closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The watch you have always wanted but never owned

The watch you have always wanted but never owned

Is there a watch that you have always wanted but for some reason never bought? For me it is the standard Omega Speedmaster Pro. This is the watch that get me interested in watches about 20 years ago when, at the time, I was researching the space race. I bought myself a speedmaster date at the time because I thought the pro was a bit big for my skinny 21 year old wrist. 20 years later and I have still never owned one. I was close to getting one last year but talked myself out of it because I wasn't sure I could live with the manual wind. I'm sure I will get one some day though.

Hanhart Pioneer Mk I. Wanted one for years, but has to be new. Not particularly expensive (~£2K) but can never quite get the funds together.

Pic from Hanhart

Good question.
    With me it would be the Blancpain 50 Fathoms. That holds the sum of all that I regard as the epitome of watch design and engineering.
    There is no way that the position I occupy on the socio-economic scale would make such a purchase sensible, and I am a sensible person.
    I am happy to include a Seiko 5 Fifty Five Fathoms in my modest collection and that also fills the criteria of design excellence but with frugality added to the mix.

Coincidentally one of my rare forays into the world of the watch megapurchase was for a Speedmaster Professional; I endorse the OPs choice of heart's desire and consider it to be iconic.
    All this is highly subjective of course, as is my view of a Blancpain FF as being financially unattainable. Before anyone feels so sorry for me that they start a fund, I should point out that if I had reserved the money I have spent on support and research into the retail arm of the British brewing industry I could probably have bought the Blancpain factory, never mind a watch.

2 - 1969 zenith El primero trio colour and Glashutte Original panomaticlunar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm with you Sandman, the Speedmaster pro. I did get the money together after a few years but went with the Seamaster Chrono 2599.80 instead, it was a toss up between the two and this one did and still wins out.
    However, i still want the the Speedmaster but doubt i will have that money to spend on such a watch. Happy though, i have the Seamaster

Journeyman
    For me its a JLC Reverso, stainless steel with a plain back, so far I haven't come across one in the wild at the right time, when the fund is full enough. It doesn't help that the fund keeps getting used up on other pieces all the time - DOH!

Of the ones mentioned above, about the closest I can get is a MkII Speedy pro, I know its not a case shape that appeals to everyone but I love it, and the dial just commands attention every time I look at it

Blog Entries
    Lange 1 or PP 5127R.
    I cannot justify the cost of either of them!

Master
    Breitling Aerospace - Love it and hate it with equal measure.

Master

Easy one for me, the Patek 5146g.
    I tried one on about 10 years back in the jewellers whilst buying my wife’s wedding ring. Fast forward to about a year and a half ago and there was a beautiful example for sale on SC at a very reasonable price. I contacted the seller and went into the nearest Patek boutique to try one on again. Even the wife agreed that if I really wanted it I should buy it (as I said, it really was a very good price). The instant I strapped it on in the shop I was racked with feelings of self consciousness over the value of the thing. I have always been a ditherer, but even after 10 years of desire, for some reason my brain simply wouldn’t let me spend that kind of money on a watch all the time I had kids to feed clothe and put a roof over. And I just couldn’t see myself ever being comfortable wearing something of that value.
    The seller was most understanding and I hope it’s now gracing the wrist of someone who will appreciate it and give it the wrist time it deserves.
    All I have left is this picture of me in the Petek shop.☹️

Master
    Probably a forum favourite an Omega 2254.

Due to my OCD always wanted one but every one i looked at was too abused for me although i did track down a LNIB a few years ago but it was in Greece and i didn't pull the trigger.

I know someone on this forum who has one but says it's never for sale but never say never.

Journeyman
    Nothing quite as special as the watches posted here - but for me it's the Seiko MM SBDX013

Two of my favs on here already.

The Seamaster 2254 I got last Feb. On everyday until this week. Perfect all round watch. Sword hands are terrific.

The PP 5146G is a bit of a grail. Just like you Piemuncher, I've tried it on and just couldn't come to spend that much on even a used one. Mind you we waste that much regularly on disposable cars and never blink! Would perhaps be a more rational decision if I had kids to pass one on to.

Life's for living.......maybe this year.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Good question.
    Before anyone feels so sorry for me that they start a fund, I should point out that if I had reserved the money I have spent on support and research into the retail arm of the British brewing industry I could probably have bought the Blancpain factory, never mind a watch.

For me it would be a 1940s Universal Geneve Tri-Compax.
    It’s not out of reach, but would I really spend that sort of money on a watch I would be afraid to wear in the rain?

Master
    IWC 3536 Aquatimer Ti for me.

Tried one on in Harvey Nix in Manchester many years ago and I still think it's the best put together watch I've handled to date. Crown action was sublime and the locking bezel, the whole thing oozed quality. Alas, I could in no way afford it back then so it remained a bit of an enigma. Having said that, I now couldn't see myself going for one nowadays, prices are more than they're worth now IMO. Also, not confident with IWC servicing and very few independents will touch them.

Another one is the Bvlgari Scuba DP42, tried one on in Brent Cross ages ago and loved it but knew it would be worth roughly half what I'd end up paying for it as soon as I walked out the shop. Again, very limited in servicing options and for some reason can't see a Bvlgari service going without a hitch.

