closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-36 or something else / vintage?

Craftsman

PRS-36 or something else / vintage?

For a while now, I've had my eyes open for a watch that will satisfy a couple of criteria (and fill some omissions in my small collection), namely a dress watch that's hand wound. I've got mainly sports watches such as the SMP300 auto (2255.80.00), which are able to look pretty smart, but I fancy something just a little more formal. I'm not looking to spend a vast amount on it, as it probably won't be one that I wear too frequently, so I've set a ceiling of £500.
    I've become just a little bit obsessed with the PRS-36 - that is a lovely watch and pretty much ticks all of my boxes. However, with Eddie taking a break at present, I've had time to mull over a few other options, including using this as an opportunity to plug yet another hole in my collection, that being something a little older like an 1970's Omega Geneve, which can be had for similar money.
    So what do you think? A new watch with a retro theme or an older piece with a bit of pedigree?

PRS-36 or something else / vintage?

Eddie's says Great Britain on it and has a logo that looks like norks. Why hesitate?

It's also a great watch, has lume, versatile (I wear mine on a nato).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bmpf; 15th January 2018 at 17:16.

Craftsman
    If you like the PRS 36 you can now get something which looks very similar from Vacheron for 10k!

But seriously, the PRS would be my vote. Something a bit different

Craftsman
    No surprises that the PRS36 gets my vote. I too pondered over a true vintage piece but for me the Smiths has everything i was looking for in a watch that i can wear every day and is versatile enough to dress up or down. It is a very decent size compared to a true vintage piece and the lume is really good. Here are some more pics that may help...... and yes i do like Omegas too

I have a Services watch with a similar shaped case as the timefactors one, sub second dial etc. Quite small though but they can be found for about £50 or so.

I have seen a few vintage Longines watches that are similar though without the sub second for the £200 mark in steel.

There are lots of cushion cased vintage watches to be had (Rotary, Longines are just a couple I have come across) in 9ct gold with prices ranging from £150 - £3-400

It really all depends on what you want from a watch. You can find a vintage mechanical watch in good condition for under £100 easy and get it serviced.

The good thing about the PRS36 when compared with the vintage watches is that it’s just a little larger (37mm against generally 34mm).
    The extra size makes it more suited to today’s preferences.

Grand Master
    The world of vintage Omegas is becoming more of a minefield as the parts situation really starts to bite.

Frankly, buying a cheap one is getting far too risky. Many of the watches out there have had hard lives and need a lot doing to get them into top condition again.

The 70s models are now starting to fetch strong prices. Personally I would avoid the integral bracelet versions, or be very wary. The one featured in the OP's picture goes nicely on a strap, I have a scruffy gold-plated one in my projects drawer.

I also have a 166.099 Geneve with integral bracelet in pieces on my bench, undergoing full restoration. It's a watch I`ve owned for a year or two, bought as a fixer upper, and it'll be very nice when it's done (just taking a break from doing the case and bracelet refinishing). Haven`t decided whether I`ll keep this one or sell it, I need to wear it a few days to decide which category it'll go in. I`m usually sick of the sight of a watch by the time I finish it, it helps to stick in a box for a few days them come back to it.

These watches really can be moneypits if all the problem bits need replacing. In answer to the OP's question, my heart says buy a vintage Omega but my head says be very careful!

Paul

Craftsman
    Thanks for the photos and advice. The PRS-36 looks tremendous on some of the straps shown, especially the blue. I would dearly love something vintage and think I'll eventually get around to it, but as Paul says, it's a bit of a minefield and I think I need to do some more research into what I want and what constitutes a good'n.
    But in the meantime, I think a PRS-36 would be a very welcome addition to the fleet! Hoping Eddie opens the store up again very soon.
    Thanks again,
    Martin

The 36 is a corker. I have a few vintage Smiths but this can be worn as a more everyday watch. Mine's on a Darlena 1305.

Paul's advice above sounds good. If you want a solid, reliable, retro-styled watch that won't give you headaches, the PRS-36 is hard to beat. I wear mine infrequently as a dress watch on a cordovan strap and despite its relative lack of "pedigree" (whatever that may be) it always feels special.

Craftsman
    With Eddie opening up the web store again, I couldn't resist the lure of the Smiths - arrived today and am very very happy with this - it's everything I wanted and is absolutely stunning in the flesh.

The strap doesn't get universal approval I notice, but I think it's pretty good actually - I do prefer brown straps however, so I'll be on the hunt for a nice one I think.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Paul's advice above sounds good. If you want a solid, reliable, retro-styled watch that won't give you headaches, the PRS-36 is hard to beat. I wear mine infrequently as a dress watch on a cordovan strap and despite its relative lack of "pedigree" (whatever that may be) it always feels special.
    I have to agree. I bought mine last year from Time Factors and am delighted with it. I am now after another cushion case watche and am looking for a Alfred Dunhill cushion case. I`ve seen just two on a website but wasn`t too sure about their condition, can anyone advise please, where else I can look ??.

Journeyman
    Nice I was looking at the 35 as well

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app