closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SiHH 2018!

SiHH 2018!

SIHH starts today and some new watches to goggle over

I can't see a thread at the moment - but please post the releases you come across and any thoughts.

I'l start up with a brand in the limelight - Moser. Wandering hours with a fume dial, not sure about it to be honest, but certainly different!

http://www.watchprosite.com/independ...78374.9394734/

Another interesting release that has caught my eye - Jaeger launches a new Polaris line, no ridiculous placed dates and the balance on a lot of these watches are so much better! Lots of images in the link.

http://www.watchprosite.com/jaeger-l...78441.9396221/

Craftsman
    My word, it's only 9:08 here in France and Hodinkee's list of new SIHH models is already 3 pages deep. Plenty to discuss i'm sure. That new JLC Polaris is winning for me so far!

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    My word, it's only 9:08 here in France and Hodinkee's list of new SIHH models is already 3 pages deep. Plenty to discuss i'm sure. That new JLC Polaris is winning for me so far!
    Embargos were at 9am apparently so now it all kicks off!

Another one - the Freak is my absolute grail and love seeing new releases of it!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ul...on-introducing

Really like the look of the three hander in blue.

Craftsman
    I just realised that the new Polaris memovox is 42mm. DOA for me unfortunately. With the extra thick movement/case too it's going to wear huge.

Craftsman
    I just realised that the new Polaris memovox is 42mm. DOA for me unfortunately. With the extra thick movement/case too it's going to wear huge.
    That is a shame. Beautiful looking watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I’d love to see the memovox in the metal. You’re right though in that it’ll probably be too thick

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Very well spotted - after looking at the watches more, they just leave me a bit cold TBH. Too nostalgia focused and not 'new' enough maybe?

Another interesting thing - Vacheron going 'down market'. I expected more brands to bring down market this year, not seen much of it though:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...ordable-watch/

Master
    I like the VC Fifty Six collection, be mindful of the changes to thickness also across the range.

I have been looking at the vacheron overseas dual time but I like this a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Very well spotted - after looking at the watches more, they just leave me a bit cold TBH. Too nostalgia focused and not 'new' enough maybe?

Another interesting thing - Vacheron going 'down market'. I expected more brands to bring down market this year, not seen much of it though:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/vachero...ordable-watch/
    I have to say i'm quite enthralled with them - not sure how I feel about a "cheap" Vacheron though!

Craftsman
    Cartier Drive Extra Flat in steel! This'll sell like hotcakes I reckon:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ca...ld-introducing

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    The new Panerais are a disaster (excluding the ultra high end stuff). The new base logos are a total mess design wise and only 100m water rating. I am a big fan of the brand, but certainly gone down hill and weak offerings! Also the crown guard looks horrible on the 38mm!!!

I have to say i'm quite enthralled with them - not sure how I feel about a "cheap" Vacheron though!
    Still not cheap though! Vacheron have been on a bit of a PR mission, but no real idea if it is working or not....

Craftsman
    Cartier Drive Extra Flat in steel! This'll sell like hotcakes I reckon:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ca...ld-introducing

can't wait to actually try one of these on. Though, not really sure whether this is a sports watch or a dress watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    can't wait to actually try one of these on. Though, not really sure whether this is a sports watch or a dress watch?
    they do nothing for me

38mm PAM sounds good. The AP jumbo looks stunning too, but unlikely to be one that pops up on SC at a 'try me on' price!

Quite liking the VC perpetual calendar too at 8mm thick, albeit with an AP movement

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    they do nothing for me
    +1, the Cartier looks boring for me.

The blue looks lovely.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I'm interested to see the new Vacheron in the flesh.

Does anyone have a rough idea how long it usually takes from SIHH before they will start appearing in stores?

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    The blue looks lovely.

But note that the numerals are now just painted on instead of the much more attractive appliques in the standard versions!

Master
    +1, one of the more appealing watches so far but unwearable for me. A pity as JLC have been known to offer a range of sizes and some more flexible models. Meanwhile the PORTUGIESER HAND-WOUND EIGHT DAYS EDITION “150 YEARS” is 43.2mm, I guess they were always big watches though.

The VC56 also stands out but the stainless steel model pics all look like CGI to me, I’d like to see a more realistic wrist shot. 40mm with a crown guard is not exactly dainty but is at least more promising. Their idea of ‘cheap’ is relative it seems.

Another year passes and I’d still like to see a thin stainless steel Overseas in around 39mm, surely I can’t be the only one who thinks this? They released a 37mm ‘unisex’ model previously but they’re not fooling anyone, it’s the women’s model.

My usual moan I guess!

Master
    The blue three-hander Polaris is my favorite so far.

I'm a little disappointed by Panerai's offerings (especially after last year). I was hoping they might expand on their 42mm models with a 42mm base Luminor. A 42mm Panerai 372 is a dream for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Really like the look of the three hander in blue.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    But note that the numerals are now just painted on instead of the much more attractive appliques in the standard versions!
    Is that anything to do with them being lacquer dials?

