closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seagull ST-1812 not hand-winding - quick checks/repair?

Master

Seagull ST-1812 not hand-winding - quick checks/repair?

My OWC Milsub has stopped hand winding, it's always felt a little clicky but now won't hand wind although there are turning sounds and it winds on the wrist. I don't think it's in need of a service as such so are there are any quick checks I ought to do before sending it off to someone? Is there any chance magnetising would make the spring stick enough not to wind as I suspect it may have been moved to sit on top of a tablet case with magnet closure?

I'd read that some watch repairers were reluctant to work on chinese movements - is this still the case? I haven't asked Duncan at Genesis yet but will do idc, thanks.

Craftsman
    Nothing you can do without taking the movement out and dial off. It's probably something to do with the keyless works.
    Magnetism will not create this sort of issue.

Shouldn't be hard to find someone to work on this as it is an ETA clone.

Master
    ^^^^ thanks for the confirmation. I'll make a call next week.

Master
    Magnetism wouldn’t have effect on the main spring, the springs are actually very strong. If you’re sure it winds on the wrist you must have an issue with the manual wind itself rather than the spring.

Not a great point in guessing as it could be a few things. I’m not familiar with the seagull but... Essentially it’ll have a gear on the stem, when you wind it that gear interacts with an intermediate wheel which then turns the ratchet wheel which is attached to the main spring arbour.

It’s possible the gear is damaged but it could even be the bridge that sits above the mainspring has loose screws and as you wind it’s lifting the bridge and slipping between the stem gear and the intermediate winding wheel.

Master
    ^^^^ thanks, all beyond my fixing abilities so will be off to someone in due course.

Master
    Bump for this in case anyone on here fancies taking a paid look at it 😀

Master
    Just to say thank you to James for a much appreciated look at and fix of this. He did a very thorough job, wouldn't send it back until he was sure and kept me informed in detail throughout. Thanks a lot 😉

Master

Happy to help David, thanks.