closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ways to protect polished gold watch bracelet (oyster)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    I'm not for one minute suggesting that one would deliberately want to damage ones watch, but if the idea of a few scratches (easily polished out at service) actually causes you stress, then it's perhaps time for a rethink...
    No you suggested that if you are worried about scratching your Rolex then you can’t really afford to wear one. I stand by what I said - this is a load of rubbish. I try to avoid scratching my Seiko just as much as I try to avoid scratching my omegas. What does that mean? I can’t afford a Seiko?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    No you suggested that if you are worried about scratching your Rolex then you can’t really afford to wear one. I stand by what I said - this is a load of rubbish. I try to avoid scratching my Seiko just as much as I try to avoid scratching my omegas. What does that mean? I can’t afford a Seiko?

I think it really depends on why you are stressing doesn’t it, either its because you can’t handle the drop in value associated with scratches or you can’t afford to have the watch polished as regularly as you would want, or its because you like your stuff staying nice.

Probably should also be noted he said stress, which is different from trying to avoid. Do you wince every time you feel your watches potentially scratch and then worry about it and anxiety about the next scratch? If not, then probably doesn’t apply to you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Much as I like the polished centre links on some Rolex models, particularly the bimetal Oysters, I can`t help thinking the finish on the clasp would be better if it wasn`t polished. On the older bimetals the clasp was simply a brushed steel affair, maybe it didn`t look as impressive but it stood up to wear and tear better. Having the Rolex logo recessed rather than standing proud would help too.

I have a couple of old bimetal Omegas with brushed gold centre links and steel clasps, they're far more durable for everyday wear. Brushed gold centre links is a good look, my pre-Bond bimetal Seamaster Pro gets a lot of wear and it's an easy job to redo the finish if it gets scratched. You don`t need to be an expert, a steady hand and a scotchbrite pad fastened to a small piece of flat wood works wonders.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    As long as they hold up as well as the steel im not too concerned. Although will still be carefull !
    Neither holds up well. Gold will hold up worse - it's a softer material. It's not a night and day difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post

That you're over cautious perhaps...

...a watch is a tool and a bit of jewellery worn on an area of the body likely to come into contact with hard or abrasive surfaces.

Worrying about scratches that can be polished out at service detracts from the enjoyment of a thing...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 19th January 2018 at 18:52.

Master
    Not gold but ...

The surface of the moon, perhaps?

Master
    Zoom out a bit.

Master
    In the words of the disgraced Australian entertainer, can you tell what it is yet?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    I think it really depends on why you are stressing doesn’t it, either its because you can’t handle the drop in value associated with scratches or you can’t afford to have the watch polished as regularly as you would want, or its because you like your stuff staying nice.

Probably should also be noted he said stress, which is different from trying to avoid. Do you wince every time you feel your watches potentially scratch and then worry about it and anxiety about the next scratch? If not, then probably doesn’t apply to you.

Another daft comment on a thread that seems to be bringing the worst out in some folks.

Why do I call it a daft comment?.......because the poster has jumped to the conclusion that it’s all about the cost......either of having it regularly refinished or fall in value! I do my own refinishing to a high standard, it costs me nothing, but I still hate getting my watches marked or scratched.

Some of us possess an inate desire to look after our prized possessions. The OP has expressed an urged to keep his watch scratch- free, why does he deserve to attract the derisory comments that have plagued this thread?

How many of the folks who have posted snide comments and critical snipes would have said the same thing in a face to face conversation? Go on, ask yourselves!

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Another daft comment on a thread that seems to be bringing the worst out in some folks.

Why do I call it a daft comment?.......because the poster has jumped to the conclusion that it’s all about the cost......either of having it regularly refinished or fall in value! I do my own refinishing to a high standard, it costs me nothing, but I still hate getting my watches marked or scratched.

Some of us possess an inate desire to look after our prized possessions. The OP has expressed an urged to keep his watch scratch- free, why does he deserve to attract the derisory comments that have plagued this thread?

How many of the folks who have posted snide comments and critical snipes would have said the same thing in a face to face conversation? Go on, ask yourselves!

Paul
    I’m sorry Paul, I was actually talking about sandman’s post as a reply umbongo, which I am pretty sure was about cost. I was not making a snide comment or being critical of the OP. I am in fact interested to see how the OP’s covering turns out. I’m sorry if I came across the wrong way as that was not my intention.

From today's Friday thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    From today's Friday thread
    Haha that’s good (and a much needed bit of light humour).

Paul
    Me.

Master
    I feel a bit sorry for the op. He has come on here to ask for advice from watch enthusiasts and has had to suffer some unneseccsry posts. Doesn’t encourage to ask question at all. Some folk just like to keep items pristine that is why ppf exists for cars. No one says a guy who wraps a Lamborghini is too precious over it.

Blog Entries
    Maybe the OP could take the links out ?

It might look like this ..

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I feel a bit sorry for the op. He has come on here to ask for advice from watch enthusiasts and has had to suffer some unneseccsry posts. Doesn’t encourage to ask question at all. Some folk just like to keep items pristine that is why ppf exists for cars. No one says a guy who wraps a Lamborghini is too precious over it.
    I do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I do.

