closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: trousers-jeans dilema on ebay

Craftsman

trousers-jeans dilema on ebay

Hello,

I found myself in a dispute on ebay regarding a pair of trousers sold there.
    I'm the seller and I did advertise them as 32" (ebay standard size) and 32R in the description.
    The buyer then opened a return after about 3 weeks, complaining about being the wrong size (36") therefore were listed incorrectly ?! He measured them up around the waistband and they're are 37" (94cm) !
    The trouble is, I'm a 32R in waist and I've always been ! I therefore measured up another 3 different pair of 32"/32R trousers/jeans at home and they all are 94cm!
    If I google what 32" is in cm for trousers, the standard size is 81cm. In all fairness, a pair of trousers 32" from Next have the same size in cm mentioned on their label but when I measure them around the waistband, they come up as 94cm ?!

What on earth am I missing ?!

Thanks

You are missing the fact that they are vanity sizing. So if a true 32 buys them and they are really a 37 then they won’t fit.

Did you state they were 32” or that they were labelled as 32.

Id probably feel that your description wasn’t representative of the goods other wise. A bit like if I’d bought size 10 shoes, and although yours said 10 on them they were only a size 7, I’d be sending them back.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    They are 32 as well as all my 9ther trousers from home. If I measure them up, they're the same!
    They were labelled as 32R but so my other jeans/trousers from home. I even bought another pair from Next yesterday, they are labelled up as 32" but when I measure them up, they're 94cm (nearly 37"!)

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I've always been 32" but by the looks of it, they're measured up differently

No, you are not 32. You wear trousers labelled as 32R

Seriously?

How on earth does one buy and wear a pair of jeans that are labelled 5" less than your waist?

Lol!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does the label on the jeans say 32? If so, how is it your problem? You didn't make them!

Craftsman
    That's not good I'm a 36😂

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Does the label on the jeans say 32? If so, how is it your problem? You didn't make them!
    It’s his problem if he described them as having a 32” waist in the description. If he had simply stated they are a “whatever brand” labelled 32R then I think that’s slightly different. You could ask the brand what size each of their model trousers are. I wear 32, 34, and 36 Levi jeans, which are all the same size waist, but different model numbers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No, you are not 32. You wear trousers labelled as 32R
    If I'll go to ANY shop and ask for a pair of trousers/jeans, the sales person would ask me "What size are you ?", and I always say 32! Therefore, I only buy 32 size, they fit me very well... however, as discovered recently, I'm NOT 32 anymore ?!
    Last edited by kokolino23; 13th January 2018 at 01:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Of course the label said 32W, the pictures were very clear as well... and that's how I described them. How can I list them as a different size than what they are ?!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s his problem if he described them as having a 32” waist in the description. If he had simply stated they are a “whatever brand” labelled 32R then I think that’s slightly different. You could ask the brand what size each of their model trousers are. I wear 32, 34, and 36 Levi jeans, which are all the same size waist, but different model numbers.
    What ?! If you go to a Levi store and pick a 32,34 and 36 jeans, are they all the same ?! Really ?!

Is this Mumsnet?

Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    If I'll go to ANY shop and ask for a pair of trousers/jeans, the sales person would ask me "What size are you ?", and I always say 32! Therefore, I only buy 32 size, they fit me very well... however, as discovered recently, I'm NOT 32 anymore ?!
    Possibly not...instead of measuring the trousers use the tape to measure yourself.

Jeans sit lower and tend to go in for more vanity sizing, but trousers should be fairly accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    As you can see from my pics, I've got 2 pair of trousers measured up there. If you google 32" trousers, they should be 81cm but they're actually 94cm ?!

Master
    It probably depends on whether they are supposed to sit around your waist or these low slung ones half way down your ass. They will give the waist size (32) but they will be larger since they sit round the hips.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

32" jeans fit me perfectly - I only buy 501's so cant comment on other brands.

Trousers are a bit hit and miss - some 32" ones are fine, others a little too tight. Probably because they sit higher - Simon Cowell style.

Master
    Surly your measuring them around the outside of the material, the inside is the bit that goes around you waist. Does this not increase the size- if they were made Of say thick cord the measurement would increase but the 'waste size' would still be the same -
    I could never go between 32 and 36 - maybe 34 and 36
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Proper-Gui...8623897/g.html
    Last edited by lewie; 13th January 2018 at 08:44.

Blog Entries
    Cannot get my head round this thread were the trs labelled 32? if so they are the size advertised you do not measure waist size on the outside of the trs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Cannot get my head round this thread were the trs labelled 32? if so they are the size advertised you do not measure waist size on the outside of the trs
    Of course they were labelled 32, I did mention this already. But the buyer says they're 36" ?! Therefore not listed/advertised corectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    32" jeans fit me perfectly - I only buy 501's so cant comment on other brands.

Trousers are a bit hit and miss - some 32" ones are fine, others a little too tight. Probably because they sit higher - Simon Cowell style.
    But maybe you’re a 34” waist?

Jeans usually fit larger than labelled size.

Is this thread a p***take? (Can’t really tell here).

If your waist is 32”, and you had a pair of kecks exactly 32” (especially when flattened), they’d be unfeasibly tight. Of course they have to be bigger to allow them to get around your waist, fold a little, allow you to breathe etc.

Of course they were labelled 32, I did mention this already. But the buyer says they're 36" ?! Therefore not listed/advertised corectly.
    Tell him to boil his head.
    If they're labelled '32', they're '32'. The actual dimensions of garments never matches the 'size', always bigger and there's bound to be variance. Unless you stated actual dimensions, they are as described.
    Obviously Ebay are likely to side with the buyer as it seems to be their default position but, until they do, tell him to boil his head.

