closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources of Vinyl LPs

Banned
    Blog Entries

Sources of Vinyl LPs

Does anyone have recommendations for reliable on-line sources, with competitive prices and a good range of choice? Thanks.

WTB? ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I use HMV sometimes and also Banquet Records

Grand Master
    used or new?
    worth keeping an eye here for the odd bargain - Universal often clear the shelves through here at good prices. Postage is a bit steep for one lp but if you buy a few it stays the same.
    https://greatofferstore.com
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    used or new?
    worth keeping an eye here for the odd bargain - Universal often clear the shelves through here at good prices. Postage is a bit steep for one lp but if you buy a few it stays the same.
    https://greatofferstore.com
    Either. Thanks for the link.

Grand Master
    also keep an eye here, usa based so delivery takes a few weeks but occasionally gets some box sets are really good prices with a flat low delivery cost.
    https://www.discogs.com/seller/Colle...Choice/profile
    for used stuff there is a good group on facebook called the vinyl record exchange. it's a closed group and in the few deals i've done decriptions and standards are decent up to now.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    and finally...if you have a wants list post it up, i have a fairly large collection and a good friend is a used vinyl dealer.

if you have a hefty budget and want seriously rare vinyl try Minster Records in beverley, he seems to turn up some amazing barns finds pretty regularly -not my mate but a great shop.
    http://www.minster-records.co.uk
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    All the above is very much appreciated (but, in all likelihood, costly;)).

Grand Master
    I`m reading this with interest, I shall be re-commissioning my 1988 Thorens TD 166 mk 1V in the next few weeks. Can`t see myself getting sucked into the vinyl revival big-style, I`m a CD man through and through, but it'll be nice to have the Thorens running again rather than gathering dust in a cupboard. Most of my old vinyl is in poor condition so I`ll be looking to buy a few LPs............it'll be like being 14 all over again I started work aged 16 in 1974 and spent my new-found wealth on records, Dewsbury market on a Saturday afternoon was a happy hunting ground. With my shoulder-length hair and RAF greatcoat I certainly looked the part (or a prat)......happy days.

Here's a true story: At the age of 15 I was into heavy rock music (despite being a closet soul fan). It was Christmas 1973 and I`d been given money to spend in advance on records. My girlfriend was a David Cassidy fan (weren't they all in '73). At this time, Virgin Records had opened their first shop in Leeds, a dingy hole down a side street usually frequented by hippy-types who hung around the listening booths upstairs. Virgin had one big advantage....it was ALWAYS the cheapest. A friend and I set out for Leeds and headed for the Virgin shop to buy a Deep Purple album (Machinehead). I also wanted the David Cassidy album 'Cherish' for the girlfriend but felt self-conscious about asking for it, knowing it would do my credibility no good at all. Undeterred, I walked into Virgin and asked for Machinehead. At this point all was well, they had in stock, and no-one took much notice of me; with the long hair and greatcoat I fitted in, credibility was intact..........but that soon changed. Instead of going in to Boots to buy the David Cassidy album I asked the guy in Virgin whether they had it, hoping I could save a few bob. Other customers overheard and a few started to titter. I muttered something about it being for my girlfriend but by this stage my fragile adolescent credibility had nosedived and I started to feel like a pillock. By coincidence my best buddy had sharply exited the shop too.

I`ll never forget the assistant's reply.....' sorry, we only stock proper music in here'. I paid for Machinehead and slunk out, accompanied by the titters and jeers from the rest of the customers.

The Leeds Virgin shop was certainly an experience to behold in those days, nothing like the Virgin megastores that followed in the 80s.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    this one is excellent if you have one near you, good prices and all the classics from the Clash to the Beatles.

lots of books, posters and tee shirts all at good prices.

a lot of Oxfam and other charity shops have record sections.

if you are lucky you go in and some ones just off loaded all their LPs you can tell as its all the same genre or age.

http://www.fopp.com/stores/

Grand Master
    I want to relive the full-on experience of browsing through racks of records like we used to do!.........the hair may be gone and the greatcoat's certainly gone, but the sprit of '73 lives............which is more than can be said for poor David Cassidy.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I want to relive the full-on experience of browsing through racks of records like we used to do!.........the hair may be gone and the greatcoat's certainly gone, but the sprit of '73 lives............which is more than can be said for poor David Cassidy.

