closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources of Vinyl LPs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Thank you.
    It is set-up so I can switch between them. The phono (I built it - valves) has switchable loading so the different cartridges are loaded correctly.
    TT in the pic are Technics SP10 MKII/Pro, Kenwood L07D and Garrard 301. I have swapped the Garrard out and now using very rare Onkyo PX-100M. Tone arms are a mix of Alphason, Audiocraft, Fidelity Research and Grace. (L-07D has 2 mounted).
    Thanks. Looks very cool indeed. Great that you built the phono stage yourself! I like Japanese direct drive turntables too - not as exotic as yours though - I have a more humble Akai model.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I'm watching that already but i suspect it'll hit three figures pretty quickly!
    I phoned my local record shop to see if they had a copy for you in the S/H department.
    it was like talking to a wall he didn't know who Jimi Hendrix was let alone anything else.
    couldn't be bothered to look either, todays youth.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    interesting, I don't think I would notice the difference and takes up space.

what racking do you use for the records?
    Racking is Ikea Kallax units. I note Argos are now selling a similar shelving unit called Hygena.
    Last edited by gerard; 20th January 2018 at 19:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Racking is Ikea Kallax units. I note Argos are now selling a similar shelving unit call Hygena.
    thanks since my house move most of my records are in boxes.

Craftsman
    I've bet the band wagon with vinyl and got some good bargains before the hype.
    Best scorce used to be car boots but now half of these are now picking best out, putting them in a plastic sleeve and wanting daft money!!
    Cannot beat the sound of vinyl, think people are fed up with the clinical sound!!
    Some of the art work on the sleeves is amazing, a pal of mine buys some records just for this and frames them (they look great)

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I phoned my local record shop to see if they had a copy for you in the S/H department.
    it was like talking to a wall he didn't know who Jimi Hendrix was let alone anything else.
    couldn't be bothered to look either, todays youth.
    ta for that....not in a rush (i have the french barclay version with a different psychedelic sleeve and different/ and or better mastering) but there is something iconic about the original track version. as an aside, check out all the hendrix original barclay french pressings, they do sound very different, much more balanced.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...amples.170765/
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Pink Fish forum is for hifi addicts. http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/ They will help you with recommendations and also have some vinyl for sale by members.

Craftsman
    HMV is pretty good. They often have sales with some decent reductions. They had an amazing Kraftwerk remaster collection box set reduced before Xmas.

I sold a good chunk of my collection including rare white labels about 15 years ago for peanuts before it got fashionable again.

As regards different decks. I have 2x Technics 1200s. Which are amazing for dance and some pop music. But I had (but sold) a Rega Planar 3 which was much better for normal music. I have a strange collection. Loads of dance music from late 80s to up to date calling at all speeds and genres in between. Then loads of classic pop/rock as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    HMV is pretty good. They often have sales with some decent reductions. They had an amazing Kraftwerk remaster collection box set reduced before Xmas.

I sold a good chunk of my collection including rare white labels about 15 years ago for peanuts before it got fashionable again.

As regards different decks. I have 2x Technics 1200s. Which are amazing for dance and some pop music. But I had (but sold) a Rega Planar 3 which was much better for normal music. I have a strange collection. Loads of dance music from late 80s to up to date calling at all speeds and genres in between. Then loads of classic pop/rock as well.
    Yes, HMV is another of my newly found haunts. I have bought a Rega Planar 6 (with Ania MC) to kick proceedings off on the hardware front, plus a Rega Aria phono stage and Elex R amp. Waiting to audition PMC Twenty5.23 speakers to complete the system.
    Last edited by Skyman; 22nd January 2018 at 08:23.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    https://www.diversevinyl.com/ based in Cardiff but mostly mail order. Top quality discs.
    These are just across the bridge from me (Newport) so I shall certainly be making a visit.

I've a thousand rock and blues what are you after?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    do you have a list chap?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just starting to rebuild my collection, so - Pink Floyd, Led Z, Cream, Sabbath, AC/DC, Marillion, GNR, Queen etc, you get the drift.

Grand Master
    Certain Hendrix, Savoy Brown, Groundhogs, Mayall, Funkadelic, Parliament, Fairport, QOTSA, plus prog, krautrock, electronic wanted here....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    So I list all my vinyl on Discogs; about 120 albums. Discogs reckon the value to be £250 (low) to £1150 (high). First offer from local record shop: £150. They were a bit surprised when I declined.

Master
    Bit like watches.....I collect them. I'm fascinated by the 1980s Japanese Direct Drive statement turntables (bonkers prices, technological marvels on which they lost money on every one made) of which I have a few. They do all sound different as well, some suit certain types of music.
    You ever have a strathearn audio turntable?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    You ever have a strathearn audio turntable?

Never had one know of them and listened to a one in the 1980s. Bit like the DeLoren, also out of Northern Ireland from memory.

And what about a Michell Transcriptor, anyone had or, better still, have one of those?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Yes, HMV is another of my newly found haunts. I have bought a Rega Planar 6 (with Ania MC) to kick proceedings off on the hardware front, plus a Rega Aria phono stage and Elex R amp. Waiting to audition PMC Twenty5.23 speakers to complete the system.

Nice. I have a Teac 500 AMP, and Sony SS 176 floorstanding speakers. Both were very well reviewed at the time, but showing their age slightly. The speakers are 20+ years old, and have moved around the country, been in storage etc. But still not too shabby.

Master
    Never had one know of them and listened to a one in the 1980s. Bit like the DeLoren, also out of Northern Ireland from memory.
    Spot on. They were some sort of magnetic drive IIRC. My brother still has my old one in his loft.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    do you have a list chap?
    I can make one and publish it here ASAP

Argent to ZZ Top
    Last edited by wildheart; 23rd January 2018 at 11:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Just starting to rebuild my collection, so - Pink Floyd, Led Z, Cream, Sabbath, AC/DC, Marillion, GNR, Queen etc, you get the drift.
    I've most of those no GnR vinyl or Queen other than most of Queens singles

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can make one and publish it here ASAP

Argent to ZZ Top
    That could be very interesting!

I think most of the main sources of my vinyl buying nowadays have been mentioned, but a couple that haven't that are always worth a look are..

https://www.juno.co.uk/ - along with Norman Records usually get hold of most new pressings

https://bandcamp.com/ - direct from the artist or label if you're into more diverse stuff

Allyourmusic on Ebay - from the US but consistently cheaper than anywhere else.

https://boomkat.com/ - more left field stuff but has some really good repressings of hard to find electronica

I buy a lot of techno / electronic but that's either direct from the label or from German websites, too many to list unless you have something specific you want..