closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA 2824-2 Watches

ETA 2824-2 Watches

Just thinking about dive watches and tracking down one with a good ETA 2824-2 movement, do you think worth the premium over their Japanese counterparts? Also what would I have to budget to get a decent watch with ETA new? Also any recommendations?

ETA 2824-2 Watches

Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    Just thinking about dive watches and tracking down one with a good ETA 2824-2 movement, do you think worth the premium over their Japanese counterparts? Also what would I have to budget to get a decent watch with ETA new? Also any recommendations?
    Re budget: how long is a price of string? All kinds of watches use that movement from Breitling to small boutique brands so the price will vary from a few hundred to thousands. Sometimes the more expensive brands will use Top or chronometer grade ETAs sometimes not.
    I would be looking at buying a watch I like rather looking to ensure the movement is a particular off the shelf movement. Most mass produced movements (ETA, Soprod, Seiko, Citizen) deliver good timing performance. One issue re ETA is availability of parts for servicing, this may be worth considering in the long term.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th January 2018 at 19:10.

Craftsman
    Dive watch? Go Seiko, you will never look back.

£425 for one of these seems good value!

And at £340, this is a steal!

If you search, I'm sure you'll find many comparison discussions regarding ETA vs. various Japanese movements. You pay your money and takes your choice though, it's very much a personal decision.

My personal decision, were I in the market for a new watch, would be to avoid the common Miyotas, since I understand they aren't readily serviceable due to non-availability of parts (essentially these are throwaway movements, cheaper to replace than repair) and like the idea of being able to get someone to service and a repair a movement if required. Having said that Swatch's games around restricting parts would also have to be factored in to any decision...

(Happy to be corrected about Miyota movements if what I've said isn't the case.)

get a seiko if you are on a tight budget , if not go swiss all the way

Craftsman
    Miyota 8200 is in a load of Citizen dive watches and is well regarded and i suppose a comparable workhorse to the Seiko 7S26. I have both in watches that are continually abused beaters and both have run reliably for donkeys. My preference is the 7S26 as it sits in a Seiko SKX011 which i love but there is nothing really between them.
    Look at the SRP777 Turtle from Seiko, cheaper than the two you are looking at, it has a hacking, hand winding and automatic movement, drilled lugs and a classic design that you may like. It has the 4R36 movement and i think is better value than those two.
    As to servicing, don't worry about the 8200, you can get a new movement for £50-00 which is a shed load cheaper than a service.
    I do not service watches ( apart from my dive watch that i actually use for diving) unless a problem arises and save a fortune as the then necessary service invariably sorts the problem. Or, if it is a 7S26 or the 8200 i would just buy a new movement...which i never have and i have had both of those about 20 years.

There's plenty of eta 2824 under 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glycine combat sub ??

In my limited experience the low end miyota movements tend to be more accurate than the low end seikos.

Great value for money secondhand and 1000m making it perfectly safe when washing the dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    i've not seen a U1 for less than a grand second hand, that is a lot of money. Mind you the OP has not stated what their thoughts on price for what they were looking for was, but as he was looking to a 2824 i suppose you can get one in watches from £300 to £5000. Gets me wondering what the cheapest one out there is?

Im looking for lower price and also ease of shifting on if it doesnt get worn. If I bought a £300 watch with an ETA 2824-2 vs say a watch with Seiko/Miyota auto in for same price, would it be easier to sell on and lose less with the ETA watch?

I thought that the swatch group was limiting sales of ETA movements to there own brands only. Isn't this why more and more brands are using sellita movements?

Master
    Im looking for lower price and also ease of shifting on if it doesnt get worn. If I bought a £300 watch with an ETA 2824-2 vs say a watch with Seiko/Miyota auto in for same price, would it be easier to sell on and lose less with the ETA watch?
    Potentially the other way around due to restriction of parts and the associated cost come service time.

Master
    Not necessarily, many watches with Seiko 6R15 movements about that price, all easy to sell and also maintain their value. Including Dagaz models, Seiko's own Sarb series, especially Alpinists, Sarx series (used), Sumo's, ad infinitum.

How does the Seiko 6R15 compare to Seiko NH35a?

How does the Seiko 6R15 compare to Seiko NH35a?
    NH35 is the unbranded version of the 4R36, so the 6R15 is is the better movement.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I thought that the swatch group was limiting sales of ETA movements to there own brands only. Isn't this why more and more brands are using sellita movements?
    Apparently supply has become a bit easier, I think that's why halios have gone 2824 for the new seaforth.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

What do people make of this one with the NH35 movement?

https://www.williaml1985.com/en/dive...256221822.html

Steinhart do some good watches with elaborate grade eta inside for not much money. I heard..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Do Steinhart have good following/resale value?

Do Steinhart have good following/resale value?
    Yes!

Longines Legend Diver and Squale.