Paul
    its still a pleasure as is slipping a LP out of its sleeve in Oxfam and finding a un played record you've been looking for ages.

though what happens with me nowadays is I often get home and find I already have a copy.

Grand Master

Paul
    when you are in hull chap i know all the local vinyl mines.....really weirdly i've played Machine Head today!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    when you are in hull chap i know all the local vinyl mines.....really weirdly i've played Machine Head today!
    Jon, next time I'm over in Hull you'll be buying me so much beer I won't have a clue what I'm buying...........Might be having a visit to Fanthorpes* soon to look at speakers too!

Paul

*Fanthorpes is a genuine old-school hi-fi dealer in the old part of Hull.

Vinyl shops, nice olde world pubs, Blowers watch shop, Fanthorpes Hi-fi........Hull's where it's at!

Amazon has a great range and the delivery and packaging are beyond reproach. I've bought, and received as presents, loads of LPs from Amazon UK and Amazon France - the latest being Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (180g) and Cinema Concerto - Ennio Morricone conducting the orchestra of the National Academy of Santa Cecilia in Milan.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Amazon has a great range and the delivery and packaging are beyond reproach. I've bought, and received as presents, loads of LPs from Amazon UK and Amazon France - the latest being Miles Davis' Kind of Blue (180g) and Cinema Concerto - Ennio Morricone conducting the orchestra of the National Academy of Santa Cecilia in Milan.
    Good to hear. I have just ordered five from them, specifying for the discs to be boxed as it appears sometimes they are shipped in clear polythene sleeves with the cover on show.

Grand Master
    Jon, next time I'm over in Hull you'll be buying me so much beer I won't have a clue what I'm buying...........Might be having a visit to Fanthorpes* soon to look at speakers too!

Paul

*Fanthorpes is a genuine old-school hi-fi dealer in the old part of Hull.

Vinyl shops, nice olde world pubs, Blowers watch shop, Fanthorpes Hi-fi........Hull's where it's at!
    i happen to know a shop which has some very very good tdl rtl 2 in for iirc £60 at the moment paul, which is a total steal for a pretty classy speaker. i am almost tempted even though i have no use for them! (i also have some tatty looking but incredible sounding tdl rtl 3 in my loft...yours for the taking, ideal for the man cave but not for the front room cosmetically unless your mrs is very tolerant!)
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Sources of Vinyl LPs

On-line, Rough Trade?

Anybody remember the BBC documentary film about Sound It Out in Stockton? Great film and got to be worth a visit if in Stockton and it’s still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 18th January 2018 at 19:39.

I only by Vinyl and only done so for the last 30 years. Second hand is becoming increasingly risky as quality and ratings is an issue now. Unless your collecting, given most of the popular recordings have re-released or are in the process of being so, new is the best way forward. Amazon are okay, but not the cheapest always. The resellers are, but some are US based and I have been caught for VAT and handling charge which makes the very expensive. HMV/Fopp (same group) are competitive, match Amazon if not a little cheaper and they offer reward points (double on vinyl) which you can swap for instore discount. They order most things.
    Avoid coloured vinyl if you can...sounds crap.

Grand Master
    Second-hand vinyl is risky and likely to be disappointing in my view. Remember, some if the pressings from the 80s were poor quality from new and the vinyl seemed to damage very easily ( possibly too soft?). I can remember buying records that had surface noise from the start, and soon seemed to get worse. Other pressings were fine and seemed far more durable. Records were being pressed in far- flung places and quality was questionable to say the least.

In the early 80s there was a shop called Bostock records in Huddersfield that always had stacks of records at low prices. Most were pressed overseas ( Athens was a common source) and I often ended up taking records back because they were faulty. Invariably the replacement wasn’t much better!

Paul

Join Discogs

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Join Discogs
    +1.

