closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should the watch matter?

Should the watch matter?

So earlier this week I was travelling from Newcastle to London on the train for work and I noticed that the guy sat next to me had a Navitimer on. I was wearing my Aquaracer chrono and ummed and ahhed about saying "nice watch". I didn't....I'm sure we've all had the thought!

Anyway - I then noticed that the centre chrono hand was "ticking" and my estimation of him dropped immediately. Firstly, am I wrong to think bad of a person because they had s honky watch on, secondly does anyone else do this?!?

Craftsman
    I keep the centre chrono hand running sometimes, just because I feel like it.

Perhaps it was quartz?
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Bad man.....you don't know why he had it running, people time stuff. You have presumed he just let it run and was not actually using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Bad man.....you don't know why he had it running, people time stuff. You have presumed he just let it run and was not actually using it.
    I think the assumption was that it was a fake because of the ticking.

Sorry - to be clear it was a ticking centre hand, not a sweeping centre hand. ie - a quartz knock off

I think "we" judge because we wouldn't go near a fake but that in a way is because we know what else better can be had but to many it is just "a bit of fun" and whilst I don't agree with fakes for many watches are simply not very important.

I must admit my attitutude has changed a bit and I still detest people who "up badge" their cars and I feel much the same about fakes I do see how people who don't care buy them on holiday as they like the look/think they are funny.

This is very different from people who try to make "replicas" as close as possible to the real thing and spend loads on them. Whilst I can understand the "hobby" aspect I do feel these "high end fakes" are intended to deceive and as such are no longer "fun" and can potentially be used for fraudulent purposes as well as trying to pretend you own something you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    So earlier this week I was travelling from Newcastle to London on the train for work

As long as you weren't in First Class - In which case, you had a social duty to report him to the guard.

They did/do make quartz Chronograph Tag's that tick.

Master
    The centre hand does tick, doesn’t it!

Could it have been the Rotary homage to the Navitimer?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    They did/do make quartz Chronograph Tag's that tick.
    The Navitimer was ticking, as in a quartz ticking. Not the usual sub dial, the main chrono second hand.

If the person is a stranger, then I don’t care as everyone’s priorities in life are different. However if it is someone I know and I suddenly discovered that he/she knowingly wears a fake, then my impression of him/her will definitely be lower. Maybe a bit double standards but I honestly don’t want to be associated with people who wear fakes knowingly and try to pass it off as the real thing.
    Last edited by PhiloStan; 12th January 2018 at 21:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    That was my first thought too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    If the person is a stranger, then I don’t care as everyone’s priorities in life are different. However if it is someone I know and I suddenly discovered that he/she knowingly wears a fake, then my impression of him/her will definitely be lower. Maybe a bit double standards but I honestly don’t want to be associated with people who wear fakes knowingly and try to pass it off as the real thing.
    PhiloStan, my thoughts too except I take perhaps a slightly stronger line. A stranger on the train and you want to wear a fake - that's your call, I won't respect you for it but you're not directly harming me so I won't waste my time giving you a second thought. But a friend, a work colleague...you just slipped majorly in my good opinion. Trust is important in any relationship and if someone is so vain, so snobbish, so insecure that they'd fake their wealth to impress others (and be willing to support criminal enterprises that also engage in people trafficking and forced prostitution)...what else are they willing to hide or deceive over to avoid the perceived risk of criticism or embarrassment? Little tells like this sometimes conceal bigger character flaws in my experience.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

The Navitimer was ticking, as in a quartz ticking. Not the usual sub dial, the main chrono second hand.
    Yep - the main chronograph hand on the quartz Chronograph versions tick.

I surprised a guy at work this week by asking him if he knows how to use the circular slide rule on his Navitimer. He surprised me even more by saying that yes he does and has used it for fun. He said nobody has ever commented on his watch and was chuffed that I not only recognised it but knew what all the numbers are for. I was inpressed since he is a 30 year old youngster. He is an accountant though.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    As long as you weren't in First Class - In which case, you had a social duty to report him to the guard.
    Haha, but it is indeed the truth that the snob here is actually the fake wearer, who wishes to project an aura of wealth and social superiority that they possibly do not posess.

The BP shows that not wearing fakes is no guarantee of nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    PhiloStan, my thoughts too except I take perhaps a slightly stronger line. A stranger on the train and you want to wear a fake - that's your call, I won't respect you for it but you're not directly harming me so I won't waste my time giving you a second thought. But a friend, a work colleague...you just slipped majorly in my good opinion. Trust is important in any relationship and if someone is so vain, so snobbish, so insecure that they'd fake their wealth to impress others (and be willing to support criminal enterprises that also engage in people trafficking and forced prostitution)...what else are they willing to hide or deceive over to avoid the perceived risk of criticism or embarrassment? Little tells like this sometimes conceal bigger character flaws in my experience.

