closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dualit toaster

Dualit toaster

I have a classic Dualit steel toaster .... pushed the boat out about 15 years ago and paid the crazy rrp

Some of the elements have gone, so ordered and today received delivery of genuine replacement parts from Dualit (£47 !!)

The instructions are full of warnings that only qualified electrician should replace them and then get PAT tested. Is that just H&S scaremongering ?? I’m happy to do it myself but as the kids use the toaster do want to make sure it’s safe.

Anyone any experience??

Master
    They're just covering their arse. Half the reason you buy duality is that it doesn't just go in the bin when something goes wrong.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I’d replace the elements myself.

I’ve had mine apart to give it a thorough clean. They aren’t exactly complicated machines. Crack on I suggest.

I've replaced elements in my Dualit, they are just covering their arse. Its relatively straight forward.

Reminds me of the halcyon days of poking the toaster with a fork, big spark, broken toaster and denying all knowledge to the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    I've replaced elements in my Dualit, they are just covering their arse. Its relatively straight forward.
    Me too it’s a piece of the proverbial to do.

Go for it, I easily replaced the clockwork timer in mine a few years ago, wouldn’t hesitate to get in there again.
    Dualit stuff is really good, just bought a lovely new kettle from John Lewis with Christmas present vouchers, the element is replaceable so should last for years.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Replacing the elements is a very simple job ... But just remember the end elements go in facing in the right direction as one side gets hotter than the other.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive replaced quite a few in the toaster at work. Can be a bit awkward to pull the old element out, it normally disintegrates. Love my dualit at home, they are expensive but it does toast just how i like it, crisp on the outside soft on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Reminds me of the halcyon days of poking the toaster with a fork, big spark, broken toaster and denying all knowledge to the parents.
    Remember doing that too!

In the Dualit they're dead easy, if you know your way around a screwdrive go for it. Just make sure its unplugged first.

Blog Entries
    I’m a DIY disaster and managed it

Paid a fraction of that price from eBay…. Ellements were fine

Thanks for all those tips

Have dived in ..... seems very straightforward BUT you definitely need a 6.5mm spanner. Who has one of those ? Haha..... pal has property maintenance company and will bring one home from the depot tomorrow

In the meantime 15 years of crumbs getting cleared out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Remember doing that too!
    Must be nearly 40 years since jabbing a knife in the toaster. Big flash in the face and a knackered toaster. Managed to get away with it though!

Got a 6 slice Dualit and it’s easy to change the elements. They are just protecting themselves in case some idiot changes the element with the toaster plugged in while enjoying a nice hot bath.

Crack on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can't fart without a risk assessment these days. I'd do the repair myself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one last year and I love the way it came with full and detailed descriptions of how to replace the parts, but also said, but the way, don't try this at home.

I understand they need to cover themselves but it is also refreshing that they blatantly expect you to be able do it yourself.

Master
    If you have to ask strangers on a watch forum, I’d suggest you’re probably best contacting an electrician.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Been there, done that, still wearing the, (scorched), tee-shirt!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    BUT you definitely need a 6.5mm spanner. Who has one of those ? Haha.....
    Monkey wrench ;)

Crap, I hope you're not black.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    If you have to ask strangers on a watch forum, I’d suggest you’re probably best contacting an electrician.
    I’d suggest it might be hard to find an electrician that would be willing to turn up and fix a toaster.

Craftsman

Have dived in ..... seems very straightforward BUT you definitely need a 6.5mm spanner. Who has one of those ? Haha..... pal has property maintenance company and will bring one home from the depot tomorrow

Use an adjustable or an imperial spanner.

1/4” innit

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I’d suggest it might be hard to find an electrician that would be willing to turn up and fix a toaster.
    Ha! Very true.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Go for it, I easily replaced the clockwork timer in mine a few years ago, wouldn’t hesitate to get in there again.
    Dualit stuff is really good, just bought a lovely new kettle from John Lewis with Christmas present vouchers, the element is replaceable so should last for years.
    Their coffee percolator is shite. The plastic handle on the lid breaks off and the replacement is £25 for a firkin bit of plastic. They break a lot, so you would think they could design something that didn't shatter. Toaster is good though

Craftsman
    What's the quality of their modern toasters like? I've been tempted to get one for a while, but I've read a few reviews online that say they're not as good as the used to be.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    What's the quality of their modern toasters like? I've been tempted to get one for a while, but I've read a few reviews online that say they're not as good as the used to be.
    Humm! I have always wanted one of these, the iconic design is timeless. They are proper pricey though and would be miffed if they were a bit shonky in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Humm! I have always wanted one of these, the iconic design is timeless. They are proper pricey though and would be miffed if they were a bit shonky in reality.
    Well-built and there isn't much else in the same class that is available on the high street. I wasn't around with sepia-tinted glasses to recall a halcyon period for Dualit, but the toaster I had for ten years was excellent.

Residuals were good too when I chopped it in for a Rowlett Rutland, which is built even better and stealthy as a stealthy thing.

I have 2. The first one had been in use for almost 20 years. The second at my apartment is around 8 years and may need one of the elements looking at- I might use this thread as inspiration to try and do it myself.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Residuals were good too when I chopped it in for a Rowlett Rutland, which is built even better and stealthy as a stealthy thing.
    Not heard of these before. Just looking at the website. I assume you went for the Premier? Price wise, there doesn't seem to be much between the Regent and the Premier.

Not heard of these before. Just looking at the website. I assume you went for the Premier? Price wise, there doesn't seem to be much between the Regent and the Premier.
    Apologies, I thought the Regent was called 'Rutland' for some reason.

Anyway, went for a black Regent as it looks absolutely class in my kitchen. A bit like a stealth bomber on the worktop.

It's this, and I'd highly recommend one:

http://www.rowlett.co.uk/products-2/...ter-jet-black/

Beware if you toast extra-thick things such as really fat crumpets as the slots are not massive. In that case you might want the 'thick and thin' version:

http://www.rowlett.co.uk/products-2/...-slot-toaster/

Craftsman
    Apologies, I thought the Regent was called 'Rutland' for some reason.

Anyway, went for a black Regent as it looks absolutely class in my kitchen. A bit like a stealth bomber on the worktop.
    It's a serious looking piece of kit. I like it, but I'm not sure what the boss will think ;)

It's a serious looking piece of kit. I like it, but I'm not sure what the boss will think ;)
    I had the same dilemma, but I thought to myself 'when was the last time I was consulted about soft furnishings?' and went ahead and bought it anyway.

Craftsman
    I had the same dilemma, but I thought to myself 'when was the last time I was consulted about soft furnishings?' and went ahead and bought it anyway.
    Good point :)

Craftsman
    I replaced the elements in ours, piece of cake if you know a spanner from a screwdriver.

Master
    I've had mine for well over twenty five years and only had to replace two elements. I noticed that the new elements had a clear thermal sheet/cover on them. The originals were bare wire.

You can replace the elements????!!!!

I've been getting one-sided toast for so long I've started to like it.

Are there any other options in the repairable toaster arena?

You thinking of opening a toaster repair shop?

Like so many brands they have introduced some models that are cheaper and plasticky to appeal to a wider market.

I have several of the traditional tough as nails ones as I park one in as standard in the kitchen of every home. They are up there with the Aga, Defender and Anglepoise as timeless design classics.

Master

toaster

I've had a Magimix 4 slot toaster for the last 10 years, it's been faultless over that time, another option to the Dualit.
    http://www.ecookshop.co.uk/ecookshop....asp?pid=11536

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    You can replace the elements????!!!!

I've been getting one-sided toast for so long I've started to like it.
    You could just take it off of the biegel setting...

I bought my first ever toaster as a result of this thread. Gits. It cost me £102 from Curry's! I didn't want to wait, or wait in for delivery so I collected it myself.

A two-slice Dualit Vario. It's really good and looks smart on my counter top.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You could just take it off of the biegel setting...
    Is that for making hot dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Is that for making hot dogs?
    They’re a bit smokey.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I bought my first ever toaster as a result of this thread. Gits. It cost me £102 from Curry's! I didn't want to wait, or wait in for delivery so I collected it myself.

A two-slice Dualit Vario. It's really good and looks smart on my counter top.
    But does it make good toast?
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Toaster brilliant and easy to work on, kettles are useless, had 3 in 3 years 2 under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    But does it make good toast?
    Excellent toast, crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. My current loaf is a medium cut white sliced. The only way I've found of making better is with a toasting fork over a real fire.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinon View Post
    Toaster brilliant and easy to work on, kettles are useless, had 3 in 3 years 2 under warranty.
    Agreed. I bought the 72200 1 litre kettle and something broke off inside the lid within the first week. The 4 slice toaster soldiers on.