Discogs has a huge choice

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Just out of interest,why does coloured vinyl sound crap?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Just out of interest,why does coloured vinyl sound crap?
    I`m guessing that the pressings aren`t good quality and perhaps the vinyl's softer?

Grand Master
    I`m guessing that the pressings aren`t good quality and perhaps the vinyl's softer?
    it's not always the case but as a general rule it's true. it's also much harder to see marks and dirt on used coloured vinyl.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....505037/page-2
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Some good suggestions already - Amazon, Discogs, eBay etc. I would add Norman records, Deepdiscount, Rough Trade and many other European based sellers, too many to list. Are you after new or used?

Coloured vinyl can be crap, but so can black. I would agree that colour is more likely to be inferior to black but you will nearly always get your money back on coloured vinyl if that matters to you.

If you want to keep abreast of new releases I would suggest keeping an eye on stevehoffman.tv and the vinyl collective forums.

Have fun, I have been a music collector for decades and just when I think I am nearly done, it seems to runaway on me again

Grand Master
    be aware of counterfeits, especially of classic albums. demand is outstripping supply and there are a LOT of counterfeits out there, those coloured vinyl led zep, kraftwerk, bowie albums? just about all fakes. occasionally they can sound fine but most are awful. I got stung with a copy of Electric Ladyland which sounded like it was mastered using only one of the channels. looks fine sounds dreadful! still on the lookout for a decent nudie sleeve copy on track records label.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    https://www.diversevinyl.com/ based in Cardiff but mostly mail order. Top quality discs.

Grand Master
    ...and another thing, if buying classic vinyl reissues do some searching, the source masters and cutting can vary wildly- some so called audiophile 180g re releases use the cd masters and if the engineer is not used to cutting vinyl the dynamics can be ruined. the Steve Hoffman forum is always worth a search to find out which issues cut the mustard.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Musicstack.com has pretty much ever second record shop on it. VERY good

Master
    Second-hand vinyl is risky and likely to be disappointing in my view. Remember, some if the pressings from the 80s were poor quality from new and the vinyl seemed to damage very easily ( possibly too soft?). I can remember buying records that had surface noise from the start, and soon seemed to get worse. Other pressings were fine and seemed far more durable. Records were being pressed in far- flung places and quality was questionable to say the least.

In the early 80s there was a shop called Bostock records in Huddersfield that always had stacks of records at low prices. Most were pressed overseas ( Athens was a common source) and I often ended up taking records back because they were faulty. Invariably the replacement wasn’t much better!

Paul
    I think that might still be there. There is certainly a very good vinyl place just by the Railway Station that I got some pretty rare and quite valuable Indie stuff from a couple of years ago. The basement had loads of cheap stuff.

Edit: The place I am thinking of is called Vinyl Tap.
    Last edited by Padders; 19th January 2018 at 21:55.

Master
    Blog Entries
    be aware of counterfeits, especially of classic albums. demand is outstripping supply and there are a LOT of counterfeits out there, those coloured vinyl led zep, kraftwerk, bowie albums? just about all fakes. occasionally they can sound fine but most are awful. I got stung with a copy of Electric Ladyland which sounded like it was mastered using only one of the channels. looks fine sounds dreadful! still on the lookout for a decent nudie sleeve copy on track records label.
    My German copy I bought 40 years ago,my favourite and most played record.

DM25 quite a lot in those. Days..

Grand Master
    want! (uk copy on track label ideally but.....)

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    My German copy I bought 40 years ago,my favourite and most played record.

DM25 quite a lot in those. Days..

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    I'm watching that already but i suspect it'll hit three figures pretty quickly!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think that might still be there. There is certainly a very good vinyl place just by the Railway Station that I got some pretty rare and quite valuable Indie stuff from a couple of years ago. The basement had loads of cheap stuff.

Edit: The place I am thinking of is called Vinyl Tap.
    Yes, I know the place. I visit Huddersfield every few weeks to meet former colleagues for food and beer, I’ve been in the shop a couple of times and bought a couple of CDs.

