closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Half-Decent Watch Purchase: Sinn or Squale or ?

First Half-Decent Watch Purchase: Sinn or Squale or ?

I've got a bit of a collection of Seiko but I've run out of things in their product lines to lust over. Have freed up £1,000 for a new watch (I know this price point is considered amateur-hour by many here, so please be kind).

My tastes are for things with a bezel, so tool watch rather than a dress watch.

My current shortlist is:

Squale 1521:

...or Sinn 104:

Are there other beauties I should be considering? Not started looking for pre-owned yet, but will be limited to £1,000 absolute max.

Got any other criteria such as water resistance, size, movement type etc?

But of those two in your OP, the Sinn wins by a huge margin for me.

Have you thought about a Christopher Ward ? Cracking value if you look out for one of their sales .... This is the Trident C60, 43mm Auto.

They currently have a 20% off all their Quartz watches running currently ...

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/co...rtz-collection

If it's down to those two it's the Sinn by a long way.

Sinn for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm a big Seiko fan and owned a fair few (mostly divers).
    I very briefly owned a squale that I took in trade in here and wasn't that impressed, crown extremely hard to use, bezel action not that great etc. If you're used to Seiko's then I think you'd be disappointed in the Squale, each to his own though of course.
    Never owned a Sinn but they look great.
    One non Seiko watch around that price bracket I was impressed with is Damasko. Excellent build quality and that hardened case is virtually un-markable (I think I made a word up there).
    Good luck.

The Sinn for me too.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Master
    £1,000 certainly not amateur hour. I've never owned a Squale. Bit too in-your-face for me. I've had 2 Sinns, a 556 and a U1SDR. Neither lasted more than a month. Think they look great in pictures but never seem to gel with them in person... Doesn't stop me looking at others though.

In that price range, I'd also consider a Longines Legend Diver (think there is one in SC just below £1,000). Also has the advantage that you can probably view one in a show somewhere.

https://www.longines.com/uploads/wat...ais800x600.jpg

I assume you don't want another Seiko so I won't even bother waxing lyrical about the various SBDX models

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    If it's down to those two it's the Sinn by a long way.
    ^^^^
    This for me too.

Sinn, no contest.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Two lovely watches I would be torn between them both too. I think aesthetics wise I’d go for the Squale just because it’s more “out there”.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    LLD a good shout. Keep trying one on in our local jewellers.
    Can be had cheaper from the likes of iconic etc I believe?

Master
    Assuming new not used for the minute, I’d be looking at Sinn, Fortis and Oris for starters.

With a bit of hunting I’d imagine a Fortis Cosmonaut day date could be had within or very close to your budget, and having owned one some years ago they’re a lot of watch for the money:

https://www.chronext.co.uk/fortis/b-...SABEgIQb_D_BwE

A bit over budget but 10% off with Jura currently:

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collect...-20-18-or-1203

That Sinn 104 is a classic too.

Master
    I shall be listing this Damasko soon as l've just bought back a Speedbird and have to balance the books!
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=damasko
    Same condition and price, but does come with two Damasko straps, black leather with red stitching and black leather with white stitching.
    Regards
    Bob
    Last edited by inthered; 19th January 2018 at 15:23.

Wow thanks for all the responses, I'm working my way through everything... Sorry I can't reply to everyone!

Absolutely love the Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts and the LLD - I think these are both better than my shortlist and I'll look deeper into these, might stretch the budget by a couple of hundred.

Oris also have a lot of interesting models, will check them out... Not a fan of Christopher Ward, just do not like the vibe of the brand (think it's because it's the name of someone I went to school with).

I don't have access to SC yet, another month to go!

Thanks for all the advice so far... Welcome to more suggestions and will post back with an updated shortlist.

First Half-Decent Watch Purchase: Sinn or Squale or ?

The Squale and Sinn both look good. I really quite like Squale, but really couldn’t see myself buying one having watched Archie’s review and yes I know I shouldn’t take any notice.

