closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Watch You’ve Ever Owned

Breitling Emergency. Terrible timekeeping, poor lume and disgraceful servicing.

But I still miss it!!

Panerai 359

When I got it was running around +40 / 24h, sent it under warranty to Germany through AD in Prague, came back running +50/24h, the watchmaker at AD put it on timing machine and laughed, back to Germany then, it came back running around 0.5s / 24h but it still left bitter taste in my mouth, especially when a lot of people I talked with reported similar timing problems with the 3 day calibers.

I like most watches I've bought. At least for a period of time until my horological promiscuity gets the better of me. If 'worst' is therefore the one I fell out of admiration with the quickest, then the Doxa Searambler 1200 qualifies.

Worst quality hands I'd ever seen. A friend has one now, and his is fine. But too late for me. I ditched it at a splendid loss, and assembled this one instead...

Seiko “monster”. Never kept time.

I couldn't gel with my old speedy pro.

It felt flimsy and lightweight (on leather) and just didn't sit right on my wrist. I loved winding it but also felt that an expensive, brand new mechanical watch made no sense (kind've a bit pointless?) - if it was a vintage watch it would've captured my heart more.

Master
    Audermars Piguet, Royal Oak Chrono 39mm

Angled integrated case / bracelet used to move a trap the wrist bone, bracelet caught the hairs on the wrist, clasp was fiddly to use, ran too fast for my liking.

Really well made and finished, just wasn't suitable for me

Craftsman
    Never owned a bad watch -- so, the "least good" would be my 17000 beater.
    Worthy in the extreme, but boring on every front.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I remember those in the '80s / '90s, always thought who the heck is going to spend that amount on a quartz!

And now I'd quite like one, purely for its vintage appeal

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Probably this monstrosity

It was massive.
    Good God! That is truly awful. If there were a prize I am sure it would be yours.

Love those springs!

I had a Mondaine.....for less than a day. Iconic, apparently.

Looked that cheap like it had come out of a Christmas cracker and didn’t keep time worth a damn.

Truly awful watch.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Glycine Airman SST-06: awkward lug design, dial too busy, strange proportions, borderline ugly. Didn't enjoy wearing it.
    Close second is the Ball engineer hydrocarbon gmt - too tall, also hit with the ugly stick.

Almost forgot - the Squale 1521. It had the most annoying hard to engage crown I've ever worn - annoyed the cr4p out of me every time I had to set the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early on in my interest in watches I bought this Kronos ‘diver’.

https://i.imgur.com/wSotD0T.jpg

Despite the word Professional on the dial and the 300m/1000ft boast it let in water in a shower! Also, that surely has to be the most ghastly hand set ever.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Early on in my interest in watches I bought this Kronos ‘diver’.

https://i.imgur.com/wSotD0T.jpg

Despite the word Professional on the dial and the 300m/1000ft boast it let in water in a shower! Also, that surely has to be the most ghastly hand set ever.

Simon

Apart from the hands, there is a lot to like in its looks though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Breitling Emergency. Terrible timekeeping, poor lume and disgraceful servicing.

But I still miss it!!
    What about it do you miss? We might be able to suggest a superior fix!

Craftsman

Worst Watch You’ve Ever Owned

A Hugo Boss dress watch that was a homage to the IWC Portuguese.

I received "points" for a long service award at work about 6 years ago. The catalogue that I could choose gifts from didn't have much that appealed so I chose an Outback barbecue and the watch. It lasted about a month before I put it on eBay. It had a rrp of Ł300 but looked and felt cheap even compared to Ł50 watches that I have owned, hated it. The barbecue is still going strong though!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by GMC41; 13th January 2018 at 14:54.

Craftsman
    I have a Seiko SXK007 and hate it. The bezel is misaligned from factory, I think it looks cheap and after a very small accidental drop onto a carpeted floor it now runs 5 mins a day fast.

I asked for it as a present from my other half for my birthday, so now I feel I can't sell/bin it as it was a present - and sometimes I have to wear it and pretend that I don't hate it haha.

Worse still, I had a moment of madness and then went and bought an SKX011 in Orange which also has a misaligned bezel from factory. Though I am quite partial to the orange on this one.

Craftsman
    I had a Tag Formula 1 Chrono and the face fell out of it whilst I was in a swimming pool.

Piece of bloody crap.

The remains are still upstairs in a drawer somewhere.

Master
    A tag kirium couldn't get the bracelet to fit all the links in slightly too big one link out slightly too small

I like my vintage Omegas but the TC1 I had for about 3 days was the worst watch I’ve had.

A nice novelty item but I wouldn’t bother again.

