closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Good swap bad swap

Good swap bad swap

So...I currently have a BLNR and a larger type explorer 2 polar and my 40th birthday is fast approaching and as a result I’m going to have the makeweight funds to exchange my existing watches for a BLRO....

Alternatively I could keep my Batman and explorer....and have £7500-8000 to spend on another watch, possibly a DJ

thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it. But bear in mind the insurance issues it might give you.

Good swop, the BLRO is a stunner and the stealth wealth look with white gold.

Go for it...

It’ll have to be a daily wearer too

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    So...I currently have a BLNR and a larger type explorer 2 polar and my 40th birthday is fast approaching and as a result I’m going to have the makeweight funds to exchange my existing watches for a BLRO....

Alternatively I could keep my Batman and explorer....and have £7500-8000 to spend on another watch, possibly a DJ

thoughts?

I'm having exactly the same dilemma albeit with a 5513 and 1016 going towards a BLRO or 116519LN. I can offer no help but will watch this thread with interest!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My preference is steel sports but ye gods the blro is king of the modern gmts.
    I'd sacrifice the pair.

Craftsman
    I prefer the BLNR colour combo, so I'd stick with having the choice of 2 lovely watches and saving a big old chunk of money.
    Doesn't help you with your birthday though does it.
    I love Daytona though so I'd sell the explorer and use the funds to acquire a Daytona. Easier said than done.

Craftsman
    If I were in your position I'd make the trade. A landmark watch for a landmark birthday.

Ha, I’ve been thinking about the same. BLNR, 42mm Polar Exp2 and SD16600 into a used BLRO but can’t quite commit. Scared of having that much in one watch. Going to try a Sub bracelet on the BLNR and consider options first. Either way, BLRO is a great watch.

Master
    Definitely do it. No question. You will have a really great watch to mark a milestone and I am pretty sure the two you are trading in will be forgotten very quickly given what you are getting.

Master
    Not quite the same, but I have a white gold Daytona, and sold the steel version. It's not a 'better' watch, just using gold instead of steel. In your case, there's a fair chance that a steel version will be around before too long. Whether that matters, only you can say. But how many people buy a gold Skydweller these days.
    So, I suppose it's about if you want a gold watch enough. Otherwise keep the fine watches you have maybe, and wait . Difficult really, but I don't think I would hurry into that swap.
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th January 2018 at 21:30.

I’d get the BLRO, it’s a fantastic watch and relatively discreet to those not in the know.

Unlike Peter, I don’t think that there’ll ever be a steel version although I wouldn’t rule out a steel “coke”. I can imagine the demand for that one would not be dissimilar to that for the ceramic Daytona though.

Another vote for the BLRO here. Handled one a while back and it really is an amazing piece, and noticeably more special than a steel watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I also am curious as to wether the coke will make an appearance in ss.....that would certainly effect residuals should I opt for a Pepsi

Yeah, I also am curious as to wether the coke will make an appearance in ss.....that would certainly effect residuals should I opt for a Pepsi

I don’t think it would effect BLRO residuals any more than the BLNR does.

I think it would probably effect BLNR prices and availability though unless the BLNR were to be discontinued.

Master
    I’ve had a WG sub in the past and got bored of it pretty quickly. If you get bored of the WG GMT, your watch box will offer few alternatives if you have traded your other watches in order to get it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d have the GMT over the sub all day long so if you’re going to do it, make sure you get one at the best price possible because it probably won’t be a keeper.

Personally (and assuming you do still like/wear your BLNR & Exp2), unless you are also trying to consolidate your collection to fewer pieces, I wouldn't.

For me, it's swapping two great watches (or three, with your funds potential) for just one great one. It's swapping one GMT for another, and the BLRO is technically & functionally no 'better' than your BLNR, aside from being made of white gold.

I can though understand the argument for white gold over steel - despite passing visual similarity, white gold does indeed look & feel different. And more importantly, it has the ability to make one feel special, which is why any of us likes watches in the first place.

So, really it comes down to the value you place upon that precious metal aspect. I wouldn't personally place enough of a premium upon it to do the swap, but then I like variety, and it helps keep each piece fresh, and not stale. Aesthetically, I do though slightly prefer the BLRO to the BLNR, but not so much that I'd sacrifice three for one.

If it were me, I'd take your £8,000 fund, save an extra £3,000 if possible, and buy an A Lange & Sohne Saxonia 37mm in white gold - now that's a truly special watch, and very different to your existing Rolexes.

Just my personal opinion - there's no wrong or right choice though, just the route that best pleases you.

Master
    I wouldnt make this trade personally. Ofcourse I am not aware of your financial situations but those 2 watches you already have are very nice steel watches. If anything, I would sell the explorer for example and get a nice gold watch instead.

I personally would not make this trade -why?
    Well I ordered a BLRO and when the watch came in and I saw it in the flesh, I did not like the colour of the bezel. In particular, the red does not look right when you compare against the older Pepsi GMT and the dial is nothing special. The watch was very much for me a let down. There are also some practicality issues in that the bracelet does not have the same adjustment that the Sub C bracelets have.
    I chose not to purchase and went for the White Gold Submariner with Blue dial which I personally think is a better and more wearable watch.

I wouldn't - party because of not being comfortable with that amount tied up in one watch and partly because I don't think that the Pepsi bezel looks its best in ceramic form.

