closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is buying a foreign watch in the UK a problem

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Errr. There's nothing there about any "time limit" (6 month, 12 month or otherwise)

There's nothing about returning to the UK with tax free goods. When you return with goods that have not had vat paid, you pay the vat. Or at least you should. Especially on pateks. Lol

In any case, my point is more to do with people living in the UK, who by some means or other (there are many means), "export" the watch for consumption outside the EU or do other accounting manoeuvres . In actual fact, the watch ends up back in the UK (in some cases it doesn't leave). So now we have a UK watch where vat has been reclaimed but is being consumed in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Can someone direct me to the gov.uk pages that state the time limit. If there's a rule, it's there. I can't find it personally but happy to be corrected
    The limit is for the person/goods not reentering the country within 12 months. You are deemed to be permanently exporting the item- if that is not that case then...

You would still be potentially liable for VAT if you brought any VAT qualifying item into the UK though.

Errr. There's nothing there about any "time limit" (6 month, 12 month or otherwise)

There's nothing about returning to the UK with tax free goods. When you return with goods that have not had vat paid, you pay the vat. Or at least you should. Especially on pateks. Lol

In any case, my point is more to do with people living in the UK, who by some means or other (there are many means), "export" the watch for consumption outside the EU or do other accounting manoeuvres . In actual fact, the watch ends up back in the UK (in some cases it doesn't leave). So now we have a UK watch where vat has been reclaimed but is being consumed in the UK.
    That’s down to the person/company committing the offence.
    Darren Reay of Wights Watches springs to mind of someone currently spending time at Her Majesty’s pleasure for doing just that!

Craftsman

2.4.3 Entitled EC residents

For the purposes of this scheme only, a customer who is established in the EC but intends to permanently leave the EC for a minimum period of 12 months may also be treated as an overseas visitor. To qualify under this provision, the customer must:

• intend to leave the UK with the goods by the last day of the third month following that in which the goods were purchased for an immediate destination outside the EC
    • remain outside the EC for a period of at least 12 months; the customer must prove their eligibility to use the scheme by providing evidence of their intention to remain outside the EC for at least 12 months, typically this evidence would be one of the following:
    • overseas work permit
    • approved visa application
    • residency permit
    • export the goods having produced them, their receipts, and the VAT refund document to a Customs officer at the point of departure from the EC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post
    2.4.3 Entitled EC residents

For the purposes of this scheme only, a customer who is established in the EC but intends to permanently leave the EC for a minimum period of 12 months may also be treated as an overseas visitor. To qualify under this provision, the customer must:

• intend to leave the UK with the goods by the last day of the third month following that in which the goods were purchased for an immediate destination outside the EC
    • remain outside the EC for a period of at least 12 months; the customer must prove their eligibility to use the scheme by providing evidence of their intention to remain outside the EC for at least 12 months, typically this evidence would be one of the following:
    • overseas work permit
    • approved visa application
    • residency permit
    • export the goods having produced them, their receipts, and the VAT refund document to a Customs officer at the point of departure from the EC
    Thanks. I couldn't find it, but I've used it. When Customs tell me the rules I don't need the chapter/verse to check myself- thats what they are there for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That’s down to the person/company committing the offence.
    Darren Reay of Wights Watches springs to mind of someone currently spending time at Her Majesty’s pleasure for doing just that!
    Agreed. I've claimed VAT back on all of my watches except the SD43 as I wasn't prepared to break any rules and get done for it.

I think some people are just upset that they haven't had access to what in effect is huge legal discounts on expensive pieces...

Getting the VAT back is not the issue. If you are able to, great. Good for you. VAT is not intended for goods used outside the EU

The problem is the people using these schemes fraudulently. If you are claiming VAT back and using the goods outside the EU, that's great. If you are claiming VAT back and then selling the goods within the EU, you are clearly acting fraudulently

Needless to say, when I say "you", I'm not addressing any specific person.

Master
    Getting the VAT back is not the issue. If you are able to, great. Good for you. VAT is not intended for goods used outside the EU

The problem is the people using these schemes fraudulently. If you are claiming VAT back and using the goods outside the EU, that's great. If you are claiming VAT back and then selling the goods within the EU, you are clearly acting fraudulently

Not true in all cases. This is the contention. I've bought UK watches, exported ex-EU, claimed UK VAT and then brought them back at the end of my assignment without a vat obligation.

Them's the rules!

Master

Even if someone did do that.
    I would assume it is not the new buyer who is liable for any avoided VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Thanks. I couldn't find it, but I've used it. When Customs tell me the rules I don't need the chapter/verse to check myself- thats what they are there for.
    This just shows that you can reclaim VAT if you are based abroad. That was never the issue. The issue is whether VAT is due when you bring something into the UK. Unless there is a notice to say otherwise, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.gov.uk/moving-to-uk

"You have tax and customs responsibilities when you move your personal belongings to the UK from abroad."

