closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2018

It seems as if Verstappen is living up to Pirelli's old advertising slogan...

I do hope that he matures and that Vettel's considered and measured words ring a little bell for him. You have to hand it to both the Dutchman and the German in the way that they handled their coming together; Max approaching Seb straight after the race was the first good move, being honest and sincere the second, and Seb's response the third. The Ferrari driver did say that his aim for this year is to, in basic terms, be more mentally stable and it appears to be the way in this instance. Of course, if this was towards the end of the season and the points gap was tight perhaps Seb wouldn't have been so understanding.

Pure speculation on my part here - I wonder how RB are managing Verstappen internally? They've committed to him by means of his current contract so you'd think that this would relieve any pressure that Verstappen may have been feeling, however he appears to be driving like someone fighting for his seat and not quite being able to deal with it. Team Principal Helmut Marko isn't known for being shy with his opinions when things aren't going as well as they might and RB/TR have been ruthless in the past when it comes to axing drivers, despite his contract maybe he's not getting the personal support he needs. Maybe he's getting, in private, a dressing down when he actually needs an arm around his shoulder. As I said, pure speculation on my part, and I'm certainly not suggesting that he'll be dropped by RB any time soon - he doesn't deserve it, for a start.

He showed a level of maturity when Hamilton called him a "d!ckhe@d" in Bahrain and then again with Seb in China, just not on the circuit where it's most needed.
    Last edited by CardShark; 15th April 2018 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    And how many wins has Kimi had since his return to an even better team than the RB team in 2014? Oh that’s right, none.
    Let’s not forget that Max entered F1 at just 17 years of age.
    I’m not saying he’s not without his flaws, all F1 drivers have some, but I absolutely believe that if you put Max in the Ferrari or Mercedes as they are running today, then he would become world champion.
    Team orders might have something to do with that - so not really a fair comparison.

As for Max driving for Ferrari or Mercedes, its a moot point simply because he doesn't, nor does Gasly, Ocon, Perez, etc, etc for that matter.

However I am sure that you are right and that one day once he has grown some hair on his balls, he might become WC, assuming of course he can keep his seat in a car.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

This should please many race fans - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...s-1027456/?s=1

They reference greater downforce and faster lap times due to the change in aero regulations as the reasoning behind this, though out of the three races we've had so far only Australia had a faster race lap than in '17. Every pole lap this season has been faster.

Fastest race times -

2017 Australia - 1:26:538, China 1:35:378, Bahrain 1:32:798
    2018 Australia - 1:25:945, China 1:35:785, Bahrain 1:33:740

Pole times -

2017 Australia - 1:22:188, China 1:31:678, Bahrain 1:28:769
    2018 Australia - 1:21:164, China 1:31:095, Bahrain 1:27:958

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    This should please many race fans - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...s-1027456/?s=1
    Well, no actually as the other side of this coin is that the cars are more difficult to overtake. I´d rather see more of thát.

Until they find an incentive that will force designers into making cars easier to follow/overtake, it won't happen. It's not something you can bring in by technical regs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I was referring to comments about too much lifting and coasting going on at the moment. Tyres and engines will still need to be managed through a race however upping the fuel limit potentially knocks out fuel management.

Of course, everyone will benefit from it so it probably won't make any difference to overtaking, it's not a bad step to take though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Until they find an incentive that will force designers into making cars easier to follow/overtake, it won't happen. It's not something you can bring in by technical regs.
    I have a different opinion.
    Making the cars narrower on less wide rubber so narrower still, with markedly smaller front and especially rear wings will go a long way to easier overtaking.
    But it will make the cars less fast and thus open to slagging F1 for that.
    Imo the rules should also seek to make the cars less fragile, less prone to being cut up on the slightest brush with another.

Allowing more fuel an more parts replacement/develeopment will reduce ´managing´ but it will increase costs and not be as ´green´.
    Imo it would be a good thing to introduce cost reducing/ equalising shared parts ánd allow more replacement/development/fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I have a different opinion.
    Making the cars narrower on less wide rubber so narrower still, with markedly smaller front and especially rear wings will go a long way to easier overtaking.
    But it will make the cars less fast and thus open to slagging F1 for that.
    Imo the rules should also seek to make the cars less fragile, less prone to being cut up on the slightest brush with another.