Master
    I’m not a fan of the white gold gmt in the slightest. It’s the most dull finish on that model, and the red of the bezel isn’t a patch on the aluminium red of old. I’d personally wait to see what comes out at Basel.

Stainless steel coke maybe?

Stainless steel coke maybe?
    March.

Craftsman
    Go for a stainless steel Pepsi and get extra coke and black bezel for it. 5 different looks for the same money.

Would love a BLRO but your mixed collection would pip it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Aaaagh
    I’m now looking at either....
    The above swap
    Or
    WG sub
    Or
    Keeping the other 2 watches and adding a 1978 (birth year)pesi on jubilee

Hmmm
    1 month and 1 week to decide

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I’m not a fan of the white gold gmt in the slightest. It’s the most dull finish on that model, and the red of the bezel isn’t a patch on the aluminium red of old. I’d personally wait to see what comes out at Basel.
    Agreed. Personally, I don't see the point of a white-gold Rolex; it has a look similar to more-practical steel but with the softness of 18K. Platinum is the white PM to have.

For someone who wants a modern 18K GMT, the green-dialled 116818 is worth checking out in person:

Master
    You've got two great watches, why not expand your horizons and try another make. AP, Panerai, Omega et al.

Good swap bad swap

Nice thought,
    I’ve had a 16610 (sold to set my business up)

A SS DAYTONA (missed the date complication so flipped)

A hulk (likewise sold)

I now have a BLNR and an explorer polar

I’ve never had a gold watch
    It’s really tough knowing wether to consolidate and buy gold or just add to what I’ve got!

If I was buying an omega then I’d be buying a speedy but when I bought one for a member of staff recently I was underwhelmed by it!

When I bought my sub my navitimer just never got wrist time.....I seem to have developed a Rolex obsession!

Love the smurf and the Pepsi but if I had to trade in my BLNR AND EXPLORER I’m pretty sure I’d end up having to buy a BLNR again which would invariably end up costing more to replace on the grey market!!

Never considered a yachtmaster but I’m even looking at yellow gold versions of them!!

Nice problem to have I suppose

Master
    In your position I would add another watch to the collection. It just gives variety when you fancy a change.

Craftsman
    Agree that probably shouldn't put all eggs in one basket. I think three nice watches is better than one VERY nice watch.

Blog Entries
    Aaaagh
    I’m now looking at either....
    The above swap
    Or
    WG sub
    Or
    Keeping the other 2 watches and adding a 1978 (birth year)pesi on jubilee

Hmmm
    1 month and 1 week to decide

add YM - maybe with chocolate dial rather than my black version. Superb finish, but more refined than the Sub but still the Oyster heritage.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd January 2018 at 18:39.

Dear OP, I’ll echo what others have said in this thread... don’t do it!!!!

You already own fabulous steel pieces. There is no real benefit to the BLRO:

Dull finish
    White gold added heft
    White gold more fragile, scratch and ding prone
    Red color in bezel is not the same as the old aluminum steel model

A Smurf Submariners makes more sense if you want to do the white gold. From where I am standing white gold is pretty pointless imho.

Master

Good swap bad swap

I have the yellow gold sub it’s probably one of the most liked watches in my collection.

White gold S***e gold.

Some feel uncomfortable wearing a yellow gold watch, they’d call it showy or jingle jangle but that’s just about insecurities, best bet is do what you want.

Last edited by Volvomanuk; 24th January 2018 at 19:37.

This beaut arrived today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk View Post
    I have the yellow gold sub it’s probably one of the most liked watches in my collection.

White gold S***e gold.

Some feel uncomfortable wearing a yellow gold watch, they’d call it showy or jingle jangle but that’s just about insecurities, best bet is do what you want.

Has the yellow gold sub been going up in prices? - am on the lookout for one myself currently. Looking for one with the nipple dial.

- - - Updated - - -

This beaut arrived today!

That looks amazing, congrats!

It’s white gold

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Has the yellow gold sub been going up in prices? - am on the lookout for one myself currently. Looking for one with the nipple dial.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks amazing, congrats!
    It’s white gold

Craftsman
    It’s white gold

Sorry, was meant to be referencing Belligero's post about the yellow gold sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Sorry, was meant to be referencing Belligero's post about the yellow gold sub.
    Ah, yeah sorry

Did you trade ? Or add watch. It’s beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I traded....8 hours on and I’m wondering if I should’ve opted for the yellow gold version or wether I should send back....get my BLNR back and opt for a ss skydweller

Master
    I traded....8 hours on and I’m wondering if I should’ve opted for the yellow gold version or wether I should send back....get my BLNR back and opt for a ss skydweller

Most Rolex are out of my price range, but if I had the choice I would keep that WG model you have, it looks fantastic IMO

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I have both the white gold Submariner plus the yellow gold version. The white gold version is the better watch IMHO. The SS skydweller is not for me so swappingto that might lead to even more remorse

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I have both the white gold Submariner plus the yellow gold version. The white gold version is the better watch IMHO. The SS skydweller is not for me so swappingto that might lead to even more remorse
    I just shrank my collection down to an aqua terra:
    And my new white gold sub:

....and I ,think I’m feeling somewhat remorseful bearing in mind that blue sub has in effect become my daily wearer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The blue sub just hasn’t grown on me so I’ve finally settled for:an LN

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro