closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming of the 4 legged variety

Incoming of the 4 legged variety

After years of pontification the wife & I are finally getting a dog.

We'll pick up one of these little beauties in about 6 weeks

Mum's a pretty thing and the Dad is a magnificent thing. The both have lovely temperaments

Very excited.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Spot on! Lovely dogs I've always liked labs although we've always stuck with Springers hope you like long walks! :)

Lovely lovely dogs, we have 2 chocolate Labs and they're just fantastic, stupid but fantastic
    Im very jealous as the wife won't let me get another.

The mum looks lovely, beautiful intelligent eyes - so bodes we’ll for the pups.

We finally gave in to our sons pleading and got a black lab pup about 10 weeks ago.

Didn’t expect his arrival to have such an impact on daily life - it’s like having a toddler who can do 20 mph!

He is lovely though and I am enjoying the (short) walks that he is currently allowed.

Hope all goes well.
    Last edited by Nobbyy; 19th January 2018 at 00:57.

Incoming of the 4 legged variety

Looks a lovely litter of pups.

Not being funny, but that whelping box would give me a lot of confidence in the owner/breeder as well.

Enjoy the puppy, as before you know it those puppy days will be gone. Our most recent addition is now 7 months old.

He has more energy than the other three put together!

Last edited by willie_gunn; 19th January 2018 at 11:57.

Blog Entries
    Wow! How nice. And please let us know on a regular basis how he/she grows and how you get along raising him/her. The pic of mom and her kids is one for page one of the photo album.

Menno

You're going to have a lot of busy but very happy days ahead - beautiful dogs!

Wow how lovely. Enjoy whichever of those pups you go for. I am very jealous & would love another but seriously I think my one is enough!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Out of interest, did you go for a dog or a bitch?

Having had numerous labs they can be quite different in terms of character.

In general I have found bitches to be far more "one person" animals than dogs.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 19th January 2018 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Out of interest, did you go for a dog or a bitch?

Having had numerous labs they can be quite different in terms of character.
    We wanted a bitch, but in any case all the dogs were already reserved.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We wanted a bitch, but in any case all the dogs were already reserved.
    Pleased to hear that you got what you wanted. It's perhaps more common for the bitches to go first rather than the dogs.

I have generally found bitches to be far more "one person" animals than dogs, in that they will bond more strongly with one person than others. This carries over to things like training, where in general bitches can be more attentive and responsive if the handler is the same, whereas dogs are more adaptable and will almost work for anyone. Bitches similarly seem to mature quicker, whereas dogs can be "grumpy teenagers" for longer.

Neither is good or bad, right or wrong, just different.

I am sure you will have a barrel of fun with your puppy, and a lifetime of pleasure from the dog. Enjoy!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Andy, if you are going to train him to retrieve and need some pheasant wings let me know!

mike

Apologies if you know all this already, but if you're planning to work your lab then I can recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Gundog-...pet+gundog+dvd

There are plenty of others....I seem to have most!

Lovely looking litter , im sure you will enjoy your pick of the bunch .

Well done, Andy . You won't regret it but you'll probably come close, on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have generally found bitches to be far more "one person" animals than dogs, in that they will bond more strongly with one person than others. This carries over to things like training, where in general bitches can be more attentive and responsive if the handler is the same, whereas dogs are more adaptable and will almost work for anyone. Bitches similarly seem to mature quicker, whereas dogs can be "grumpy teenagers" for longer.

Neither is good or bad, right or wrong, just different.
    I can't help thinking this doesn't just apply to our canine friends.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Well done, Andy . You won't regret it but you'll probably come close, on occasion.

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!

Congrats Andy. One day I will have a dog but not yet...

Nice one Andy!

Can't beat a good bitch.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    But there's something else... Given your avatar, is it time to switch to an RS4/RS6 or Panamera 4 Sport Tourismo? For the title Fastest travelling lab in the country

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    But there's something else... Given your avatar, is it time to switch to an RS4/RS6 or Panamera 4 Sport Tourismo? For the title Fastest travelling lab in the country

Menno
    The GT3 is staying for the foreseeable, but we do, as you'd expect, have other cars.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Lovely pups, great dogs. We have always had Retrievers, our newest one is now just over 2 years old. He caught meningitis at 8 months. Nobody knows how dogs catch meningitis, but like in humans there are two strains, one the dog dies from, one is treated with steroids and they should grow out of it. Ours has relapsed 3 times, but now hopefully he is nearly better. Got vets bills like the national debt, he cost 4k in the first month of his illness, that took care of the insurance, so now we still have insurance but meningitis isn't covered. So top tip, get decent pet insurance. And the other thing everybody says, is "I didn't know dogs get meningitis", nor did we, but if you google it, its more common than you think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Lovely pups, great dogs. We have always had Retrievers, our newest one is now just over 2 years old. He caught meningitis at 8 months. Nobody knows how dogs catch meningitis, but like in humans there are two strains, one the dog dies from, one is treated with steroids and they should grow out of it. Ours has relapsed 3 times, but now hopefully he is nearly better. Got vets bills like the national debt, he cost 4k in the first month of his illness, that took care of the insurance, so now we still have insurance but meningitis isn't covered. So top tip, get decent pet insurance. And the other thing everybody says, is "I didn't know dogs get meningitis", nor did we, but if you google it, its more common than you think.
    Agree with this, insurance is a must really. The best you can afford, because when you need it you'll be glad you did.

