closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate watch

The ultimate watch

A watch that combines the best of several brands. Sounds too good to be true, right? But no Moser have done just that!

All the details here:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/h-...ch-introducing

Behold!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A watch that combines the best of several brands. Sounds too good to be true, right? But no Moser have done just that!

All the details here:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/h-...ch-introducing

Behold!

Love that the articles calls it a parody - just when I thought hodinkee was completely without merit!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

A homage to a Tag, very nice idea

Master
    Their cheese based / Apple Watch recreating provocations are entertaining, but I wonder if they have bitten off more than they can chew this time, suggesting in the accompanying blurb that the brands they are poking fun at exist on nothing but hype. It’s a strategy that begs for counter examples, and has a touch of hype about it itself.

In the meantime though, Donald, your watch is ready.

Blog Entries
    Just another me too product

Risky strategy calling out the big brands like that but its understandable where they are coming from

"Launch" video
    https://youtu.be/w9bnb15pKKY

Master
    Love that launch video! There’s a lot of uncomfortable (for some) truths in it.

Journeyman
    It really annoys me that this doesn’t have a gmt hand...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

That video is bloody fantastic. Jean-Claude Biver will be kicking his cheese all over his estate!

"The Hollywood Stars Switch Brands Like Roles"
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 11th January 2018 at 08:32.

Love it, and the cheese one

Cracking video and I actually like the watch!

Master
    Exactly the watch i thought of when of when I first saw it! Shows what a cheek Tag have.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A homage to a Tag, very nice idea

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Their cheese based / Apple Watch recreating provocations are entertaining, but I wonder if they have bitten off more than they can chew this time, suggesting in the accompanying blurb that the brands they are poking fun at exist on nothing but hype. It’s a strategy that begs for counter examples, and has a touch of hype about it itself.

In the meantime though, Donald, your watch is ready.
    I don’t think the brands they are going at will worry too much. It’s like a fly buzzing around a lion. It can crush it at any time but why bother? I imagine a few of them will find it quite amusing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Risky strategy calling out the big brands like that but its understandable where they are coming from

"Launch" video
    Definitely an unusual strategy, especially as they're calling out marketing, but yet really this is one of the biggest marketing stunts in the watch world for a long, long time.

Not sure if this video is also some kind of parody (it seems more serious), but considering they call out Space watches, they're obviously interested in some way about the effects of zero gravity:

I don't really give a damn who they annoy, what I find a bit ironic is you could also accuse Moser for also having their own style that could be 'iconic'.

I more just don't see the point of going through this exercise. And it would have been more impressive if they had pulled this trick in a style that is consistent with Moser, like the cheese and Apple parody.

Master
    That's brilliant

I really admire what Moser have achieved in what is quite a short space of time; to see that they have a sense of humour is a bonus.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Great video.

Master

Question

I’m slightly confused.

I’m hoping the Watch is a joke? I mean it looks like a POS and you’d assume from the video it was. Yet you’ve got a hoodwinky article professing it to be genuine?

I’m hoping that they’ve just suckered hoodwinky in and the whole thing is a joke.

Doesn’t really make sense to take the Micky out of all the other manufacturers recycling stuff then using every bit of them for the Watch.

The video is funny and I get what they’re saying (still won’t stop the sheep though) but the joke is on them if that thing is real.

Master
    Ok having seen the video this makes more sense and is pretty sharp. The accusation of ‘made in China and overpriced due to hugely expensive marketing, heritage, and gimmicks’, as opposed to just being a real Swiss watch, will certainly strike a chord. Presumably some of their targets can claim to be genuinely Swiss and to make real innovations, but the ‘overpriced and with huge marketing budgets’ part will stick, and the discussion about just how ‘Swiss made’ their competitors are will likely benefit them. Ironically, Moser are fighting back by making the most of their much smaller marketing budget with these stunts, so ‘Stop the marketing bullsh#*!’ is a bold catch phrase under the circumstances. Funny and possibly effective though.

If it were branded Patek people here would buy it.
    "A man of little significance"

The video nailed it for me, but of course those buying into 'swiss' made are clueless tasteless muppets or want to throw some cash around so they can take the higher ground in their puny minds and be better than others - the actual definition of insecure.

Ok lets spot the homage details:

Rolex (?) - the pepsi bezel
    Panerai - numerals on dial and sandwich; crown guard
    Patek - the dial
    Cartier - crown
    Gerard Perregaux - Elaborate tourbillon bridge (that doesn't serve any purpose)
    IWC - the logo, I particularly like the Scaffhausen part....
    AP - the bezel shape
    Hublot - the lugs
    Breguet - hands (I think)

What have I missed? Is the actual case shape from Hublot too as well as the sides of the case? Also the bracelet - Patek or someone else?

I also note the Germans and Japanese have been spared ridicule. I'd love to have seen a spring drive esque silly power reserve on the dial.....

Master
    If only they had added a cartoon character to the dial, it would have been a classic. Maybe in the re-issue. Love the video!

