closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X3 or Q5 ?

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

X3 or Q5 ?

Ok so her indoors is handing company car in next month, we are buying our own, max 24 months old, she likes to be sat high and likes german cars ! we have narrowed it to a BMW X3 or an Audi Q5, could poss go for an X1 but need to check size.

Anyone has any opinions experience of either on here ?

Ian

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I had a Q5 a few years ago (2014 IIRC). It was the 3.0tdi Quattro S-Line+, with a few extras like Bang and Olufsen etc. Bit of an impulse buy when my wife went away for the weekend but that’s another story!

In short, we loved it. We’d had a fair few Audi’s before, but the Q5 was the pick of the bunch. We also like the high driving position, but it handled very well too. Super comfortable, quiet, quick, economical, a great all rounder.

We are seriously considering getting another one next year, but will probably end up with a Q7 for the extra space.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Also to compare, we had a new X5 M for a while, but always preferred the Audi interior. The new ones are lovely.

Q5 is just a VW in a shell suit.
    Get the Bimmer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Q5 is just a VW in a shell suit.
    Get the Bimmer.
    which VW is it pretending to be ? tiguan ?

Had the X3 albeit a very well equipped one, really liked it, went well, very comfortable.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Q5 wins on looks alone or if you can push the boat out a bit, Porsche Macan (same platform)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Q5 wins on looks alone or if you can push the boat out a bit, Porsche Macan (same platform)
    Looked at the Macan , not sure its worth the extra dosh TBH, paying for the Porker badge !

Craftsman
    I've driven bmw for the last 25 years but out of those two models, I'd choose the Audi. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69 View Post
    Looked at the Macan , not sure its worth the extra dosh TBH, paying for the Porker badge !
    I’d definitely recommend getting test drives in the Q5 and the Macan for comparison. We were looking to buy a Q5 but were blown a way by the Macan when we did.
    They are very different to drive and dependinging on spec / and taking into account residuals the Porsche is not necessarily more expensive.

have you considered the Mercedes GLC? wife preferred it over the Q5 and got one last year and so far so good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I had a Q5 a few years ago (2014 IIRC). It was the 3.0tdi Quattro S-Line+, with a few extras like Bang and Olufsen etc. Bit of an impulse buy when my wife went away for the weekend but that’s another story!

In short, we loved it. We’d had a fair few Audi’s before, but the Q5 was the pick of the bunch. We also like the high driving position, but it handled very well too. Super comfortable, quiet, quick, economical, a great all rounder.

We are seriously considering getting another one next year, but will probably end up with a Q7 for the extra space.

Hope that helps

Father in law had 2 Q5s back to back and loved them. He currently has the X3 and hates it (he really dislikes the interior).

New Q5 is just lovely. I’d still have the older model over the X3 though
    It's just a matter of time...

Just test drive both, take it from there...

Test drove both and the Volvo XC60. To be honest we liked all three but found the Volvo a bit more comfortable (seats/suspension) and when it came to the crunch it was considerably cheaper.

Master
    Have only test driven them but if echo the comments about the XC60. The Audi and BMW just seemed too small for what they were trying to be to me. The new xc40 might be an even cheaper option too.

Craftsman
    I've had three Q7's great motors and the Q5 is a nice bit of kit and looks well.
    The X3 to me just doesn't look right.
    But as someone else said , look at the Volvo XC range lovely car.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I tried the new x3 yesterday and it was a great drive. A lot better than the previous version and lookwise better as well. As it’s new though the deals aren’t very good. Give it a few months and they should be.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    Father in law had 2 Q5s back to back and loved them. He currently has the X3 and hates it (he really dislikes the interior).
    I was very surprised by the interior of the X5, the whole thing just did nothing for me at all, despite being a great drive and nice enough looking car. Underwhelming is a mild term for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Same platform but in a completely different league. Although you do pay for it.

Craftsman
    I’m on my second Q5, and would deffo have another. Both mine have been the 2 litre S Line+.
    First one I had for 3 years, 80k miles and all it had before p/x was 3 x services, 1 set of tyres and 1 set of front brake pads. Second one is looking like the same reliability, currently on 48k, had 2 services and 2 new tyres up to now.
    Had a look on Audi’s website, the new Q5 interior looks smart, you’ve got me thinking now !!!