A bit over budget, but you never know second hand, the Sinn EZM 3F tempts me. I relatively recently bought and sold the Sinn EZM 3 (no F) variant here for about £650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2018 at 16:32.

Master
    I knew there’d be one under a grand somewhere. New with 2 years warranty if you don’t mind buying from a European dealer. £995 or best offer:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/brand-new-F...AAAOSwbF1aFW-m

I've owned a good number of the watches mentioned in this thread, so my observations: Fortis and LLD are a good shout, but you need a big wrist to pull them off - especially the Fortis. The Squale is a very nice watch, but for me personally the text on the case side ruins it. The first batch didn't have it, so that's worth checking out. The Sinn is a brilliant watch. Flat, very comfortable on the wrist, excellent size... What's not to like? If you're looking for a daily wearer that would be my choice.

Master
    I have the 104 and its v v nice. Sold an azure 1521 as it looked better than it wore.

Oris 65 with the Arabic indices is worth a look. There was a good value one on sc recently.

A used tt1 or aquis diver is also great value around £650-750.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My first "proper" mechanical watch (ignoring my teenage Timex) was,and is,a Sinn 356 II so my vote would be Sinn.
    Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

If you’re a Seiko fan and at all minded to consider a used purchase, I’d strongly urge you to consider a MM300. Definitely a forum favourite in these parts as a search will demonstrate and punches well above its weight quality wise.

Craftsman
    Oris Diver 65 is a lovely watch and they do come up on SC at well within your budget. Might be worth waiting that month. It's a Diver but compared to a lot of the Seikos the Oris is slimmer and neater, it's a real wear any where watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I think it depends what the use is going to be. The Sinn is much more traditional, discreet and therefore more flexible in terms of usage. Personally, I don't like the hands and, in the flesh, Sinns all leave me a little cold.

On the other hand, I own the polished Squale 1521 with the sunburst dial. Its dial is the most dynamic of any I've seen - absolutely lovely in all lighting conditions. Case finishing etc. is flawless and a little bit funkier than the norm. The watch is just great fun and brings a smile to the face every time - it's a perfect weekend / summer watch.

So, for a watch to add a little sunshine and variety to the collection, the Squale every time.

Aesthetics are highly subjective, out of the two you've mentioned in your original post I'd pick the Sinn and by some margin. It also helps that I've owned/own 4 different Sinn models so can also confirm that they're more than fit for purpose.

Having said that, and as an owner of 3 Damaskos, my money would go here -

It's not a diver's watch however it should easily cope with doing the dishes

Edit - just twigged that you don't have access to the SC... Have a look at Damasko's DA range.

The Longines Legend Diver is a fine watch, I owned one a few years back. Do try before you buy though as it has long lugs relative to its case and does wear large on the wrist.
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th January 2018 at 21:25.

Craftsman
    Of the two it's the sinn for me. Much prefer the case shape

Master
    Got a Squale 1521 as an upgrade (or so I thought) from my SKX009. The Squale was a massive disappointment and got flipped within a month.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    If you’re a Seiko fan and at all minded to consider a used purchase, I’d strongly urge you to consider a MM300. Definitely a forum favourite in these parts as a search will demonstrate and punches well above its weight quality wise.
    Would love a MM300. If I could find one within my/close to my budget I'd definitely be going for that right now... Was considering a spb051 but just not into it enough to splash the cash.

The more I look at the sinn product lineup the more I'm liking their aesthetic.

Right now the watch that's really grabbing my attention is the blue tudor pelagos. Don't know whether to just hang fire on an intermediate purchase and save towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Would love a MM300. If I could find one within my/close to my budget I'd definitely be going for that right now... Was considering a spb051 but just not into it enough to splash the cash.

The more I look at the sinn product lineup the more I'm liking their aesthetic.

Right now the watch that's really grabbing my attention is the blue tudor pelagos. Don't know whether to just hang fire on an intermediate purchase and save towards that.
    If you hold out for a bit longer until you have SC access your £1000 will buy you a good MM300;they do come up reasonably often.