Bostock Records was in the Pack Horse Centre, I remember it well, I think it closed in the mid- 90s.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm watching that already but i suspect it'll hit three figures pretty quickly!
    I am giving my copy a spin the cover edge is well worn from pulling it out of the rack but there’s no crackling on the records.
    Seeing as how many times I’ve put it on when I was a drunk youngster I am surprised.

You might want to buy a copy of this book,it’s by John perry the only ones guitarist he’s a big fan.
    We are friends on face book, he often talks about the gigs he saw Jimi play then others chime in with story’s as well,fascinating.

Last edited by bwest76; 19th January 2018 at 23:20.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Join Discogs
    Excellent. That is my rainy Saturday afternoon sorted. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Excellent. That is my rainy Saturday afternoon sorted. Many thanks.
    When I discovered Discogs, it was about two months before I resurfaced

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When I discovered Discogs, it was about two months before I resurfaced
    I can believe it. Do you have any recommended U.K. retailers on the site?

I haven't really taken note of who I was buying from to be honest - more usually it's been about finding a seller with two or three records I want, to save on the postage. That usually means buying from somebody with a huge stock, and that usually means they know what they're doing.

Also, I'm not terribly bothered by condition or collectability, but if I were, I would take every single rating with a pinch of salt. Sometimes when you look at a seller you'll see that their entire stock has been given the same one or two condition ratings - doesn't inspire confidence that they've even spent a second gazing at each item.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I haven't really taken note of who I was buying from to be honest - more usually it's been about finding a seller with two or three records I want, to save on the postage. That usually means buying from somebody with a huge stock, and that usually means they know what they're doing.

Also, I'm not terribly bothered by condition or collectability, but if I were, I would take every single rating with a pinch of salt. Sometimes when you look at a seller you'll see that their entire stock has been given the same one or two condition ratings - doesn't inspire confidence that they've even spent a second gazing at each item.
    Thanks. I’ll give it a spin! (Sorry)

I am the same as Der Amf, I dont take much notice of the seller other than their feedback. You will find German sellers often have the cheapest postage for anything outside of the UK. Discogs is a great way to catalogue your collection too, you can export it to xls and have a detailed record for insurance purposes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    I only by Vinyl and only done so for the last 30 years. Second hand is becoming increasingly risky as quality and ratings is an issue now. Unless your collecting, given most of the popular recordings have re-released or are in the process of being so, new is the best way forward. Amazon are okay, but not the cheapest always. The resellers are, but some are US based and I have been caught for VAT and handling charge which makes the very expensive. HMV/Fopp (same group) are competitive, match Amazon if not a little cheaper and they offer reward points (double on vinyl) which you can swap for instore discount. They order most things.
    Avoid coloured vinyl if you can...sounds crap.
    That looks like a great set-up with 3 turntables. Are they all connected to different amps and speakers or do you have them set-up so they are selectable in some way? Also, what are the turntables??

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That looks like a great set-up with 3 turntables. Are they all connected to different amps and speakers or do you have them set-up so they are selectable in some way? Also, what are the turntables??
    Thank you.
    It is set-up so I can switch between them. The phono (I built it - valves) has switchable loading so the different cartridges are loaded correctly.
    TT in the pic are Technics SP10 MKII/Pro, Kenwood L07D and Garrard 301. I have swapped the Garrard out and now using very rare Onkyo PX-100M. Tone arms are a mix of Alphason, Audiocraft, Fidelity Research and Grace. (L-07D has 2 mounted).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why do you have 3 decks?

Can recommend Lost in Vinyl , excellent service .

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Why do you have 3 decks?
    Bit like watches.....I collect them. I'm fascinated by the 1980s Japanese Direct Drive statement turntables (bonkers prices, technological marvels on which they lost money on every one made) of which I have a few. They do all sound different as well, some suit certain types of music.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    Can recommend Lost in Vinyl , excellent service .
    Ta, just ordered four discs from their sale.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Bit like watches.....I collect them. I'm fascinated by the 1980s Japanese Direct Drive statement turntables (bonkers prices, technological marvels on which they lost money on every one made) of which I have a few. They do all sound different as well, some suit certain types of music.
    interesting, I don't think I would notice the difference and takes up space.

what racking do you use for the records?