closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this acceptable? (Boot content)

Is this acceptable? (Boot content)

This is a pair of Cheaney Tweed C, bought 3 years ago and worn sparingly in rotation with several other pairs of boots in Autumn/Winter. They’re always stored with shoe trees in. My initial thought is that I wouldn’t expect a commando sole on a far cheaper pair of boots to split so soon (or indeed at all). Am I expecting too much of a supposed “quality” pair of boots?

Acceptable? Not sure...I’d be annoyed though! They will be able to resole them for you, but I think the refurb costs are £110. Might be worth a polite email to them, their customer service is pretty good, you never know they might discount the rate. My tweed Cs also need refurbishment, the problem I have with all my boots is I wear the leather on the inside of the heel!

Edit: the interior of the commando sole looks very worn down - what have you been doing in them?!

Edit 2: from the photo in the other thread the commando sole looks completely knackered...you must have done some serious miles in them! I suspect it’s just time for a refurbishment....
    Last edited by Kirk280; 8th January 2018 at 20:09.

Craftsman
    Evenin',
    No personal experience with Cheaney, but I have had a fair amount of quality boots and shoes over the years. I have never had anything like this and I would be disappointed personally.

A failure in the rubber sole rather than the overall boot construction, they have had a fair amount of wear but I have worn Dainite soles until the leather beyond is exposed with never a hint of splitting.

Does it say who the sole is made by?

I would email Cheaney, they make things right for you, I would expect a sole to be good until the lugs had worn down beyond that. Hopefully they will resole for free if not I would cross them off my list... plenty more to use, Churches, Herring etc.
    Best regards,
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Do you (often) ride a bike or a motorcycle wearing them?

Just re-sole the bastards and move on.. Seriously.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I really haven’t, Kirk. I have other boots for dog-walking and several other pairs for day to day. I’m a sedentary worker and on work days I struggle to do 4k steps! If the soles do look worn (and I think the photo is a little misleading in that respect) it can only be another indication that the it is not of the expected quality.

PS I batter my dog-walking boots and have never had a failure like this - my Timberlands simply wore down and the current Loakes are just soaking up the miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I really haven’t, Kirk. I have other boots for dog-walking and several other pairs for day to day. I’m a sedentary worker and on work days I struggle to do 4k steps! If the soles do look worn (and I think the photo is a little misleading in that respect) it can only be another indication that the it is not of the expected quality.

PS I batter my dog-walking boots and have never had a failure like this - my Timberlands simply wore down and the current Loakes are just soaking up the miles.
    Drop them to the supplier with a kindly written but objective letter

See what they say

Looks shocking

Master
    Proberly a manufacturing defect as other have said contact cheaney the ones I have had have been great qauility unfortunately the same can't be said about cheaney fit in my case

That central square tread is nearly worn flat, just looked t my 3 pairs of trickers with the same sole and the most worn pair are nearly as worn as that but not quite, interestingly there is a hairline crack in the sole which will soon propagate into a split like yours.
    They must be about 4 years old. I find it hard to believe you have worn yours "sparingly".
    Would I complain? No because they are clearly nearly worn out/down.

I thought Cheaney wheels parted oceans, cured disease, settled wars ? No ?
    Oh they're just another pair of boots then ? Sling 'em and buy some more (not Cheaney)

Fashion boot problem TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I appreciate all the replies, even those implying that I'm lying about my usage. I'm not BTW.

I have to say that I bought them expecting them to be a cut above "fashion boots" but realise that I may have been wrong and got carried away by the hype for them on here. I've e-mailed Cheaney but don't really expect very much, so I've also ordered a replacement pair from Trickers sale (although judging by one of the comments above, that may be a mistake). I do fear that its a case of the law of diminishing returns and I might be as well sticking to the Grensons/Loakes/Barkers of this world which can be picked up relatively cheaply in sales and then chucked when they wear out.
    Last edited by Optimum; 10th January 2018 at 18:53.

I appreciate all the replies, even those implying that I'm lying about my usage. I'm not BTW.

I have to say that I bought them expecting them to be a cut above "fashion boots" but realise that I may have been wrong and got carried away by the hype for them on here. I've e-mailed Cheaney but don't really expect very much, so I've also ordered a replacement pair from Trickers sale (although judging by one of the comments above, that may be a mistake). I do fear that its a case of the law of diminishing returns and I might be as well sticking to the Grensons/Loakes/Barkers of this world which can be picked up releatively cheaply in sales and then chucked when they wear out.

I think that's it TBH.

They are expensive boots but they don't seem to last any longer in the rough stuff than boots that are far cheaper.

Be interested to hear what Cheaney have to say.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Fashion boots or no, unless I'm much mistaken those are standard Commando soles as used by all the better 'name' manufacturers, Trickers, Alfred Sargent, Crockett & Jones, etc, etc. They shouldn't be splitting like that - at least not in my experience. I'd suspect a manufacturing defect in the sole itself, and I'd expect the factory (if made in the UK) to be sympathetic.

Given the cost, I wouldn't find it acceptable.

Master
    Yes.

Wait...

No.

Blog Entries
    My flip flops have a tougher life and are still there!

If you are really angry, demand free restauration or threaten to plaster it all over the interweb.
    If not, move on to another brand.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I've just worn through the sole like that on a pair of Blundstones. It took me 7 years though and that's 5 days a week of wear, admittedly in an office, but I do walk to and from work every now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I've just worn through the sole like that on a pair of Blundstones. It took me 7 years though and that's 5 days a week of wear, admittedly in an office, but I do walk to and from work every now and again.
    Those office carpets can be ferocious!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My advice.... I'd clean the dog shite out of the tread before you send them back.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    My advice.... I'd clean the dog shite out of the tread before you send them back.
    That did make me laugh

Master
    If you allow a sole to get to that point then I would question how you look after your footwear. As soon as a small split appeared why would you continue wearing them? They should have been sent off for re-sole as soon as they started to deteriorate. Either that or contact the seller
    Last edited by Schofie; 12th January 2018 at 19:34.

Are you double jointed or have you taken your boot off?

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    If you allow a sole to get to that point then I would question how you look after your footwear. As soon as a small split appeared why would you continue wearing them? They should have been sent off for re-sole as soon as they started to deteriorate. Either that or contact the seller
    There was no small split or I would have stopped wearing them at that point. If there was any warning it was too small to notice. I have to check the commando soles whenever I come in as they pick up small stones between the treads which scratch the floors.

Craftsman

Cool Had same thing happen

Decades ago with first pair of nubuck Timberlands. Replaced at no cost. Was told it was because of all the stairs I climb up and and back down. Bizarre explanation but replacement suited me fine.

Just to tie this up, Cheaney are not being particularly helpful and are telling me to send them to the seller. They seem to stock very few Cheaney now and all are in the sale, suggesting they no longer have an on going relationship. Given that and the 3 years that has elapsed, I can't see the seller giving a monkeys. Life's too short so I'm not going to waste any more time flogging a dead horse.

I remembered earlier that a few years back I had to return a pair of Liffeys bought direct from Cheaney in their sale as they were obviously seconds but hadn't been advertised as such. Although I've got 3 other pairs of their shoes, there a too many other options available not to switch my allegiance in future.

Is this acceptable? (Boot content)

Social media (@cheaneyshoes) is your friend. A little effort, but not much.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.