There are those that have to worry whether their water will be clean enough to drink each day.

I think that we need some perspective here. A scratched watch strap is a first world worry.

Master
    Yes I cringe when this topic comes up. If you are really worried about scratching a bracelet, don't wear the watch.

I always take my Watch off when doing stuff in the kitchen or loading and unloading the dishwasher etc. Easy enough, take it off, do what your doing and pop it back on when finished. Never banged a watch yet. It does amaze me how people manage to put dinks in a watch case or even scratch a scratch proof crystal.

I always thought the Rolex USP was its everyday wearability and durability, come rain or shine.

Sure, the first couple of marks are annoying, but no one else can see them.

In time, the preciousness should wear off, and the watch should be seen for what it is, a beautifully engineered, functional, friend........knowing that, every 5-10 years, it can be serviced and restored to new.

Are there any 'ceramic' coatings that actually provide any protection?

None just wear it enjoy it
    Life's too short

Paul
    Of course they, we, I would say it face to face. it's like leaving F'ng plastic wrap on your furniture just in case it gets any wear!
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Or you can be like those guys who leave the plastic wrapping on their car seats. Classy.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    every 5-10 years, it can be serviced and restored to new.
    No, it can’t!

If the watch and bracelet are battered they can be improved but it cannot be made to look new again. Common sense when you think about it, but people seem to believe any sort of damage is miraculously fixed by having a service and ‘spa’.

People see watches come back from service and refinishing, and they look like new........that’s usually because they weren’t in horrendous condition to start with! Refinishing is exactly that, refinishing. If the case and bracelet have deep damage, particularly on the edges, the appearance can be improved but the watch won’t look new again.

I’m not saying a watch should be wrapped in cotton wool all it’s life, but having spent several thousand on a watch it makes sense to be reasonably careful with it. Fine scratches are inevitable, and the clasps do pick up marks, they can be polished out every few years. If I’ve understood correctly that’s the OPs area of concern.

Paul

Journeyman
    Im waiting for the protectors to arrive , but think along the lines of a phone screen protector.

Then again by the replies nobody would dare use a screen protector on their phone for fear of a stoning ha

Journeyman
    This is what im talking about , hes just uploaded a new video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_J7vctJqU

Journeyman
    I was expecting maybe some posts saying no they wouldn't bother.

But not things like get a grip , you cant afford the watch etc etc. Strange place

No, it can’t!

If the watch and bracelet are battered they can be improved but it cannot be made to look new again. Common sense when you think about it, but people seem to believe any sort of damage is miraculously fixed by having a service and ‘spa’.

People see watches come back from service and refinishing, and they look like new........that’s usually because they weren’t in horrendous condition to start with! Refinishing is exactly that, refinishing. If the case and bracelet have deep damage, particularly on the edges, the appearance can be improved but the watch won’t look new again.

I’m not saying a watch should be wrapped in cotton wool all it’s life, but having spent several thousand on a watch it makes sense to be reasonably careful with it. Fine scratches are inevitable, and the clasps do pick up marks, they can be polished out every few years. If I’ve understood correctly that’s the OPs area of concern.

Paul
    You like to swing to the extremes Paul. No one was suggesting a truly battered watch will return like new. Most watches won’t get battered. Even if they did they would come back from a decent service looking much better and be very wearable.

I’m also damn sure the vast majority of us are damn well careful of our watches, and don’t crawl through gravel with them every week, when we can.

Your last two sentences add something to the overall thread though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its not a brilliant idea putting an adhesive on a watch. It's going to be great when bits start to peel and collect abrasive particles.
    Have you seen some of the gunk that collects underneath old Rolex case back stickers?
    It's a sure fire way to make the watch look grim in a couple of months.
    YouTube fella is going to tell you it's great because he's selling it.

It's your watch and your choice but micro scratches are inevitable with wear. Despite comments in the contrary they can be refinished to look "as new" during service unless it's significant damage.
    I suspect from what you're said you're careful with it so take this advice with the assumption that you're not going to be sporting it for bricklaying.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    This is what im talking about , hes just uploaded a new video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV_J7vctJqU
    From a brief look, it's pretty well concealed. Might just be his selected lighting though.

Would I use it? No. I hate plastic protectors on stuff.

Out of curiosity, I conducted a brief google search to see whether anyone had brushed gold PCLs to match the SS outer links, as some GMT II owners have done.
    I couldn't see that anyone had gone that far, but I did spot a thread on TRF, which contained this image of a TT Sub after five years of wear.
    I suppose it all depends on how hard you expect to be on the watch.

Good luck to the OP with his stickers and I do understand the desire to keep a watch as pristine as possible. However when I've noticed an annoying scratch on my Explorer's polished bevel, I break out the Cape Code and give it quick going over. Those stickers would be too much of a faff and I agree with Verv, they may well look awful in a short period of time.

Apprentice

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A few years ago I got tired of waiting for Damasko to make a bracelet for their watches so I took the matter into my own hands. Perhaps something like this could work for you, keeping the original to refit on special occasions . . .

. . . ;-)
    I would make three or four turn around the wrist. One and a half seems too thin.