I don’t have a Pelagos but do have two of the Black Bay variants and for my money the MM300 holds its own against those and for that matter doesn’t look shabby next to my SMPs or indeed my Subs. Not an “intermediate” watch in my opinion but one that holds my interest even as part of a big collection.

Banned
    Oris and longings have a few great offerings within your price bracket

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    If you hold out for a bit longer until you have SC access your £1000 will buy you a good MM300;they do come up reasonably often.

I don’t have a Pelagos but do have two of the Black Bay variants and for my money the MM300 holds its own against those and for that matter doesn’t look shabby next to my SMPs or indeed my Subs. Not an “intermediate” watch in my opinion but one that holds my interest even as part of a big collection.
    Thanks, this is good to know. I will hang fire til I can see SC to see what's about... Gives me a bit more time to think things over.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Thanks, this is good to know. I will hang fire til I can see SC to see what's about... Gives me a bit more time to think things over.
    Wise thinking.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a Squale 50 atmos and it's my favorite watch, i really recommend it , in the flesh the hands are a beautiful colour, the coin edge bezel is really nice the way it over hangs the case , it weares smaller than the 42mm would suggest , the case shape is unique , it can be worn on rubber of leather, so a vote here for the Squale !

I've had the sinn, and the squale. I've kept the squale, and wouldn't change that decision. The sinn is nice, solid, brilliant build. And totally devoid of character.

But an oris 65, is my preference over both.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    I have a Squale 50 atmos and it's my favorite watch, i really recommend it , in the flesh the hands are a beautiful colour, the coin edge bezel is really nice the way it over hangs the case , it weares smaller than the 42mm would suggest , the case shape is unique , it can be worn on rubber of leather, so a vote here for the Squale !
    Out of interest, what is the bezel action like?
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Out of interest, what is the bezel action like?
    Thanks

It's firm and positive and no play,

Master

Love Sinn

Got a few Sinn and had a few but do like the Squale a lot, I like the fact that I don’t personally see as many Squale on watch forums etc so I would be steered towards that!
    Both great watches however once you are at £1000 and more, there are so many options especially when you start searching on forums like this for the answer!!
    At the end of the day they are both really nice but you may feel that specific Sinn is a little bland in comparison to the blue dial of the Squale!
    You really need to try both on aswell as they do feel different on and wear different too!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by burnhardlanger View Post
    It's firm and positive and no play,
    Thanks only I’ve researched these and heard good things about the case and bezel.

Blog Entries
    Sinn, without a doubt

Journeyman
    Another vote for the Sinn. It looks like something that could be worn for most occasions for years to come.

I'd have a look at the white dial sinn 104, unimatic uno, Eza sealander and (if you can find one!) a halios Seaforth.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I now own three Sinn models... U2, U1000 and I've just bought a 103 from Chronomaster. Neil was impressed at the condition of my U2 considering that I have worn it for over 10 years straight. I don't know how Squale holds up against scratches, but my Sinn U2 is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I now own three Sinn models... U2, U1000 and I've just bought a 103 from Chronomaster. Neil was impressed at the condition of my U2 considering that I have worn it for over 10 years straight. I don't know how Squale holds up against scratches, but my Sinn U2 is amazing.
    The U2 has a tegimented bezel, no? They also do them with tegimented cases and bracelets, so perhaps yours is one of those?

Craftsman
    My U2 just has the tegimented bezel.
    My U1000 is fully tegimented case and bracelet

Master
    From those, Sinn all the way.

From those two, Sinn all the way, so much more of a classy look.

ps I'm a Squale fan, I would love a Squale Tropic GMT!

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    From those, Sinn all the way.
    Agreed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Out of the two mentioned, Sinn, by a country mile. Oris is also a good shout around the k mark.
    J

Apprentice
    All depends on how you see yourself wearing this new watch... for daily wear: Sinn - much more versatile but if you are looking for a bit of fun on the week-end or on holiday go for the Squale! it's real head-turner and conversation starter.