Oh well........

Master
    My list of watches like this is pretty long, but the top two are a 14060M and a 36mm Explorer 1. Every time I've gone to buy the Sub it's been "too expensive", including when I was offered a new AD sourced last of the line for $5,000. I didn't even think twice before saying "no" - stupid. Now I'll pay about 60% more to buy a used one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    IWC 3536 Aquatimer Ti for me.
    I owned the SS version. It was indeed superb compared to my Rolex collection - with one exception...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Crown action was sublime...
    Those fish crowns are anything but sublime over the long hall. The crown is vastly inferior to Rolex.

Master
    PPN and/or PPNC, well not yet anyway

Panerai Radiomir 8 days PAM00538 for me. Tried one on once but it was slightly too big for my wrists. Not cheap either and now I don't have the dosh for it what with buying a house. I still love it though. Maybe one day if I can get a wrist transplant.

I first hankered after an Aquanaut in 2006, long before they became fashionable. I still have the brochure from that time.

The reality as that the steel Aquanaut was the only PP I could stretch to and I liked that it was different. Dithered and the following year ended up buying a RG Reverso instead.

Considered it unfinished business and went on a list for the 5167 mid 2016. Got a call a couple of months later, which due to my useless phone didn't register as a missed call, or voice mail until weeks later - too late! I put it down as fate and a message to myself that it wasn't supposed to be, and perhaps confirming that I am not comfortable spending that amount on a watch.

However each time one appears on SC I still think maybe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Is there a watch that you have always wanted but for some reason never bought? For me it is the standard Omega Speedmaster Pro. This is the watch that get me interested in watches about 20 years ago when, at the time, I was researching the space race. I bought myself a speedmaster date at the time because I thought the pro was a bit big for my skinny 21 year old wrist. 20 years later and I have still never owned one. I was close to getting one last year but talked myself out of it because I wasn't sure I could live with the manual wind. I'm sure I will get one some day though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I'm with you Sandman, the Speedmaster pro. I did get the money together after a few years but went with the Seamaster Chrono 2599.80 instead, it was a toss up between the two and this one did and still wins out.
    However, i still want the the Speedmaster but doubt i will have that money to spend on such a watch. Happy though, i have the Seamaster
    I fully accept that it will take around £2k to buy a recent, minty, used Speedmaster and that's not an insignificant sum of money. However, for anyone unsure about spending that amount on a watch that may not live up to their expectations, I would point out that a standard Speedmaster must be one of the easiest watches to resell at the right price. If you can pick up one of the last 3750.50 (smaller red box c.2013/14) in close to mint, for no more than £2000 you will always be able to sell it quickly. About a year ago I was offered a 2014 for £1675 following a WTB on this forum, so it's certainly doable.

If I ever find it, I'll own it.

1016 Explorer.

Always wanted, never owned...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Good question.
    With me it would be the Blancpain 50 Fathoms. That holds the sum of all that I regard as the epitome of watch design and engineering.
    There is no way that the position I occupy on the socio-economic scale would make such a purchase sensible, and I am a sensible person.
    I am happy to include a Seiko 5 Fifty Five Fathoms in my modest collection and that also fills the criteria of design excellence but with frugality added to the mix.

Coincidentally one of my rare forays into the world of the watch megapurchase was for a Speedmaster Professional; I endorse the OPs choice of heart's desire and consider it to be iconic.
    All this is highly subjective of course, as is my view of a Blancpain FF as being financially unattainable. Before anyone feels so sorry for me that they start a fund, I should point out that if I had reserved the money I have spent on support and research into the retail arm of the British brewing industry I could probably have bought the Blancpain factory, never mind a watch.
    Exactly the same for me with Blancpain and Omega Speedmaster Pro.

Funnily enough I was looking at Seiko FFF mods five minutes ago!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    Easy one for me, the Patek 5146g.
    I tried one on about 10 years back in the jewellers whilst buying my wife’s wedding ring. Fast forward to about a year and a half ago and there was a beautiful example for sale on SC at a very reasonable price. I contacted the seller and went into the nearest Patek boutique to try one on again. Even the wife agreed that if I really wanted it I should buy it (as I said, it really was a very good price). The instant I strapped it on in the shop I was racked with feelings of self consciousness over the value of the thing. I have always been a ditherer, but even after 10 years of desire, for some reason my brain simply wouldn’t let me spend that kind of money on a watch all the time I had kids to feed clothe and put a roof over. And I just couldn’t see myself ever being comfortable wearing something of that value.
    The seller was most understanding and I hope it’s now gracing the wrist of someone who will appreciate it and give it the wrist time it deserves.
    All I have left is this picture of me in the Petek shop.☹️

Maybe you should have gone for the 5146J it’s cheaper! I wear mine daily. Nobody knows what it is.

Martyn

Anyway. The one for me is this: Aquanaut 5167A

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 12th January 2018 at 20:48.

