closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko mm300 reunited, a nice little story.

Master

Seiko mm300 reunited, a nice little story.

So a few years back I had a nice little collection of Seiko's; an MM300, sbbn015 tuna, black Sumo, UFO, 6309, 7a28's, etc etc. Stupidly over the years I let them go to fund the usual Swiss makes.

Over the last year or so I've been trying to build a small Seiko collection up again as and when I could afford to purchase. The idea being not to flip one to be able to purchase another as I know from experience I'd regret it later down the line, especially when they rise in value and become hard to source.
    Looking for, reading up on and buying these Seiko's has put the fun back in to it for me, it's what got me into it in the first place. Having just one high value Swiss diver and no other watches kind of killed the enjoyment for me, I still love that watch but just wear it a lot less now.

Now, on the back of my wtb, a very kind long standing member on here offered me his mm300. It arrived this morning and it's as beautiful as I remember, it was 2011 when I last owned one.

Upon turning the watch over I thought I recognise that serial number (I hadnt asked for the serial number/case back pic as I had 100% trust in the seller), so I quickly checked my photobucket and yes it is the exact same mm300 that I owned nearly 7 years ago!!

I assume the beautiful little thing has just been whoring it's self round the forum waiting for me to take it back :-) for the last 7 years.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with it and glad to have one back on the wrist, there is something special about these. I also prefer the sbdx001 to the 017, the lume is a much nicer creamy colour and it hasn't got the daft etched crown. It's a 2001 watch and is in excellent condition to say how old it is, and bar a few tiny marks looks the same as it did 7 years ago.
    When I had it last time there was some paperwork for when it went back to Seiko in February 2011 for service/new crown, it looks like the paperwork has gone missing at some point though.

Anyway thanks for looking, that is all.

Some hastily taken photos:

Last edited by j4ckal; 17th January 2018 at 16:35.

Journeyman
    Nice story. Glad you’re reunited.

Have to say, this looks lovely. I’m already Googling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great that. What are the chances of getting the exact same watch back 7 years later!

That's a great story .. I bet you were over the moon when you checked the numbers

Nice to see you two back together! :)

Master
    Well done mate. I too let one go years ago to scratch a high end Swiss watch itch. Several years later I have one again and I'm never letting it go

Master
    Cool story. Life is strange.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Cheers. Everybody loves a, ahem, 'happy ending'.

Original post here when I first received it;
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=mm300
    And sales post here, but can't remember whom I sold it to(edit, was 41northpole who sold it in March 2016);
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=mm300
    Last edited by j4ckal; 17th January 2018 at 17:13.

Ha! Keep that saucy minx in check this time! Lovely watch and it's good getting them back again, I got one my Seiko divers back recently too :-)

That's a very happy ending and it looks a cracking example. Did the lume on these ever change or do they all go a creamy colour over time?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Very nice story and well done.

Master
    Great story and a happy ending, congratulations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    That's a very happy ending and it looks a cracking example. Did the lume on these ever change or do they all go a creamy colour over time?

I believe one of the changes when it went to the newer sbdx017 model was they used the newer lume (don't know the name). The same as what's on the new tunas and I think my sbdc053 (62mas, re-issue, the cheap one), it's supposed to last much longer but has a greenish appance when not charged/in natural light.

They also added the prospex etching to the crown, diashield and some manufacturing improvements for the movement I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    I believe one of the changes when it went to the newer sbdx017 model was they used the newer lume (don't know the name). The same as what's on the new tunas and I think my sbdc053 (62mas, re-issue, the cheap one), it's supposed to last much longer but has a greenish appance when not charged/in natural light.

They also added the prospex etching to the crown, diashield and some manufacturing improvements for the movement I believe.
    Interesting to hear, thanks. I've had and sold two MM300s and know I'll end up with another!
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Wow Carl what a coincidence hey 😉

Looks very nice indeed.

I had that one too

Hope you got it for the same £825 it was sold on here for!

Great story with a very happy ending . A great watch the MM300 , a grail of mine .

Master
    Thanks all.

Anyone know if these early mm300's came with a green tint to the a/r?
    I'm sure they did, or have I made that up?
    Just wondering if this has had a hardlex swap at some point as it's virtually unmarked. Timekeeping good, around +5-6s per day still, assuming this was regulated when it was serviced.