closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Watch You’ve Ever Owned

Journeyman

Worst Watch You’ve Ever Owned

Thinking back over all the watches I’ve had in the past. There have been some pretty awful choices made. Maybe not awful watches in themselves, but definitely awful decisions made by myself.

What’s the worst watch/biggest regret that you have, and why?

One of mine - Around 10 years ago, when I was just starting out, I picked up a Timex Expedition WS4. It was huge. I wore it only a couple of times, until someone commented that they thought it was some sort of medical device being used to keep my alive. I don’t think I wore it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag Heuer due to the service.

Someone gave me a Rolex that came from foreign lands. I was a service tech at the time, always trying to do a good job and usually receiving a gratuity at the end of the job. As soon as I started wearing the Rolex the gratuities stopped, with one customer pointing out that “if I could afford one of them, I wouldn’t be needing his money”. One day I was stood at the toilet having a pee when the glass and the bezel fell off into the water. I didn’t wear it again. It went into the bin.

I spent £660 on an Omega dress watch in 1980 and then ended up working for 2 months in the Belizean jungle. After returning to the UK the watch started playing up. The jeweller who looked at the watch advised that the automatic workings were badly corroded, he had done his best, but couldn’t guarantee the work. Thirty days later it gave up the ghost and went in the bin. I suppose that I couldn’t blame the watch though as it wasn’t guaranteed sweat-proof.

Tissot Seastar 1000.

A seiko 5 which got me back into watches after some time not wearing one. Though it was okay and functioned perfectly, it wore too small for me (37mm) by today's standards. Fortunately to lose £20 in a flip wasn't a great loss, and it gave me a reference point for exactly where 'too small' lies for me.

Craftsman
    Shamefully, a Sekonda sub-style diver. I still have it in a drawer. Oversized, awful bracelet rattle, uncomfortable. Just naff.

Master
    For me the Rolex Daytona was the most disappointing. The quality and workmanship is good but it is just a nothing watch which has all the hype and there is nothing about it to praise.

Strangely enough, it is the most valuable watch that I own and that is the main reason for keeping it.

Master
    Bell & Ross BR01 94 Titanium Chrono. Always getting magnetised and running 5 mins fast a day. After the 3rd time in one year I moved it on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    For me the Rolex Daytona was the most disappointing. The quality and workmanship is good but it is just a nothing watch which has all the hype and there is nothing about
    A bit harsh? It has some virtues, apart from the high build quality and superb movement. It is quite small and neat, comfortable to wear, has a long history. And the high residuals are themselves a powerful reason for ownership.
    But I agree, it doesn't justify the hero worship. What could?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A bit harsh? It has some virtues, apart from the high build quality and superb movement. It is quite small and neat, comfortable to wear, has a long history. And the high residuals are themselves a powerful reason for ownership.
    But I agree, it doesn't justify the hero worship. What could?
    How many people come in here and complain about the fact that the dial is illegible ?

From a practical point of view it is all but worthless.

However it is highly sought after and the prices continue to ooze in an upward direction, so yes, all we that have one, will hang onto it.

In very early days.... a TW Steel. Just , what was I thinking

Master
    A new Tissot Solar Touch a few years ago.

On an orange strap with the short hands,it never worked properly and Tissot customer service was a joke,glad to get rid of it via ebay(wouldn't wish anyone on here to make the same mistake i did)

Lost a few quid but taught me a good lesson to try on all watches before i buy and never impulse buy.

For me the Rolex Daytona was the most disappointing. The quality and workmanship is good but it is just a nothing watch which has all the hype and there is nothing about it to praise.

Strangely enough, it is the most valuable watch that I own and that is the main reason for keeping it.
    So are you saying the Daytona is the worst watch you’ve ever owned? That’s what the OP asked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    So are you saying the Daytona is the worst watch you’ve ever owned? That’s what the OP asked.
    It is my least favourite watch ever and the only one that I would consider selling, so in that sense, yes it is.

It is my least favourite watch ever and the only one that I would consider selling, so in that sense, yes it is.
    OK thanks. It is amazing that you and others feel that way about such a watch.

Master
    OK thanks. It is amazing that you and others feel that way about such a watch.
    Right now I am wearing a 39mm Explorer and I get hell of a lot more pleasure in wearing it.

