closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smart/casual shoes

Smart/casual shoes

Hey guys looking for recommendations here shoes to be worn mainly with smart jeans and smart jumpers/shirts. Got a budget of £100 a pair ideally looking to invest in 3 pair.
    Normally I’ve bought Loakes open to change or are they still the best in my budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Keep an eye on trickers sales they maybe close to your budget

Herring Shoes and Grenson would be worth a look at that budget. Over the years I’ve had shoes from Loake, Crockett & Jones, Cheaney, Grenson, Ducker & Son and Herring Shoes. All are good but in terms of bang for buck I really rate Herring. Something like their Dune desert boots are under £100.

On the High Street that will buy you shoes made in China or India (ie rubbish) or at best in Portugal (which can be pretty good).

If you look for Hoggs of Fife on the Fifecountry or Cherry Tree websites you’ll see discounted British made shoes for maybe around £130.

Alternatively scour eBay for seconds, old stock, or unworn quality shoes being sold by charity shops or individuals. I’ve picked up a few pairs of £300-400 shoes for £100-150 that way.

Grand Master
    Crockett and Jones get my money these days but also have Cheaney and Loake 1880
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Crockett and Jones get my money these days but also have Cheaney and Loake 1880
    If you can tell any of us where to buy them at £100 I’m sure there will be a queue...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    If you can tell any of us where to buy them at £100 I’m sure there will be a queue...
    I wouldn’t buy a few £100 pairs I would buy one decent pair then work harder
    RIAC

I’m sure the OP will appreciate your life advice...

Grand Master
    I’m sure the OP will appreciate your life advice...
    And having purchased cheaper they dont last as long nor to me do they give the same feeling. From experience I would always stretch myself when buying shoes if I had to and get something special that will last several decades.
    What the OP is saying I think is I want to spend around £300 on some shoes, so with that budget Id buy one pair and then when Ive grafted some more Id buy another if I was on a budget
    RIAC

And having purchased cheaper they dont last as long nor to me do they give the same feeling. From experience I would always stretch myself when buying shoes if I had to and get something special that will last several decades.
    What the OP is saying I think is I want to spend around £300 on some shoes, so with that budget Id buy one pair and then when Ive grafted some more Id buy another if I was on a budget
    Where shoes are concerned I agree. I buy good shoes but still a bargain is a bargain and above I suggested a few pointers for sourcing maximum shoe for minimum buck.

Sorry but i still think telling someone to “work harder” is unnecessarily tart.

Grand Master

Sorry but i still think telling someone to “work harder” is unnecessarily tart.
    Ok. Work harder if you want more expensive things. If not chill and enjoy.

RIAC

Or lazy but lucky or clever.

Just bought a couple of pairs of these https://www.allweathers.co.uk/barbou...ka-boots-brown Good value at £100 instead of the usual £140

Cant go with ecco shoes

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    Cant go with ecco shoes
    Wrong?

Master
    Bit closer to your budget than some of the suggestions,I’ve got 2 pairs,brogues and double monks and very happy with the quality,made in China but to a high standard.
    https://www.meermin.es

Master
    Lacoste Sherbrooke boot/shoe are a good cross over shoe/boot well made and reasonably cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Today I got these in TK Maxx £13.00 Italian handmade bargain dark brown,Dino Dragh

for other casual shoes for comfort I like sketches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Today I got these in TK Maxx £13.00 Italian handmade bargain dark brown,Dino Dragh

for other casual shoes for comfort I like sketches.
    Bloody bargain!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Re TK Maxx, while I have probably around 40 pairs of English benchmade shoes I do have a pair of Portuguese made brogues I bought from TK for around £50 which I like very much. I think the brand is Paulo Vandini, certainly not expensive but they are Goodyear welted and well made. They came with a leather sole which wore quickly but even the expensive English ones do that for me, but with a rubber retread they have lasted and worn very well and seem comparable to Loake 1880 and similar priced Barkers quality wise.

Master
    There are a couple of shoe shops local to me that stock Barkers 'imperfect' grade shoes, which have the specific imperfections identified by a small blue sticker. Frequently these are small marks that you would likely pick up the first time you wear them. This grade also includes end of range and sample stock. These normally sell for less than half the normal selling price and I have picked up some decent shoes from the 'Custom Collection' for around £100 or less.

Thank toy for the recommendations guy some I had dismissed and will now look over again. Some I’d never thought of so plenty to look at.

Sorry but I work bloody hard to afford my luxuries and watches etc as well as feeding my family and kids

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Thank toy for the recommendations guy some I had dismissed and will now look over again. Some I’d never thought of so plenty to look at.

