closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: El Primero for a navitimer?

El Primero for a navitimer?

Hi
    So for a while I’ve been thinking about a complete reshuffle in my collection, starting with either selling or trading my El Primero. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great watch but it just doesn’t sing to me like I’d hoped.

I’m thinking I’d like a Navitimer for around fr same worth (2.5k) I could put a bit of money towards it too.
    My questions are is it better to sell first then barter with a dealer for a Navitimer I like ? Or would it make no difference to go to the same dealer and try a trade + cash?

Also if anyone has a Navitimer please feel free to tell me what you like/don’t like about it or anything I might need to know.
    Thanks
    Here’s the watch in question.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've owned around 7 Navitimers and have finally settled on a A13322.

Likes; the size is perfect for my wrist, changing straps is easy and servicing cost is reasonable.

Dislikes; looks far to 'bling' on the bracelet.

7? Wow that flipping mad
    I like the A13322 a lot, seems to be right in my price range too. I prefer the stick index instead of Arabic numerals.

Hi

My Navitimer was the first 'proper' watch I bought, have had it coming on 18 years now, its a limited edition Navitimer Fighters with iconic fighter planes engraved on the back.

I have never liked shiny watches and mine is a brushed steel case with brushed steel strap and black dial, its been reliable, wears well, can be worn with everything from a suit to jeans and trainers and has been serviced 3 times thus far, last two with an indy that I trust, Steve at Rytetime.

Probably still gets the most wrist time of all my watches including my other Breitlings, mainly as it is so versatile .....

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I have had both Navitimers, and Zenith Chronographs.

I appreciate the allure of Navitimers, and their history. Indeed, I was the Breitling moderator, and founder of the Breitling Forum on WUS so you can understand where I am coming from.

DON'T DO IT!! If you want a change, have a look at some of Zenith Rainbow models from 20/30 years ago, a fully serviced one will be well within your budget. As good a spec as anything you'd find today, and in my mid, the finest Zenth chrono's ever made, and certainly the finest movement.

The sheeple love Breitling, don't get me wrong, still a great watch, but the connoisseurs will always prefer Zenith.

If you want the sporty version.....

Last edited by doug darter; 19th January 2018 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Hi

My Navitimer was the first 'proper' watch I bought, have had it coming on 18 years now, its a limited edition Navitimer Fighters with iconic fighter planes engraved on the back.

I have never liked shiny watches and mine is a brushed steel case with brushed steel strap and black dial, its been reliable, wears well, can be worn with everything from a suit to jeans and trainers and has been serviced 3 times thus far, last two with an indy that I trust, Steve at Rytetime.

Probably still gets the most wrist time of all my watches including my other Breitlings, mainly as it is so versatile .....

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    I have had both Navitimers, and Zenith Chronographs.

I appreciate the allure of Navitimers, and their history. Indeed, I was the Breitling moderator, and founder of the Breitling Forum on WUS so you can understand where I am coming from.

DON'T DO IT!! If you want a change, have a look at some of Zenith Rainbow models from 20/30 years ago, a fully serviced one will be well within your budget. As good a spec as anything you'd find today, and in my mid, the finest Zenth chrono's ever made, and certainly the finest movement.

The sheeple love Breitling, don't get me wrong, still a great watch, but the connoisseurs will always prefer Zenith.

If you want the sporty version.....

Dibble, thanks that’s exactly what I’m after. Your looks like a great example too.

Doug,
    Funny you should say that about keeping it. I saw a review on YouTube see https://youtu.be/9I0urnUVBlk
    And it that’s what made me want to sell mine for that version which I think is circa 2000. I just love the whole vintage vibe/Art Deco feel.
    But then I noticed the Navitimer which appealed to me.
    So perhaps you are right? Maybe look to trade in for an older El Primero. The first one you linked looks right up my street too.
    Thanks

Master
    The problem with the zenith rainbows is they look a bit early 90s to me and dated were as the navitimers will allways be timeless so I would buy the breitling

All I can add for you is,
    Valjoux 7750 ( Navitimer) vs El Primero. ( Zenith).
    The El Primero wins hands down for me.

Sell that Captain and buy a Chronomaster, that'll get you the retro styling with a solid movement.

I'll be short - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    The problem with the zenith rainbows is they look a bit early 90s to me and dated were as the navitimers will allways be timeless so I would buy the breitling
    I see that but tbh I prefer the look to my Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by neilf1965 View Post
    All I can add for you is,
    Valjoux 7750 ( Navitimer) vs El Primero. ( Zenith).
    The El Primero wins hands down for me.
    Your not wrong there

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    Sell that Captain and buy a Chronomaster, that'll get you the retro styling with a solid movement.
    Yep you got the right idea
    I might have to eventually get both

I just bought an absolutely stunning Chronomaster.
    I’ll have to put my Captain up for sale soon to balance the books but I couldn’t let this watch slip away. Thanks

Great! Which one did you go for? Any photos?

This must be the most efficient 'advice' post ever in terms of question-feedback-execution. :)

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    Great! Which one did you go for? Any photos?

This must be the most efficient 'advice' post ever in terms of question-feedback-execution. :)
    Bought this one. And yes you guys helped me. Thanks for that !!
    http://www.md-watches.com/product/ze...0240-410-39mm/
    I got him down a few hundred £s

Master
    The new blue 38mm zenith ep on the blue leather strap is stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Navitimer (especially the Cosmonaute - it's what got me interested in watches as more than things to tell the time).

I guess they're a bit Marmite, you either love the complexity and functionality of the Navitimer dial or it's 'too busy'.

Not sure what this 7750 vs El Primero stuff is all about though, let alone looking 'too bling on a bracelet' - The Navitimer is probably the watch that absolutely does not belong on a bracelet! That's like sticking 22" spinner rim wheels on a DB5!

To be honest, if I felt I had the cash to spend on another 'more expensive' chrono, it would be a Zenith El Primero (I like the open 1969, but, again, it's one that some hate with a vengeance!).

So, I guess the correct answer is 'both'

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2018 at 11:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Bought this one. And yes you guys helped me. Thanks for that !!
    http://www.md-watches.com/product/ze...0240-410-39mm/
    I got him down a few hundred £s

Beautiful watch. As a cosmonaute owner I almost bought one of these last year. It's still on the radar. Let us know what you think of it after a while on the wrist.

Enjoy

Thanks guys, I will most likely want to pursue a Navitimer at some point too. I still love that one.