closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SMPc HEV problem

Master

SMPc HEV problem

Last night i noticed my HEV Crown was very tight, it took a few attempts to try and free it and when it did actually free up the Crown just came off, it looks like the tiny Stem inside has snapped but it screws back onto the thread as normal.

Now, am i right in thinking if i sent it to Omega they would just turn round and say i maybe dropped the Watch? Or am i doing Omega an injustice saying that? I have never had to send a Watch back on warranty before, but have read of bad after sales troubles in the past from various brands.

The Watch is just less than a year old and has the remainder of its three year warranty remaining, the only thing i can think of why it became so tight is the fact i tried my Speedy Bracelet on it last night and it wouldn't fit so maybe i gripped the Watch head a bit tighter than normal in the stuggle, who knows!

If Omega where to say its user error or has been dropped (again never been dropped once) i might be inclined to live with it until i get it serviced in the future, thats if it doesn't drive my Watch OCD nuts of course :)

Anyway, i would appreciate your input on this very much.

Cheers
    Matt

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Matt68; 18th January 2018 at 07:58.

Craftsman
    If it's not been dropped and there is no evidence of it being dropped I can't see why they would reject a warranty.

I would send it off to them without a worry.

As far as I know, it doesn't have a stem. It's only function is to relieve pressure when sitting in a decompression chamber.
    Last edited by Man of Kent; 18th January 2018 at 08:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    As far as I know, it doesn't have a stem. It's only function is to relieve pressure when sitting in a decompression chamber.
    The only other thing to come off was the tiny spring, was lucky not to loose it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It needs to go back definitely. Did you buy through an AD ? If so, let them take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    It needs to go back definitely. Did you buy through an AD ? If so, let them take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, purchased new by myself from my local AD

Master
    Just another question, it's looks like this Watch is going back to Omega, I have fitted an adjustable clasp to the bond bracelet that wasn't designed for my Watch, could Omega frown upon this and it possibly effect my warranty claim?

In other words would you refit the original clasp or would it not matter being nothing to do with the problem?

Master
    Not sure if it’s possible from where you are, but if you can, try and call into an omega boutique and get them to have a look. I’ve been into the one on Bond Street (many moons ago now) and I found the chaps extremely helpful with customer service second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Just another question, it's looks like this Watch is going back to Omega, I have fitted an adjustable clasp to the bond bracelet that wasn't designed for my Watch, could Omega frown upon this and it possibly effect my warranty claim?

In other words would you refit the original clasp or would it not matter being nothing to do with the problem?

I would send back as bought just in case, I.e. Fit original clasp.

The hev should never be totally unscrewed, there's just no need. They might check it for you but be prepared to pay for your "user error". Also, the non original clasp might add to their opinion of you as a bit of a tinkerer and therefore more grounds to charge you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The hev should never be totally unscrewed, there's just no need. They might check it for you but be prepared to pay for your "user error". Also, the non original clasp might add to their opinion of you as a bit of a tinkerer and therefore more grounds to charge you.
    The HEV crown can be totally unscrewed to its stop without any harm whatsoever, it's how it's designed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    The HEV crown can be totally unscrewed to its stop without any harm whatsoever, it's how it's designed.
    Yep but it isn't designed to be unscrewed beyond the stop and come off!

Master
    When I unscrewed the Crown I didn't come across the normal stop, it just came off

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    When I unscrewed the Crown I didn't come across the normal stop, it just came off

Then it was knackered! Used mine for years and the crown would be unscrewed for a 5 day deco, watch used as normal and no damage to stem etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Then it was knackered! Used mine for years and the crown would be unscrewed for a 5 day deco, watch used as normal and no damage to stem etc.
    Okay thanks Mike, I will see what Omega have to say, just hope they don't try billing me for it, or I will blue lock tight the thing back on till next service lol

Grand Master
    Have you ever unscrewed the crown and found the action to be normal? Is it possible that it's been faulty from new?

I`ve had lots of these apart. The crown screws onto the threaded end of a long screw that is tightened into the crown from inside the case. It's a small diameter, far smaller than a stem, and it's vital that it isn`t overtightened during assembly. If it is, the screw will break, simple as that, and it doesn`t take a lot to cause this. Correct assembly procedure is to use strong Loctite on the ends of the thread and don`t overtighten it into the crown. When the He crown is unscrewed you should feel it stop when it's gone far enough, it's hard to mistake this. Continuing to unscrew the crown would cause the inner screw to shear.

If the stub of the screw is inside the crown then it's definitely sheared. However, it's also possible it's unscrewed from the thread and no damage has occurred. This could happen if it wasn`t tightened originally or wasn`t fitted with Loctite.

As the watch is under warranty it needs to go back to Omega. It's worth inspecting the crown with a strong magnifier and establishing what's happened with it and whether the screw has sheared. If it's sheared they'll tell you it's user error, if it hasn`t it's down to poor assembly initially.

That's my take on it. If the screw has sheared there's a chance it could work itself out of the valve and cause some mayhem, I strongly advise getting this sorted out without delay.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Have you ever unscrewed the crown and found the action to be normal? Is it possible that it's been faulty from new?

