closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wine

Master

Wine

I have recently struck up a real interest in good wine (even done the easy level of WSET exam). I want to strike up relationships with wine merchant. Does anybody have good knowledge in this area? Thinking justerini, goedhuis, berry brothers, uncorked, the wine society. Thoughts on pro and cons, value for money, free events and tasting, storage options, range of en primeur selection?

Cheers

All of the above are good as are Lay & Wheeler, Majestic and of course the on line guys like Tesco wine, Waitrose, the above two again and Laithwaites.

What I have found over the years is buy from different sources and when the deals are on, my man Mark at Laithwaites rings me whenever they have Penfolds on offer. These guys soon get to know what you like and I don't mind them contacting me, I will buy when the offers are around or something extremely limited is being released and it is now or never. As an example Berry Bros got 45 cases of Penfolds Bin 389 in October and it usually sells within a couple of days and then that is it for 12 months, so I bagged 6 cases whilst I had the chance, but you don't really get discounts doing that.

I have never bothered with these mixed cases promotions, I know what wines I like and I buy them when they are on offer, sometimes 25% off, sometimes more rather than when I need them. In all honesty I never need them as I usually have a stock of between 150 and 200 bottles.

I tend to opt for home delivery so don't mess around with bonded storage although stuff like the Penfolds is often bought pre-delivery. They call en-premier, but it isn't in the same sense as Bordeaux wines being bottled two years later, it's just a case of them selling a few months before the stock arrives, in my case from Adelaide.

Should this be in G&D?
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 17th January 2018 at 18:51.

Blog Entries
    I wine about the price of modern watches these days (donning my flame retardant jacket)...

M

Master
    Recommend Wine Society. Sure there's another thread on here about it (G&D?) if you do a search.

Craftsman
    If you want to try really high end search Vingenius Consulting

Master
    Took some bottle to start this thread....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

One good feature of the Wine Society - is the way they deal with En Primeur offers.

On an over-subscribed year, with other vintners - you can only go for cases you can pay for (i.e - if you try to cover your bases by subscribing to too many cases in the expectation that you only get 2 or 3 - you can get caught out with having to pay for 6 (eg)- if you actually get allocated most or all of your 'choice'

With Wine Society - you can 'load' your list and if you get allocated 6 cases but only want 3 (A B and C) - then you can simply pick the three.

Downside to Wine Society - is that En Primeur wines in reserve is not "in bond'

Master
    Cheers guys, think I will try multiple and see how it goes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would recommend the wine advisors at Laithwaites. They are all very helpful, get to know what you like and you can get some good offers. Found the customer service to always be exceptional

Expected a thread about watches with 'wine' coloured dials.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.