closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Superleague And Rugby League Thread

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

2018 Superleague And Rugby League Thread

Following on from 2017’s thread (http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=Rugby+league)

Season Opener on Thursday 1st February is almost upon us!

I remember typing the following a year ago:-

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Well there's only a few weeks to go until the kick off in Superleague.

My team St Helens play their first match of the season against Leeds on Thursday 9th Feb.

It a make or break season for club legend Keiron Cunningham, it's his 3rd season as coach and for two seasons, 4th in the league and semi final of the challenge cup has been his pinnacle up to yet, which compared to his playing career where he won everything (several times!) and we're up against Leeds who fell spectacularly from grace to be battling in the bottom half of the table last season and have lost their star from last season James Segayaro who's refusing to come back from Australia to fulfil his contract.
    Well, Saints and KC went their seperate ways and it was no shock after our lack of direction at times and poor recruitment but with new coach Justin Holbrook arriving in time for Magic Weekend we looked a different team but still one capable of an amazing kamikaze moment or two, and the innate ability to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat https://youtu.be/OHphpqI3eBI

Or of course, snatch a defeat from the jaws of victory..... https://youtu.be/zyMESo7gYiY

But I’m confident we’ll be there or there abouts again this season, with young talent like Richardson and Grace, old hands like Wilkin and the ever dependable Roby. With some magic from Daily M winner Barba (with a pre season under his belt) I see us in the semis again at season end.

COYS!!!!

Last edited by RJM25R; 15th January 2018 at 13:39.

Master
    Quite confident of Leeds chances again this year. Decent recruitment and retained some good players. McGuire and Burrow departing is a huge change but given time, Myler may be up to it. Sutcliffe at centre is one I'm lookin forward to seeing and I'm very excited to see Jack Walker again.

At Helens are the team I'm wary of. If I was a Wigan fan I don't think I'd be too confident and I think Cas may have gone backwards with their recruitment. Plus they have lost their (in my opinion) best player.

I look forward to seeing Wakefield progress again this year also

Grand Master
    Time flies, can’t believe the new season’s upon us.

Agree with both the previous posts, although I’m more confident about Saints than Leeds. Saints were looking the real deal at the end of last season and I can only see them improving, which is bad news for the rest of us! Leeds seem to be riddled with inconsistency and I don’t see that changing, although they do have a knack of coming good at the business end of the season. I thing Cas will be strong again but I can’t see them being the force they were last year.

Obviously my main concern is for Wakefield. On paper we’ve a significantly stronger squad than last year and I think we’ve recruited wisely. Most of last season’s squad have remained and the players we’ve lost have been replaced by (supposedly) better ones so I’m happy on that score. If our forwards perform to their potential we’ll have a very strong pack and we’ve certainly got plenty of pace in the three-quarters; I think our weakness lies in the half-backs but the same could be said of several other clubs. I think we’ll make the top 8 again but I’m not building my hopes beyond that........time will tell.

I’ve got a season ticket this year, so I’ll be going to all home games........even if we’re doing badly! Hopefully I won’t be disappointed.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Quite confident of Leeds chances again this year. Decent recruitment and retained some good players. McGuire and Burrow departing is a huge change but given time, Myler may be up to it. Sutcliffe at centre is one I'm lookin forward to seeing and I'm very excited to see Jack Walker again.

At Helens are the team I'm wary of. If I was a Wigan fan I don't think I'd be too confident and I think Cas may have gone backwards with their recruitment. Plus they have lost their (in my opinion) best player.

I look forward to seeing Wakefield progress again this year also
    Wigan have had a strange off season with the loss of Mcilorum and Gelling at the last minute.

Rumour has it that they’re right up at the cap and can’t afford anyone else, FPNau’sala is on a big contract and no one will take him off their hands. They’ve resigned Sarginson after he flopped in NRL.

Leeds have that knack, as Paul says, of turning it on at the right point of the season. Cas have had their moment, and I think they’ll struggle.

At the grand final, they were overawed hugely, but they were already Found out at the tail end last season and in the super8’s, they stopped sweeping all before them in the super 8’s and with Hardaker gone for two years........

Grand Master
    My Missis is a Cas fan ( apart from that she’s OK) and if I start dissing Cas too heavily I’ll get a slap

Living in Normanton, I’m surrounded by Cas fans; I felt sorry for them after the Grand Final debacle but as soon as I sobered up I came to my senses!

We haven’t beaten them for a while, I think they’ve won the last 9 encounters and that’s not good. Hopefully we’ll put that to rights this year.