Allowing more fuel an more parts replacement/develeopment will reduce ´managing´ but it will increase costs and not be as ´green´.
    Imo it would be a good thing to introduce cost reducing/ equalising shared parts ánd allow more replacement/development/fuel.
    Wouldn't make a difference. Think back to 20yrs ago. The aero was way less sophisticated than today, and the same problems existed. They will always seek to build the quickest car within the regs, and the difference between cars (in terms of pace) is so slight that overtaking immediate competition is bloody difficult.

There's no technical regulation that will help, the incentive will still be to produce the quickest car, everything else comes a distant second. Unless you force them to overtake, it won't be a priority.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

A couple of interesting articles from Motor Sport, starting with Williams accounts for 2017:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/n...reased-revenue

And some speculation on the "Ricciardo to Ferrari?" rumours:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...et-and-ferrari
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Danny vs Seb - yes please!

They had a single season together in RB, one in their first season with the team replacing Mark Webber and the other in their last before joining Ferrari. The Australian came out on top and by some margin though some would defend Seb saying that he'd won the previous 4 DC's and had a mindset of someone already looking for his next challenge and that he simply wasn't on form.

There's absolutely no way that Danny would join if there was so much as a sniff of a No.2 contract. Could Ferrari manage them as equals? It's easy when one driver clearly has the measure of the other, not so when both are clearly potential DC winners. Ferrari haven't had to manage two No.1s for how long now...?

Have Ferrari been caught with their fingers in the cookie jar? https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...l-extra-paddle

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

You never miss an opportunity to have a dig at Ferrari, do you?

Do you have any comments on FRICS or pressure-harvesting hydraulic heave springs? Both of which were used by Mercedes to attempt to circumvent the rules, and both of which were subsequently proved to be illegal and banned by the FIA.

What's the reference to "fingers in the cookie jar" about? It implies stealing, or pilfering, whereas I suspect that in your own illiterate way you were trying to imply cheating. You really aren't very good at this writing business, are you?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The rotary switch allows selection of biscuit type......amaretti, cantuccini, ricciarelli, pastine all a mandorla. The lever is to enable dispensing of the delicious energy enhancing sweetmeat.

<<<<< Forza Ferrari , yes I'm slightly biased lol

Back to the business in hand, and Formula 1 pays a visit to another classic circuit in a country steeped in motorsport history.

Not this weekend, though, as it's Baku. A circuit distinguished by nothing much, apart from a couple of very long straights and lots of 90-degree corners.

The tyre options are the three softest compounds other than the Hypersoft, and choices are thus:

The F1 Strategy Group met today, with overtaking and pit lane safety on the agenda, though no minutes are available. There is intrigue about the "third paddle" on the rear of one Ferrari steering wheel, and Renault are thought to be blowing their exhaust while the engine is off-throttle, in a similar manner to the way that they used in the V8 era on the Red Bull, to energise the blown rear diffuser. Exhaust outlets are restricted in the turbo/hybrid era, but Renault's exhaust runs at the very limit of the positional restrictions and "energises" the rear wing by blowing under the lower surface - any air blown through the exhaust will increase the efficiency of the rear wing, but the FIA have specifically banned off-throttle blowing. Cyril Abiteboul may have some questions to answer.

In other news, the MotoGP at the Circuit Of The Americas (COTA) showed how bumpy the track surface has become. Last year the track surface had to be "scalped" in several places to reduce the bumps before the Grand Prix, and judging by the conditions over the weekend, it will need to be done again. Either that, or a complete resurface at an estimated cost of $7-8m.

More later.

Quote Originally Posted by tifosotony View Post
    The rotary switch allows selection of biscuit type......amaretti, cantuccini, ricciarelli, pastine all a mandorla. The lever is to enable dispensing of the delicious energy enhancing sweetmeat.

<<<<< Forza Ferrari , yes I'm slightly biased lol
    Of course. And the paddle dispenses espresso.

That's that sorted.

The FIA released the findings of the Formula 1 Strategy Group meeting on the 17th April:

https://www.fia.com/news/positive-st...021-power-unit

The principal change proposed for the power units from 2021 onwards is the removal of the MGU-H, which is effectively an alternator or dynamo type of device to generate electricity from a drive shaft driven by the turbocharger, which can also be used to spin the turbocharger up by using it as an electric motor. Having developed these units, the current engine suppliers are reluctant to dispense with them, as they believe that losing the battery charge from the MGU-H will require a complete redesign of the power unit. While the MGU-H and turbocharger are probably the weakest link in the hybrid power units they have become more reliable, or should that be less unreliable.

