closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: At last I understand.

Hybrid View

Master

At last I understand.

I had never quite understood the hype around the ceramic Daytona. I had tried on a SS and TT model and was a bit meh about them. But today I tried the white dial ceramic, and WOW. Felt a perfect size, which surprised me as SS/TT had felt small.
    Downside, it is a 2016 piece for sale at 16k. Just have to wait. And wait.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It does look good without a doubt.

Craftsman
    Looks rather nice..... and at least it doesn't have one of those hideous cyclops :-)

Master
    Yes and unlike the 116520, it is very legible.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Beautiful, though I'd have to sell my house to afford one ;-(

I was sat in a dealers last week with an 'as new' 116500 ceramic in one hand, and a vintage 16520 'zenith' in the other.

Both were virtually the same price.

I bought the 'classic'.

Watchfinder listed one last week for £16,750.00 and it sold in a day or two. The latest one at £17,460.00 must be a PB for them, but it is brand new and fully stickered. I bet it's gone by the weekend.

In general finding one under £15k is not easy, so one in the £13ks is a great price and would be easy to sell and recoup the purchase price if necessary. Buy one at a premium and leave your name on the lists. If you get the call you can keep the new one and get your money back on the old one.

The 116500LN is very different to the 16520. I had the 16520 at the end of 2015 and sold it after a week, although in less than 12 months that has gained about £8k in value - typical.

It was intestesting to see the comments earlier in the thread about the cyclops. If you want a watch with a completely unnecessary cyclops that makes it look bloody aweful, get yourself a SD43, with that Rolex have clearly shown how to f**k up a perfectly good watch.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th January 2018 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Watchfinder listed one last week for £16,750.00 and it sold in a day or two. The latest one at £17,460.00 must be a PB for them, but it is brand new and fully stickered. I bet it's gone by the weekend.
    And it's gone, it didn't even make it to the weekend. Haywood has today listed a third one at £13,999.00 which must be the cheapest in the U.K., excluding private sales and list price for the chosen few.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Looks rather nice..... and at least it doesn't have one of those hideous cyclops :-)
    Do Daytona’s come with optional cyclops?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Do Daytona’s come with optional cyclops?
    From my limited understanding of Rolex watches, the hideous cyclops are only fitted to models that have a date window, which happens to be so small that anyone with less than perfect eyesight can't see the date. To my mind, fitting a cyclops is an admission that Rolex got the basic design wrong and had to come up with a bodge to fix their error.

Master
    From my limited understanding of Rolex watches, the hideous cyclops are only fitted to models that have a date window, which happens to be so small that anyone with less than perfect eyesight can't see the date. To my mind, fitting a cyclops is an admission that Rolex got the basic design wrong and had to come up with a bodge to fix their error.
    Its taking them a long time to fix their ‘error’ isn’t it. Idiots.

And no date either.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Never seen any "in the flesh", so to speak..They may well look lovely..I could never afford one......just as well, as I doubt Id be able to read it anyway!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Never seen any "in the flesh", so to speak..They may well look lovely..I could never afford one......just as well, as I doubt Id be able to read it anyway!
    I don’t think you’re missing much Daney.......at a glance they look like a TAG F1 to me

Paul

Craftsman
    16 grand for a used watch? Wow, the world (or at least the UK) has gone mad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Given they buy them in at £13k that’s quite a markup.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I noticed that earlier too. There are plenty available around the 16k mark so can't see it shifting for a while.

Master
    Daytonas are nice watches; but that is all they are....nice watches. I enjoy mine, but it is no more 'special' than many other models. To me at least. The rest seems just hype. In truth, the Speedie Pro is very attractive at 40% of the price. Easier to read and use too. Probably not as precise or well-built , but an awful lot of watch for the price. If it is good enough for NASA.....

Master
    Have you got ripped jeans on?

Master
    All the great luxury brands...of which Rolex is a key member...have to pull-off a difficult trick. They need to project an image of luxury and exclusivity, while actually turning into mass-marketers. Thus we have Mercedes producing the best selling saloon in the UK (C class), while the BMW series 3, outsells the Ford Mondeo.
    Same with Rolex. It sells around 800,000 watches every year, but must still seem hard to get and desirable. Quite a high-wire act. They are the masters at this game.

When handled it does come alive and you realise just how perfect the dimensions and design are.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Our Lord HM has a few “cheap” (relative term) ones available at present. I am tempted to part ex my 116503.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Our Lord HM has a few “cheap” (relative term) ones available at present. I am tempted to part ex my 116503.
    The two whites have just been quite heavily reduced and must be two of the cheapest in the U.K. I would do it whilst the opportunity is there. He did have three, but the other one found a good home.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th January 2018 at 18:57.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    The two whites have just been quite heavily reduced and must be two of the cheapest in the U.K. I would go it whilst the opportunity is there. He did have three, but the other one found a good home.
    Indeed.