Grand Master
    I briefly test drove both, along with RR Evoque, Merc, VW Tourang etc and walked away favouring The Volvo XC60
    RIAC

Master
    I test drove everything in that class and bought a new petrol SQ5. Very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I briefly test drove both, along with RR Evoque, Merc, VW Tourang etc and walked away favouring The Volvo XC60
    This is what I'd be doing. For me It would be a choice between the Q5 or the XC60, nothing wrong with the BMW, just I prefer a little more comfort when driving those extra miles.

A mate of mine picked me up in his 2017 q5 on Friday.

The interior was fantastic and made me immediately want to get back in an Audi (had a Golf GTE hybrid that I’ve disliked hugely since 2015 after 4 Audi’s)

The Q5 is going to be high on my list come change time in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69 View Post
    TBH, that’s how I feel about the Q5, I’d rather a VW Touareg or possibly even the new 7 seater Skoda 4x4 thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not keen on these sort of vehicles, but the X3 has great seats!

M

Older Q5 had certain standard issues that audi was sponsoring to fix. On certain engines
    Make sure you check that out

I have the brand new X5 on hire at the mo as the Evoque is in under warranty for a minor issue

If the X3 is anywhere near as good then it’s the winner

I’ve had lots of Audi’s and all have had reliability issues
    Every single one

The q5 doesn’t do it for me even in sQ5 form

Also.... both bmw and audi only offer one year warranty in approve used stock - LR give two on everything and I’d be pushing for two years worry free with either

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    the Evoque is in under warranty for a minor issue
    What's the warranty issue with the Evoque out of curiosity ?

Craftsman
    Anyone tried the RR Velar yet?

Master
    Tried the q5 and f pace but chose a glc over them

- - - Updated - - -

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    Anyone tried the RR Velar yet?
    I went to see one the other week. Lovely car, felt more like a car than a large 4x4, certainly closer to Evoque proportions rather than Sport size.

The interior was certainly very modern, all big touch screens etc. We’re tempted but the boot is about an inch too small for our dog crates! (And the Q7 seems more car for the money)

I went to see one the other week. Lovely car, felt more like a car than a large 4x4, certainly closer to Evoque proportions rather than Sport size.

The interior was certainly very modern, all big touch screens etc. We’re tempted but the boot is about an inch too small for our dog crates! (And the Q7 seems more car for the money)

Made me smile. I remember taking our dog crate around various dealerships to test whether it fit. It didn’t fit in an Evoque which annoyed my wife but pleased me. Best fit was in the XC60 which we ended up buying.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Made me smile. I remember taking our dog crate around various dealerships to test whether it fit. It didn’t fit in an Evoque which annoyed my wife but pleased me. Best fit was in the XC60 which we ended up buying.
    Glad I’m not the only one! I tested it in the full range of vehicles at LR, decided the best fit was the full size Range Rover, sadly it’s a tad over budget!

We have two crates side by side, so a deep boot is essential, and it turns out the modern shape swooped boots are a nightmare. The crate barely fit in the RR Sport which I was surprised by!

We digress!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    What's the warranty issue with the Evoque out of curiosity ?
    Emissions valve stuck -,common fault easily dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post

- - - Updated - - -

How do you find the GLC?

I watched a head to head with those 3 yesterday, definitely the 3 I'm interested in.

Debating putting a deposit down on an i-pace although not sure I'm ready for full electric yet

Blog Entries
    I’m leaving Audi after 12 years and replacing my two year old Q7 with a XC90 R Design.

Since the Chinese taking over Volvo have come long long way to complete with the Germans. Have you considered the new XC60??

Pitch

Grand Master
    You will know when you’re in it. I found the GLC a bit flat.

RIAC

Craftsman
    I compared the X3 and Q5 last summer before buying... a Skoda Kodiaq. The Skoda is pretty much a Q5 in disguise but substantially cheaper. Having said that, if I was choosing now between the X3 and the Q5 I'd go with the X3, I just don't really get Audi interiors. I've been renting an X3 for the last two weeks for a skiing trip in Austria and it's been superb in some seriously snowy conditions. My last four cars before the Skoda were all BMWs and I do miss the responsiveness of the BMW. The Skoda has plenty power but it never feels that keen to really get going in the way that BMWs do.

