closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ways to protect polished gold watch bracelet (oyster)

Journeyman

Ways to protect polished gold watch bracelet (oyster)

Hi ,

For the band on a ceramic two tone sub , I see that they tend to pick up desk dive scratches really easily , what's the best way to avoid them. I have ordered a protective film type product but am keen to hear what others are using if anything

Blog Entries
    Sell it. Its not the watch for you.

Hi, the best solution is not to wear it. I'm not sure you can ever stop light normal scratches so I think you'll be better reconciling with that and taking comfort in th fact that once it's covered in them, a simple polish will bring it up like new. I like my watches minty so it's easier to say than to do, but honestly that's the best answer.

Craftsman
    Swop it for a stainless steel one

Master
    Watches get marks; it doesn't matter. If you can't accept that, maybe a leather strap?

Swap it out for a nato strap,leather etc...Remember rolex can Polish bracelets during service.otherwise reduce wearing and get a beater or sell.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Look on it as character!

Journeyman
    I'm under no illusions that it will pick up scratches , but would like to minimise them if at all possible.

The film seems like it will do the job for me , I prefer not to polish gold too often.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Look on it as character!
    That's one way of looking at it ! , I think there too new of a model to get away with much more than light marks though without looking abused.

Cling Film
    It's just a matter of time...

Just wear the bloody thing. Have it polished if and when it really needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    Hi ,

For the band on a ceramic two tone sub , I see that they tend to pick up desk dive scratches really easily , what's the best way to avoid them. I have ordered a protective film type product but am keen to hear what others are using if anything
    Renaissance wax?

Apprentice

Smile

Hi ,

I would buy another everyday watch and use the ceramic one only in few and important situations.

PCLs in any metal will inevitably pickup scuffs and scratches no matter how careful you are. Gold PCLs unfortunately pickup the most.
    I don't know what sort of protection film you have got (i did a quick search and see that Cousins supply a few types) or how you are going to apply it. If applying over the whole bracelet then you are going to look a bit stupid wearing a visible plastic film around your watch bracelet. If you want to just fit it over the Gold PCLs then that is quite a job to get right and I would imagine that any protective film would peel away quite easily particularly if you get your Sub wet by perhaps using it for swimming etc.
    In summary, if it bothers you then perhaps you need to think about not wearing it and wearing another watch.

I've often thought a service fitting made to measure ultra thin film for high end watches like paint protection film on supercars would maybe have a market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can’t mate. Fact of life polished central links especially my Datejust 2 will pick up swirls and scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Wear it under the cuff off the shirt. This will minimise but not eliminate marking. Also remember that when it eventually goes for a service it will come back looking brand new. It took me a while to get over my ocd but if you don’t you will never enjoy wearing it.

Master
    Buy a second one, and keep it in its box, in the safe and never ever, ever wear it, this will always remind you how minty your everyday one could have been if you hadn’t worn it...

Grand Master
    Gold will mark more easily, that's a fact, but it can be made to look OK easier than steel. A light polish with a rouge cloth will restore the lustre, what it actually does it take a minute amount of metal of the high points of the scratches and they won`t be as obvious. To totally remove them will require more serious polishing and you can`t be doing that too frequently.

Think about it; a scratch is like a plough furrow in a field, think where the metal's gone. Light polishing takes the sharpness off the ploughed ip metal, it softens the edge of the scratch, and it ceases to be noticeable unless you look hard. A rouge cloth will also remove the very fine hairlines that can make gold look dull.

Scratches to the clasp are almost inevitable; wearing long sleeved shirts can help but it doesn`t work for me because I don`t like anything with long sleeves!

Hopefully my constructive comments will make up for some of the crap that's been posted on this thread.

Paul

Master
    Just don’t wear it if you’re that bothered, mount it and carry it around with you in a presentation box 👍🏿

If correctly worn under the cuff of your shirt you will not pick up "desk diving" marks. It will of course still get marked if you ding it, whilst reaching into the metal drawers of a filing cabinet, with the wrong hand!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    If correctly worn under the cuff of your shirt you will not pick up "desk diving" marks. It will of course still get marked if you ding it, whilst reaching into the metal drawers of a filing cabinet, with the wrong hand!
    PCLs can easily pick up micro scratches worn under a shirt cuff. They're a fact of life. The OP should deal with it or get a different watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    PCLs can easily pick up micro scratches worn under a shirt cuff. They're a fact of life. The OP should deal with it or get a different watch.
    Exactly.

Deeper scratches wouldn’t matter whether it was steel or gold, they would need a proper refurb to either remove or improve. In fact in my experience, having a number of gold, or gold centre link watches, polished gold marks no more easily than polished steel in real world use - the highly polished surfaces are affected equally by the same type of wear, i.e. desk diving. Absolutely no difference in the type of swirls between my gold Rolex watches, or steel GMTc or DJ.

Master
    This is a gold Oyster bracelet, on my Daytona. About two years old and worn a lot. As you can see, some battle scars, although bright light and the camera make it look a lot worse than it is . You can't enjoy a watch if you get too worried. It would polish out, if I cared...