Paul

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    I haven't a clue how we'll go this year (Wire). Hopefully much better than last year in terms of trophies and league position. We have strengthened IMO but have also lost a bit in Sims, Westerman, Gidley, Julien and Savelio being the biggest names to go. Also we get a new coach in Steve Price, with Tony Smith going.

I was sad to see Tony go, but it was clear from his body language towards the end he wasn't happy there, or that's how it seemed to me. Still, a great coach and bloke, he took us to win at Wembley, got us to the GF although we just faded at the last hurdle and also got us the LLS.

Surprised at Micky Mac going from the pies though. I'd have loved him at our place. Wakey have got a very good assistant now in Mick Monas. What a servant he was for us, hard as nails, very tactically aware, and never EVER went backwards.

Cant wait for the season to start now, I'll be working at all our matches home and away as usual.

Stuart

Craftsman
    Same as Cinnabull on The Wire, I am optimistic that the change of coaching staff will bring a fresh start to the team this year, as we did suffer last season.
    Steve Price and Andrew Henderson seem to be making all the right noises and from a few conversations with those close to the club, the feedback on Price is that he is a strong leader. We have a few new recruits to bed in, but I'm hopeful.
    More importantly, I can't wait to get back to coaching our local Under 8's team through third second season together after a storming season last year.
    Good luck everyone,
    Cheers,

Journeyman
    Very difficult to judge how my team (Wigan) will do. For me, Gelling is a bigger loss than Mickey Mac especially with Tommy L switching roles with Powell (who incidentally used to be a half-back).

But the real deciding factor on how well we do will be the style of play, which last year was turgid, albeit injuries were a mitigating factor. Wane says he wants to change styles so who knows how we'll perform.

Its shaping up to be a fascinating season: Leeds / Saints / Hull will be up there. Wakey are improving. Too many changes at Wire to know how good they'll be (a darn site better than last year to be sure and I think they'll be in the mix). Cas perhaps have peaked. Which is to say: I have absolutely no idea who'll come out on top.

Blog Entries
    Not long to go!!!!

Grand Master
    Seems to have come around quick! Trinity are away at Hull KR on Friday, then at home against Salford the week after. Fingers crossed for a good start!

Much prefer Sunday afternoons, night games are too damned cold at this time of year!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Well I’m smug as I can be!

46-6 winners against Cas and I’m not exaggerating when I say we smashed ‘em!

Ben Barba for man of steel, mark my words (injury’s caveat!)

It’s like a reversal of the Cahllenge cup from last season where we didn’t turn up......

COYS!!!!

Ps walmsley has signed a 4yr as well!!!

Grand Master
    Calm down Rick, calm down.........it’s only 1 game!

Nice win for Trinity tonight, 6 tries to 1, that’ll do for me.

Wifey’s gone to bed early sulking.....typical Cas Pussies fan, only sing when they’re winning!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 2nd February 2018 at 23:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Calm down Rick, calm down.........it’s only 1 game!

Nice win for Trinity tonight, 6 tries to 1, that’ll do for me.

Wifey’s gone to bed early sulking.....typical Cas Pussies fan, only sing when they’re winning!

Paul
    We didn’t look that good last season except against Hull at Magic.

Next week against Catalans we’ll See.......

Master
    If barba is up for it Saints have done another Lyon and bagged themselves the best player in the league. The things this guy can do are amazing. He absolutely ripped the NRL apart a few years ago. I hope this is a sign of things to come as there aren't many better players to watch than an on form Ben Barba

For Leeds Jack Walker continues to astonish at just gone 18 before the grand final. Myler looked nicely settled with Moon too.

Ryan Atkins... Wow.

Master
    I think Saints will finish top this year. Cas seem to have gone backwards and can’t surely see Roberts as a fullback... think my team Hull FC will do ok this year. Ellis is a big loss but we have Hadley and Abdul back from loan spells last year and both seem to have improved hugely. Seems we have a decent replacement for Fonua too and if Paea can stay fit he’ll cause a few problems.

Saints, Hull, Wigan, Leeds are the top 4 for me this season.

Master
    Was happy to see the Saints put in a complete performance. Solid up front and finally some X factor with the ball in hand.

Looking forward to a good season across the League

COYS

Blog Entries
    Warrington humbled by Huddersfield last night, whilst Leeds march on.

Tonight Paul’s boys Wakefield entertain Salford at the (stupidly named) Mobile Rocket Arena!

Already winning 6-0, Salford are already tipped to struggle!

We were average at best against Leeds, but lastnight at Hudds we were completely out played and out skilled across the park. Some costly basic errors costing us possession and position. Brough kicked us to death. I just hope we turn it around next week against Widnes.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Just returned from the Trinity match. Only consolation was the fact that we won........just!

