closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Now TV vs Netflix: Please discuss

Now TV vs Netflix: Please discuss

I've had Netflix for a quarter and find it limited in its choices and new (?) offerings, considering switching to Now TV. Any opinion from users, vouchers, etc. before I give it a try?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I've had Netflix for a quarter and find it limited in its choices and new (?) offerings, considering switching to Now TV. Any opinion from users, vouchers, etc. before I give it a try?
    Do you have sky TV ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    Do you have sky TV ?
    No, but I have an Apple TV that allows me to get Now I believe.

Journeyman

Now TV vs Netflix: Please discuss

Used to have nowtv.
    We found it to be very good for your money and with being able to add things e.g. Sports for any period you like is very good.
    Only reason we aren't using it at the mo is because of a very good sky deal. Once that deal is over we will no doubt go back to nowtv.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've have both for a few years now. The missus likes Now TV, but there's not much on there for me.

Now TV is a bit of a rip-off and not much new or varied content (plus they make you pay 3 times over to get all of the packages). Netflix has more variety, is fairer, and has exclusive content you cannot see elsewhere.

If I only had one it would be Netflix, it just doesn't feel as much like a raw hard rodgering like Sky's attempt at recycling their tv is.

(I should mention I don't care abour nor ever watch sports.)

I have Netflix - I can use the account here or when I’m in Oz, plus both parents, an Ex and a friend can all use my account within my set up - I think it’s great for a hell of a lot less than I was paying Sky.
    It's just a matter of time...

Regarding price, Now with movies only is £9.99 per month, Netflix is £7.99;
    Regarding films, Now has Rogue 1 when Netflix only has the Force Awakens. It also has Logan for example. From the list it seemed to me to have more recent films

I've had NowTV for a couple of years and just switched to Netflix.

Entertainment, Kids and Movies makes NowTV much more expensive than Netflix and bar a couple of films it seems to be pretty limiting. I watch Game of Thrones and Walking Dead but they're both between seasons, so have cancelled it for now.

Netflix seems to have a better interface, is cheaper and to has more shows I'd like to watch - judging by the 'good tv' thread, more content is on Netflix than either Sky or Amazon Prime.

Master
    Have them both and watch them about equally. Benefit of Now over Netflix is the Sky/ Atlantic series such as Game of Thrones and now Wheeler Dealers.

Journeyman
    Nowtv lets you watch a lot of live sky TV as well , most of what on sky movies etc is on there too

Craftsman
    Since ditching Sky (more than a year ago) I now have both NowTV and Netflix, we watch them both about equally and would not like to choose between them as to which I would cancel. I also do not watch sport.

Master
    It’s worthwhile keeping an eye on Argos, they often have discounted now tv passes, you can buy a few and they don’t start until you activate them so you can save a few ££s

http://www.argos.co.uk/search/now-tv/

I have Prime, Now and Netflix. Prime is okay. Now TV also has a really frustrating approach to pulling programmes then adding them back a few months later so if you don't finish a TV series you have to wait even longer. Obv advantage is if you want to watch sport, it offers all the options.

On balance I think Netflix has superior shows, more variety and adds more new content

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    It’s worthwhile keeping an eye on Argos, they often have discounted now tv passes, you can buy a few and they don’t start until you activate them so you can save a few ££s

http://www.argos.co.uk/search/now-tv/
    That’s a good tip Captain, thank you.

Master
    We've got Netflix and Now. However the quality on Now is horrible, like 80's VHS, so I have cancelled it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    We've got Netflix and Now. However the quality on Now is horrible, like 80's VHS, so I have cancelled it.
    Quality of Now for us is excellent. Could be to do with your connection / internet speed / TV

Craftsman
    We had Now TV for ages due to the lack of ability to get Sky TV in our flat at the time.

Found it really good and you can often buy the vouchers very cheaply on eBay. The content is really good, at the time you could only stream Live channels in 1080/Full HD on the Apple TV box but that might have changed.

You can watch on 4 devices in total and 2 at any one time (well you could when I last checked).

Amazon is worth considering too, good original content on there at the moment. Sneaky Pete for one.

Master
    I prefer Netflix for it's 4k content and usually find that content unavailable in the UK, is available in the US or other country if you use a VPN. Just checked and Rogue One is available on Netflix in the USA.

Set your VPN to a US endpoint and log in to Netflix - watch film, job done.

Master
    We have Netflix and the nowtv movie package. If I had to just have one it would be Netflix.

Nowtv movies goes through long periods of having nothing but low budget straight to TV film added. Its good for classic films and independent but some big movies just never seem to make it to the service. Most of all we find its main use is movies for the kids.

Netflix is deceptive. There is a lot of good content on there but the trouble is it can be hard to find. Their rating system is flawed, the preset menus on the main screen are irrelevant a lot of the time and it seems the categorisation of content has been done by my wife (socks in the t-shirt drawer approach). You really have to set up profiles, build lists and sometimes spend a bit of time digging deep and adding stuff to your watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Quality of Now for us is excellent. Could be to do with your connection / internet speed / TV

It tops out in 720p and is often SD - it's inferior in picture to all the other options.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It tops out in 720p and is often SD - it's inferior in picture to all the other options.
    But would you describe it as horrible and equivalent to 80s VHS ?

We've had Netflix for a couple of years and Now TV for a couple of months. I've just cancelled Now TV though.

Netflix seems to have more variety - Now TV is the standard Sky fare, which to be fair has some exclusives on Sky Atlantic, but the films, although recent, are relatively generic.

Netflix is better for TV, if you ignore the Sky Atlantic exclusives, plus is better quality - 4k in some cases. If you pay for the Entertainment, Kids and Movies packages on Now TV, Netflix works out better value.

In summary, I prefer Netflix, mainly for the TV series, and anything that isn't available on there I tend to acquire through other means.

Master
    It is a mystery why it is so bad for us. We have Talktalk fast fibre min 25 Mbs, usually but not always 6 max other devices, the Netflix quality is excellent and the telly is a recent Sony.

I've just checked Sky news and BBC news through the box and the quality is fine, Utoob as well the only thing that is bad is the fillums either live or store.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 19th January 2018 at 17:02. Reason: update

Well I have a specific issue in that my main TV is a decent UHD - so SD does look pretty poor and streamed SD can look worse I wouldn't pay for a service that wasn't 720p and up.

We have both and use both equally.
    I find that Now TV buffers a fair bit when accessed from the Smart TV Hub ( Samsung ) but its usually fine when using the standalone Now TV box ( very cheap, Argos )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    That’s a good tip Captain, thank you.
    Pretty much the same thing I do for now tv. There are also plenty of people selling now tv codes on forums that I use so I rarely end up paying more than 50% of the list price for the subscription.