closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Orient Bambino - Which One?!

Orient Bambino - Which One?!

An OB is on my hit list in the semi near future (along with various others!).

My fledgling research informs me there are two generations, with the 2nd gen being preferable as the movement has hacking and manual wind. Apparently the easiest way to tell the difference is 1st gen says "water resist" on the dial whereas 2nd gen says "water resistant". But I digress.

Regardless of which gen, there are 4 'versions' (3 that have always existed, the 4th is newer). I've ruled out versions 3 and 4. In fact, I've whittled it down to a black version 2:

Or, a black version 1:

Or finally, a white/silver version 1:

Except I'm struggling to decide. In the slightly longer term I'm really wanting to pick up a black Hamilton Khaki King, so that edges me toward not getting a black Orient as well. However I do like the black V1 in particular. Another one on the hit list later this year is either a SARB033 or 035, and again the colour would depend on what else is in the collection - yet it seems ridiculous to decide which SARB I'd prefer now when I'm not planning on buying it for quite a while!

This has turned into quite the prose. So what I was asking is, has anyone any experience of owning these - are they good value watches and if you've had different versions, which one do you feel is better in the flesh?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had the first gen black dial and white dial. I kept the black dial for a long time (well, maybe half a year but that's a long time in this game) but barely wore it, traded it for a white dial which I wore more but still not much. A nice enough thing but I guess it just wasn't for me.

Timekeeping was good. They have a known noisy rotor which my black dial didn't suffer from but the white dial was really noisy. Aaaaand... that's about it.

For me none of the subsequent Bambinos measured up to the original for appearance or value for money. I'm not really a fan of roman numerals on a watch either, so it has to be the white original for me, however that is the only one I've ever owned, so I can't comment on how they compare in terms of weight or comfort etc.

Master
    White dialed and grey dialed versions are hard to read. IMHO black SS version is a way to go.

To stir things a bit, you also have Orient Star Classic, smaller at 38,5 mm, with power reserve hack /HW movement and normal 20 mm lugs that are drilled.and it comes on great bracelet.

Build quality is way above Bambino series and its proportions are just right.

Bambino at 41 mm and 21 mm lugs is little bit too big for a dress watch.

I owned 7 Bambinos and 3 Orient Stars. OS gets my vote.

I have owned a first gen black dial , a lovely watch for the money .

Don't pass over this beauty also...

I've had the first generation white dial for a few years, lovely watch keeps good time!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I've had the first generation white dial for a few years, lovely watch keeps good time!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the feedback gents 👍

Craftsman
    Hi davidj54,

Amazon have the black v1 (your 2nd pic) for £126 delivered, via their global store. Seems a good price to me.
    I've got the blue dial v3 on order from them at the mo.

Cheers,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Hi davidj54,

Amazon have the black v1 (your 2nd pic) for £126 delivered, via their global store. Seems a good price to me.
    I've got the blue dial v3 on order from them at the mo.

Cheers,
    George
    Cheers George, sounds decent. Really I want a version 2 for the manual wind & hacking. They are about that on eBay. Unfortunately I'm convalescing from open wallet surgery after my car blew up, so won't be getting anything immediately, just gauging some opinions.

David

Craftsman
    Small Star, just out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Cheers George, sounds decent. Really I want a version 2 for the manual wind & hacking. They are about that on eBay. Unfortunately I'm convalescing from open wallet surgery after my car blew up, so won't be getting anything immediately, just gauging some opinions.

David
    Hi David,

The ones on amazon are all gen 2, they have all 4 dial versions in 1 or 2 different colours. It took me a while to get my head around the Bambino gen / version thing....
    I had looked on ebay too but decided on amazon for easy returns if required.

Get well soon!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Hi David,

The ones on amazon are all gen 2, they have all 4 dial versions in 1 or 2 different colours. It took me a while to get my head around the Bambino gen / version thing....
    I had looked on ebay too but decided on amazon for easy returns if required.

Get well soon!
    Thanks mate I'll check it out then 👍

Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the Version 1, Gen 2. Really pleased with it, doesn't wear as big as I expected and the strap was better than I'd expected too. I did however order an aftermarket strap. There's a guy on eBay that makes them to order, wide variety of colours and styles etc you just give him your lug width and wrist size.

This is what I got for the OB. Very good quality, he also gives the option of strap end (straight, curved or slanted) I went for slanted as you can see. Was only £16. I'm unsure whether I'll keep it on the OB as its probably not refined enough for what is basically a dress watch (quite chunky). But it's a good strap to have and I'll be using the guy again.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Just to update this thread, I ended up going with the Version 1, Gen 2. Really pleased with it, doesn't wear as big as I expected and the strap was better than I'd expected too. I did however order an aftermarket strap. There's a guy on eBay that makes them to order, wide variety of colours and styles etc you just give him your lug width and wrist size.

This is what I got for the OB. Very good quality, he also gives the option of strap end (straight, curved or slanted) I went for slanted as you can see. Was only £16. I'm unsure whether I'll keep it on the OB as its probably not refined enough for what is basically a dress watch (quite chunky). But it's a good strap to have and I'll be using the guy again.

Lovely watch

Banned
    IMG_4749.JPG

Out of those 3 , this is the nicest combo

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app