I think you can read too much into it. I've a school friend who 20 years ago had loads of fake watches which he used to pick up on various holidays. He loved them, and I know he still wears a fake Planet Ocean. He's tight and just can't fathom why anyone would spend thousands of pounds on a watch.

His dad, brother, and many of our friends have some nice watches, and have often talked about the subject, yet he still would never part with a large sum of money for one. I don't judge him for it. I don't trust him any less. He's not out to deceive anyone, nor is it about trying to impress others, he likes them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I think you can read too much into it. I've a school friend who 20 years ago had loads of fake watches which he used to pick up on various holidays. He loved them, and I know he still wears a fake Planet Ocean. He's tight and just can't fathom why anyone would spend thousands of pounds on a watch.

His dad, brother, and many of our friends have some nice watches, and have often talked about the subject, yet he still would never part with a large sum of money for one. I don't judge him for it. I don't trust him any less. He's not out to deceive anyone, nor is it about trying to impress others, he likes them.
    Fair enough. Not everyone is trying to be the big man and people wear fakes for all sorts of reasons. I've just seen enough people with fakes over the years to form a general impression that very often they are trying to project an image at odds with how they are really perceived due to their other personality traits, especially when you have time to scratch the surface. But I agree one shouldn't far everyone with the same brush.

Nevertheless I find outright fakes distasteful and I refuse to accept they are harmless to society, and anyone who thinks it's just fun is naive to the realities of the criminal enterprises who operate at the production and distribution. If you think Apple, Wal-Mart and others may have had poor working conditions in some factories, do you think factories turning out counterfeit products are paragons of good practice for their child labour in virtual slavery? Are their supply chains geared to at least complying with laws on workers rights? Does the money they launder get turned into at least some tax to pay for public institutions and social care instead of massive wealth for those at the top? And does that same money stay only in counterfeit good productiom or are those same criminals interested also in such charming industries as people trafficking and forced prostitution?

At least publicly listed companies and their boards can be held to account, even if they too can be found guilty of disgusting complacency and even exploitation of labour.

Sorry to get moralistic but I feel quite strongly about this. What's the story of abject human suffering behind your friend's fun, cheap watches?

Craftsman
    This thread has given me an early morning chuckle. I suspect the problem is with the 'judger' rather than 'judgee'. I learnt long, long ago not to assess or judge people on a material basis ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Yep - the main chronograph hand on the quartz Chronograph versions tick.
    There are no Quartz versions of the Navitimer Chrono as the OP describes it (with subdials)

LE : I stand corrected. There was the Navitimer Jupiter Pilot that was Quartz and had subdials :

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...timer_134.html

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...timer_135.html
    Last edited by asteclaru; 13th January 2018 at 10:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    This thread has given me an early morning chuckle. I suspect the problem is with the 'judger' rather than 'judgee'. I learnt long, long ago not to assess or judge people on a material basis ;)
    Unfortunately, right or wrong, it is part of the human condition to categorize. Everything we do, say, or wear adds to the impression we give others.

A "blonde" lady wearing track suit bottoms barged in front of me this morning to grab her copies of the Mail and the Sun. I'm afraid she became a "judgee" without my even having looked at her watch.

Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    There are no Quartz versions of the Navitimer Chrono as the OP describes it (with subdials)

LE : I stand corrected. There was the Navitimer Jupiter Pilot that was Quartz and had subdials :

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...timer_134.html

http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch...timer_135.html
    I was only offering a possible alternative. We all jump to conclusions, but just sometimes it’s not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Or a Sekonda?

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Unfortunately, right or wrong, it is part of the human condition to categorize. Everything we do, say, or wear adds to the impression we give others.

A "blonde" lady wearing track suit bottoms barged in front of me this morning to grab her copies of the Mail and the Sun. I'm afraid she became a "judgee" without my even having looked at her watch.
    I read that as you having made a behavioural, rather than materialistic, judgement ;) :)

I can confirm that the watch wasn't the quartz version, not was it a rotary / sekonda.... Perhaps it was just me that's a fault for judging a complete stranger who might actually have zero interest in watches and have been given it is a present!

I can confirm that the watch wasn't the quartz version, not was it a rotary / sekonda.... Perhaps it was just me that's a fault for judging a complete stranger who might actually have zero interest in watches and have been given it is a present!
    No, it’s not just you. It was a stranger and we use a number of criteria to weigh up a situation in seconds. Our brains take in so much stimuli in that type of situation, but then you noticed the watch wasn’t right and decided not to strike up a onversstion about watches - which was probably a good call.