closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder offer range - always push back

Master

Watchfinder offer range - always push back

Thats twice now in the last month i have sold two immaculate watches to WF&Co and the initial offer was at the bottom end of the range, in both cases i was only happy to sell at the very top end so have called to ask them to send me the watch back. Lo and behold the offer gets increased to the max.

A little frustrating but no real harm done, that said would always recommend that people challenge them on this

Master
    Interesting and good to know. What sort of delta are we talking here % wise?

Master
    Range for this particular watch was 4,250 to 4,500

the watch was mint so i wasnt leaving the £250 with them

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sounds much like their normal spread on watches falling in a range of values.

Journeyman
    Always had the same issue and when asked to justify the lower offer they have normally paid the higher one

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Sounds much like their normal spread on watches falling in a range of values.
    yes it was, i was quoted 4,250 - 4.5k, the watch is within manufacturer warranty and indistinguishable from new yet they quoted at the bottom end of the range until i called and all of a sudden they can do the top end

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    yes it was, i was quoted 4,250 - 4.5k, the watch is within manufacturer warranty and indistinguishable from new yet they quoted at the bottom end of the range until i called and all of a sudden they can do the top end
    Yep, my experience all the way to £20k plus! Consistent.

Master
    I’ve had the same when taking a watch in person. The watch in question was immaculate so no justification to reduce the value on that basis, their reason being they already have X number in stock.

At this point the watch was still out back with the experts so I simply asked for it back to leave and their offer suddenly changed to the top end of the estimate.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that well worth remembering, problem is actually parting with a watch though

Master
    I’m sending a watch to them tomorrow, I’m expecting this as well

Master
    I've only ever sold one watch to them, but my experience has been different : top offer right away, no mucking about. Don't know if it made a difference, but I did it in person, at their office in Burlington Arcade, not through the post. The whole process took 10 minutes and I had the money in my account in a couple of days

Master
    I look at it that they are a business with the aim of maximising profits, hence if they can pay the lower figure they’ll make more and I’m sure many people just accept it, whilst I’m my own business so to speak. I want to maximise what I can get and will always push for a higher amount. I’ve sold them 6 watches ranging from 2k to 26k and 4 times they’ve tried to give me the lower offer. I’ve just pressed for the higher and got it. I’ve even got more than their Upper offer by emailing them and setting my own price (3k on one watch) and it’s worked a couple of times - I did my research beforehand and they were sort after watches.

But as I said it’s business.

I have done several trade deals with WF and there is never an issue, the trade deal value up front is what they give you. I had one instance of a fairly decent trade offer on a Blancpain FF but gave it some thought and asked what they would pay cash. The response was £2,500 lighter, so I went with the trade deal.

You just need to play them, I have had dreadful offers which I have questioned, decent offers which I have accepted and one fantastic transaction when they didn't have a clue what they were selling.

I think over the years I am up on the buggers

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think over the years I am up on the buggers
    Nice one Ken, good to hear

Think I have sold them 2 watches over the years, from (great!) distance, and they have honoured the top value each time.

That is very good to know, thanks for the advice.

I recently asked them for a quote, and didn’t realise I could push back to the upper end of the range...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve sold them quite a lot of watches, 2 recently. As others have said it’s easy to push to get the highest amount.

You will always get much higher prices on trading but then of course you have to pay their higher sale prices but they will negotiate on their sale prices.

Just sold them a watch and they kindly offered 1.5k over what I paid 😁 a nice change over losing on every sale.

Cheers

James

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post
    I’ve sold them quite a lot of watches, 2 recently. As others have said it’s easy to push to get the highest amount.

You will always get much higher prices on trading but then of course you have to pay their higher sale prices but they will negotiate on their sale prices.

Just sold them a watch and they kindly offered 1.5k over what I paid  a nice change over losing on every sale.

Cheers

James
    Well done
    Sounds like a good result
    Which watch if its not too personal?

Master
    Same happened to me with WF. One email asking why = immediate increase to top of range.

They just try it on...

Blog Entries
    Are we generally selling more watches on to WF than SC??

I offered them my DSSD and was quite impressed with what they offered but would sell on here for what I paid.

Pitch

Craftsman
    I've never had a good offer for a watch when attempting to sell to WF - but the problem I suppose is that watches aren't shifting on SC. It's that balance of speed vs price.

For instance, my Omega AT Railmaster is for sale on SC for £2550 currently with bracelet and the leather band/deployant. WF have examples with the bracelet, and no box/papers for well over £3100! But they initially offered me (without seeing the watch) between £1600 and £1800 for mine. Shocking in my opinion.

For instance: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/R...14/item/104262
    Last edited by mjgerrard; 16th January 2018 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    I've never had a good offer for a watch when attempting to sell to WF - but the problem I suppose is that watches aren't shifting on SC. It's that balance of speed vs price.

For instance, my Omega AT Railmaster is for sale on SC for £2550 currently with bracelet and the leather band/deployant. WF have examples with the bracelet, and no box/papers for well over £3100! But they initially offered me (without seeing the watch) between £1600 and £1800 for mine. Shocking in my opinion.

They haven't offered me great prices on Omega before either (bar one, the Apollo Omega I listed not long ago on SC). I have had good prices on Rolex, AP, Bremont and Hublot.

Sounds like a fair ish trade offer to me I'm afraid, and still more than I would pay for one personally. Although I appreciate I am not the target market for one as I'm one of the few people that don't like them. They are a business trying to make a profit, and I'd always expect a trade offer to be significantly less than a private sales price - we just haven't seen that as much with some recent modern Rolex sales to WF lately.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 16th January 2018 at 17:47.

They gave me an initial offer on my 5712 based on photo's.

I said it was way too low & they upped it substantially.

I then took the watch in to their Burlington Arcade office (by appointment) & sorted the deal there & then - no sending it away.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Sounds like a fair ish trade offer to me I'm afraid, and still more than I would pay for one personally. Although I appreciate I am not the target market for one as I'm one of the few people that don't like them. They are a business trying to make a profit, and I'd always expect a trade offer to be significantly less than a private sales price - we just haven't seen that as much with some recent modern Rolex sales to WF lately.
    Yep I'm afraid you would struggle to pick a decent one up, SC or elsewhere for less than 2300 nowadays. But obviously I don't want to make this specifically about the railmaster - it's more that given the prices here we are talking about buying at 1600 and selling at 3200. There's profit, and then there's this...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Yep I'm afraid you would struggle to pick a decent one up, SC or elsewhere for less than 2300 nowadays. But obviously I don't want to make this specifically about the railmaster - it's more that given the prices here we are talking about buying at 1600 and selling at 3200. There's profit, and then there's this...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    I know - they tend to sell for very good prices.

Watchfinder are typical for trade offers in relation to the majority of watches (i.e. low/sometimes insulting), but pay more for quite a few better selling ones. I think it’s more a case of the gulf of difference between their offers on some watches being higher than some watches are advertised for and haven’t sold on SC - my own included, and then the usual low trade offers we all used to expect from the trade.
    It's just a matter of time...