No strong urge to watch it again on TV, we were poor. Credit to Salford, they defended well and stuck to their guns, they were unlucky to lose.

Onward and upward, a win’s a win, but the performance wasn’t impressive.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    we have Hadley and Abdul back from loan spells last year and both seem to have improved hugely.
    Hadley was excellent for Wakefield last season both on and off the field. Very popular with both players and supporters, great attitude and committment, shame he didn’t stay with us but that was never on the agenda. A really top guy, I’m sure he’ll do well again at Hull .

Paul

Blog Entries
    Just returned from the Trinity match. Only consolation was the fact that we won........just!

No strong urge to watch it again on TV, we were poor. Credit to Salford, they defended well and stuck to their guns, they were unlucky to lose.

Onward and upward, a win’s a win, but the performance wasn’t impressive.

Paul
    Was a bit blood and thunder, great old fashioned game, hard hitting defenses and Trinity thoroughly deserved their win.

Lui’s try should have been prevented imho.

Grand Master
    Catalans 14. Trinity 16............another hard-fought win by a narrow margin!

Mighty Trin march on..........but it’s hardly convincing. Too many penalties given away again, a good side would’ve punished that . Trinity’s defence was excellent tonight and that’s what won the game, but they made it hard for themselves.

A win’s a win, and Tom Johnstone’s try was a cracker, but we have to improve when we meet the top sides.

Surprised to see the Cas Pussies beat the Codheads........wifey enjoyed that one!

Paul

Master
    Catalans 14. Trinity 16............another hard-fought win by a narrow margin!

Mighty Trin march on..........but it’s hardly convincing. Too many penalties given away again, a good side would’ve punished that . Trinity’s defence was excellent tonight and that’s what won the game, but they made it hard for themselves.

A win’s a win, and Tom Johnstone’s try was a cracker, but we have to improve when we meet the top sides.

Surprised to see the Cas Pussies beat the Codheads........wifey enjoyed that one!

Paul
    Johnstone can fly. Hell of a sight seeing him let loose in space

Blog Entries
    Enjoyable weekend all round! Leeds, hull and Wigan all get beaten proving the point that flying to Australia part way through OUR season to provide them with pre season training is stupid! Some Wigan fans are claiming a moral victory of some kind but I don’t see it?

I damn near froze to death at JSmiths stadium on Friday, but I was happy to see a scrappy but well won game there for the Saints. Barba didn’t like the weather much and he and Grace seemed to struggle under the high ball.

Salford are next for us......

Grand Master
    Agree with you regarding the folly of travelling to Aus and back at this stage of the season.

I was looking forward to our home game with Huddersfield on Friday evening till I saw the weather forecast!

Weather’s coming from the East so there’s a chance the game won’t go ahead........that would suit me fine!

I’ve reached that age where you start to feel the cold more......happens to the best of us!

Blog Entries
    Agree with you regarding the folly of travelling to Aus and back at this stage of the season.

I was looking forward to our home game with Huddersfield on Friday evening till I saw the weather forecast!

Weather’s coming from the East so there’s a chance the game won’t go ahead........that would suit me fine!

I’ve reached that age where you start to feel the cold more......happens to the best of us!
    I was 45 recently and have noticed I feel the cold more, but our more modern ground isn’t too bad. It must be the cladding keeping heat in.

Anyone heard any news on Hardaker?

Its an odd one with Hardaker isnt it. There must be a reason his sentence hasnt been passed, decided or released yet. There’s a twist in the tale somewhere me thinks

I can see Sky switching our game at Hull on friday to be televised if the Wakey ground is unplayable, KC has undersoil heating so that should be on. Not looking forward to the journey over though !!

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull View Post
    Its an odd one with Hardaker isnt it. There must be a reason his sentence hasnt been passed, decided or released yet. There’s a twist in the tale somewhere me thinks

I can see Sky switching our game at Hull on friday to be televised if the Wakey ground is unplayable, KC has undersoil heating so that should be on. Not looking forward to the journey over though !!

Stuart

Wigan bound allegedly?

Wane said: "I don't know all the details of what Zak has done - I would never ask him about that.

"But I know him as a person, I've met him many times and he's a fantastic character.

"There will be more to it but I'm not really interested, I just know Zak is a very good player and we want good people at this club”

Interesting.....

I’m just wondering if he’ll get a ‘normal’ 2 year ban or what? Like I say, theres a reason(s) his sentence hasnt been passed yet. Time will tell I suppose.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I believe it falls into WADA’s jurisdictions doesn’t it?

The RFL should have zero input afaik??

