closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New tyres needed for Merc SL

Master

New tyres needed for Merc SL

Hi

Need some new tyres for the SL500 as one of the rears went today.

Currently on Pirelli PZero all round but want to change the rears to something else as find the Pirellis to be quite hard and unforgiving. The fronts are still in very good condition so only looking to replace the rears at the moment.

Looking at Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric F2's currently. Size is 285/35/R18 so that limits some of the options. They're about £165 each on Blackcircles.

Anyone got any views/opinions/recommendations?

I've asked on a Merc forum that I use but knowing there are some motor fans on here I thought I'd see what you guys thought as well.

Cheers

I think you've made the right choice already. Good value for that size and excellent wet grip (rated A), so should be softer and more forgiving than you're used to.

£147.50 from Camskill.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I think you've made the right choice already. Good value for that size and excellent wet grip (rated A), so should be softer and more forgiving than you're used to.

£147.50 from Camskill.
    Thanks. I saw the price with Camskills but then I'd have to find someone to fit them as well.

I’d go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, they’re a better tyre.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where in London are you based?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Where in London are you based?
    I'm not! Moved a long while back and am in Berkshire now.

Craftsman
    I've Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s on my GTi and I love them. I'm just about to order 4 new ones actually. They're very grippy, great in the wet with very little road noise. The side walls aren't too hard and I never experience any crashiness from them. One of my favourite features is the amount of rim protection they offer, they've saved my wheels many times - beware that the newer Asymmetric 3s are quite poor in this area.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    I've Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s on my GTi and I love them. I'm just about to order 4 new ones actually. They're very grippy, great in the wet with very little road noise. The side walls aren't too hard and I never experience any crashiness from them. One of my favourite features is the amount of rim protection they offer, they've saved my wheels many times - beware that the newer Asymmetric 3s are quite poor in this area.
    Thanks. Ordered a set for the rears today, hopefully get them fitted on Saturday. How are they over bumps and potholes in the GTI?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks. Ordered a set for the rears today, hopefully get them fitted on Saturday. How are they over bumps and potholes in the GTI?
    Excellent.

For a somewhat high performance tyre like this, it offers super comfort and quietness in my view. In the past I've had Pilot Sports and Sport Contacts (in this category of tyre), both excellent but I prefer the Goodyears, hence me buying another new set today, they're so well rounded.

The only quibble I have with them is wear rate, which I've found to be a little bit higher than other brands I've had. I got 25k miles from the front and 35k from the rears. Depending on your driving style you could probably do a lot better. It's the price you pay for having a softer compound.
    Last edited by ronnie3585; 18th January 2018 at 16:34.

Master
    Is this thread really to highlight you have an SL500? #jealousEVowner

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Is this thread really to highlight you have an SL500? #jealousEVowner
    No, but now you mention it I have to post an image of said SL500....

Craftsman
    Very nice, love those AMG wheels.