I recieved a free Storm watch back in the late 90s.

Sat in the box for years until i discovered I could offload it on ebay.

If it's that bad maybe you should just give it away!
    It's just a matter of time...

Blimey someone happens to not like a Daytona. Does that really require a cross examination?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Blimey someone happens to not like a Daytona. Does that really require a cross examination?
    No. Someone doesn't like the Daytona- but they still bloody well own it. Does that make sense? Is that worthy of cross examination?!

It would sell easily and quickly.

GTFO

Craftsman
    A Vostok amphibia i bought new for £28-00 a few years ago. lost 5 minutes a day, sometimes stopped and started for no apparent reason, the rotor fell off and rattled round inside. The bezel fell off due to a crap retaining spring.

I mended it all but realised i disliked it for its crapability and I did the decent thing and launched it off the Severn Bridge on the way to Wales one day. No loss.

TAG Heuer Divers watch failed on its first dive when brand new - replaced and the second one failed on its first dive.
    Never bought another one since.

Bell and Ross BR03-88

I was clearly going through a Bell and Ross stage, had a phantom, military and a BR02, so picked up a aviation, what was not to like??, Bell and ross with the heart of an aerospace. it arrived in the post, it looked awful, the stainless steel case looked too shiny and there was lots of it, the skeleton hands looked cheap and the seconds hand tick just pissed me off. Luckily it was scratched to hell like it had been in someone's pocket with coins and advertised as 'AAA'. Returned it. it then got lost in the post and I had 3 months wait for my money to be returned

don't have any B&R now!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    No. Someone doesn't like the Daytona- but they still bloody well own it. Does that make sense? Is that worthy of cross examination?!

GTFO
    Well I will hold onto it as long as it continues to rise in value as it is currently doing. I would be a fool to sell it.

GTFO
    Grow up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I don't think OM is unreasonable or alone in wondering why you'd keep a worst watch. Particularly since it's value is currently so strong.

My worst and quickly dispatched was a magrette moana pacific.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I don't think OM is unreasonable or alone in wondering why you'd keep a worst watch. Particularly since it's value is currently so strong.

My worst and quickly dispatched was a magrette moana pacific.
    Well it would help if OM was a bit less petulant.

I suppose the question is whether it will continue to rise or if it as peaked.

I am quite happy with it locked up in the safe and my wife also wears it now and then.

Craftsman
    Panerai pam024 let down by appalling service department and service costs(7750 movement)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grow up.
    Thanks Dad! Just XX

I think you will find the subject was/is worth the discussion.

It appears that the watch is being held purely as form of investment.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Reap sow.

Master
    Not really I own a white 116520 and I have only worn it once. I get more pleasure out of my HKED bund which is 40 times cheaper...

I suppose the question is whether it will continue to rise or if it as peaked.

I am quite happy with it locked up in the safe and my wife also wears it now and then.
    Well if you honestly believe that it's the worst watch you have ever owned, rather than one you may have been most disappointed by due to the hype, then fair enough.

But I feel quite confident (maybe just in mine and most people into watches opinion) that you've owned a lot worse, hence my frustration with yours and anothers comments on this thread.

Master
    Well if you honestly believe that it's the worst watch you have ever owned, rather than one you may have been most disappointed by due to the hype, then fair enough.

But I feel quite confident (maybe just in mine and most people into watches opinion) that you've owned a lot worse, hence my frustration with yours and anothers comments on this thread.

When I was a teenager I wore a Bulova. Later in life I bought an Omega Constellation that I wore every day for 30 years. I won a JLC in a game of poker, I have 5 Rolex including the Daytona.

I gave the Bulova to a nephew and have kept all the others. Out of that lot the Daytona is the least liked but my Missus likes to wear it occasionally and as it seems to be escalating in value, I will keep it.

If that genuinely frustrates you, then in all seriousness, you have a bit of a problem.

Chill out and relax, someone elses watch is nothing to start swearing about.

Your personal responses do not frustrate me enough to swear (most of the time, and certainly not on this thread!) Mick.

& I certainly do not mind if you or some others think I have a bit of a problem. I'll speak my mind.

