it where several "experts" where bought in to someones house where they proceeded to give completely different ideas, layouts and opinions.

It makes the fairies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    It makes the fairies come out.
    So does an acid tab...

Just remember “evidence based reasoning”.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Just remember “evidence based reasoning”.
    I have found that this is not a phrase that one should use when dealing with one's wife or girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have found that this is not a phrase that one should use when dealing with one's wife or girlfriend.
    Sad.... but true!

Craftsman
    Yes, it truly is a load of bollocks...Don't put your bed in the way of the door blah blah blah.

All they do is tell idiots how to arrange a room, sorry no offence intended. By all means go with it if you have the money, if not..........well that is your conversation with your good lady.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Yes, it truly is a load of bollocks...Don't put your bed in the way of the door blah blah blah.

All they do is tell idiots how to arrange a room, sorry no offence intended. By all means go with it if you have the money, if not..........well that is your conversation with your good lady.
    Actually it makes sense. Feng shui probably came from old days.

For example "clear the passage to entry door" - in case that Mongols attack your village you need space to attack them. When you swing sword it would not be nice to step on Lego or fall over Coffee table at 3AM,right?

"back door should not be in straight line with front door" - in case of Mongols on the front door confuse them by running to the back. If it is on the left, it will give you a small head start.

"bed should not be in line with door'

In case of Mongols, you can wait them behind the bedroom door with sword.

So it makes sense...

Feng shui is basically the way of organizing things around your house or other environments in a pleasing way. Pleasing to the eye and therefore to the mind. Simply put, things have to be arranged in harmony so that they don't feel disorganized and out of place.

If your "expert" is coming over to just make modifications here and there and help you organize stuff around so that the homestead will feel more comfortable then you're good.

If he says that by rearranging the sofa in the living room you'll make more money and live longer then that's just typical crap a-la scammers that have a crystal bowl or tarot cards.

Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post

For example "clear the passage to entry door" - in case that Mongols attack your village you need space to attack them. When you swing sword it would not be nice to step on Lego or fall over Coffee table at 3AM,right?

"back door should not be in straight line with front door" - in case of Mongols on the front door confuse them by running to the back. If it is on the left, it will give you a small head start.

So it makes sense...
    Disperse the lego widely on the approach to your house or village and it'll be effective as caltrops, injuring the Mongol horses and unseating the enemy. Then hit em with the scented candles.
    Last edited by Passenger; 20th January 2018 at 10:53.

Master
    Exactly.

Craftsman
    I keep my sword in the lounge. To hand by my well placed sofa.

My wife is also from the far East and has a few strange ideas about beds not pointing in certain directions etc. As long as it doesn't cause too much inconvenience I just let her get on with it ...

- - - Updated - - -

My wife is also from the far East and has a few strange ideas about beds not pointing in certain directions etc. As long as it doesn't cause too much inconvenience I just let her get on with it ...

I swear by beer and regularly meet with fellow practitioners to discuss the finer points of the art. Whatever rocks her boat, hopefully you won't have to do any major building work!
    "A man of little significance"

You think it’s bollocks so it will be. Intent is key as is perception.
    It’s like waking up and thinking you’ll have a shit day, what’s likely to happen? You’ll have a shit day.
    Give it a shot with an open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    If you believe in far eastern fortune tellers, why wouldn't you believe in Feng Shui?
    This seems the most baffling part of your original post to me, too.

Fortune Tellers are credible, but Feng Shui isn't?

I'm skeptical of either, personally, but if you believe people can predict the future, what harm can moving some furniture around do?

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    You think it’s bollocks so it will be. Intent is key as is perception.
    It’s like waking up and thinking you’ll have a shit day, what’s likely to happen? You’ll have a shit day.
    Give it a shot with an open mind.

This sounds like bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    This seems the most baffling part of your original post to me, too.

Fortune Tellers are credible, but Feng Shui isn't?

I'm skeptical of either, personally, but if you believe people can predict the future, what harm can moving some furniture around do?

M
    Far Eastern fortune tellers are crap, not like the Gypsy ones.

Theres a bestselling self help book called iirc "The Secret", which suggests more or less that the power of positivity and wishing for good outcomes leads to those outcomes happening.

Sounds a lot like prayer to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I put a mirror opposite a window in my hall way it makes perfect sense in that it reflects back light.

I had an appointment to see a Fortune Teller but when I went to see her, there was a sign on the door saying "Cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances".

Taxi!

its all complete bollocks. along with crystals, fortune telling, astrology etc.
    gullible people lap it up though, anything to temporally remove themselves from the crushing banality of their existence.

I'm not sure about Feng Shui, but my mother-in-laws house has so much clutter in it that it gives me a headache whenever I am forced to visit.

There is stuff hanging from the ceilings, screwed to the walls, furniture and nik-naks in every nook and cranny, absolutely everywhere. You can barely move without knocking something or other onto the floor, tripping over something, or hitting your head on something.

Why people want to live like that I will never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    its all complete bollocks. along with crystals, fortune telling, astrology, watch collecting, etc.
    gullible people lap it up though, anything to temporally remove themselves from the crushing banality of their existence.
    Indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I had an appointment to see a Fortune Teller but when I went to see her, there was a sign on the door saying "Cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances".
    I have a photo somewhere of a GENUINE board for a 'psychic' which reads something like that! Made me smile enough to photograph it at the time!

M

One of our neighbours went all Feng Shui, they live at number '4' and apparently its unlucky if you have
    a number '4' facing the direction the front of their house faces so they took down the number.

The Numbers in our road run consecutively rather than odd/even on different sides and we had all sorts of problems
    as people would see no.3 and presume the next house was '5' (ours) have had taxis sitting outside the wrong house for ages
    lots of mail/parcels/deliveries going to them (why they took them rather than just telling the delivery driver it was the wrong house
    is another story and they wouldnt just come round with them we had to go round to pick them up when we got messages saying they
    had been delivered and we hadnt got them).
    We asked them nicely if they could put up a number and they refused so had to contact the council and they finally relented after
    a few warning letters, apparently you are required to have a name or number on your house.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 22nd January 2018 at 14:26.

Feng Shui?

Thought I'd gone through a time warp, it was all the rage in the Sunday supplements a few years back.

I guess most of those gullible trendies have moved on to something else now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Interesting stuff here: - http://www.fengshui-consultants.co.u...hui_london.htm.

10 DOWNING STREET: As it stands today, the frequent use of the back exit (“the back way”) of 10 Downing Street indicates that its resident is not “up front” with its electorate. The open area of the Horse Guard’s Parade behind the building shows a lack of support for the cabinet. The proximity of Foreign office embroils the Prime Minister in foreign affairs. SUGGESTION: The Downing Street houses should be removed and Prime Minister’s living and working quarters recreated in the foreign offices opposite. The open space in front of the structure indicates a long future for whomever holds the office.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Apparently the results are material.
    You have materially less money after.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner77 View Post

So it makes sense...
    I always make sure there's enough space for my sword in the bedroom, why wouldn't anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I always make sure there's enough space for my sword in the bedroom, why wouldn't anyone?
    Rooms are smaller than they used to be....

Actually, the logic in the post about Mongol Hordes makes a lot of sense.

A bit like the way castle spiral stairs always go one way...(not sure that's carried over to modern day though!)

M