Master
    Was a long-time BMW driver and tested the X3 when I last changed. It did nothing for me despite me wanting to like it, and I ended up with Audi. Not a huge fan of the Audi interiors and MMI system, but have got used to them. Overall of those two has been Audi for me, but a test drive should settle it.

Have a 2016 Q5 3.0 as our family car and had the 2.0d before that for 2 years before

As family cars they are fantastic, and our choice and we tried everything listed above (except the velar)

I am a BMW maniac but no matter how hard I’ve tried the former model x3 just never did it for me and I really tried all the models and even had an x4 for a day one weekend but hated the 2.0d engine in it

In my experience the two diesels 2.2 and even new 2.0 engines in the JLR cars are really quite poor compared to the german engines, even the 2.0d in the BMW and Audis which I don’t think is enough for a sports 4x4

theres the new 2.0 diesel coming for the mercs soon never been sure about the 2.2 engine been thinking about one next but not sure about the size comparison yet and have had that engine in an E class before

I’d agree though that the 3.0 v6 in the F pace is a proper power unit and more than matches the BMW and Audi equivalents I’ve had.

Did have a GLC 250d fully loadede as a rental in Germany last year and that was very nice, but somewhere between a jacked up estate and an SUV imho
    Last edited by de30m; 2nd August 2018 at 08:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    How do you find the GLC?

I watched a head to head with those 3 yesterday, definitely the 3 I'm interested in.

Debating putting a deposit down on an i-pace although not sure I'm ready for full electric yet
    for me the GLC is more stylish than an x3 or Q5 and to get an f pace that looks as good you have to spend a lot, you get more standard kit on the GLC and my amg styled one in dark navy and blacked trim looks better than almost any X3 or Q5 i have seen.

the only thing to note is that the F pace has a bigger boot and is a more imposing car in the flesh, the GLC masks its size

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post
    Have a 2016 Q5 3.0 as our family car and had the 2.0d before that for 2 years before

As family cars they are fantastic, and our choice and we tried everything listed above (except the velar)
    Having had a 2.0d and 3.0d Q5, would you ever go back to the 2.0d? We had a Q5 3.0d and wondering if we'd regret going back to a 2.0d if the boot was big enough..

Journeyman
    we have x3 and its proved excellent

john

Ian, buy a Q5, buy an Audi! Normally I would say buy a BMW for it's drive. But after the recent experiences I have had with buying a new Bmw M2 from Bmw Huddersfield. Never again.

In a comparison, I do think you get better level of technology, creature comfort for Audi. The Leather interior, the Sat Nav, Bose sound system, the climate control and it goes on.

BMW The ultimate driving machine is no more.

ismaaeel

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    TBH, that’s how I feel about the Q5, I’d rather a VW Touareg or possibly even the new 7 seater Skoda 4x4 thing.

I've just got a new Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line Plus (top of the range with all the toys) on an exceptional deal. I'm very impressed with it - drives great, powerful, clearly well screwed together and very comfortable. It has road presence without being flashy or ostentatious.

I wouldn't describe it as an exciting car ( I have something else for that), but just very capable.

It can even tow a 747 according to the Youtube videos. Which will undoubtedly come in handy.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Having had a 2.0d and 3.0d Q5, would you ever go back to the 2.0d? We had a Q5 3.0d and wondering if we'd regret going back to a 2.0d if the boot was big enough..
    I wouldn’t dismiss it in the new Q5 with the 190bhp 2l diesel, think the car is a little lighter too so not much between the old 3L and new 2L

We had the 177bhp one and I felt it was great for cruising good strong mid range and Great fuel range, a little too heavy for the same instant acceleration we get from the 256bhp 3.0 - but it did everything we wanted and only really upgraded because we got another brilliant deal from our local Audi dealer

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post
    I wouldn’t dismiss it in the new Q5 with the 190bhp 2l diesel, think the car is a little lighter too so not much between the old 3L and new 2L

We had the 177bhp one and I felt it was great for cruising good strong mid range and Great fuel range, a little too heavy for the same instant acceleration we get from the 256bhp 3.0 - but it did everything we wanted and only really upgraded because we got another brilliant deal from our local Audi dealer
    Really helpful, thanks very much indeed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    How do you find the GLC?

Before you part with your hard earned for a GLC, google GLC skipping issue. I nearly bought one in the Summer, but after reading about the issues with skipping and the right hand drive conversion, decided to pass. Not sure if they have now sorted it, but it wasn't in August