closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A speedmaster surprise

A speedmaster surprise

In the 20 odd years I've been interested in watches I've had loads come and go and iirc 4 omegas. I've never however owned a speedmaster, I've always been a bit uninterested in them and seen them as a bit dull (no offence intended). I also felt they would be too small given my leanings to deepseas, panerais etc.

I have however bought one out the blue in the last couple of weeks, I don't know what made me do it, but it looked good and the price was right for me. I am so glad I did, I have been genuinely surprised by it and wished I'd done it years ago.

My fears over size were unfounded, it looks spot on to me. It wears incredibly comfortably on the bracelet and the Nato I've just put it on. Despite being quite new it has a nice vintage look I think (helped by an aged Nato), and it has a nice feel to it, its rounded edges are a pleasing change to the sharp edges and bezels of the rolex.

The weight is good, again a refreshing change from the big pieces I've been wearing recently. I also like the whole manual wind thing, and look forward to the 30 odd winds each morning. I've not taken it off yet, I really like it much much more than I expected.

A couple of snaps to tell the story. Any other speedmaster fans out there, where will this new interest take me??

]

]

Nice, never really understood why the patches value is so reasonable in comparison to all of the other LE's

Enjoy it!

Great watch!!!

One that I should have kept.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I also like the whole manual wind thing, and look forward to the 30 odd winds each morning. I've not taken it off yet, I really like it much much more than I expected.
    I liked polishing the scratches out of hesalite too, it's like polishing a favourite pair of shoes.

Craftsman
    I never understood what the fuss was with the Speedy and all the nonsense and inconvenience of a manual wind watch. On an impulse I bought one five weeks ago and now I completely understand and agree with all the comments about the case design and the size is perfect. It is such a versatile and timeless classic and the daily winding ritual is WIS heaven!

I fear the new interest may take you into obsessive researching of further limited editions, vintage etc and inevitably further purchases!

The ‘patch’ is a really nice varient of the speedy. I haven’t seen one for sale for a long time now.

Master
    It long ago became a cliche with regard to the Speedmaster's classic status. IMO, it is what it is; a stone cold horological icon that equipped mankind on the greatest feat of human endeavour in history.

Omega's case design with the lyre lugs is absolutely timeless, the simple yet robust manual movement with its little quirks is a delight and bravo to Omega for continuing to produce it, despite the endless limited editions, of which yours is my favourite.

I'm on my third 3570 now. Regret selling my previous 2, but I'm able to enjoy mine now in rotation with a couple of other watches and somehow, this makes me cherish my latest one even more.

Congratulations on yours, you made one of the wisest watch choices available.

By the way, for a little screen time, Russell Crowe wears your exact model in State of Play, great film too.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Nice, never really understood why the patches value is so reasonable in comparison to all of the other LE's

Enjoy it!
    May I ask why it's nicknamed the 'patch'?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    May I ask why it's nicknamed the 'patch'?
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/spee...-42-30-01-001/

A speedmaster surprise

I completely understand your sentiments OP. I’ve always liked watches but got really interested 18 months ago. The first 2nd hand watch I ever bought with the intention of enjoying for a while then moving on was a Speedmaster at the recommendation of a very good friend that introduced me to this forum. Like you I was blown away. It was the first manual watch I’ve owned and the first with no date.
    I still own it even though I keep meaning to sell to try something else. Just can’t let it go, even though I’ve since bought another limited edition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

similar happened to me years ago - bought my first speedy, well I actually traded a Heuer Monza that I'd bought for £500 for it as I was not gelling with the monza
    having read a lot about speedies all over the place so thought I should try one anyway even if I did not like them to see what the fuss was about...

when it arrived and I slapped it on my wrist it immediately 'made sense' and absolutely love them - ditto the above, since then bought another limited ed. and should keep that one and sell the 'plain' one but I know i'll regret it

I love my 3570, like has been said its a timeless design! It works with so many different strap combinations that you can keep changing them up for a different look regularly.

Master
    After all the years, the standard, hexalite Speedy Pro is the one to have, not just for historic reasons, but because it is the best design. That's why it got selected in the first place.
    As an example, compare the standard version with the latest Speedy Tuesday. Do it in gloomy conditions. Then you will see why black sub dials were the original design choice.
    Limited editions are fun, and nice to have. But they don't improve on the original. Not to me, anyway. And you can always buy the standard version, at a discount, without bother.

I liked that I had bought a new watch which looked like an old watch without resorting to aged lume (although I don’t mind that actually). At the same time it works as an everyday item without having to compromise.