I had an Animal “surf watch” on a velcro strap. The minute hand fell off fairly soon after I bought it and it didn’t take long for the velcro strap to become fluffy and weak. It actually fell off while I was surfing at Croyde Bay and disappeared into the sea, which felt appropriate.

I don't think I've owned any truly terrible watches look some of the posts on this thread. I bought a Tag Carrera didn't bond as it was quite a tall watch. Had it a month and took a bath on it when I sold it to WF. It's put me off Tag's for a bit!

Steve

I had a anadigi that I got free with the Sunday Sport (!) for 99p postage in 1989. It was worth none of those 99 pence. The ana part didn't work at all, and the digi part lasted literally a week.

If OP is interested in getting rid of that Timex let me know. I've always wanted one.

p.s. If the worst watch I'd ever owned was a Daytona I wouldn't post it in this thread. It might be in the letter of the post but not the spirit.
    Last edited by doctorj; 11th January 2018 at 16:17.

My worst watch was a piece of Russian garbage called a Vostok ‘Scuba Dude’ if I remember correctly. It felt like it was made of tin, the design was awful and the crown was really wobbly.

Utter garbage.

Journeyman

Worst Watch You’ve Ever Owned

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I had an Animal “surf watch” on a velcro strap. The minute hand fell off fairly soon after I bought it and it didn’t take long for the velcro strap to become fluffy and weak. It actually fell off while I was surfing at Croyde Bay and disappeared into the sea, which felt appropriate.
    Wow. I think I may have had one of these - or at least my brother did and I pinched it from time to time.

At least it met its end doing what it loved. Live by the sword, die by the sword ha ha

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorj View Post

If OP is interested in getting rid of that Timex let me know. I've always wanted one.
    Sorry. It went on eBay shortly after the “is that thing keeping your heart going” comment. Otherwise I would have happily donated it to you

Grand Master
    We’ve all probably owned cheap stuff fir £3.99 etc so disregarding those I’d say a Rotary Editions titanium. Huge lump, tiny hands and crap timekeeping too. Rrp over £300 and felt like it was worth £3.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I forgot my fake Cartier Tank bought in Hong Kong while very drunk about 15 years ago. No idea what I paid, a few pounds maybe. Still got that in a drawer somewhere. Suspect it would give a nasty rash if worn now.

My worst watch was a piece of Russian garbage called a Vostok ‘Scuba Dude’ if I remember correctly. It felt like it was made of tin, the design was awful and the crown was really wobbly.

Utter garbage.
    Can't speak to the rest of your assessment, but the wobbly crown is deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by result of a quick Google search
    Many novices are alarmed by the characteristic "wobbly crown", but this is part of the design feature, with extra benefits.

Like the designs detailed before, the Amphibia crown and stem assembly incoporates a clutch between the two pieces, hidden inside the crown: they are coupled only when the crown is pulled slightly away from the stem, otherwise they are decoupled and the crown wobbles somewhat in relation to the stem. During winding - and time setting - the crown needs to be manually pulled away slightly as it does not incorporate an internal spring, eliminating the pressures imparted on the keyless works, and the inherent "wobble" prevents the stem from getting bent.

When the crown is screwed in, the clutch de-couples, which means the crown and case become one unit, and the movement and stem become another. In the unlikely event of serious shock, where the movement moves minutely within the case, this decoupling means that the stem would never bear any load, and the wide clearance between the stem and stem tube facilitates that. The conventional designs do not offer this built-in protection.

Breitling Navitimer.

Why? Because the crown fell off and it cost me about £400 to get it fixed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I've never had a bad watch, although when I was new to this I bought a Lum-Tec M9 from the States. I loved it for quite a while, then one day a Seiko Monster arrived, which was both original and all engineering. I decided the Lum-Tec had to go after that, although I do sometimes miss it.

Dave

Master
    IWC MkXVI. Loved the simplicity of the design but it became apparent it wasn't running well, losing time with a very inconsistent rate. Returning it via Chrono 24 became a ball ache so I had it serviced by an independent. Came back still not right, sent it back twice more for rectification but to no avail. Fed up, so traded it via a dealer.

Probably this monstrosity

It was massive.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

This POS

For me the Rolex Daytona was the most disappointing.
    LOL. There was no way that comment would be allowed to go through to the keeper here.

Banned
    Tried it in for less than a minute then requested a return.