closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whats the longest time you have had a watch sit in customs?

Whats the longest time you have had a watch sit in customs?

Hi all, I have been lurking on these forums for some time now but I think this is probably my first post.

I bought a user watch from elady in japan (after reading good things about them here) and it was dispatched very quickly and arrived in the UK within 2 days from ordering. From looking at the tracking, the watch has now been sitting at customs since the 1st Jan. I know the 1st was a public holiday but even so I would has expected it to have been processed by now. (I know I will have VAT to pay and a parcelforce handling fee).

Whats the worst case scenario here? Whats the longest you have has to wait for a watch to clear customs?

3 weeks once and never less than 1 week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh well, it could be another week or two before I get my hands on my new purchase then. I think in future I will spend the extra £100 or so and get one that is already in the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Hi all, I have been lurking on these forums for some time now but I think this is probably my first post.

I bought a user watch from elady in japan (after reading good things about them here) and it was dispatched very quickly and arrived in the UK within 2 days from ordering. From looking at the tracking, the watch has now been sitting at customs since the 1st Jan. I know the 1st was a public holiday but even so I would has expected it to have been processed by now. (I know I will have VAT to pay and a parcelforce handling fee).

Whats the worst case scenario here? Whats the longest you have has to wait for a watch to clear customs?
    Sounds typical given the holiday. Back in Spring I had a Japanese watch delayed in customs for nearly 2 weeks.

I have had an item sitting in UK customs since 2nd January, it finally moved to "Charges Raised" today, so I guess they've a fair backlog of items from Christmas/New Year.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have had an item sitting in UK customs since 2nd January, it finally moved to "Charges Raised" today, so I guess they've a fair backlog of items from Christmas/New Year.

M
    That's promising. Hopefully they will get mine done soon. Strange that they don't process the packages in the order they arrived though. As soon as mine changes status I will straight on the phone to pay the VAT to avoid any further delay.

That's promising. Hopefully they will get mine done soon. Strange that they don't process the packages in the order they arrived though. As soon as mine changes status I will straight on the phone to pay the VAT to avoid any further delay.
    Maybe they process them from different countries separately? Who know?!

I'm not bothered greatly about a slight delay, so won't chase the fees, but I was beginning to wonder if it had gone astray!

M

I spoke to parcelforce last night who have access to more detailed tracking. Apparently the parcel was handed over to parcelforce (from border force) on the 4th Jan and put into their high value storage. They thought it was strange that they have the parcel and the import fees haven't been added yet. Her advice was to wait another few days.

Still no update for this parcel. Parcelforce just told me that high value packages for big brand names get put to the side and inspected by a representative for the company. I guess this is good because they will catch any fakes coming into the country but it is frustrating when you ware waiting for a delivery.

Master
    Still no update for this parcel. Parcelforce just told me that high value packages for big brand names get put to the side and inspected by a representative for the company. I guess this is good because they will catch any fakes coming into the country but it is frustrating when you ware waiting for a delivery.
    It’s unlikely to be representatives from the brand owner-at least initially. The first inspection will be by Trading Standards. These teams are hugely overworked/under resourced especially recently hence the delay. If there are any suspicions then a brand representatives may be called in leading to further delays. As you say, frustrating but helpful for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My parcel (not a watch) is reported to be at my local delivery centre awaiting payment of fees.

I await the letter.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Contact the local office. You may be able to collect and pay any fees.

Master
    Bought once from Japan and it didn't take long. I got the watch within a week from the day it was shipped and paying the custom charged. Hope You'll have it soon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Parcelforce just told me that high value packages for big brand names get put to the side and inspected by a representative for the company. I guess this is good because they will catch any fakes coming into the country but it is frustrating when you ware waiting for a delivery.
    Wanna buy a bridge? ;-)

Naturally I can't say that this never happens but it's wholly implausible to think that it is a common or run-of-the-mill thing.

Blog Entries
    Whats the longest time you have had a watch sit in customs?
    Two weeks for me, coming from either USA or Japan (don't recall which). No queries or other communications from them. It just sat there for no apparent reason.

And then the tax demand arrived, I paid it, and the watch followed.

Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    Contact the local office. You may be able to collect and pay any fees.
    Yes, just go there, that’s what I always do.

Here you may have it from one weeks to one month. Then the packets are returned back to origin.

I own an old Seiko 6138 from Japan, that spent more than two months on trip.

I won it the night before the 2011 earthquacke. The owner was in the same region of Fukushima nuclear plant, although I believe far enough to be a secure place. Priority mail spent three weeks (usually not more than four days). I understand some infraestructures, including postal services, suffered incidences.

But once in Spain I needed more than a month in customs. Unfortunately 70s watches used radioactive materials for lume. As all the other brands, but maybe someone at customs thought that this came from inside Fukushima gardens. After all, there is no active lume in its dial after 40 years.

I had luck to finally receive it.

Well I am hopeful of it arriving this coming week sometime. To help pass the time I bought a period correct red omega box from eBay today (and yes the red outer material is disintegrating on it).
    It’s a speedmaster reduced that I’m waiting for.

Just updating to bring some closure to the thread in case anybody is in a similar position.

Tracking has just updated to say the watch has been released from customs and it should be arriving at my local depot tomorrow.

Master
    My watch has arrived in customs yesterday, the inpatient wait started today.

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    My watch has arrived in customs yesterday, the inpatient wait started today.
    I hope you don’t have to wait as long as I did. Parcelforce also added on their clearance fee to the VAT due. I was expecting it but wasn’t expecting it to be £25.

I hope you don’t have to wait as long as I did. Parcelforce also added on their clearance fee to the VAT due. I was expecting it but wasn’t expecting it to be £25.
    Apparently they charge differently according to the value of the goods (link):

In addition to any charges levied by HMRC, Parcelforce Worldwide charge a customs clearance fee of £11.25 for low value import goods and £25.00 for high value goods (valued at over £873)

I have to assume that they would justify this by saying that they have already paid HMRC on your behalf and so charge more for the larger financial commitment.

My wife was only out for 20 minutes today and that’s when Parcelforce tried to deliver my watch. Instead of giving it to a neighbour they put in our wheely bin round the back.