Grand Master
    Surprised Wigan are showing interest. Assuming he gets banned for two years, backdated from the point the club suspended him, he won’t play till 2020. Given his off- field ‘difficulties’ he could be even more of a liability, he’s had a few second chances and spurned them. Can’t dispute his ability, but he’s hardly role model material........unless he can change. 2 years out of the game is going to hurt, he could go either way in my view.

Sad to see gifted individuals who don’t make the most of their talents due to their capacity for self- destruction.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Still no official word about Hardaker punishment, but rumors abound that Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Events is interested in being involved in promotion of the sport.

Looking at his success with darts (and boxing of course but he had an established base already from his father) I don’t see how this could be a bad thing. He has a great knack of talking up good pros and events to make them sound like real battles and making them must-see. Plus it’d pi$$ off the RFL which is as good a reason as any!

On to results and Saints mullered Salford yesterday to top the league but only by points difference to Wakefield who again have had a great start. 4 wins each from 4 games but Saints have a long way to go if we are to emulate our best start to a season when we won the first 12 games (in 96 an 2006 iirc) and went on to win the league in 96 and the premiership and grand final in 2006 so with those omens I hope for more success against Warrington on Friday who’ve lost 3/5of their openers.....

Wigan are 3 wins from 4 sitting in 3rd for now.

Grand Master
    Trinity/Huddersfield game was a dour affair, hardly surprising considering the conditions. The better side won on the day but the score flattered Wakefield in my opinion. Had to defend doggedly for lengthy periods of the game, Huddersfield were the better side for the first 15-20 minutes.

Another sterling performance from David Fifita, and Pauli Pauli's starting to show what he can do. These lads are man-mountains, but the rest of our pack aren`t exactly lightweights either.

4 wins from 4 speaks for itself, but there's much room for improvement with the ball in hand. Hopefully that'll come as the season progresses and the grounds harden.

I`m sure Wigan will provide a stern test in the next match, a win there would be brilliant. We beat them last season, lets hope it happens again.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Saints visited that happy hunting ground of the Halliwell Jones stadium and stuffed Wire last night. Whilst it seemed a fairly even matched game at times, Saints crushed them in the last half hour or so.

It feels like we still have another gear in attack but defensively we put a shift in.

Churlish it may seem in victory but Wires 2nd try shouldn’t have stood with the blatant obstruction of Adam Swift.

The wolves tried to man mark Barba out of the game but just left openings all over the pitch, however fair play to them for making it a contest in the firs 50 minutes or so.

Luke Thompson is fast catching Walmsley as the best forward in the comp, Percivals was great to score his second hat trick and Richardson’s unpredictable play (he doesn’t seem to follow a rigid game plan and is allowed to be a little off the cuff) all combined gave us a real platform to turn the screw after Washington ran out of steam and ideas.

I see Leeds closed the game against Hull on Thursday night by doing just enough. We play them next week in our next game.

Master
    Saints are looking good. How old is Thompson? He looks very dangerous!

Leeds did just about enough, we need men back though as our Bench is very light. We even had young jack walker on the bench who didn't step onto the pitch. It's an odd tactic McDermott has used quite a lot. Last year he said it battle hardens them for when they need to dig deep - can't argue I suppose after last year's result

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Saints are looking good. How old is Thompson? He looks very dangerous!

Leeds did just about enough, we need men back though as our Bench is very light. We even had young jack walker on the bench who didn't step onto the pitch. It's an odd tactic McDermott has used quite a lot. Last year he said it battle hardens them for when they need to dig deep - can't argue I suppose after last year's result
    He’s 23 in April. Already has a GF ring from 2014.

Leeds benefitted from Sneyd having a bit of an off game IMHO but didn’t look fluid.

“Just enough” still gains 2 comp points though.... and “just enough” wins trophies and titles so I’m not taking Leeds for granted.

I’m hoping Pauls Trinity team take the points from Wigan on Sunday at the preposterously named Mobile Rocket Stadium

Grand Master
    Wakefield -Wigan match is at Wigan, not Wakefield.

Trinity have a full strength side, so it ‘ll be interesting to see how it goes!

Paul

Grand Master
    Wigan 30 Wakefield 18.........our winning run comes to an end. At least we won the 1st half (10-12).

5 from 5 would’ve been nice but we can’t complain.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Wigan 30 Wakefield 18.........our winning run comes to an end. At least we won the 1st half (10-12).

5 from 5 would’ve been nice but we can’t complain.

Paul
    Was a shame, I saw you were ahead at half time and crossed my toes!

I’ve got my hospitality tickets for Good Friday, I hope Walmsley is back for that one!