Sorry but I work bloody hard to afford my luxuries and watches etc as well as feeding my family and kids

In context I meant I’d rather own just one pair which is all a man needs and should you desire three pairs then buy quality over time which is usually spent working

RIAC

If they're worn every day you'll need at least two pairs...and shoe trees. Two pairs in rotation will last a lot longer than one pair worn to death and then another pair worn to death. If you see what I mean.

Edited to add - try the factory shops in Northampton for the English made shoes. Charles Clinkard sometimes has Barkers seconds that are English made for around £100. You take your chance on styles and size though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    If they're worn every day you'll need at least two pairs...and shoe trees. Two pairs in rotation will last a lot longer than one pair worn to death and then another pair worn to death. If you see what I mean.

Edited to add - try the factory shops in Northampton for the English made shoes. Charles Clinkard sometimes has Barkers seconds that are English made for around £100. You take your chance on styles and size though.
    That was the thinking get three pair and then look to add the highest quality pairs as and when I can.

I am often consulted for fashion advice.
    In this case my top tip would be to buy one pair of smart shoes and one pair of casual shoes, then wear one of each.
    Thus you can change mood like a chameleon just by changing your stance.
    And the big bonus is that each pair lasts twice as long.

I’ve been a fan of Lacoste and hudson foot wear, Always find them extremely comfortable and reasonably priced (particularly during sales season).

Master
    I can't help thinking expensive shoes are just another part of the pomp, process and snobbery that TZers seem to love in their life. However, each to their own. Just don't kid yourself its a necessity.

I rarely spend more than £100 on a pair and I really can't remember the last time I had a pair of shoes fall apart on me or wear out at an excessive rate.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I can't help thinking expensive shoes are just another part of the pomp, process and snobbery that TZers seem to love in their life. However, each to their own. Just don't kid yourself its a necessity.

I rarely spend more than £100 on a pair and I really can't remember the last time I had a pair of shoes fall apart on me or wear out at an excessive rate.
    I also rarely spend (much) more than £100 on a pair of shoes, but I do try to get the best that I can for that amount. As I've already said, I tend to go for Barkers seconds, which are generally around that price. and normally have only minor cosmetic 'faults'. In buying shoes my criteria is, all leather construction (uppers, lining and soles), Goodyear welted and wider fitting, (the need for wider fitting tends to rule out many brands at this price point). With two local shops who are large outlets for Barker seconds, this is the most obvious choice to tick all the boxes. I am an 8.5 which helps, as I understand that their samples are produced in this size. I do get mine fitted with a thin rubber sole and use shoe trees, as soon as I take them off. Consequently they last for years, so I have significant number of pairs in regular use.

Journeyman
    For me, a good pair of Timberland 6" icons or Dr Martens originals is my ideal hard wearing smart boot / shoe.

As mentioned, when in rotation they'll last me many years to come (though I appreciate that the Dr Martens in particular have a very marmite look)

Man @ Milletts here seems to spend half his life in his Brasher Fellmasters, which he had re-soled just before the company sold out to Berghaus.

Neither smart nor casual, but after 10+ years of wearing they are by far the most comfortable footwear ever experienced.

Look a bit odd with the tux though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wrong?
    :) correct

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post

I can't help thinking expensive watches are just another part of the pomp, process and snobbery that TZers seem to love in their life. However, each to their own. Just don't kid yourself it's a necessity.

I rarely spend more than £100 on a watch and I really can't remember the last time I had a watch fall apart on me or wear out at an excessive rate.

I spend a couple of hundred pounds on shoes every year, but instead of buying cheap shoes that wear out and are irreparable I buy trickers, crocket & jones etc and get many years out of them plus have built up a collection over the years of different styles/colours. Much better value than cheap shoes that don't last and they look much better too.

I would recommend keeping an eye out on eBay. I've bought some excellent shoes on there, unworn, for small fractions of retail price. Also bought a few that ended up going straight to charity shop because they didn't fit.

Also sales in Russell and Bromley. Their own shoes are poor quality from my experience but I bought two pairs of moreschi for £90 or so each down from £300+. Both excellent. One was a dress shoe the other a pair of boots that are on their third winter now and still looking like they have a winter or two in them

Also echo factory shops in Northampton. Bought a good pair of loafers at churches for £75. Shop price £285. Not sure what the defect was. Another pair for £100. Shop price £350. Defect was they were odd sizes (ie different size right and left) which was perfect because my left is bigger than right foot.

Working harder: ignore. The cleaners at my work place work harder than I do yet get paid less. Not that I'm comparing OP to a clearer. Just that effort put in does not equate to output in all cases. OP asked about shoe advice not life advice.