closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice buying New Rolex from a dealer

Master

Advice buying New Rolex from a dealer

For the very first time in the position to buy my wife the brand new Rolex Oyster Perpetual she has wanted for sometime.

Never been in a main dealers before.

Given it will one of the cheapest in the range at £3,550 it still represents a significant purchase for us.

I assume that they will not offer discount?

Will there be any other incentives to ask for....I like a deal for my hard earned

Appreciate any advice for dealing with a main dealer, we will feel out of place

Thanks

You are a customer buying an expensive luxury watch, expect to be treated like royalty.

On a serious note, let your good lady identify the one she wants then tell them you need to have a think about it, check the finances etc - usual guff. Then go on line and check out the greys and see how much you can save. You could always go back and say Iconic have this model for X are you willing to match it etc.

Don't be afraid to haggle and they should have stock of the OP in so see what discounts are available, especially if precious metals are involved.

Show them that you are a savvy shopper

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    To be honest you will be well treated. I have always found buying Rolex from an AD is satisfying and makes the whole process feel "special". They will ensure the bracelet is propery fitted and will answer any questions/queries you may have. Personally I never haggle, as Rolex very rarely offer discount. You are also getting the satisfaction that you are getting a nice, fresh, brand new, authentic watch complete with a 5 year warranty. Enjoy
    Just to add to that, if they shorten the bracelet make sure that you ask for the removed links - they are yours. Some try to keep them and sell them later.

It's a shop, just treat it that way.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael3009 View Post
    For the very first time in the position to buy my wife the brand new Rolex Oyster Perpetual she has wanted for sometime.

Never been in a main dealers before.

Given it will one of the cheapest in the range at £3,550 it still represents a significant purchase for us.

I assume that they will not offer discount?

Will there be any other incentives to ask for....I like a deal for my hard earned

Appreciate any advice for dealing with a main dealer, we will feel out of place

Thanks
    My AD gave me 10% discount on the same watch for Mrs T-7. We tried for more but that was their limit

Master
    Wear a nice watch if you have one, and definitely dress well if you don't. It shouldn't make a difference, but it does. Don't be intimidated though - you're spending a huge amount of money on an object that nobody actually needs to survive. Expect to be treated well.

Master
    As others have said they will treat you very well like any other customer. It’s a load of money for a watch. Try to enjoy the experience and ask about the watch and hopefully they will know their stuff and give you some history behind it. Just try to relax. It can’t hurt to ask for discount.

When I bought my Tudor Pelagos recently I asked for 20%. They offered me 10%. I said 20%, they offered 10% and first service free so good deal. Even if they offer nothing you will feel good that you tried.

Craftsman
    Always worth asking for the first service thrown in or book a couple of flights to Zurich out of Heathrow T2 & have a weekend away instead of paying VAT.

Master
    Thank you for your advice, yes I want my wife to experience the pleasure in the purchase as there will not be another one. No doubt she have her Tag on as it’s the best watch she has.

It sounds like 10% May be reasonable to expect

I just wondered if they gave gifts like wallets etc ....being selfish I get a present for spending/emptying my savings

Very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Michael3009 View Post
    Thank you for your advice, yes I want my wife to experience the pleasure in the purchase as there will not be another one. No doubt she have her Tag on as it’s the best watch she has.

It sounds like 10% May be reasonable to expect

I just wondered if they gave gifts like wallets etc ....being selfish I get a present for spending/emptying my savings

Very much appreciated
    As others have said a free service is the target to aim for, a wallet or umbrella or chocs and champers are just to make you feel special.

I really wouldnt get my heart set on being treated in any special way unfortunately, I bought a Rolex and purposely waited to pick it up on my birthday, the whole AD experience was adequate (at best) no extras not even the offer of a drink while we waited whilst they reluctantly resized the bracelet

When I arrived it became apparent that the emphasis was getting the watch paid for and me out of the shop as quickly as possible, in fact they only got the watch from the safe after money had changed hands and all stickers/tags were already removed

I asked for the Coffin and was quite rudely refused, it felt like they were doing me a favour the whole time I was there, I was on a list for a year for this watch and i am sure they knew that 'better customers' would buy the watch if I did not

I was very pleased to have the watch (the main thing right?) but my girlfriend was very upset as it was a big purchase for us and was in her eyes supposed to be the main part of my birthday celebration

I really love the watch and Rolex is by far my favourite brand but I was treated better by Goldsmiths purchasing an Oris a few years ago at a tenth of the Rolex price :)

I recommend you go for the watch but perhaps lower your expectations of a special experience in case you have a similar experuence to me

Craftsman
    I popped into Watches of Switzerland in Knightsbridge with my wife on spec purely to see a couple of watches in person. From the moment we walked in we were made to feel welcome, I stated at the outset that even though I was looking I was not intending to buy. This made no difference to the way we were treated and staff were more than happy to allow me to try watches on. We were offered a seat and drinks while I did so.
    From this experience, if I choose to buy from a dealer, I would go back there. I would make a day of it and take my time in the store, they were excellent. They actually suggested that if I were to purchase there to phone in advance so a member of staff would be available.
    I guess Knightsbridge is a premier location with premier staff but their watches are a significant purchase to some of us and I guess they get that. It is a shame not all do.