Grand Master
    I get the best deal, I look after my stepdaughter's Labrador (Ozzie) 2 or 3 days/week but I don`t have all the hassle (of expense) of full-time dog ownership! Ozzie and I are best buddies, I take him out and generally see that he's well looked after when he's with me, but at tea-time I walk him back home and give him back. We looked after him for 3 weeks when they moved house house and we didn`t really want to give him back, but having him on a part-time basis works best and I wouldn't`be tempted to get a dog myself. This dog gets the advantage of two homes, no kennels to worry about at holiday time, he comes to stay with us. He gets far more strenuous exercise with me and after a few days he loses any excess weight he's gained.......it's a bit like doggy boot camp for him!

Pet insurance is a must thesedays, Ozzie suffered with epilepsy as a pup and had a number of tests which would've cost a couple of grand in total. Thankfully he's been OK for the past 2 years so it looks like he's grown out of it.

Paul

Craftsman
    Beautiful pups and as already said mum has a really nice look about her, you will have years of love from your pup.

Ours is chocolate and nearly 14 now and I can honestly say he has been my best friend, he is so good with the kids and even chased a burglar away (we never would have believed it as he has never shown any aggression except to a particular German Shepherd that frightened my wife) He is special to us but typical of the breed.

Interestingly, we bumped into a guy out walking when he was about a year old, he obviously knew his labradors and told us, amongst other things, that the yellow ones are dim, the black ones are clever and the chocolate ones are puppies all their lives. Having had all 3 this has also been our experience, although they are all clever but only when it suits them which is basically where there is food involved.

He also told us that he would chew until he was 18 months old, this was exactly how it was to be.

Enjoy the new family member and get her insured ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
    Beautiful pups and as already said mum has a really nice look about her, you will have years of love from your pup.

Ours is chocolate and nearly 14 now and I can honestly say he has been my best friend, he is so good with the kids and even chased a burglar away (we never would have believed it as he has never shown any aggression except to a particular German Shepherd that frightened my wife) He is special to us but typical of the breed.

Interestingly, we bumped into a guy out walking when he was about a year old, he obviously knew his labradors and told us, amongst other things, that the yellow ones are dim, the black ones are clever and the chocolate ones are puppies all their lives. Having had all 3 this has also been our experience, although they are all clever but only when it suits them which is basically where there is food involved.

He also told us that he would chew until he was 18 months old, this was exactly how it was to be.

Enjoy the new family member and get her insured ASAP.
    Interesting observation about the different colourings, though given the genetics determining coat colour are different to those determining intelligence I think that is perhaps more of an old wives tale.

Our current pup (yellow) was from a mixed litter of eight, four yellow and four black, so it will be interesting to see how he turns out. At seven months it sounds like we still have about a year of chewing to go.

Having known many many labs over the years of differing colours, including fox red, I'd be hard pushed to identify any behavioural characteristic that could be directly linked to coat colour. Breeding (and therefore genetics) in general, certainly, but not specifically coat colour.

If it were true it would make it a heck of a lot more difficult choosing a pup when it comes to cocker spaniel!

@OP, congrats! I wish we could afford one with the silly travels we're doing atm.. One day.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

What a wholesome read! Enjoy op.

I would also recommend this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labrador-Ha...rador+handbook

Her other book , the happy puppy is also very good.

Crate train your pup if you plan on leaving it for extended periods as well. We thought it sounded horrible but it’s good for the dog to have somewhere safe and quiet to get away from people sometimes.

I’d also recommend you find a local trainer to go to classes as well. Our local gun dog trainer is fantastic.

The pups are 4 weeks old now and this is the one we selected the other evening.

Name still to be decided, but we get to take her home on Sunday 4th March
    Last edited by andy tims; 2nd February 2018 at 09:29.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    Looks a real beauty

Master
    Congratulations - a great choice.

My wife and kids would love another black lab having lost our beautiful girl just over a year ago. I am the one blocking getting another as the kids are now 18 / 20 and I am thinking we should not tie ourselves too closely. However, seeing this thread is really making me question this - I would love to have another.

I hope you are very happy together.

Lovely! Congratulations on the new friend :)

I'd love a dog, but unfortunately my wife isn't wild about the idea ... and I am travelling for work quite often, so most of the responsibility would lie on her shoulders.

I'm waiting until retirement ;-)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice choice. Such an amazing experience. We got a Cockapoo last year as a reward to ourselves for a rebalance on work/life. I had no expectations as I’d never had a dog before and then we got hit with some medical issues to deal with. I can honestly say that throughout it he’s proven to be utterly life changing. A challenge as a small pup at first, a reason to exercise, a companion and a focus away from the hard stuff for us all. I hope your experience is as positive as ours. Good luck!

Master
    As above we got a Cockapoo last year and it was our first dog, best thing we ever did. He is awesome and been a great addition to the family!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Beautiful, simply beautiful. I wouldn’t mind seeing tons of pics of her!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Beautiful, simply beautiful. I wouldn’t mind seeing tons of pics of her!
    That's exactly why I came back to this thread would love to see more pix!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Yes, more pics Andy please as and when, beautiful pup

Master
    One way to pick a pup is to let the pup pick you...................Go into the room where the pups are and sit in a corner furthest away from them. Pick the first inquisitive one that come over to you.

Fantastic breed. Loving dogs and very loyal. The joy of developing a strong bond with any dog is one of life’s best gifts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    We went to see some lab puppies today. Earlier we saw some that whilst the pups were cute we weren't comfortable with the conditions they being brought up with.

This evening we went to see this girl:

ironically literally 2 minutes from our house.

This time everything was spot on so we're going to pick her up tomorrow

Very excited, not sure the cat will be so keen...
    Last edited by SimonH; 3rd February 2018 at 22:41.

Master
    Oops!