Patek - the dial
    Cartier - crown
    AP - the bezel shape
    Hublot - the lugs

What have I missed? Is the actual case shape from Hublot too as well as the sides of the case? Also the bracelet - Patek or someone else?

I also note the Germans and Japanese have been spared ridicule. I'd love to have seen a spring drive esque silly power reserve on the dial.....
    There's a bit of RM in the side case profile with the overhanging sandwich plates around the mid case.

The bracelet also has a patekness, but most noticeably has an IWC style clasp, (ed meylan posted up a video on instagram).

Master
    ^
    GP Laureato bracelet, and in direct response to crazyp, the Tourbillon bridge in the GPs is very much functional.
    I don't believe there's any RM'ness to the case – it's all Hublot, obviously influenced by the RO & Nautilus.

Bumping this thread, as I missed it in my eagerness to share the revolting sight of that Moser.

I mean, I can really see what they're trying to do, but of course, the result is a dreadful-looking thing. The horology might be great, but you wouldn't want to wear it. Or associate with it. Or win it at an acution. We should be grateful that there's only one.

Oh, and I'm sure the Japanese are represented by the H-link Seiko-style bracelet!

Enjoyed the video. Not sure if it's a terribly wise move, but it hit several nails squarely on the head.

Patek - the dial
    Cartier - crown
    AP - the bezel shape
    Hublot - the lugs
    Bung it all together, in one watch - and you have:

A PIG IN KNICKERS.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^.
    I don't believe there's any RM'ness to the case – it's all Hublot, obviously influenced by the RO & Nautilus.
    not in overall design, but the sandwich is very RM design to me, Hublots are slab sided

I love this, it's wonderfully tongue in cheek

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I’m slightly confused.

I’m hoping the Watch is a joke? I mean it looks like a POS and you’d assume from the video it was. Yet you’ve got a hoodwinky article professing it to be genuine?

I’m hoping that they’ve just suckered hoodwinky in and the whole thing is a joke.

Doesn’t really make sense to take the Micky out of all the other manufacturers recycling stuff then using every bit of them for the Watch.

The video is funny and I get what they’re saying (still won’t stop the sheep though) but the joke is on them if that thing is real.
    Its both a joke and a dig.
    The watch will be auctioned for charity at a later date as a one off as i understand it.
    Joke isn't really on moser since it's bit of mischief for a good cause.

"Launch" video
    ROFLOL

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    GP Laureato bracelet, and in direct response to crazyp, the Tourbillon bridge in the GPs is very much functional.
    Oh I know on a GP it very much does - I was referring to how Moser have used it, it seems totally non functional as far as I can see.....

When someone makes a 'hommage' to this I'll get one
    Just for fun
    Tim

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

No dig at Omega? Maybe in the teak dial, but Omega aren't the only ones doing that (Tag, PP from a moments thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    No dig at Omega? Maybe in the teak dial, but Omega aren't the only ones doing that (Tag, PP from a moments thought).
    This is a very good point - Omega seem to have been missed - unless there is an essay on the back about going to the moon....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that omega float in the same bracket as those taken aim at.
    Ymmv.

Craftsman
    hmmmmm.... not for me thanks!

Master
    Oh I know on a GP it very much does - I was referring to how Moser have used it, it seems totally non functional as far as I can see.....
    Ah, right. Yes, their own Tourbillon isn't designed to be supported by a bridge, so this is just an aesthetic representation.

Master
    This is a very good point - Omega seem to have been missed - unless there is an essay on the back about going to the moon....
    If they release four more special editions this week, then Omega should be covered. My personal favourite was the one they released because it was Tuesday ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    If they release four more special editions this week, then Omega should be covered. My personal favourite was the one they released because it was Tuesday ;-)
    Not quite the full story.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Yeah I thought that, maybe there's a helium escape valve on the other side that we can't see, or something about the moon or James Bond on the case back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its both a joke and a dig.
    The watch will be auctioned for charity at a later date as a one off as i understand it.
    Joke isn't really on moser since it's bit of mischief for a good cause.
    That’s fair enough I didn’t read the hokinkee article through, just the start after watching the video (that I’d assumed was a joke).

I try not to read too much on there for fear of growing a beard and glasses!

Journeyman
    looks like it has upset someone. The video has disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    wow, gone from instagram too :O and anywhere else they posted it (and the reposts too)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Bet it was OP having a crown guard tantrum. 😂

That's a shame, I was looking forward to that this evening!

Master

The ultimate watch

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Wow, in marketing terms that’s a huge c*ck up if they’ve pulled it after one day. It was actually very successful in the sense that two of the top threads here are talking about it. There were close to 600 comments on the HODINKEE Instagram post of the watch, way more than normal, a disturbing number of which - possibly a majority - thought it was a serious watch, irony being quite confusing for our friends across the pond. Perhaps their anti-marketing stunt was more of a bombshell than they expected. Is it possible that some brands have complained that they were infringing in their intellectual property?

EDIT - video still in other places, but not on the original link earlier in this thread.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th January 2018 at 09:04.