Craftsman
    Probably this monstrosity

It was massive.
    Those lugs are... Impressive!

I can only think of one real disappointment!

20 years ago before smart phones and after a string of cheap & reliable Swatch's and Casio's which all offered excellent reliability;

I did some work at a dive shop and took a shine to their Beaver dive watches. Beaver were a dive brand and any watch with their name was going to be better than a G-shock at 3 times the price ... right?

A deal was negotiated which meant me leaving the shop with no payment, but a bit of bling on my wrist.

3 months later it was in the bin!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I don't think OM is unreasonable or alone in wondering why you'd keep a worst watch. Particularly since it's value is currently so strong.

My worst and quickly dispatched was a magrette moana pacific.
    Interested to know why.....I quite fancied trying a Magrette but my Marloe has needed to go back because the chronograph hands were off centre although have to say their customer service has been excellent. Has put me off micro brands a bit though
    Last edited by Jpshell; 13th January 2018 at 21:37.

Master
    The very worst watch I've ever owned was a very cheap digital, purchased in 1984 (from a newsagent or tobacconist oddly, I seem to recall) to tide me over while my handwould analogue (can't even remember the make) was broken.

I can't say I was disappointed, it only cost Ł1.50. But the plastic case was extremely cheap in appearance and feel, the strap was also a thoroughly nasty soft plastic that became sticky in hot weather and the LCD display was very crude and dim. Timekeeping was well outside a minute a day and I seem to remember that it had a bug in that the seconds would count past 60 in some circumstances!

I don't recall ever being disappointed by a watch of any value, perhaps I've been lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Those lugs are... Impressive!
    Designed by the worlds most conservative Structal Engineer.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    About 7 years ago I went through a Benarus phase. Had one whose name I can't remember and a Moray. The one I can't remember was a pile of garbage. Heavy, poorly finished, nasty crown and helium release valve, ugly dial. Worst thing though was the metal used. Needless to say it scratched very easily but the worst thing was that the bars that held the bracelet on were screws made from the same terrible metal as the case. First time I unscrewed (correction: tried to unscrew) the bars I put deep scratches in the rubbish case and because the metal was so weak, I screwed the head clean off the thread. So that went back along with a fairly rapid disposal of the Moray

Most disappointing was the Sinn U1 SDR (I know; sacrilege). Spent 2 years waiting to buy because I wanted to wait until I passed my CFA before I bought one. When I got it finally after ogling online for months I was so disappointed. Parts of it were nice but... the bracelet would come open very easily for basically no reason, the bezel didn't line up at 12, which drove me mad, the bezel was incredibly stiff and only had 60 clicks (it was almost impossible to move a small amount because of the force required to get it to shift at all), there was a weird amount of vertical play in the bezel also. But for all its flaws, it looked great on a Rhino. Finally traded it for a MM300. The difference in quality was astonishing considering the similar price points. That pretty much got me onto higher end Seiko.

^^^^ I had a Moray too. Flipped it the day it arrived. Very disappointing.

Last edited by andy tims; 17th January 2018 at 10:34.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Mine was probably the Habring2 Jumping Second.

I had been looking forward to owning one. As it was a very niche brand, only producing a small number of watches per annum.

Sadly the noise made as it wound was just too much for me.
    So it had to go.

And then I discovered that the 324 movement fitted to some of the Pateks, could also be noisy, but that I got used to and it was quite reassuring :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I’m not sure that’s quite in the spirit of the thread, it only says that the rest of your collection is stellar! Far from ‘boring’, for me among the most interesting watches Rolex ever produced. Genta derived design, awesome solid bracelet, unique movement and style, simple clean lines but stunning on the wrist. Perhaps I’m missing some irony here...

Master
    ^^^^ I had a Moray too. Flipped it the day it arrived. Very disappointing.

Makes he shudder looking at it again lol. Think mine had a chrome case but could be wrong. I've remembered the other one I had - the Sea Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    For me the Rolex Daytona was the most disappointing. The quality and workmanship is good but it is just a nothing watch which has all the hype and there is nothing about it to praise.

Strangely enough, it is the most valuable watch that I own and that is the main reason for keeping it.
    Sorry this is way off topic, but are you the Mick P of Naim Forum fame??

Alex

Master
    Not a watch but a bracelet. The clasp of my Cartier roadster chrono would not close securely, 2 trips back to Cartier could not resolve this. I ended up fixing it myself with needle nose pliers. The system for fixing the bracelet to the head was also dodgy, one end detached when I was skiing, lucky I noticed it before it fell from my wrist.
    Gorgeous watch tho.....

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app