closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats better than a steel Daytona? A GOLD one !!!

Lovely. I had a meeting at work today with a guy who was wearing a nice white faced steel Daytona. He said he bought it new a few years back for just under £7k after being on a waiting list. I said I’ll buy it for £8k and he was a bit taken a back asking me if I was serious. I had to do the right thing and tell him to get onto Google as it might be worth a bit more than that. Anyway, I prefer the yellow gold one as a watch like this deserves to be blingy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    I have a 116500 which is ok but still a bit too heavy for my taste.
    Heavy?!? I’ll see your heavy 116500 and raise you a...

...which weighs 2x a 116500. The surprising weight when you pick it up is one of the things that makes it my favourite watch.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 19th January 2018 at 08:49.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post

...which weighs 2x a 116500. The surprising weight when you pick it up is one of the things that makes it my favourite watch.
    Fab, been looking for one of those recently

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    Fab, been looking for one of those recently
    I genuinely think, if all watch values were reset to £100 tomorrow and you could only have one, this would be my choice above all.

I genuinely think, if all watch values were reset to £100 tomorrow and you could only have one, this would be my choice above all.
    That sounds like the basis for a very interesting thread.

Master

I've only ever tried on the one that did the AD rounds after Basel with no movement, but apparently it is the same or similar weight. It is heavy, but wow what a watch.

Blog Entries
    I also like the bimetal version of these. A neighbour has one with yellow gold and white dial and it looks stunning.

Apprentice

That looks great...

All personal. No right or wrong.

I really like the bi-metal (black or white) and good value. Gold (yellow or white) always looks classy on a leather strap. S/S remains the classic sought after model, although I prefer vintage to ceramic.

One day, yellow gold will make a comeback. It was the status symbol of the '80s, but went out of fashion - and fashion always changes.

It has finally happened - a white gold Daytona several grand cheaper than the SS versions.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/D...27/item/105097

Looks like a bargain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It has finally happened - a white gold Daytona several grand cheaper than the SS versions.

Looks like a bargain.
    Watchfinder and bargain, two words rarely used together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Well they have cocked up before, when did you last see a white gold Daytona on a bracelet for a little over £15k, don't think I have seen one that cheap in recent years.

Master
    Well they have cocked up before, when did you last see a white gold Daytona on a bracelet for a little over £15k, don't think I have seen one that cheap in recent years.
    A recent 16523 springs to mind!

Very, very nice! Love the platinum models from Rolex.

agreed but they have their moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    All personal. No right or wrong.

I really like the bi-metal (black or white) and good value. Gold (yellow or white) always looks classy on a leather strap. S/S remains the classic sought after model, although I prefer vintage to ceramic.

One day, yellow gold will make a comeback. It was the status symbol of the '80s, but went out of fashion - and fashion always changes.
    I'm biased but I have had a few gold watches in the last year so its already made a comeback for me!

Did you you get a FULL bracelet from Watchfinder, i.e. sufficient links to fit 7.5” wrist comfortably ?

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    Just arrived today from Watchfinder........

Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 21st February 2018 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Did you you get a FULL bracelet from Watchfinder, i.e. sufficient links to fit 7.5” wrist comfortably ?
    Good question, yes BUT I had to ask for the links.

Just got a Cartier Santos from them and got the same reply as I did on the Daytona “we didn’t get the full bracelet on this one, people normally keep them”.

I think it’s BS, I think they keep them and make money selling them or use them them to extend a bracelet that has come in genuinely short. Rolex links are not cheap!

Aside from that I can’t fault them thus far. I p/x watches with them and they pay fair prices and they will come down on their asking price.

Master
    Watchfinder has a seller on eBay called watchfindershop where they sell the spare links. They also put on secondhand straps that will have come with watches they bought in, service cases and other things that came with the watches they purchased

Edit - looks like this is their main presence on eBay, and I suppose the links and straps come up first when you look at their items for sale if sorted on price low to high
    Last edited by mtagrant; 22nd February 2018 at 00:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    Good question, yes BUT I had to ask for the links.

Just got a Cartier Santos from them and got the same reply as I did on the Daytona “we didn’t get the full bracelet on this one, people normally keep them”.

I think it’s BS, I think they keep them and make money selling them....
    Lots of Cartier Santos links on eBay for sale by watchfindershop

Yes the deliberate removal of links particularly on PM watch bracelets by Watchfinder and then selling them on their Ebay shop is reprehensible.

Master
    These are some of the reasons I never buy from Watchfinder. If they seek profit by removing links and the proper boxes, what else do you think they do that we can't see?

Craftsman
    I love the gold Daytona it looks fantastic.

Why buy white gold ? You may as well just get steel for the looks, all the oh you can tell is cobblers. Yellow gold if you are going gold.

Wow! Simply stunning!

I think my either my skinny arm would soon drop off or I’d end up with a left bicep like bluto!

Thumbs up

Looks like a bargain.

No box and papers = not a "bargain" in my world......and it's got the most boring dial for a WG Daytona too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I love the gold Daytona it looks fantastic.

Why buy white gold ? You may as well just get steel for the looks, all the oh you can tell is cobblers. Yellow gold if you are going gold.
    You either get it or you don't. It's not about showing off. You don't want white gold.....fine. Who cares. Presumably platinum is wrong because it too isn't all shiny and obvious.
    Incidentally, I've owned both yellow and white gold watches . It depends....
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd February 2018 at 11:55.

Craftsman
    Yes, platinum pointless as well.

It is like getting a BMW and dressing it up as a Ford.

Although if white gold is cheaper than SS as Wallasey Runner says then white gold it is!

To you perhaps.

it’s called choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Yes, platinum pointless as well.

It is like getting a BMW and dressing it up as a Ford.

Although if white gold is cheaper than SS as Wallasey Runner says then white gold it is!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Yes, quite, no one has to buy anything. Although the idea that white gold is inferior is weird. It's just one option. Everyone goes with what they like.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd February 2018 at 16:42.

I love the strength of opinions which come out over threads centered around colours and metals...

I think the blingy yellow gold looks good as an item in itself. I'm not sure it would look good on my slim white wrists, though I imagine it suits a slightly overweight Cuban perfectly. I'll start eating more and get myself out on the sun and see if I can get the confidence up to wear one.

Master
    I do agree that yellow gold tends to look more attractive on a tanned/dark wrist, ideally in strong sunlight. Matched with a beach shirt in Miami. That sort of thing.
    The other obvious variable is whether you have a bracelet or strap. Even in Northern Europe I think this sort of combo works fine. Not a Daytona, but it will have to do.

But with the extra mass and visibility of a bracelet, the balance changes, for my tastes anyway.

Another point here is that the dark blue dial is not available on the steel Daytona. So if you want that dial without being too 'obvious', then white gold it has to be. Horses for courses.
    Incidentally, I have just sold that Daytona. Probably will regret it. Usually do.
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd February 2018 at 17:14.

Question

Beauty that Daytona with the Blue dial....did you sell it here or elsewhere??
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 22nd February 2018 at 20:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Beauty that Daytona with the Blue dial....did you sell it here or elsewhere??
    To a friend.