Craftsman

I did wonder that myself. I would guess there is some wizardry to drilling the holes for the applied indices without cracking the lacquer. Drilling the small holes first and then giving it seven layers of lacquer is bound to fill the holes in again...?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    By coincidence, I came across this the other day - seems stamping already exists for this range?

Perhaps - though Omega manage to have applied indices on the Seamaster 300M ceramic and that has a (beautiful, IMHO) lacquered dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    By coincidence, I came across this the other day - seems stamping already exists for this range?

There was a review on TZ around 10 years ago bemoaning the cheaply stamped dials that IWC fit to these watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Like the APs, jlc polaris memovox and moser green Swiss alps watch.
    Everything else is leaving me rather underwhelmed tho.

Master
    Last edited by EJL25; 15th January 2018 at 19:17.

Master
    SIHH starts today and some new watches to goggle over

I can't see a thread at the moment - but please post the releases you come across and any thoughts.

I'l start up with a brand in the limelight - Moser. Wandering hours with a fume dial, not sure about it to be honest, but certainly different!
    Lovely piece, that should look bonkers but I think works very well. Some of the other images from the linked site look great - lovely curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    Lovely piece, that should look bonkers but I think works very well. Some of the other images from the linked site look great - lovely curves.
    There is a video somewhere on Instagram showing it work, it really is amazing!

Good MB&F too, though I'm still after all these years undecided about the sarpaneva angry moon....

like some of the montblanc offerings

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    like some of the montblanc offerings
    Seems basic sellita and 7750 for the more 'entry level'?

Have to say, so far a bit of a disappointing SIHH.

Last edited by minkle; 16th January 2018 at 00:59.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Hello stranger. Monc Blanc have a few nice ones. I've been impressed by both them and JLc

Master
    The one which really caught my eye was the Piaget Altiplano concept. The word 'concept' being important, but taken extremely far in showing what's possible in ultra-thin. I wonder is 2mm structurally sound enough to wear?

https://www.revolution.watch/sihh-20...-in-the-world/

^^^^I think there is a reason why this is a concept only. Personally I don't see the point, especially if the case is like 39mm, just looks odd in my opinion. Nevertheless I do think the movement itself looks quite nice visually.

I think the 'star' seems to be this bad ass triple split Lange - totally unnecessary, but just look at that movement! It also seems a bit of a bargain at $147,000 (this is in relation to some of the tat being released above the 6 figure mark....)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-lange...e-split-watch/

Master
    I think the 'star' seems to be this bad ass triple split Lange
    I would think the service cost was about $147,000!

Master
    I would love to be able to afford a MB&F one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I would think the service cost was about $147,000!
    At this level, my concern wouldn't be the cost, I'd be too rich to give a damn -

How long would it take? I know their normal service times are shocking, I bet it takes at least 6 months to get the work done!

Craftsman
    ^^^^I think there is a reason why this is a concept only. Personally I don't see the point, especially if the case is like 39mm, just looks odd in my opinion. Nevertheless I do think the movement itself looks quite nice visually.

I think the 'star' seems to be this bad ass triple split Lange - totally unnecessary, but just look at that movement! It also seems a bit of a bargain at $147,000 (this is in relation to some of the tat being released above the 6 figure mark....)

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-lange...e-split-watch/

does it get much better?! Had my first hands on experience with some Lange's recently, leagues above anything I have ever seen!

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    does it get much better?! Had my first hands on experience with some Lange's recently, leagues above anything I have ever seen!
    Visually Lange really are simply stunning. The 1815 chronologically is a favourite, but as mentioned a few posts up, Lange are horrendous for servicing costs and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Hello stranger. Monc Blanc have a few nice ones. I've been impressed by both them and JLc
    Bloody hell! Look who it is!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Bloody hell! Look who it is!
    :D

Been away a while; seem to have got the bug again recently

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...0-Prodigal-Son

:D

Been away a while; seem to have got the bug again recently

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...0-Prodigal-Son

Welcome back! It'll be interesting to see how your taste has changed over the time away and also the realisation that things are still over priced

for me it’s been a great SIHH, some lovely stuff from JLC, Montblanc, Vacheron and Panerai amongst others. i’ll not be buying anything but it’s good to see nice pieces being released especially at sensible sizes.

Master
    Welcome back! It'll be interesting to see how your taste has changed over the time away and also the realisation that things are still over priced
    Smaller, slightly more dressy and irritatingly more expensive. Currently wearing a Grand Seiko Snowflake. I have about ten watches but only ever wear two. The Snowflake and the MM300

Smaller, slightly more dressy and irritatingly more expensive. Currently wearing a Grand Seiko Snowflake. I have about ten watches but only ever wear two. The Snowflake and the MM300
    Well thats the hobby going in the right direction then!

Master
    Well thats the hobby going in the right direction then!
    Seems so. Doesn't help that my brother-in-law is a massive WIS (is that acronym still used?) though he's not on forums. Every time I see him he's wearing something new (maybe not every time but frequently). Did some maths on what I know he's got and I guess he must have £30k or £40k tied up in them. I know some on here are probably similar or even more, but still amazes me. We have dissimilar tastes though; he has two Franck Mullers (used to have a third) for example and they do nothing for me