Craftsman
    The only time I actually bought a Rolex from an AD was most enjoyable I have to say. They pre-ordered the watch on the strength of me phoning to discuss (not my home town) with no obligation. When it came in I got a call to come in at my leisure. When I hit them with a polite request for discount they offered a hefty discount on any item of jewellery in the shop (no limit on price) I took that, went away happy and the recipient was even happier to get top drawer diamond ear-rings thrown in!

My next Rolex purchase was via a UK grey importer. Great price, great service, but different experience. Still, very satisfying for other reasons.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I really wouldnt get my heart set on being treated in any special way unfortunately, I bought a Rolex and purposely waited to pick it up on my birthday, the whole AD experience was adequate (at best) no extras not even the offer of a drink while we waited whilst they reluctantly resized the bracelet

When I arrived it became apparent that the emphasis was getting the watch paid for and me out of the shop as quickly as possible, in fact they only got the watch from the safe after money had changed hands and all stickers/tags were already removed

I asked for the Coffin and was quite rudely refused, it felt like they were doing me a favour the whole time I was there, I was on a list for a year for this watch and i am sure they knew that 'better customers' would buy the watch if I did not

I was very pleased to have the watch (the main thing right?) but my girlfriend was very upset as it was a big purchase for us and was in her eyes supposed to be the main part of my birthday celebration

I really love the watch and Rolex is by far my favourite brand but I was treated better by Goldsmiths purchasing an Oris a few years ago at a tenth of the Rolex price :)

I recommend you go for the watch but perhaps lower your expectations of a special experience in case you have a similar experuence to me

Your experience was very similar to mine, and from your location it sounds like it is the same AD (the only one in Dorset). Got the call saying the Rolex Sub that i was on the waiting list was available. Paid by bank transfer and picked up last week when i got back into town. Told them in advance when i would be popping in. Arrived at 4pm - there was around 4 -5 staff and no other customers. Asked for the bracelet to be adjusted and waited - no offer of water/tea etc whilst we waited.

Bracelet came back with 3 links removed from just one side - i queried whether it would be better balanced with 2 removed from 1 side and 1 from the other, but they seemed reluctant to do this and asked me to see how it was and if i was unhappy could come back later.

Similar to you - got the feeling they wanted me out as soon as possible. Unlikely to be buying from them again and will probably make the short trip to Laings in Southampton if i am in the market for another new Rolex.

From reading the forums i had expected a better treatment. In practice, i don't think their behaviour even extended to basic common courtesy.

No AD will offer discount, you will have to negotiate it.
    Phone or even better visit a few local AD's in person and see what they are willing to do for you.
    Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
    No AD will offer discount, you will have to negotiate it.
    Phone or even better visit a few local AD's in person and see what they are willing to do for you.
    Good luck!

None will offer a discount over the phone is the UK anymore, I’m 95% sure of that ;)

Speaking in person might work. A free service instead of a discount is a very good option if available too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    None will offer a discount over the phone is the UK anymore, I’m 95% sure of that ;)

Speaking in person might work. A free service instead of a discount is a very good option if available too.
    I have managed to obtain a discount over the phone from an AD I've had previous dealings with.
    Service is only useful if you're planning on keeping the watch long term.

Quote Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
    I have managed to obtain a discount over the phone from an AD I've had previous dealings with.
    Service is only useful if you're planning on keeping the watch long term.

Well of course. My remarks were generic.

Very few Rolex AD’s are offering discounts to anyone accept very good repeat customers, and certainly not blindly over the phone.

I intend on keeping watches long term ymmv.
    It's just a matter of time...

I am not sure why someone said dress well...it's a shop and you are wanting to buy something....just wear what you normally wear. If you normally ask for a discount on something then do it on this watch.
    I have had no issues buying watches wearing a 15 year old t-shirt and shorts.

If the buying experience is important to your wife, go into the shop and explain that, they might get huffy that you might be insinuating that it won’t be special or, if the sales manager is any good, make a extra efffort to give it the extra mile.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    It's a shop, just treat it that way.
    Indeed - I've never understood this whole "buying experience" thing.

I go into a shop, give them my money and they give me a watch. No different to buying a tin of baked beans in Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Indeed - I've never understood this whole "buying experience" thing.

I go into a shop, give them my money and they give me a watch. No different to buying a tin of baked beans in Tesco.
    Better class of checkout girl?