closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Midlands Clock and Watch Fair Sunday 21st January

Midlands Clock and Watch Fair Sunday 21st January

'Anyone going to the watch fair on Sunday? It's smack in the middle of the country actually on the exit roundabout of the M42 at the National Motorcycle Museum next to NEC. So dead easy to find. It's a good place to meet up, introduce yourselves and have a chat. It's on Sunday 21st January, opens at 9.00am.

Tiger John and I are sharing a table at the fair. There are all kinds of watches for sale at the Watch Fair, but we are concentrating on Seiko, offering for sale all kinds of Seiko goodies that are rarely seen at a UK watch fair. So a couple of 62mas, some 6105's, 6306, 6309's, 7002's a (real) Scubapro 450, some Chrono's, and a few GS and KS, - and lots of others to tempt you all. Come along and say hello.

Craftsman
    I've been interested in going to this before and had forgotten about it to be honest. It's only local for me.

I'll see if I can get permission from the missus to let me be off baby duty. Out of interest, is it a place where you can sell watches to dealers there?

I have been before, its a good fair, there is everything there, the good & the bad!!

I haven't been for a while so I might pop down for an hour on Sunday morning.

Craftsman
    I'll try to pop in also.

Always good for a rummage around. I have spotted one or two real gems there before.

I'll be going for the first time

Master
    Where can you buy tickets?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Where can you buy tickets?

You can pay on the door. It’s only a fiver I think.

Master
    It is actually a sliding scale for entry fees, you pay more the earlier you get there. There are deals done in the car park from about 8am onwards so there is an incentive to go early. I usually rock up at around 11.30am and get in for £2.50 or whatever, by which time no doubt all the interesting stuff has been spirited away. I have bought a few nice things there, though usually the decently priced stuff is sub optimal in some way and will need a bit of intervention. Don't expect cheap deals on the obvious usual suspects necessarily, these are people who understand ebay and other sales avenues, it is the less maintream stuff that is worth looking for.

Master
    Bit of a trek for me, anyone know of anything similar further North ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice

Smile

Can't wait to go , & it's only £2.50 from 11.00 am . Lots of dealers & bits n pieces to look at but don't expect any real bargains as the dealers know the value of what they are selling . Heading down from Chester .

Master
    I have permission from the other half, I'll aim to be.there between 11 and 11.30.

Anyone know if there's parking nearby?

Blog Entries
    They say snow is on the way
    So will have to see if it's white in the morning 😁

Craftsman
    might try and pop over I'm at the furniture show in the nec

Master
    only half from me . might make it over.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I have permission from the other half, I'll aim to be.there between 11 and 11.30.

Anyone know if there's parking nearby?

Free parking starts about 100 yards from the main doors.

Master

Anyone there? Is it any good?
    I was thinking of coming along but feel great, effects of a cold this week!

Master
    I had a wander down, plenty to touch and feel.
    Had a chat with some decent folk, more than One made me feel a bit 'Caveat Emptor'.
    Had a bit of Dinner and went back down and most had packed up !
    Didn't buy owt.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Bit of a trek for me, anyone know of anything similar further North ?

They binned the excellent watch fair that used to run in Chorley (where Camelot used to be) but there are still a couple of passable efforts. I went to the antique and Collectables fair at Macron stadium a couple of Sundays ago and that was worth a look. About 300 stalls and maybe 10% of it was watches, I picked up a couple of interesting Seiko bits but for deeper pockets I saw a lot of Tag, Oris, Longines and even one or two Rolex and Breitling (though I'd never buy them at a place like that)!

Depending where in the North you are it might be worth a look, I spent a happy two hours rummaging through antiques and it was worth the £4 entry fee.

I will probably even take a stall at the next one, so that's one extra watch/jewellery stand for you, but almost all my watches are Japanese.

Master
    Watch fair is back on this Sunday. Whose in?

Craftsman
    I'm out the night before with my brother so both my shameful hangover and myself shall be in attendance. I shall be there as early as my sanity will permit.

First time, and looking forward to it!

I’ll try and get there. Living 10 mins away I don’t have much excuse!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m still thinking of trying to pop in for an hour. Anyone else going?

Master
    I'll probably get there about 11ish. First time for me also.

I'll be the one with the pink rose and silk cravat

Master
    All still plan on going? Had a heavy snow fall overnight. Will be a struggle to get out of the drive but ok from there on.

Here now. Same as you struggled out the side roads then ok.
    Feels like there’s more clock stalls than watches. Depends what your into. Probably 8 - 10 decent ish watch stalls. I think a lot of sellers are late due to snow!

Master
    I went. I often pick something up, there are interesting things if you look hard enough. Got this today, very happy with it, turns out to be running well. 1960-61 Omega Geneve in 9K gold.

Last edited by Padders; 18th March 2018 at 21:42.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I went. I often pick something up her, there are interesting things if you look hard enough. Got this today, very happy with it, turns out to be running well. 1960-61 Omega Geneve in 9K gold.

Nice one, I restored a very smilar one in 18ct rose gold a few years ago. These movements are bomb-proof, definitely built to last.

Paul

Master
    First time at the watch fair, well first time at any watch fair.

Quite surprised at the variance of display style. Some watches neatly placed out in a display case with price tags on each watch, and the other end of the spectrum watches in a box like a jumble sale.

Being new to watches, I was in at the deep end, didn't know what was good from bad, and had no idea if the price indicated was good, bad or indifferent.

I did see some wads of cash being handed over so looks like there was several deals done.

As one trader mentioned it's open to the public but more for traders to do deals, so know what you're buying.

Would I go again, probably if I wanted something on particular and had done my research.

P.s. I did see one trader with a box full of watches and several of them were Breitlings and a Hublot for good measure. I can only assume these were fakes as they were all thrown together or he didn't much care for them!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nice one, I restored a very smilar one in 18ct rose gold a few years ago. These movements are bomb-proof, definitely built to last.

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I am pretty happy with it. I would have preferred 18K but those seem few and far between and of course rather more expensive these days.

First time at the watch fair, well first time at any watch fair.

Quite surprised at the variance of display style. Some watches neatly placed out in a display case with price tags on each watch, and the other end of the spectrum watches in a box like a jumble sale.

Being new to watches, I was in at the deep end, didn't know what was good from bad, and had no idea if the price indicated was good, bad or indifferent.

I did see some wads of cash being handed over so looks like there was several deals done.

As one trader mentioned it's open to the public but more for traders to do deals, so know what you're buying.

Would I go again, probably if I wanted something on particular and had done my research.

P.s. I did see one trader with a box full of watches and several of them were Breitlings and a Hublot for good measure. I can only assume these were fakes as they were all thrown together or he didn't much care for them!

You didn't see it at its manic best, there were at least 15 traders missing due to the weather. I would say an amateur can do OK there too but you do need your wits about you. Most sellers are honest decent people but there are just a few who represent the Del Boy end of the market. The knack is sniffing out which is which. I generally buy something at every one I attend, some great and some not so but I have never had my fingers properly burned there.
    Last edited by Padders; 19th March 2018 at 13:33.