Craftsman
    That’s a cracking combo on the NATO, wish I’d been quick enough to get the one on SC recently.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    After all the years, the standard, hexalite Speedy Pro is the one to have, not just for historic reasons, but because it is the best design. That's why it got selected in the first place.
    As an example, compare the standard version with the latest Speedy Tuesday. Do it in gloomy conditions. Then you will see why black sub dials were the original design choice.
    Limited editions are fun, and nice to have. But they don't improve on the original. Not to me, anyway. And you can always buy the standard version, at a discount, without bother.
    Have to agree with that. I'm not keen on LEs.
    The plan old Speedmaster is the best. That's said the one from the OP is the one to have if you want a Limited Edition. It doesn't want to be too different from the original, but commemorating the Speedy history.
    Great that Omega managed to keep the original Speedy in production. It's pretty much like you could walk into a Jaguar dealer today and leave with a brand new E-Type. (Except that watches improved less than cars in the last couple of decades, generally speaking)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My favourite LE! well done that man :)

Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    I love my 3570, like has been said its a timeless design! It works with so many different strap combinations that you can keep changing them up for a different look regularly.

The only strap that doesn’t look great on a Speedmaster is a rubber one. I’ve tried every type of strap you can think of and it suited the Speedy even bracelets, from an Omega mesh to my favourite, a vintage metal rally bracelet for that cool Jason King look. (I wish I’d taken a photo)

I originally owned the OPs Speedy and when I bought it, it was a toss up between that and a 16610LV! Ironically I placed it on the SC to raise funds towards finally getting the LV.

I’m glad it’s gone to a loving home Brad.

I have been lucky enough to get one about seven years ago. Apart from fitting really nice òn the wrist one of the big surprises was how legible it was under most circumstances. I know that shouldn't really be a surprise given its history. I don't think I will ever sell it, but you should new ever say never. It still give me a buzz every time I wear it.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I’m glad it’s gone to a loving home
    It has indeed BV, thanks for opening my eyes to the speedy world, although I believe you have now opened a whole new rabbit hole for me to get stuck in to....I'm learning fast. Even paid a visit to the omega boutique in the royal exchange for kicks today.

Thanks for the positive comments guys, I am very pleased with it.

Now, if anyone can point me to a 1973 version please I'd appreciate that.

Master
    That looks lovely! Nice to see the new owner really getting on with it.

Master
    I totally agree with the OP. The Speedmaster just feels so right on the wrist and is a timeless design. I currently have three, a '68 Transitional, a first version Snoopy and a 3-4 year old 3570. I have had loads of Speedies over the past 15 years and don't ever intend to be without one. It truly is the watch which would be the one, if I could only have a single watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    I totally agree with the OP. The Speedmaster just feels so right on the wrist and is a timeless design. I currently have three, a '68 Transitional, a first version Snoopy and a 3-4 year old 3570. I have had loads of Speedies over the past 15 years and don't ever intend to be without one. It truly is the watch which would be the one, if I could only have a single watch.
    Ah but which one would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    The ‘patch’ is a really nice varient of the speedy. I haven’t seen one for sale for a long time now.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Likewise. 'In spite of the winding' I wear my Speedmaster more than any other watch. It's a stone cold classic design, and arguably the most iconic watch in the world. Dress up, dress down, easy to read, functional with chrono. No hassle of setting date when picking up. Even the daily 30 turns or so are a nice rhythm in the morning.
    In the rotation it always ends up staying on the wrist much longer than any other.
    Some of the LE's are really nice - have one or two I'd especially like, perhaps one day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Ah but which one would it be?
    Most likely the '68 Transitional. I have often said that it, my 2254.50 Seamaster and the nicer of my Heuer Pasadenas would be the last to go.
    Having said that, my very first Speedmaster was a new one, then I started to have an interest in older models, buying various watches, including two '68s within months of each other and a 1962 2998-6. Strangely the 2998 got very little wear; somehow it didn't interest me as much as I thought it would. Then I sold them all apart from the nicer Transitional and the Snoopy, but bought the modern one following a WTB which was really a search for another, older tritium to have as an everyday watch. I realised that I really did miss my first one and, after all, it can be cashed again in a heartbeat. Now the Tranny and the 3750 get the most wear.

Craftsman
    I think that may me my favourite watch of all...have been thinking for last year or so if i should realise a few pieces and go that way, probably will but still on the fence. Slowly being pushed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I think that may me my favourite watch of all...have been thinking for last year or so if i should realise a few pieces and go that way, probably will but still on the fence. Slowly being pushed over.
    Go for it!
    It's just a matter of time...

Man, I'm in discussions on buying my 3rd now. I've got the bug for sure. Going to have to clear some space, I can't afford this new interest.

Man, I'm in discussions on buying my 3rd now. I've got the bug for sure. Going to have to clear some space, I can't afford this new interest.