The logic behind the removal of the MGU-H is uncertain, and will be debated, and resisted, over the next few weeks and months.

For 2019 the major proposals, still to be ratified by the World Motorsport Council, are the increase in the fuel allowance by a further 5Kg to 110Kg to encourage drivers to press harder for longer, the separation of driver weight and car weight, with the proposal that any ballast required to bring a lighter driver up to the minimum weight should be built into the seat, to eliminate the current practice of placing ballast where it most benefits the performance of the car. Finally, drivers are to wear biometric gloves with transmitters which provide information on a driver's vital signs to trackside medical teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You never miss an opportunity to have a dig at Ferrari, do you?

Do you have any comments on FRICS or pressure-harvesting hydraulic heave springs? Both of which were used by Mercedes to attempt to circumvent the rules, and both of which were subsequently proved to be illegal and banned by the FIA.

What's the reference to "fingers in the cookie jar" about? It implies stealing, or pilfering, whereas I suspect that in your own illiterate way you were trying to imply cheating. You really aren't very good at this writing business, are you?

Wow. Nothing like a bit of objectivity

But IF they are guilty of breaking the rules, then stealing or pilfering POINTs is exactly what they have done.

What I personally found really interesting why the "device" had only been fitted to Seb's car and not Kimi's? Perhaps our independant and unbiased expert will be along soon to impart his wisdom.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I believe I'm correct in stating that this is the first time that Mercedes have had a 3 race streak without a win since the start of the hybrid era, that's a seriously impressive record - doesn't count for much this season though. Mercedes must be desperate for a win in Baku and given Bottas' performance so far if a Merc is going to win it could be either of them.

Random circuit fact - Baku is the lowest circuit on the calendar, the start/finish is 24mtr below sea level.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

What I personally found really interesting why the "device" had only been fitted to Seb's car and not Kimi's? Perhaps our independant and unbiased expert will be along soon to impart his wisdom.
    There's absolutely nothing to suggest that its function is to control something that has been outlawed, and given that the team simply cannot hide the paddle it most probably points to Vettel preferring to have a particular control set up as such as opposed to having a dial/toggle/button instead. It's not unknown for a team's driver paring to have different preferences in steering wheel switch orientation and that's where I'd put my money, either that or it's a new additional control that Vettel had first dibs on.

Craftsman
    I believe it operates the brakes on Raikkonen's car. Kimi just uses the conventional pedal when he wishes to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial View Post
    I believe it operates the brakes on Raikkonen's car. Kimi just uses the conventional pedal when he wishes to slow down.
    That'll be it!

That reminds me of the second brake pedal found in Mika Hakkinen's McLaren years back, that was declared illegal as well...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    That'll be it!

That reminds me of the second brake pedal found in Mika Hakkinen's McLaren years back, that was declared illegal as well...
    Eventually. McLaren used it for basically the entire 1997 season with the FIA's blessing. It was only when the 1998 car started winning and FIAT cried that the FIA changed their mind and decided the system was no longer legal.

It's inconsistency like that which gets people's back up, but fortunately McLaren won the title that year anyway.

Now that is funny

Friedrich Nietzsche

Now that is funny

But i will I'll be interested to hear the actual reason for it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Or it's a new pit release control so he doesn't take out a mechanic still attached the rear of the car....

I watched the Drivers' Press Conference from Baku this afternoon. Three drivers, Daniel Ricciardo sitting between Nico Hulkenberg and Kevin Magnussen.

The Hulk and K-Mag just sat there looking more and more bored as the assembled journalists all wanted to ask Daniel Ricciardo the same question, which was about his next contract, and whether he would be staying at Red Bull or moving to Mercedes or Ferrari.

To his credit, the affable Aussie had the good grace to look embarrassed, and encouraged the journalists to ask the other two drivers some questions. I think that it was one of those press conferences where nobody observing or present felt any the wiser when it finished. A bit of a wasted opportunity, as Hulkenberg and Magnussen have had some "interesting" encounters both on the track and subsequently in the paddock afterwards.

