closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Driving license?

Driving license?

Master
    Never happen in significant numbers, and it's 'licence'...

The seats are more likely to face each other. If there are no controls then there is no need to see forwards.

Might not happen for a few years, but I can see the time when our children wont need to take the traditional driving test.

So terribly sorry about the spelling professor grammar nazi...
    Last edited by sestrel; 15th January 2018 at 08:30.

Master
    Several of our customers are heavily involved in self-driving tech, both in cars and roadside infrastructure. They had an interesting demonstration where computerised cars were driving around a city, and you had to go and drive one car. Adding just one human to the mix caused massive disruption, no matter how carefully they drove. Presumably the computerised cars all knew what each other would be doing and found the most efficient approach, whereas margins had to be left for what they didn't know about me.

In cities at least self-driving makes a lot of sense. I love driving, but if I can get in a car, turn the seats backwards and chat or read for an hour or two, I'll be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    The seats are more likely to face each other. If there are no controls then there is no need to see forwards.
    That's what I was thinking until I watched the video and it dawned on me that everybody would much rather spend the time looking at a small screen these days.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    I'm dreading the day that I can no longer enjoy a random drive just for the sake of driving.

Of course by the time these become the norm i'll either be in a care home or 6 feet under

Motorcycle riders will become the outlaws again! Harley’s ridden by Hells Angels and managing directors will roam the roads freely in the new Utopia.

The thought of being driven around by a computer gives me the heebie jeebies. My PC crashes a hell of a lot more often than I do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    The thought of being driven around by a computer gives me the heebie jeebies. My PC crashes a hell of a lot more often than I do.
    And in that event who is the insured driver?

Journeyman
    Motorcycle riders will become the outlaws again! Harley’s ridden by Hells Angels and managing directors will roam the roads freely in the new Utopia.
    That's quite the compelling image

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    And in that event who is the insured driver?
    Good point. perhaps it will be the vehicle itself that is insured. If two self driving cars impact, then the software (or perhaps hardware of the vehicle, blowout etc) will be at fault. Therefore when you buy the car, you also pay for the insurance via the manufacturer, one supposes...

Was just watching something else about the subject: what a great idea if your disabled and can no longer drive/see etc. Could really help with a persons independence.
    Last edited by sestrel; 15th January 2018 at 18:36.

Master
    I think full autonomy is a long way off. The tech is there now, or very nearly. It’s the legislation that will be the problem.
    Picture the scenario. Your car has become involved in a fault accident when in full autonomy mode. Who gets the blame? The manufacturer? The software developers? The driver? (Who is really just a passenger but ultimately he’s in charge of the car, or not, as the case may be).
    It’s a mindfield.
    Having said that though, I think fully autonomous will become the norm on motorways in the not too distant future, and I think that the accident rate will drop sharply as a result. No more dickheads driving within a few feet of you in the fast lane because they are so eager to get past. No more mindless fools who come charging down the fast lane and leave it until the last few metres before pulling across three lanes for their exit. To be quite honest, I would be happy to see 100% autonomous driving on motorways.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Good point. perhaps it will be the vehicle itself that is insured. If two self driving cars impact, then the software (or perhaps hardware of the vehicle, blowout etc) will be at fault. Therefore when you buy the car, you also pay for the insurance via the manufacturer, one supposes...

Was just watching something else about the subject: what a great idea if your disabled and can no longer drive/see etc. Could really help with a persons independence.
    So what happens when the 'autonomous' car crashes into a wall with the disabled driver inside? Who decides if the car is at fault, who pays out any injury claims, who pays for the repairs to the wall.

Do you think the insurance industry will accept the flattening of premiums since there is no issue with driver age/history/convictions?.

What about manufacturers - who will surely insist on more frequent safety checks and tests and it's associated on-cost to the customer?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

But the disabled, or not, “driver” , wont be, they will only be a passenger. I don’t profess to know any answers, one can only make suppositions at this point. One way or the other though, it will happen, as will some halting starts, involving huge greedy profits as usual, from the insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    But the disabled, or not, “driver” , wont be, they will only be a passenger. I don’t profess to know any answers, one can only make suppositions at this point. One way or the other though, it will happen, as will some halting starts, involving huge greedy profits as usual, from the insurance companies.
    But the passenger has to have a route to claim for any injuries?

You fanaticise too much, Lol.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Must start to grow me beard 😂

Watch the Tony Sabo presentation I posted, this will happen quickly. It not driverless but shared cars that will drive the change. Why own something that sits unused for 22 hours of the day, economics will drive the change.

Master
    Funnily enough it will be the situations when the automatedcar is on its own in isolated areas that will be more problematic. Then the car will completely be reliant on its iwn internal processing and sensors to analyse the road.

In an urban situation automated cars will communicate with others in their immediate area. They will know in advance the intended manoevre of each other and will negotiate with each other. Essentially imagine driving but you know the next three manouvres from every car withing a 500m radius.

When they finally arrive automated vehicles will very quickly minimise accidents to the extent that manually driven cars will quckly be regarded as the domain of dangerous sport enthusiasts.

I give it 15-20 years. The car manufacturers know already they have two -three major new model cycles remaining before its all automated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Watch the Tony Sabo presentation I posted, this will happen quickly. It not driverless but shared cars that will drive the change. Why own something that sits unused for 22 hours of the day, economics will drive the change.
    Yes this is highly likely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    So what happens when the 'autonomous' car crashes into a wall with the disabled driver inside? Who decides if the car is at fault, who pays out any injury claims, who pays for the repairs to the wall.

Do you think the insurance industry will accept the flattening of premiums since there is no issue with driver age/history/convictions?.

What about manufacturers - who will surely insist on more frequent safety checks and tests and it's associated on-cost to the customer?.
    Same thing that happens in an accident that was no one’s fault.

The insurance companies will be laughing. Each car will need to have insurance in the usual way but the insurance companies will hardly ever have to pay out.

The cars will require an mot . They will have extreme redundancy and self tests regimes (it will probably mot itself every day and refuse to go anywhere but a service centre if it suspects a serious fault about to happen. However if the car does suffer a catastrophic fault it should be able to hand over the control to other nearby vehicles until it can bring itself safely to a halt whilst the rest of the traffic rapidly does everything it can to minimise the risk of a serious accident.

There will probably still be accidents ( probably a lot with human error as a major factor) but it will be a tiny percentage that it is currently.

The death toll from cars is massive compared with just about any other factor in modern life. Its up there with war and famine in terms of human cost. And that’s before you factor in medical and rescue services costs.

Having unfortunately had to identify a young relative who died in a head on 70mph crash ( scumbag in the other car was on their mobile and crossed the central reservation) I say it can’t happen soon enough.

I know that many people are passionate about their cars but in terms of human cost they are the epitome of a good invention badly implimented. I’m sure track days will still do a booming trade for the petrolheads.

WHO estimate 1.25million deaths in 2013 from road traffic accidents.

Global estimates for war fir the same period seem to be about 400 000.

That figure would suggest to me that the majority of human beings have no business being in control of cars assuming a better alternative.
    Last edited by Mr.D; 16th January 2018 at 06:50.