closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Facebook or Twitter acc. Am I missing out?

Phew, thought I was pretty much alone on never having a farcebook or twatter account glad to see I am in the company of other gentleman ( and ladies )

Sadly I suspect that at some point in the future it will become a necessity to have your life open on many social media platforms but until that day I am happy to stay a luddite.

I use FB a fair bit, can't say I've had particularly bad experiences except discovering that some of my friends are borderline UKIP members, which was very disappointing.

Twitter I don't worry about, although i do have an account created years ago because someone at work said it was important to be on it in the line of work I was in.

I looked for a few days and couldn't see any value in it, I still can't.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post

Sadly I suspect that at some point in the future it will become a necessity to have your life open on many social media platforms but until that day I am happy to stay a luddite.
    Just letting you know that you can actually use social media without ever actually saying/writing/liking/posting anything.

Believe it or not they don't hold your eyes open and make you watch endless cat memes until they bleed when you sign up despite plenty of people doing this.

I don't need to see what sandwich you're eating at this very moment unless lm sat opposite you eating in the same cafe.
    I don't care about your gym habits - l go to the gym to graft, not to tell other people l attended.

And really crap "inspirational" quotes are possibly the most demotivating things in the whole world...

Nobody has 300 friends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Twitter is good for up to the minute news/travel, or to follow sports.
    News websites are quite capable of doing this already (1/3)

without the need to confirm to a silly character limit (2/3)

Making the whole thing look stupid or alternatively lacking any detail (3/3)

:)

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    News websites are quite capable of doing this already (1/3)

without the need to confirm to a silly character limit (2/3)

Making the whole thing look stupid or alternatively lacking any detail (3/3)

:)
    Twitter generally beats news websites by a good (>10 min) margin for most significant events.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I am Ned Ludd.

Craftsman
    Personally I just dont get Twitter - although its good for expediting a response out of a company

I would think your life is probably enriched without Facebook...

I accept that there can be a valid case for using Twitter, but Facebook is utterly pathetic. On Twitter I mostly enjoy pictures of cats, dogs, people complaining about their ailments, fibromyalgia etc, but the rest is rubbish. I've had particularly good experiences discovering that some of my friends are borderline UKIP members, which was very exciting.

... but seriously. I don't have a TV, and even when I did have access I would find the news out on Twitter much faster (and usually without the BBC bias) than the telly. Twitter is like living your life in an almost constant state of deja vu with the same thing being repeated, usually by the same people. Faceache I have no experience of, but I often find things out at work, that others have known for weeks, late in the day. Local stuff, births, deaths, marriages, business closures, orca sightings, etc.

Giving up the TV licence was easy, yet BBC TV Licensing still write to me monthly, and have done for over 20 years. Twitter wouldn't be hard to give up. I don't read newspapers, not even the local rag. I live on a remote island and have little idea of what is going on in the real world, which means I am not getting bombarded with ads for the latest must have thing.

Just look on social media as being there for the benefit of the peole selling the advertising, much the same as newspapers and magazines, and you won't be far wrong.
    Last edited by Templogin; 15th January 2018 at 08:46.

Always refer to Facebook as vaguely know book. A great way to get in touch with old friends and remember why you lost touch.

Master
    Really dislike the concept of Facebook, so no account.

Twitter I think has it's place. It's really useful for local news - for example a local wildlife group mentions sightings, which can be good if you're interested to see pine marten or such like. But like Facebook it's VERY high noise and rather small signal....

Without Facebook, how would our friends know that we got a new kettle at the weekend ? The photo my wife put up this morning was amazing ( ffs )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    I feel so much better for pairing my FB friends down to 10, as when I thought about it, I only wanted people on there I was friends with in real life.

I always roll my eyes a little when I see people with 500 - 1000 + friends, and posting things just for 'likes'.

I had a twitter account a long time ago but never seemed to click with it - I only use twitter for Man United team sheet announcements and transfers nowadays

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I’m on neither FB or Twitter. We’re not missing anything 
    Me either.
    I did suspect that but it's good to have confirmation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Phew, thought I was pretty much alone on never having a farcebook or twatter account glad to see I am in the company of other gentleman ( and ladies )

I think at some point in the not too distant future NOT having a social media account will cause alerts to authorities that you (many of us!!) are some sort of subversive that needs kept an eye on....

Blog Entries
    I’m only on FB because some family use Messenger. Do use it for some organisations I belong to. Twatter. come on.

I found my Nokia 6110 in the attic yesterday. May switch to that instead of buying an CCX-phone