closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Always good to see an old friend again ...

Always good to see an old friend again ...

I was lucky to get my Rolex sub (16610) for my 40th birthday - over eight and half years ago now! I've worn it pretty much every day since and before Christmas it finally began to lose time a bit and also made some strange noises (rotor perhaps?). So, back it went to John Pass in Crewe who arranged for it to be sent off for a service with Rolex.

Well, fast forward from then to now, and the watch came back today. It needed a new crystal and crown but is looking in fine form. Nice sympathetic case and bracelet treatment too and looks like new. I'm very pleased with it and I'm sure it is now ready for another 8 years of regular wear. It also came back in a nice leather wallet with a little booklet that details the various stages of the servicing process.

This watch was always a keeper for me. So, for those wondering about the cost of the service, it is a grand sum of 21p a day over the duration of my ownership of this fine watch. Great value in my view!

Last edited by jpjsavage; 18th January 2018 at 20:13.

Journeyman
    21p a day. I like those numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice - Rolex usually does a good but gentle polishing job, like a new watch. Plus all sealed, checked and ready for the pool/beach again. Should serve you well for the better part of another decade.

Master
    While I quite like the minor knocks and scrapes that long serving watches inevitably pick up, there is a lot to be said for a long-owned watch coming back looking like the day it was bought. It looks ace mate, nice one. John Pass are always great to deal with too.

Always good to see an old friend again ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    While I quite like the minor knocks and scrapes that long serving watches inevitably pick up, there is a lot to be said for a long-owned watch coming back looking like the day it was bought. It looks ace mate, nice one. John Pass are always great to deal with too.
    Thank you. Yes, very happy with the service from John Pass. They also managed to get me a blue dialled Skydweller lastyear which I am delighted with too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Very nice - Rolex usually does a good but gentle polishing job, like a new watch. Plus all sealed, checked and ready for the pool/beach again. Should serve you well for the better part of another decade.
    I hope so! I think this watch is the perfect size for me. Just a classic design and look imho.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I was lucky to get my Rolex sub (16610) for my 40th birthday - over eight and half years ago now!
    Sounds like a short countdown to the even BIGGER purchase for the next *ahem* milestone. :)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Sounds like a short countdown to the even BIGGER purchase for the next *ahem* milestone. :)
    100%! Hoping for an amazing anniversary Speedmaster!

In 1980, before many on here were even conceived, I was working on the Barbican Arts Centre. Building it as a Planning Engineer. I worked with a chap called Pete, when I queried buying some Loakes from a Shoe Shop on Brick Lane. Blackmans. He said son I work on £1/day/use. So the shoes were £35 he says wear for 35 days and they have paid for themselves, So this still appeals to my mindset. A Rolex I buy, I want to wear for 4500 days yay HaPpY Days ;-) footnote still have the loakes and they've been soled and healed many times. Sadly not anymore, the leather is giving up :-( But hey they are loved.

My favourite sub, just simple and effective. Have you got any more watches or just this one? Only you said worn daily

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Good result. It looks sharp !!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    My favourite sub, just simple and effective. Have you got any more watches or just this one? Only you said worn daily

I’m lucky to have a few watches but I keep coming back to this. That said, whilst it was away the Skydweller was enjoyed a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sheridan View Post
    Good result. It looks sharp !!

Thanks. I thought it brushed up well!

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I’m lucky to have a few watches but I keep coming back to this. That said, whilst it was away the Skydweller was enjoyed a bit!

Wow that’s stunning. Thanks for posting.

Lost some weight?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Lost some weight?

Sorry, couldn't resist!
    I wish! Nice thought though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by donkertraz View Post
    21p a day. I like those numbers.