closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlarged Liver

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Lots of threads on here about different beers, spirits, wines etc that are always well populated but I can never join in them anymore.

Found I had a borderline fatty liver during a health MOT four years or so ago so gave up there and then.

Difficult at first to break the habit of a drink or three in the evening but after a week the spell was broken.

Had a couple of glasses of Champagne at Christmas but was careful to leave it at that.

TBH I don't feel any healthier now than I did then but health must come first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    If I can ask, did you find at subsequent health MOTs that the borderline fatty liver had improved?
    Funnily enough I had a health MOT just before Christmas and everything came back normal.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Blog Entries
    Funnily enough I had a health MOT just before Christmas and everything came back normal.
    Good to hear you'll be around for some to to come Neil :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Good to hear you'll be around for some to to come Neil :)
    Thanks Rich, you won't get rid of me that easily!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Cool, that's really great to read!

We often hear of health problems, but not so many people post that they've recovered, and always nice to read a positive, as well as hear what worked

This is a powerful thread that resonates with me.

I had already lined up a month off booze from the 20th Jan (this Saturday) to 20th Feb (when I go to Japan skiing). I hope to take the lessons learnt there on to make lifestyle changes going forward and seriously reduce my alcohol intake.

I've attended too many funerals of friends who never considered themselves to be alcohol dependent - but fact is they were - and it killed them prematurely. What I object to is managers who are unknowingly alcohol dependent and who get sloshed every weekend .. and then arrive at work on Monday morning (sometimes Saturday morning) in an obviously post-inebriate state and unfit to manage. If you want respect, consider quitting the booze completely. Livers cannot tolerate excess alcohol. Listen to the slurred speech of heavy drinkers … even when relatively sober their speech is affected. Many drinkers consider themselves to be healthy and unaffected by the booze … but they are slowly bringing about their premature demise.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    A difficult subject for me as I'm coming to the end of divorce proceedings having lived with a heavy drinker for 20 years and finally reached the point where I could take no more. Love/loved her more than I can say but she just refused to face up to her problems.

Aside from the obvious potential health issues, the mood swings, aggression and black outs made life unbearable. Through some sort of 'stockholm syndrome' you almost accept it as normal. I've always suffered from chronic hangovers so have always avoided excessive drinking, often as the designated driver. I like a drink but know the effects it can have.

Also now approaching 50, I'm like a few others on here who have a change in lifestyle associated with middle age. Drink can become an outlet and I'm not going down that route.

Well done to all those that are heeding the medical advice and also to those that fell they need to address their intake for general well being; especially the OP for starting the thread.

I read a eulogy for a former GF at her funeral earlier this year. She'd been alcohol dependent for over 25 years and her mood swings when drunk caused mayhem. She died in tragic circumstances (drowned) and the heartache her death caused will never go away. Two eulogies read at her funeral only referred to her 'demons' and depression; we emphasised her caring loving side and skills - we did not mention the consequences of her 'demons' which included her being abandoned/disowned by her family because of all the grief and ££expense her addiction and behaviours caused. I tried to help her by attending open, family AA meetings, with her but they were a waste of time; after the meetings she would say, "Can we go for a drink now?" Her situation was hopeless; drink was always the No. 1 priority in her life; she could not function without it. Unfortunately during a drinking session there was invariably an alcohol threshold reached which turned her from being a charming jovial attractive lady into a vindictive ogress. When attending 'open' AA meetings with her I witnessed the confessions of those with liver problems and their tearful 'clenched hands' prayers and thanks to God that they had found AA. AA works for some but for others it does not. Some alcoholics are lucky enough not to suffer personal physical consequences of their drinking e.g. liver and other organ failures. Another friend suffered an agonising death caused by alcohol related total organ failure; he was 'dried out' in hospital several times costing the NHS £'000s - but always commenced drinking again when allowed home. He never thought his life would spiral downwards to become a multiple-stroke victim incapable of walking and attending to his personal needs … dependant on visiting carers to change his incontinence pads. The booze always won. One of my neighbours is an alcoholic and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to assist him walking from his taxi to his front door when he arrived home totally incapable. He has not worked regularly for years and has mobility problems - when walking his 'steps' are not co-ordinated … a stumbling unsteady walk …but somehow he manages to cycle. He was sent to prison for drink-drive offences. Police helicopters have searched for his car when he's been reported drink driving with subsequent arrest which likely prevented injury to himself and others. Some alcoholics never realise that they are addicted and would never ever admit to being 'alcoholic' … but if they need more than a few drinks every day they likely are alcohol dependent.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 17th January 2018 at 10:59.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    I've stopped drinking at home unless we are having a party with guests. I also enjoy a drink with a good meal when dining out. Stopping to drink on my own at home has cut down my alcohol consumption significantly.

I've never been a big drinker, but I noticed that less than a bottle of wine on a Friday evening affected my next morning more and more as I've gotten older. I also have small kids and like to enjoy my days off with them without feeling the drink from the previous night. I've now had this system for more than a year and it's working well for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm not one for addictions, used to smoke on saturdays when sitting in my (smoke filled) local, and quit when I decided that was nonsense.

I never ever feel the effects of my (late night) wine, always the same amount and quietely enjoying it.

I don't know how much you have to drink before you get "slurred" speech, but that must be a lot.

No I'm not saying alcohol is healthy and everybody should try it, but if you are in control of yourself and not sensitive to addictions it's also something that can be enjoyed.

Seeing what people are throwing in their shopping trollies to eat, that to must help getting them an early grave.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!