closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does anyone use a VPN?

Does anyone use a VPN?

I'm looking for a decent VPN so I can watch a US TV show me and my Daughter like watching together, can anyone recommend a decent VPN which would suffice?

Tried a free one but the video buffers too much.

Cheers

I've tried a few, but I find NordVPN to be the best all round VPN. Search for reviews and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I'm looking for a decent VPN so I can watch a US TV show me and my Daughter like watching together, can anyone recommend a decent VPN which would suffice?

Tried a free one but the video buffers too much.

Cheers

I use Nord, not the cheapest but definitely works and easy to use. Great for when your travelling and need to view TV shows back home.

I tried using free VPN's but generally they are rubbish if you want to view TV. ( and in alot of cases not very secure).

Craftsman
    I have used Express VPN with no problems whatsover, no buffering and it has worked with no issues for the last 3 months i have had it.

If it is relevant, i do not really know but my speeds are, upload 0.9 download 19.1Mbit/s

Master
    I have used Pure and HMA for US. Both worked well.
    Do a trial or check with them directly if what you are after works as some companies block some VPN’s.

Costs please?

I use the Proxyplayer VPN and have used ProtonVPN in the past but only back to the UK. I would definitely try before you buy and would only pay a maximum of a quarter at a time; you may find that whatever service in the States you are accessing may blacklist your IP address at an indeterminate date in the future.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

As mentioned above, the bypassing of location locks cannot be assumed to be permanent; Netflix have managed to detect almost all VPN services that claimed to be able to spoof Netflix...just a handful left now that can, and I wouldn't bet on them lasting long.

Master
    I use Personal Internet Access (PIA) on a range of devices, it’s very good.

Master
    I use Nord and so far very pleased with them. As said using for Netflix is only available from a few VPN providers now so just google for a list. Some providers allow you to purchase a fixed US IP this pretty much gurantees things will work with far less chance of it being blocked unlike the shared IPs. Also many of the working Netflix ones only work for the Netflix app on a device (rather than embeded) due to the way they get around things.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Express VPN - works very well (Netflix) across different zones & devices, and they got very good support. 30days free trial, after that: https://www.expressvpn.com/order .

Master
    I use Simplyexpats (www.simplyexpats.net). no contract, just a monthly payment (about £6).

Craftsman
    expressvpn here...$99 a year

if someone recommends you they get an extra 30 days free

Master
    I use VyprVPN, get it 'free' as part of a package with other services. No complaints - can be anywhere in the world, and pretty quick.

Craftsman
    I have been using expressvpn for about 7 months now and have not had any problems with Netflix USA.

Signed up with expressVPN, worked a treat!

sadly to watch more episodes I need to log in with my tv provider which obviously I can’t do, back to the drawing board!

Craftsman

Does anyone use a VPN?

Another happy ExpressVPN customer. Works very well. Getting up to 40Mbps to my local VPN server.

I have used their support once and it was very prompt and knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Spy; 15th January 2018 at 22:29.

I've been using Astrill now daily for over three years. I have the 5 device package (use five different devices at the same time) at around $150 per year.

I've tried many other free versions but none come close. No surprise there though.

Astrill is probably the most used service out here. Express and betternet are also widely used. The government are allegedly going to have a clampdown on VPN soon as They're upset about people bypassing the Great Firewall.

I find nowadays that my main needs are for a UK IP when I'm out of the country, so while I have a Witopia account I tend to use the (completely free) Open VPN connection I have set up on my home router.
    Wherever I am it looks to the outside world as if I'm on my home network.

Master
    Signed up with expressVPN, worked a treat!

sadly to watch more episodes I need to log in with my tv provider which obviously I can’t do, back to the drawing board!
    As another use of VPN is for downloading such material via Torrents I dare say you will be able to find them with a bit of effort. If you are happy doing that sort of thing of course. The VPN gets you around the DNS blocks and hides your actual IP.

Have you checked if the series is available on something like Now TV? If it is just get a short term pass and binge it.
    Last edited by reecie; 16th January 2018 at 10:13.

Craftsman
    I use VPN Unlimited, not had a problem with them, I got a lifetime deal for $40 using a black friday coupon.
    Very good as they have lots of servers and you can choose your 'country'. Not had a problem with netflix or amazon prime and they also
    have servers that you can use for torrents if that's your thing.

Steve

TunnelBear is good. Never had a problem. Different packages so different prices. Google is your friend

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions, I was looking for a VPN as well

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I've just tested out many Vpn providers, but almost all of them turned out to be extremely slow. My home internet runs at 100 Mbps up and down, but the VPN slows it down to just a few Mbps.
    I read that ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN in Industry but as it has no free trial, I cannot check whether they are telling truth. I'm ready to pay more, but I want to know for sure it will provide truly fast data rates. Just found a decent review on ExpressVPN here , gonna give it a try and keep you posted.
    I have Express VPN and I get around 30Mbs instead of 100Mbs without it on

Craftsman
    I'm looking for a decent VPN so I can watch a US TV show me and my Daughter like watching together....
    What programme are you trying to watch?

Craftsman
    I use ExpressVPN and do not know how to measure speeds.
    I do however watch HD films from the USA while my wife sits with her IPAD doing her own stuff on the internet and it works perfectly. Glad i got it.

I’ve switched entirely to using a DNS proxy service primarily due to VPN speed issues. It’s been seamless.

If you like words, this site has lots and lots about choosing the right VPN for you: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/choos...t-vpn-for-you/

There is also a comparison site: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

I ended up using ProtonVPN

I use Proton VPN too. Moved from TorGuard.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I use NordVPN, no problems streaming HD.

I use ExpressVPN. Very happy, no speed issues. Only weird quirk is sometimes on Instagram I can't like photos but I think that's due to a lot of people being logged in who are using the same access point so have the same IP?

Nord, and when it comes to Netflix, I noticed I can't jump around the locales anymore -- when connected through any country other than my real location, it defaults to the US library.

I've been considering one, and my lad who works in IT uses and recommends CyberGhost, which looks effective, well priced and easy to use. Up to 7 devices and a 45 day money back guarantee if not satisfied, so a decent try before you buy period.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I use Proton VPN too. Moved from TorGuard.
    I use TorGuard. Why the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I use TorGuard. Why the switch?
    2 reasons, first the fact that I use ProtonMail and am quite happy with it, and the fact that someone highlighted what was at best a lack of clarity as to their location and therefore the privacy they were guaranteeing raised questions.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Another vote for ExpressVPN here.Lots of platform support ( OSX, IOS, Firestick / Android etc ) and also router installs which mean I can cover devices that wouldn't normally support a VPN (TV's etc). Support is also very good and they have helped when people like Netflix start to blacklist their IP addresses too.

Some performance overheads, particularly with the OpenVPN router install but overall does work very well