As it is, I will wait until it is time for a service. I quite like the feeling of a watch being used.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th January 2018 at 18:48.

Good to see another white gold Daytona getting a lot of wear - you’ll have a way to go until yours looks as lived in as mine though ;)

Journeyman
    Yeah thats not too bad , i just had visions of using it for a week and having the polished gold sections look like crap. As long as they hold up as well as the steel im not too concerned. Although will still be carefull !

You will be pleased to hear that they aren’t made out of chocolate, or the gold that covers the chocolate coins ;)

A few years ago I got tired of waiting for Damasko to make a bracelet for their watches so I took the matter into my own hands. Perhaps something like this could work for you, keeping the original to refit on special occasions . . .

. . . ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

I’d be worried about marking that up - is it thin rose gold?

Master
    Looking cool and carefree with your two-tone Rolex wrapped in protective film... could be from a comedy show!-)

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A few years ago I got tired of waiting for Damasko to make a bracelet for their watches so I took the matter into my own hands. Perhaps something like this could work for you, keeping the original to refit on special occasions . . .

. . . ;-)
    A God walks amongst us!

Journeyman
    Had a laugh at some of the replies thanks ha , feel a lot more comfortable now. just had picked it up that the gold was going to be this soft scratch magnet.

The film product I have was a precut and model specific sort of vinyl , when fitted its near enough invisible but gives me peace of mind.

Really, just enjoy your watch. It's a tool to tell the time.
    If you can't wear a watch - regardless of style, brand or cost - for fear of it getting a bit scratched between services then - bluntly- you can't really afford the watch.

I don't say that to provoke any of our more sensitive members - it's just how it is - day to day ownership of a watch should not cause anxiety.

It's like buying a watch and not factoring in service costs - so many people make purchases beyond their actual comfort zones.

Grand Master

The film product I have was a precut and model specific sort of vinyl , when fitted its near enough invisible but gives me peace of mind.
    Sounds like wearing a jonny.

Wrapping a watch in film to protect from signs of wear ? Get a grip.

Craftsman
    It seems like a reasonable question to me. I hope the coating works out - let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Really, just enjoy your watch. It's a tool to tell the time.
    If you can't wear a watch - regardless of style, brand or cost - for fear of it getting a bit scratched between services then - bluntly- you can't really afford the watch.
    What a load of rubbish. Wanting to keep your watch in as good as condition as possible is nothing to do with being able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    This is a gold Oyster bracelet, on my Daytona. About two years old and worn a lot. As you can see, some battle scars, although bright light and the camera make it look a lot worse than it is . You can't enjoy a watch if you get too worried. It would polish out, if I cared...
    As it is, I will wait until it is time for a service. I quite like the feeling of a watch being used.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Surprised it looks so "unused" if you wore it for 2 years :o saw younger steel PCLs in much worse condition

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The OP should deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Get a grip.
    I would rather be overanxious about protecting my jewellery than taking this tone on a totally harmless thread.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I would rather be overanxious about protecting my jewellery than taking this tone on a totally harmless thread.
    Quite,

A queue of self-righteous bores lining up to jump on the bandwagon. The OP has asked a completely sensible question that deserves the same sort of response. Unfortunately I can't help...

Wear it under a sweatband.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiztence View Post
    Surprised it looks so "unused" if you wore it for 2 years :o saw younger steel PCLs in much worse condition
    Thanks, but it gets plenty of use. I'm probably not 'hard' on my watches, compared with some people with very active lives. I still don't think it is worth worrying. All can be put-right if it gets too bad. There's no fun if you are over-protective.
    I do have a tough Citizen which I wear in really bad conditions...lots of mud and seawater.
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th January 2018 at 10:39.

Journeyman
    Thanks guys (well most of you ;) )

I guess some folks on here don't respect there possessions if looking after things gets them upset.

Master

I guess some folks on here don't respect there possessions if looking after things gets them upset.
    I don't think it's that. Getting upset would defeat the purpose of the hobby, which is presumably to have fun. But you have to find a way of being comfortable. Worrying about little marks and scratches would defeat the object, to me anyway. You own the watch, it shouldn't own you.
    And I am slightly confused at the notion of 'respecting' inanimate objects.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    What a load of rubbish. Wanting to keep your watch in as good as condition as possible is nothing to do with being able to afford it.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that one would deliberately want to damage ones watch, but if the idea of a few scratches (easily polished out at service) actually causes you stress, then it's perhaps time for a rethink...

That's quite a wild guess. Who has said looking after a watch would in any way upset them?

Journeyman
    OP, can you post a photo of the bracelet with the plastic protection please? Be good to see how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    OP, can you post a photo of the bracelet with the plastic protection please? Be good to see how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Wear it under a sweatband.
    Guilty of that before (although not at a desk - more in the garage, the garden, or the kayak)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Lol, looking good mister!

Gotta protect those gold centre links some how - at any cost!