closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats better than a steel Daytona? A GOLD one !!!

Whats better than a steel Daytona? A GOLD one !!!

Just arrived today from Watchfinder, I did a p/x with them and got a brilliant deal on the p/x and managed to get a small £500 discount on the Daytona. Had to chop a lot of watches to get this one but I feel its worth it. I'm now down to just 5 watches, 3 of which were gifts so I would never sell them, at its worst I was probably around 20 watches which in truth wasn't as fun as it should have been. This acquisition definitely falls in the grail category!

I really miss my old steel Daytona but no chance in hell i'm paying double what I paid and so high over list. Got me looking at Daytona's and came to think that for the price of a new steel cermaic Daytona from a grey dealer you could get a used PM one so why not?

If you've ever had or worn a gold watch you will know they just feel great and a bit special due to the weight. Downside is they mark up very easily and the metal is a bit softer. The dial on this one at a stretch could be called a Paul Newman dial but in light regard, I really love the combo and it almost feels a but vintage in look. The red accents are a nice touch on the lettering and seconds hand. It is around 6 years old and it great condition, quite a few swirlies but i'm not one for polishing watches up.

40mm Rolex wears great and as large as I would want to go.

Excuse the pictures as they are poor and the watch was grubby at the time, its since had a good bath to clean it up.

Hope you enjoyed the quick read.

Cheers

James

Untitled by Watch Bum, on Flickr

Craftsman
    I'm not a Daytona man (which is good, because I couldn't afford to be) but I definitely see the sense in doing what you did. Furthermore, most steel Daytonas, including the ceramics, have always struck me as a bit sterile but this one just works - it's vibrant, it's bold, and it really works well in YG, which I find a lot of watches don't necessarily do.

Craftsman
    Wow, congrats. I've been keeping an eye on zenith Daytonas recently.
    The SS ones are crazy money but the bi metal 16523 is tempting, or 16518 at a stretch.

Craftsman
    Very nice.
    Glad you're pleased with it.

Master
    That's excellent mate. Congratulations. I've never owned a gold watch before but I see the appeal

Very nice.
    It's just a matter of time...

That looks beautiful. What a great buy!

Master
    Great looking watch - congrats :-)

Now that’s flash !! I don’t think I could pull it off but your pricing logic stands up. Enjoy !!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yes, a gold Daytona is nicer, to me , than the steel, fine as that is. Daft as it seems, the extra heft feels really good. Makes no sense, but many wearers seem to feel the same.
    Your yellow gold version is very tasty. I like those black sub dials. Congratulations. And I agree that these days, with the wildly inflated prices of the steel versions, a used gold Daytona becomes quite tempting.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th January 2018 at 20:24.

Journeyman
    I could never pull off gold, glad you can.

It’s certainly a beautiful looking piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    That’s lovely. The panda subdials are some of the nicest Daytonas

Very nice indeed. Congratulations.

Craftsman
    Lovely purchase. With the premium attached to steel models verging on the ridiculous, the precious metal models are a lot more attractive. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, just waiting for a lottery win.

Great watch lovely subdials , with the way ss ceramic is going there has to be value in these

Congratulations, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Just beautiful!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Glad you are pleased. Personally I am not a fan of gold watches but enjoy.

Craftsman
    Cracking logic, glad you are pleased with it. Never tried a gold watch, maybe I should ?

Bling-tastic! Love it!

Craftsman
    That is very very smart, I too have a craving for a gold watch but I'm not sure I could pull it off.

If you're going to do gold rolex then do it properly! Gold is called gold for a reason - it's gold!

Master
    Love it. Congratulations. I love that dial and it’s slightly “off” colour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    If you're going to do gold rolex then do it properly! Gold is called gold for a reason - it's gold!
    It strikes me that which colour of gold 'works' can depend on things like skin tone and whether it is a sunny day. As with all designs, personal choice is everything. But I always seem to enjoy black sub-dials. Which is why I like this yellow gold design.
    With ceramic Daytonas going for £15,000, gold versions now seem less prohibitive. And there is a huge variety out there....
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th January 2018 at 22:24.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    It strikes me that which colour of gold 'works' can depend on things like skin tone and whether it is a sunny day. As with all designs, personal choice is everything. But I always seem to enjoy black sub-dials. Which is why I like this yellow gold design.
    With ceramic Daytonas going for £15,000, gold versions now seem less prohibitive. And there is a huge variety out there....
    To say to me "which colour of gold works." Is the same as saying "which colour of white" or "which colour of silver". The colour of gold is gold until corrupted with another metal.

If you want a heavy silver metal, get silver - or platinum - if you can afford it.

Congratulations - beautiful watch.

Master
    [QUOTE=Umbongo;4635406]To say to me "which colour of gold works." Is the same as saying "which colour of white" or "which colour of silver". The colour of gold is gold until corrupted with another metal.
    If you want a heavy silver metal, get silver - or platinum - if you can afford it.''(Quote)

Pathetic trolling.
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th January 2018 at 22:54.

[QUOTE=paskinner;4635411]
    To say to me "which colour of gold works." Is the same as saying "which colour of white" or "which colour of silver". The colour of gold is gold until corrupted with another metal.
    If you want a heavy silver metal, get silver - or platinum - if you can afford it.''(Quote)

Pathetic trolling. Since when is it up to you what choices people make.
    I don't think you've read a word I've said with any perspective.

And pathetic use of the T word.

Really.

And if you don't like discussion - stay away.