I`ve had lots of these apart. The crown screws onto the threaded end of a long screw that is tightened into the crown from inside the case. It's a small diameter, far smaller than a stem, and it's vital that it isn`t overtightened during assembly. If it is, the screw will break, simple as that, and it doesn`t take a lot to cause this. Correct assembly procedure is to use strong Loctite on the ends of the thread and don`t overtighten it into the crown. When the He crown is unscrewed you should feel it stop when it's gone far enough, it's hard to mistake this. Continuing to unscrew the crown would cause the inner screw to shear.

If the stub of the screw is inside the crown then it's definitely sheared. However, it's also possible it's unscrewed from the thread and no damage has occurred. This could happen if it wasn`t tightened originally or wasn`t fitted with Loctite.

As the watch is under warranty it needs to go back to Omega. It's worth inspecting the crown with a strong magnifier and establishing what's happened with it and whether the screw has sheared. If it's sheared they'll tell you it's user error, if it hasn`t it's down to poor assembly initially.

That's my take on it. If the screw has sheared there's a chance it could work itself out of the valve and cause some mayhem, I strongly advise getting this sorted out without delay.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    Hi Paul, i was kinda hoping you would read this and give your opinion so thanks, yes, the HE worked perfectly before hand, the thread was smooth and came to a positive stop at the end.

I wont be happy with Omega if they do say its user error as only i know its not, I'm very careful when it comes to crowns and threads, but we will see what they have to say, it would be a shame to fall out with one of my favourite brands over something as petty as this.

From what i could see looking through my loupe it looks as though the screw has indeed sheered

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    It's possible the crew was overtightened during assembly and had already cracked but was just managing to hold together. From what you're saying you've been careful with it, if you were going to be ham-fisted you would've bust it earlier so I`d be happy to rule that out.....but I'm not Omega!

They could fix this at virtually no cost to themselves. The unit cost of the new parts will be v. small and it'll take approx. 30 mins to swap. Ideally they'll take the goodwill approach and do it for free, no-one can prove how it happened and it would be nice if they take you at your word. Sadly, Swiss logic may apply and they'll claim it couldn`t possibly be faulty.

Good luck, I fear you might need it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    It's possible the crew was overtightened during assembly and had already cracked but was just managing to hold together. From what you're saying you've been careful with it, if you were going to be ham-fisted you would've bust it earlier so I`d be happy to rule that out.....but I'm not Omega!

They could fix this at virtually no cost to themselves. The unit cost of the new parts will be v. small and it'll take approx. 30 mins to swap. Ideally they'll take the goodwill approach and do it for free, no-one can prove how it happened and it would be nice if they take you at your word. Sadly, Swiss logic may apply and they'll claim it couldn`t possibly be faulty.

Good luck, I fear you might need it.
    Yeah will just wait and see Paul, I also mentioned it was running about +10 sec per day, so hopefully they will regulate the Watch, I prefer them on the fast side but not that fast

As for the fault with the HEV, I would have left that as is and put a tiny bit of thread lock on the thread and screw the Crown back on, not like will ever use the feature and I plan to keep the Watch so not to fussed about the effect on it's resale value, but that isn't an option with you pointing out the broken part could fall into the movement, so what ever they decide to do they have me by the balls.

I’m fairly optimistic that Omega will just sort it for you. I have had quite a few returns under warranty over the years, and not one query on any watch that was still within the warranty period.

The only exceptions I have read on-line have been where they deem or claim that marking on the watch has been indicative of excessive wear.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m fairly optimistic that Omega will just sort it for you. I have had quite a few returns under warranty over the years, and not one query on any watch that was still within the warranty period.

The only exceptions I have read on-line have been where they deem or claim that marking on the watch has been indicative of excessive wear.
    This is the first time I've made a warranty claim Scott, probably been lucky, but I would say you have had a lot more watches in your time so I suppose it's all relevant

Just advise them that the HEV crown came off, and you are also concerned about the time keeping - I’m sure they will sort it. You could either call them direct or, if it’s handy/local to you, have your AD deal with it. I’ve mostly used the selling AD, all but a couple of times, as I’d bought in the UK, and it was therefore easier for me to send direct then travel or post to the UK.

Master
    Just advise them that the HEV crown came off, and you are also concerned about the time keeping - I’m sure they will sort it. You could either call them direct or, if it’s handy/local to you, have your AD deal with it. I’ve mostly used the selling AD, all but a couple of times, as I’d bought in the UK, and it was therefore easier for me to send direct then travel or post to the UK.
    Took it into the AD today, they said they would call me when they get the Watch back in 4-6 weeks, unless there's a problem like a bill needing agreeing, he didn't think there would be a problem though (touch wood)

Wonder if it's worth calling Omega and explaining things?

At this stage I’d leave it to the AD to sort out for you. That leaves you with options, if you need them.

Master
    At this stage I’d leave it to the AD to sort out for you. That leaves you with options, if you need them.