Grand Master
    Match abandoned at Wakey tonight after 27 mins........I`d already bottled out when I saw the snow falling at 6 o clock. Forecast was for heavy snow showers at 7, that's exactly what happened.

Last time I recall a match being abandoned at Wakefield was around 1992, coincidentally that was against Widnes too!

Bloody weather, I`d looked forward to going tonight but thought better of it when I saw the snow, a good call on my part!

Surprised to see Leeds beat Saints last night, I predicted a big win for Saints mid-way through the 1st half.

Also surprised to see Hull KR beat Hudds.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Match abandoned at Wakey tonight after 27 mins........I`d already bottled out when I saw the snow falling at 6 o clock. Forecast was for heavy snow showers at 7, that's exactly what happened.

Last time I recall a match being abandoned at Wakefield was around 1992, coincidentally that was against Widnes too!

Bloody weather, I`d looked forward to going tonight but thought better of it when I saw the snow, a good call on my part!

Surprised to see Leeds beat Saints last night, I predicted a big win for Saints mid-way through the 1st half.

Also surprised to see Hull KR beat Hudds.

Paul

We should have beaten them but some indiscipline, a couple of strange reffing decisions (high shot penalty for somebody falling onto your arm?) and a ball bouncing around, all added up to a poor result, but we had plenty of chances to put it to bed....

Blog Entries
    No Trip up this week as Saints humble Hull KR 30-6 away from home. Never a great hunting ground for St Helens, our defense again stood strong even when Rovers staged a mini revival on the cusp of half time.

St Helens blew them away in the second half. Again, Ben Barba was instrumental scoring two tries (taking his season tally to 8!) ibut Thompson powered over for our first, and Peyroux footwork for our last was great for a big man! Highlights below:-

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...6-30-st-helens

This now sets up a mouthwatering clash on Good Friday against Wigan!

COYS!

Craftsman
    Good scoring game at the Halliwell Jones last night and great to see Warrington turning around the season slowly after a miserable start. Be interested to see how Charnley settles into the team in Atkins absence.

Great result for Cas at Leeds!

Grand Master
    Wakey losing.........Cas winning (just)........not the best of evenings for me!

Didn’t see the Wakey/Warrington game, but by all accounts we were poor in the second half with some weak defending. Another game lost in a similar fashion after leading at half time.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Went to the TW stadium Friday to watch the match and it was a real see-saw game. Very tough game and Wigan dominated the opening exchanges for ten minutes or so but then we dominated the half, going in 12-2 leaders. Wigan again controlled early in the second half, taking the narrowest of 12-14 lead before we took a 2 point penalty then Regan Grace went over in the corner and Richardson added the extras before a drop goal sealed it, rendering a late try for Wigan irrelevant other than for pride. Strange decision for me that Wigan took the conversion kick with just under a minute left on the clock, at 21-18 down I thought they would sacrifice the extras (burgess missed anyway) on a wing and a prayer, hoping to somehow get another try (both teams were so tired at the end anything could happen!)

A proper bruising encounter, I spoke to Robes after the game and his face was very bruised and battered....

Wigan are a very physical team and Wane gets the best out of them in a derby thriller....

Blog Entries
    And we filled it up with a Bankholiday Monday beating of Widnes in the annual Koralius Cup.

Let’s hope we can beat Hull FC on Friday to extend up our lead at the top!

COYS!!!

Grand Master
    Saints are looking like the best side in SL so far this season, can’t dispute that. Not much between a few other sides, Warrington are putting some form together and so are Wigan.

Two defeats for Trinity over Easter hasn’t pleased me, we had chance to beat Cas but lost by 5 , then lost by 1 point to Hull in a game we lead at half- time by 10. I’d rather win one match then loose the second heavily.........you get nowt for a gallant defeat with honour. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways at home against Leeds on Sunday, but that won’t be easy.

Paul

I was very surprised the Cass Wire game went ahead due to the state of the pitch. It was actually far worse than the tv shots show. Any other field sport would have been called off with a pitch like that. I suppose Cass wanted it on as they have a backlog of fixtures to fulfil, but player safety need to be considered.

Anyways, glad it was played as we won !!

Stuart

Didn’t see the Wakey/Warrington game
    Paul
    PM sent Paul

Stuart

Blog Entries
    Saints vs Hull tonight. It could be a stern test for us, or we may walk it.

Imho depends on which Hull turn up. They’ve been very inconsistent this season and their derby will have taken a lot out of them, and on top of that a hard fought slog against Paul’s lot wouldn’t have been easy.

Confidence will be high for St Helens and once again an unchanged squad has been named.

A yardstick for the season methinks!