^^^ It always bemuses me when journalists do this.
    They surely know that he isn’t/can’t give anything away.
    The whole press conference becomes a total waste of time

Am i the only one who think Baku is the best Street circuit on the calendar? In fact it's better than some of the actual circuits used.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Am i the only one who think Baku is the best Street circuit on the calendar? In fact it's better than some of the actual circuits used.
    I think it’s a cracking street circuit. Narrow enough in places to keep the drivers on their toes but a very wide very long start/finish straight to help overtakes with DRS and slipstream.

Master
    Looks like it might be an interesting race. Apparently 80Km/h winds forecast for Sat and Sun. Also based on Mark Priestley's latest video the tire situation is fascinating. All of the team have 1x Soft, 1x Super Soft and 7 x Ultra Soft left (apart from Renault who have a 2, 6 split in SS/US. Yet it seems they now want to run S and SS in the race.

How long have Tommy Hilfiger been the clothing sponsor for Mercedes, have I missed something, does this buy Lance Stroll another ride?

Shame that Kimi blew it on his final Q lap.

Tomorrow's race is looking rather tasty, but I fear that safety cars might influence the result. Quite excited

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Kimi is on Ultra soft so it will be interesting to see if he can make an initial place grab at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Kimi is on Ultra soft so it will be interesting to see if he can make an initial place grab at the start.
    Funnily enough I'd just been thinking that it could be interesting to be a fly on the wall at the Ferrari strategy meeting tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Kimi vs Max and or the honey badger into turn one. That could be interesting...

Master
    Just caught up with the qualifying.
    Jesus, Gasly must surely have needed new underpants after that near miss with Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Jesus, Gasly must surely have needed new underpants after that near miss with Hartley
    Watching it on TV was bad enough!
    No wonder he thought that he was about to get airborne.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    How long have Tommy Hilfiger been the clothing sponsor for Mercedes, have I missed something, does this buy Lance Stroll another ride?
    Since the beginning of this year, after their deal with Ferrari expired - they had their logos on the Ferrari mirrors for years.

Baku has several unique challenges, as anybody who watched just about every driver do a u-turn up an escape road on Friday will know. It starts off dusty, with very low grip, and as most of the corners are 90-degrees it's as well that they have so many escape roads. The circuit has a few streets which are usually cobbled, and are covered in tarmac for the occasion, and it's difficult for the teams to find a setup which works - most cars had rear wings which were almost Monza spec, very skinny, with very low-drag. This might minimise the benefits of DRS, but the straights are long enough to keep some of the effect, and slipstreaming will be the order of the day.

As was often the case last season, Mercedes in particular have struggled to keep the tyres in their operating window. The rears tend to overheat because of the traction demands out of slow corners, while the fronts cool off. It's the same problem for everybody, but seems to be exacerbated on the Mercedes.

At least one Safety Car period is guaranteed during the race, I reckon.

Anyone watching the F2, this is how F1 should be

Master
    Now that was eventful! Crashes and safety cars mixed that race right up.

Hamilton's turn to win "jammiest git of the week" it would seem. Great drives from Perez and Leclerc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Hamilton's turn to win "jammiest git of the week" it would seem. Great drives from Perez and Leclerc.

Indeed, however don't forget he lost last year because his head restraint started to come loose. A safety car also cost him the first race.

A very enjoyable race, especially the Red Bull duel, which I thought was going to end in tears, and was proven correct.

I do feel for Botas and I think that LH feels the same. Very subdued on winning.

As for Max he is becoming a very expensive liability, but very entertaining to watch.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I think Mark Hughes is going to need all the space that Motor Sport Magazine can spare him this week.

Master
    Very much enjoyed today's race. Will be interesting to see the outcome of the red bull post mortem.

MV moved twice, it could have been much worse, it's time he had a several race ban.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Anyone watching the F2, this is how F1 should be
    It wasn’t that different in the end...but you’ve got to love Baku

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Very much enjoyed today's race. Will be interesting to see the outcome of the red bull post mortem.

Agreed. Plus don't forget he almost put Danny into the wall earlier in the race.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    +1 and Baku looks like a beautiful city

Craftsman
    Enjoyed watching the race and Lewis got a big dose of good luck but I think he was due a little although I am a fan so may be biased