closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch choice help please - Must be from Goldsmiths ... Leaning towards a Rado

Watch choice help please - Must be from Goldsmiths ... Leaning towards a Rado

Hi guys

I had a decent amount of Tescos Clubcard points that I have converted on to a Goldsmiths voucher on a 3:1 ratio leaving me with a £1,450 credit that I can use on anything but a Rolex.

I have a selection of Breitlings, Raymond Weils, Longines and Seikos amongst others with a variety of styles and colours covere.

I am leaning towards this Rado, its the 45mm Rado HyperChrome Captain Cook on the Blue Nylon Deployment, I don't have a blue watch and this is ticking a lot of boxes for me, size wise its not an issue as I like a little over sizing, often have a G Shock on but am not one for the blingier watches so always prefer brushed steel or Ti cases ....

Happy to hear any other views ? Not worried about depreciation as I have never sold a watch but I know you guys know your onions so thought I'd seek out some advice, I do know the 37mm is a truer reflection of the original but having tried it on it's a tad too small, too much bezel, not enough dial although the domes crystal is awesome ....

All opinions greatly welcomed and thanks in advance :)

I have been looking out for one of these in the shops but I have yet to see one.

I had not realised it had a titanium case, that is a big positive in my opinion.

I really like the look and proportions of this watch, I think if I had vouchers, I would be seriously considering getting one.

It looks ace.

I think that looks gorgeous, the only problem (for me) would be that I feel 45mm is too big for me.
    Dave

ps - it is also very nicely photographed there

Master
    It sounds like this watch has really caught your attention, if it’s colour size and wrist presence suits you then go with it.

Given you keep your watches you need to ensure you buy what you like, not the most logical or clinical choice. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

Steve

Master
    Not my cup of tea but if you like it, go for it!

My other suggestion would probably be this (assuming they can be used on sale items)

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Oris-Div...ch/p/17600895/. Blue face too

Could also get something else with the spare £300 e.g.

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Montblan...45&fo_s=slisys

Or another watch of course...

Journeyman
    Sounds like the Rado ticks all the boxes for you. If you’re happy with it I’d say go for it.

If I were in that position I’d consider a Nomos Tangente, Oris Diver, or maybe try to stretch to a Black Bay 41 on leather.

Spending other people’s money is easy though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It looks a bit too close to "Captain Cock" on first glance for my comfort

I really like the Captain Cook mate, if you can handle the size, go for it :)

Again, I think that Rado is very large.

I would be on the Oris path...65 or a ProPilot...

Craftsman
    The Rado is a great looking watch and seems pretty decent value for a Ti Diver. If I was in your position I'd have a look at it side by side with an Eterna Super Kontiki 1973. It's another retro Diver that you won't see often. http://goldsmiths.co.uk/Eterna-Super...ch/p/17930317/

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A link offered to a review of both 37 and 45 models:https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rado-ca...ok-watch-2017/
    The 45 does seem seriously big,54mm lug to lug,but if the OP can wear it then go for it.
    It's different and he's got money(vouchers?) burning a hole in his pocket - plus he likes it and he's tried it on.
    What's not to like?

I’ve had 45mm+ watches previously and they were challenging to wear, especially with a shirt sleeve. It’s a nice design though I think it would look better without the model name on the dial. I prefer the Oris linked to above.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Longines 1945 heritage?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    In Reading goldsmiths there’s a black Breitling super ocean heritage on rubber £1999 has £2999 that’s my pick. If you can stretch and buy sale items with Tesco boost.

Last edited by Dandandanman; 17th January 2018 at 00:44.

Journeyman
    You’ve picked out a beautiful example and kudos on collecting so many Tesco points !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    In Reading goldsmiths there’s a black Breitling super ocean heritage on rubber £1999 has £2999 that’s my pick. If you can stretch and buy sale items with Tesco boost.

Great heads up there. Something in a different league for not a whole lot more.

I prefer the smaller Cook. Classier and more wearable and versatile.
    Last edited by stefmcd; 17th January 2018 at 12:00.

Gents

Some really great suggestions there,

The blue dialled Oris is nice but the black bezel jars with me so thats a no ....

A few of the others are decent shouts but not quite as appealing to me as the Rado, but I guess that's what this was about, making me look at others opinions ...

The Breitling is nice, I saw that in he windo but Sale stuff is out of bounds when using the voucher and I already have a SuperOcean Heritage, non chrono in black so that box is ticked ...

I hear what has been said about the 37mm Captain Cook being classier and from a purely aesthetic angle is a better looking watch but it doesn't wear well with me hence the larger one being in play....

Once again huge thanks

Dibs

Journeyman
    I like the captain cook, As good a choice i think, but I would look at the longine big eye chrono

Scottie

Gents

Thanks for all the input, to bring this full circle I have just got back from a nice cup of tea and a chat with Max at Goldsmiths in Reading and now have my Rado, it really is a lovely thing, and once again, thanks for the input, some great suggestions and who knows, may acquire oneor two of those too over time ....

Dibs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Gents

Thanks for all the input, to bring this full circle I have just got back from a nice cup of tea and a chat with Max at Goldsmiths in Reading and now have my Rado, it really is a lovely thing, and once again, thanks for the input, some great suggestions and who knows, may acquire oneor two of those too over time ....

Dibs
    Wrist shot, please.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DibbleCorse View Post
    Gents

Dibs
    Excellent choice! I too would love to see a wrist shot, along with your wrist measurement for comparison purposes :)

I’m very taken with the 45mm Captain Cook, but have yet to see one to try on. I’d be very interested in your impressions...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I’m very taken with the 45mm Captain Cook, but have yet to see one to try on. I’d be very interested in your impressions...

Simon

Simon

Not sure if you work in London, I'm in the City 1-2 days a week near Moorgate, happy to wear it in one day for you to take a closer look at ....

Great choice , Didn't know Rado made divers of this style (recent change ?)