If I'm listing jeans on eBay I'll always give all the actual measurements – hem width, inside leg, across the waist, across the thigh – as well as the label size. There's no come back then.

Jeans all change size over time, some more than others depending on denim, manufacture, washing methods, etc.

I would put this down to experience and accept the return because you won't win the case – you're the seller and eBay doesn't like sellers

I have some 501's that are labelled 32" waist and are the same size as my others that are 34"

I wear them when I am feeling low, added bonus is the label on the outside for confirmation when I tell everyone I am a 32" waist, i tuck on those days

When not feeling insecure I just wear the 34's and untuck

On a similar note i am a 'S' in saltrock and I wear that jumper inside-out, on the one hand it displays the size but added bonus is it hides the embroidered label on the outside

So basically what I am trying to say is this, in future take your old clothes to a charity shop

I bought some Diesel jeans from House of Fraser size 34/32. I never wore them for months later and tried them on but the waist was miles too big. I measured the waist at 38"!! Too late to take them back. had to get them altered.

Grand Master
    The buyer’s obviously not happy and for whatever reason the trousers are bigger than the labels suggest.

Best advice is to simply take them back and don’t argue. Relist them, measuring the actual size with a tape measure and stating the information.

How would you feel if you’d bought something that was too big? An element if goodwill on the OP’s part resolves this easily.

Paul

Craftsman
    The buyer bought and sold various sizes, I can see that going through his feedback history. He also opened a case 3 weeks after receiving them. That's not the real point of this thread anyway. If I sold them here I would've been more than happy to take them back.
    What winds me up is his complain about not being described corectly?! How can I list them as a different size if they're 32, labelled up as 32 and match with all my other pairs (also 32!) ?!

What ?! If you go to a Levi store and pick a 32,34 and 36 jeans, are they all the same ?! Really ?!
    Yes really. All the different model numbers in Levi jeans fit differently!

The buyer bought and sold various sizes, I can see that going through his feedback history. He also opened a case 3 weeks after receiving them. That's not the real point of this thread anyway. If I sold them here I would've been more than happy to take them back.
    What winds me up is his complain about not being described corectly?! How can I list them as a different size if they're 32, labelled up as 32 and match with all my other pairs (also 32!) ?!

We are going round in circles here.

Did you provide measurements within your description that stated the trousers were 32" around the waist?

Craftsman
    Yes

This is all to do with the cut of the jeans. Most people do not wear trousers/jeans on the waist (think Simon Cowell), but much lower on the top of the hip. The “vanity” sizing mentioned earlier Is actually a bit of “guess work”, and if you measure around where you actually wear your jeans, you’re probably 36-37”.

Back to the comment on Levi’s; different cuts will place the waistband lower and higher (my 510s sit much lower than my 501s), then factor seat (fitted vs anti-fit), thigh, and taper (if there is one) and you have a minefield when “Blind” buying.

With regards to eBay, I would say that you are under no obligation to accept a return, as you stated they were 32R (unless you said the actually measured 32”), however; due to the hassle it could cause, I would accept a “good will” return, if the buyer paid the postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    With regards to eBay, I would say that you are under no obligation to accept a return, as you stated they were 32R (unless you said the actually measured 32”), however; due to the hassle it could cause, I would accept a “good will” return, if the buyer paid the postage.
    Unless he's a business seller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A Total no win situation,avoid the hassle just take them back.

The problem is that the buyer is clearly a complete idiot, who doesn't realise the 32" is his waist size, rather than the actual measurement around the waist of the jeans, which as I said, by the laws of physics, needs to be bigger than the thing they are to be worn around i.e. they are jeans sized to fit a 32" waist.

Get him to measure some of his other jeans and send you a picture of ones that are 32".

Master
    If I bought 32" jeans, I would expect them to measure more than 32", but certainly not 37"!
    Accept the return, ebay will find in the buyers favour anyway, and provide a few actual measurements next time.

Craftsman
    Just an update on this, ebay decided in my favor as a seller.
    That's not why I've asked your opinion here anyway, it's unclear to me why the trousers/jeans are sold as 32" when they're in fact much bigger than that. Regardless if they're being worn to the waist or hip...

Master
    Generally I find belts are sized correctly and trousers aren't. So buy a belt that is supposed to be the same as your trouser size and most times it is too small

Just an update on this, ebay decided in my favor as a seller.
    That's not why I've asked your opinion here anyway, it's unclear to me why the trousers/jeans are sold as 32" when they're in fact much bigger than that. Regardless if they're being worn to the waist or hip...
    Have a look at where the waist is measured, versus where jeans actually sit. They're different!

So you're buying a product to fit a 32" waist. That doesn't mean they'll measure 32", especially when measured from the outside.

Ask the buyer if he's measured the actual waistband of all his other 32inch labeled waist trousers....... Anyway, it's hardly a dilemma, just refund him and take the jeans back,

Master
    That's good news, nice to know they find in favour of the seller occasionally.
    But still a good idea to provide actual measurements also, potentially saves a lot of hassle later.

The 'waist' measurement on modern trousers is fairly theoretical/hypothetical, as that specific measurement should be taken above the navel & below the rib-cage.

Most modern trousers sit nowhere near there, but on top of the hips.

https://www.tailorstore.co.uk/mens-b...asurements.pdf
    ______

​Jim.

Another factor is that some jeans shrink on washing. So '32' could be the final size.