In any case, my concern is not the expat who reclaims VAT on a watch once a year. My concern are the people who systematically abuse the system and most definitely don't disclose that VAT has been reclaimed on their "UK" watch when they are selling it unworn shortly after buying it. And the people who reclaim VAT fraudulently but actually use their watch in the UK. i.e those who knowingly abuse the system for their financial gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Even if someone did do that.
    I would assume it is not the new buyer who is liable for any avoided VAT.

No idea

But I imagine most people would want to avoid those watches. There'd only be a minority who'd say they're happy to buy a watch that has had VAT fraud carried out on it

Master
    No idea

But I imagine most people would want to avoid those watches. There'd only be a minority who'd say they're happy to buy a watch that has had VAT fraud carried out on it
    I’m not exactly sure how you would know if a watch had or hadn’t to be honest so as I say I will proceed as normal when purchasing watches.
    What was your check on the guy selling the PP if he had said that no he hadn’t reclaimed VAT.
    Had you some further checks in mind?

No idea

This is the first thing I ask on all my second hand watch purchases.
    Not 😂

Blog Entries
    No idea

It is completely irrelevant.

The fraudster is the one liable for the crime, not the innocent purchaser. The watch is not magically in some way tainted.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    It is completely irrelevant.

The fraudster is the one liable for the crime, not the innocent purchaser. The watch is not magically in some way tainted.
    This^^^

The issue really is a storm in a teacup.

Unless you’re the one fraudulently reclaiming the VAT

I also believed it was completely irrelevant. Do any of the dealers have a view on this, is this something that could or would influence your decision making.

This^^^

The issue really is a storm in a teacup.

Unless you’re the one fraudulently reclaiming the VAT
    You'd be happy to buy a watch that has had vat fraud carried out on it, as long as it wasn't you who did the fraud?

Is buying a foreign watch in the UK a problem

You'd be happy to buy a watch that has had vat fraud carried out on it, as long as it wasn't you who did the fraud?
    In a nutshell, yes. Unless I was buying it from the person committing the fraud AND knew that they were committing the fraud.

The watch isn’t somehow “tainted” by the criminal activity of a previous owner!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 11th January 2018 at 08:13.

Unless smuggled in a body cavity.

Master
    I think its fair to say most people don't really give a monkeys.

And what about repairs to watches bought from the grey market. Can they be repaired locally?

In a nutshell, yes. Unless I was buying it from the person committing the fraud AND knew that they were committing the fraud.

The watch isn’t somehow “tainted” by the criminal activity of a previous owner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unless smuggled in a body cavity.
    Or it was Gary Glitter’s watch

Master
    Unless it's stolen nobody really gives a sh1t - apart from the uber-anal!

It's that simple. UK watch sold in the UK raises no future issues. Doesn't matter if it's been on it's holidays...

Blog Entries
    Yes, me too.

Master
    Do you work for the VAT man by any chance

Journeyman
    I was reading about this on TRF and some people did mention that there had been an update on Rolex that caused a lot of confusion , something about if it had been bought via a grey dealer it could void the warranty. Im after a two tone sub at the moment and did find out only a few days old brought over from italy , but it was only a few hundred less so in the end thought better to get direct from UK AD , wrongly or rightly .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    I was reading about this on TRF and some people did mention that there had been an update on Rolex that caused a lot of confusion , something about if it had been bought via a grey dealer it could void the warranty. Im after a two tone sub at the moment and did find out only a few days old brought over from italy , but it was only a few hundred less so in the end thought better to get direct from UK AD , wrongly or rightly .
    Last time I checked Italy and UK are part of the EU - no issue.

Anyway - I only just joined in the discussion and haven't read the last n pages - but I am happy to buy a watch wherever it was bought - in or out of the UK - as long as it wasn't stolen goods or fake. All this is fake news!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Last time I checked Italy and UK are part of the EU - no issue.

Anyway - I only just joined in the discussion and haven't read the last n pages - but I am happy to buy a watch wherever it was bought - in or out of the UK - as long as it wasn't stolen goods or fake. All this is fake news!

To be honest I have been kicking myself slightly , but it wasn't that much cheaper compared to getting out an AD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm180 View Post
    To be honest I have been kicking myself slightly , but it wasn't that much cheaper compared to getting out an AD.
    Welcome to the forum! It's a crazy place, but quite fun..

Martyn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Welcome to the forum! It's a crazy place, but quite fun..

Martyn
    Thanks , it all looks good so far !.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Do you work for the VAT man by any chance
    No. I'm a doctor now but previously worked as an accountant. I don't pay my membership fees any more so no longer chartered