Aquanaut also. But I decided to order one Nov/Dec 2016, so hopefully I'll remedy that this year when mine is available.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Universal

Universal Geneve Tri Compax Moonphase

This is the 4 Subdial version with the black bezel!!
    About 6 or 7 years ago maybe more I found one in a random auction online and I bid on it between me and one other guy who it said was online in the US but I had enough for £2000 plus fees and it sold to him for £2200 plus fees😢
    You can see these for £20-40k now so my dream of owning one has long gone which is a shame as it was just a masterpiece of engineering to me not an investment!!
    Although if I had bought it and then found out 8 years later it was worth £30k I doubt I would be able to bring myself to keep it!!!
    Might have to put up with a black bezeled polerouter diver !!!

Chris

When I was looking for a watch for my 50th I was lucky to get a speedmaster but being greedy I was also after a seamaster 2250.

I'm very happy with the choice I made and it was always going to be the first choice in that two watch race.

However I still hanker after the seamaster and even this morning was looking at ones for sale on the internet.

Apprentice
    Rolex Daytona SS white face and I'm one off on the waiting list, so could be yrs

Love A Lange & Sohne too but dislike the obvious financial loss ..

.... one day though

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    ALS 1815 'Up and Down'. One day, maybe.

Master
    Probably not to some people's liking but it's always been a Tag Heuer/Heuer re-issue Monaco for me.

I've wanted one since prob early 2000's before I actually got into watches.
    Tried one on in the states in I think around 2008 (2 years before I really got 'into' watches) whilst working out there. It was around 2 for 1 on the dollar or something like that so it was ridiculously cheap, but alas I didn't buy.
    Wanted one even more since then but never actually made the jump.
    I will have one some day but other things/other watches always seem to get in the way.

Craftsman
    Patek aquanaut is a watch I have wanted for a while now. Simply can't get one as I can't get on the waiting list.

I can't bring myself to buy one from a grey dealer at a premium so the wait continues.

Speedmaster. When it came to buying it though I realised that I didn’t need the functionality or dial complexity, so bought a Seamaster. I can't swim, am never likely to do saturation diving, so will never use the He control, but I just liked the look of it. Of course I am already considering it’s replacement, a Planet Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    Patek aquanaut is a watch I have wanted for a while now. Simply can't get one as I can't get on the waiting list.

I can't bring myself to buy one from a grey dealer at a premium so the wait continues.
    Why cant you get on a list?
    It's just a matter of time...

My experience is almost exactly as yours.
    I visited the Omega dealer as a first-time `expensive` watch customer and tried on the Speedy Pro fully intending to buy but decided against it as at the time i thought it was a little bit too `stand-out ish` - i didn`t want to draw attention to myself wearing such a distinctive watch.
    Instead i plumped for something more subtle - a Speedy day-date. The extra complications and all those hands attracted my gadget-minded tendencies.

I don`t know whether i`ll get a Pro now as i`ve peaked as far as my watch collecting is concerned but maybe one day if i start selling and changing things around it`d be the first on the list.
    They were only £1400 at the time, too....
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 13th January 2018 at 19:37.

Craftsman
    Daniels Space Traveller. You'd all have to line up and donate a kidney, and I know you wouldn't, so that's that.

Explorer II polar, previous model.

Craftsman
    I’m with everyone who has said the speedmaster.

I always think about it but when the time comes I talk myself out of it.

And then a few months later it starts all over again and I think about getting one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

A Patek 5146, I could trade a few watches in and buy one but the preciousness of it gives me the fear.

Daytona. Still like them, but daft money now while so far over rrp

EZM 1

Craftsman
    L&S 1815 up/down. I let one slip by several years ago, a private sale for 8k in platinum. Trouble was everything lined up except the buckle which was WG! Anyway, he sold it to Watchfinder who promptly moved it on priced at 12k within a week. Another used 39mm WG came up last year at an AD. They had it ages then dropped the price considerably, but someone beat me to it. Oh well, one day........

Blog Entries
    Is there a watch that you have always wanted but for some reason never bought?
    Too numerous to mention!

Always wanted one of the larger cased Reverso Duo (Day/Night) models, but have still never owned one.

This desire is now probably directed more towards a Reverso Tribute Moon.

Craftsman
    SS Daytona. I just can’t see myself paying so much over the RRP and can’t get myself on a list either. Maybe someday......

Craftsman
    Seamaster 2531.80,

Have wanted one for ages but somehow convinced myself that because it has no micro adjustments on the clasp means I won't get a good fit.

Quote Originally Posted by firefoxed View Post
    Seamaster 2531.80,

Have wanted one for ages but somehow convinced myself that because it has no micro adjustments on the clasp means I won't get a good fit.
    Always happy to enable... you need this thread in your life

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how...3835594?page=1

Master
    One of my all time favourites which I should have bought in 2005 when they were about £1800

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Always happy to enable... you need this thread in your life

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how...3835594?page=1
    I remember checking if that was possible a good while ago but had no success. So back to the top of the wish list
    It goes.

Appreciate the enabling.

MM300. Since the dawn of my interest in watches it's been constantly in the corner of my eye but I've never quite got round to it.

Rolex Explorer II Polar 16570.

I think it’s the perfect watch, size and functions wise, but never had the patience to save long enough to get one.