If you want a heavy silver metal, get silver - or platinum - if you can afford it.
    Actually, the hue and feel of white gold is quite beautiful, and totally different to steel. Obviously you're entitled to any opinion you want, but I found that a little dogmatic.

Very nice. The red hands and black sub dials really make all the difference.

Looks cracking that! Can understand why you made the trade, personally not a massive fan of gold watches but have found myself looking at them more and more recently.

Too blingy for my tastes, but I can see your logic and glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Actually, the hue and feel of white gold is quite beautiful, and totally different to steel. Obviously you're entitled to any opinion you want, but I found that a little dogmatic.
    Thanks for granting me that entitlement Tony!

"Totally different" is a strong description - as it completely excludes any similarity (white metal, brushed/polished finish, and any possible scope for any disagreement).

That said, l would never throw the T word at you on the basis we disagree. I don't think either of us lurk under that bridge...

Master
    The OP's theme was that a gold Daytona has become a more tempting used buy. As he demonstrated. The same idea could be extended to other gold chronos....here is an Omega in yellow gold. Second hand it cost about one third of a recent gold Daytona.

I think the OP would take the point, because he sold it to me. And I love it.
    Daytonas are the best example, but there are comparative bargains out there, because gold watches depreciate so swiftly.

Thank you for all the positive comments.

It’s been a while since a watch has brought back that excitement that you get early on in this hobby.

It really is a stunning watch, yes it’s a Rolex, a Daytona but the gold just makes it extra special.

I get the comments from people who think it may be too much, about 2 years back I started with a white gold Day Date as I didn’t want to be too flashy but it gave me the first experience of an all gold watch, and it led to this.

Cheers

James

The OP's theme was that a gold Daytona has become a more tempting used buy. As he demonstrated. The same idea could be extended to other gold chronos....here is an Omega in yellow gold. Second hand it cost about one third of a recent gold Daytona.

I think the OP would take the point, because he sold it to me. And I love it.
    Daytonas are the best example, but there are comparative bargains out there, because gold watches depreciate so swiftly.

Glad you’re still enjoying it 👍 one of the best dials I have ever seen. That watch is a ‘relative’ bargain.

Lovely watch James. I'm often tempted to trade in my SS Daytona and another to get a WG Racing dial Daytona. Maybe one day.

Enjoy

Also on a side note, I have had a couple of very good value (IMO) buys from Watchfinder. They seem to have a lot of way overpriced items and then out of the blue they have an almost too good to be true deal pop up that just had to be got!?! Its certainly always worth a check.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 18th January 2018 at 06:37.

Craftsman
    I'm really not a gold watch fan, not even bi metal, but that is stunning!

Maybe a stupid question, but is it noticeable how easy it is to mark compared to a steel watch?

Master
    Lovely that James, I hope you properly bond with it. From someone who has recently bought there first bi metal watch, something I never thought I would like, I can see the attraction.
    Maybe it's an age thing

Craftsman
    Very nice - not a fan of Daytona's - but like it in gold... well done!

I love that watch so much. I've tried Daytonas and they've always felt a bit undersized and underweight for me, however when I tried on the gold above it was a different beast. Not sure I could get away with gold gold but never say never and the OP's does look great. I tried this one on last week, and as said above they are now very tempting.

]

A bit of a dull subject detour but the only thing putting me off of trying to make this happen is the insurance thing. Do you need to insure for new value, in which case 25k plus will be an expensive extra policy. Or can you insure for say 15k replacement value.

Master
    One of the key things that makes a gold Daytona 'a different beast' is the added weight. It just gives the 'feel' of a really solid watch. Surprisingly different to the steel version. I know this is irrational, but most people 'get' the difference as soon as they put the gold version on their wrist.
    Yes, it's mechanically just the same watch, but the huge gulf in cost is quickly eroded by depreciation. With gold Daytonas, the second-hand market is your friend....quite the opposite to the steel versions.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th January 2018 at 10:36.

Blog Entries
    I like it. But then I like bimetal Rolex as well. I know they don’t fit the forum favourite ‘steel sports’ type but hey nothing wrong with being different!
    Nice one, I’d buy one over the ripoff steel prices anyway.

Craftsman
    Very nice watch.

Craftsman
    Looks well, nice purchase.
    I've tried a couple on over the years but just look too small on wrist.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Nicely done James, I made the same leap some time ago, you'd have to be mad to pay 15k for a SS Ceramic Daytona in my opinion when you can get a Gold one for not much more

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Nicely done James, I made the same leap some time ago, you'd have to be mad to pay 15k for a SS Ceramic Daytona in my opinion when you can get a Gold one for not much more

Do love that one!

Love it!!

Good on you James, I wish I'd had the guts to go Yellow Gold sometimes....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    One of the key things that makes a gold Daytona 'a different beast' is the added weight. It just gives the 'feel' of a really solid watch. Surprisingly different to the steel version. I know this is irrational, but most people 'get' the difference as soon as they put the gold version on their wrist.
    Yes, it's mechanically just the same watch, but the huge gulf in cost is quickly eroded by depreciation. With gold Daytonas, the second-hand market is your friend....quite the opposite to the steel versions.

To me gold daytonas on bracelet are too heavy to the point of being uncomfortable.

I had a white gold daytona on strap for a while which was a bit better on that front but it was not very well balanced (head heavy).

I have a 116500 which is ok but still a bit too heavy for my taste.

That's why i like vintage s/s best: you forget they are there. And you are not so paranoid to knock them on something.

That's saucy James!

Like that a lot.
    Cheers,
    Neil.