I feel bad now. Sorry.

Master

Never had one!!

Must admit in a good 27 years of collecting watches I’ve never had an original black Speedmaster like this one!!
    I’ve had a few of the others, like a bi metal one once and a Schumacher variant I believe? Both of which I kept for a few weeks before sending on their way!!!

They have always underwhelmed me in pictures, except for the true vintage stepped dial pieces that have sometimes a brownish tint to them?!??
    I really must try one on at some point and maybe I’d love it like yourself ?
    One of the guys on here was getting a great discount on these for a while and with the stunning box etc it looked a great buy and I was sorely tempted at the time!!!

I hope you enjoy yours anyway!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by subchris View Post
    Must admit in a good 27 years of collecting watches I’ve never had an original black Speedmaster like this one!!
    I’ve had a few of the others, like a bi metal one once and a Schumacher variant I believe? Both of which I kept for a few weeks before sending on their way!!!

They have always underwhelmed me in pictures, except for the true vintage stepped dial pieces that have sometimes a brownish tint to them?!??
    I really must try one on at some point and maybe I’d love it like yourself ?
    One of the guys on here was getting a great discount on these for a while and with the stunning box etc it looked a great buy and I was sorely tempted at the time!!!

I hope you enjoy yours anyway!!

Chris
    Quite honestly pictures don’t tell anything with these. I started shopping for a reduced speedie but the shop was asking way too much (£1500) popped in my AD to look at the moonwatch convinced it would be too big and not right.. 20 minutes later... 5 week on the wrist had started! They are as people have said a classic but for me the perfect watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    In the 20 odd years I've been interested in watches I've had loads come and go and iirc 4 omegas. I've never however owned a speedmaster, I've always been a bit uninterested in them and seen them as a bit dull (no offence intended). I also felt they would be too small given my leanings to deepseas, panerais etc.

I have however bought one out the blue in the last couple of weeks, I don't know what made me do it, but it looked good and the price was right for me. I am so glad I did, I have been genuinely surprised by it and wished I'd done it years ago.

My fears over size were unfounded, it looks spot on to me. It wears incredibly comfortably on the bracelet and the Nato I've just put it on. Despite being quite new it has a nice vintage look I think (helped by an aged Nato), and it has a nice feel to it, its rounded edges are a pleasing change to the sharp edges and bezels of the rolex.

The weight is good, again a refreshing change from the big pieces I've been wearing recently. I also like the whole manual wind thing, and look forward to the 30 odd winds each morning. I've not taken it off yet, I really like it much much more than I expected.

A couple of snaps to tell the story. Any other speedmaster fans out there, where will this new interest take me??

Thanks for that insight, I've been thinking of getting a Speedy quite a bit lately. Was very tempted by the TinTin on here a while back. More food for thought!!

Mmmm, I've got sucked in a bit. I really liked the speedmaster 50th I bought so decided I needed another. My watch loving son will be enjoying this one.... soonish.! It cost me a lot more than the first but there aren't that many around.

Then I started looking a bit wider, and you can buy some very nice pins to complete the set. A bit OTT, but they're not making any more of them I'm sure...

But then that leaves one set incomplete, couldn't have that could I?

Oh, and to top it off there is a rather nice book where I can read all about it.

Crazy hobby!

You definitely got the bug then! I think that's really nice, two of the same specials for you and your son. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Hey, the Nixon Speedy in the article has steel springbars - I was under the impression that was a bad idea for gold watches ...

On topic, I'm a fan of this version, too, it gives the Speedy that bit of colour I can't seem to do without in a watch, myself.

I looked everywhere for the booklet before I listed my Speedy to add to it, I think it went the way of most of my “collectibles stuff” when she does one of her tidy ups!

Seriously though, two 50th Speedmasters? I said it before but I really am sorry.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked everywhere for the booklet before I listed my Speedy to add to it, I think it went the way of most of my “collectibles stuff” when she does one of her tidy ups!

Seriously though, two 50th Speedmasters? I said it before but I really am sorry.

Craftsman
    Mmmm, I've got sucked in a bit. I really liked the speedmaster 50th I bought so decided I needed another. My watch loving son will be enjoying this one.... soonish.! It cost me a lot more than the first but there aren't that many around.

Then I started looking a bit wider, and you can buy some very nice pins to complete the set. A bit OTT, but they're not making any more of them I'm sure...

But then that leaves one set incomplete, couldn't have that could I?

Oh, and to top it off there is a rather nice book where I can read all about it.

Crazy hobby!
    I'm seeing double, just can't help yourself

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a watch with 50th Anniversary on the dial and thats very very nice mmmmmm :)